15 Top Most Home Remedies For Oily Hair
If you thought those with oily hair has the world at their feet, think again!! The grass sure does look greener on the other side, especially when you don’t wear the same mane or tresses. It’s no fun having long hair, which looks limp and oily. An oily scalp can be caused due to various factors like heredity, hormonal imbalance, diet and stress. However, if you do have oily hair, here are a few secrets on how to tackle them all.
In this article, we would discuss about various ingredients that actually work wonders on treating oily hair. You would be told which ingredient to use and which not to, completely. Remember, it’s all about having the right pH balance for the scalp, so that the hair is not too oily or dry at any given point of time. To ensure that the medium is satiated, please read on and be well informed.
Best Home Remedies For Oily Hair:
Here are some of the best and simple home remedies for oily hair that can handle your hair in safe manner brings back long and healthy hair.
1. If you walk into the kitchen, you’d find a bottle of white vinegar coming in handy to beat the oiliness from your hair. Yes, we know vinegar may not be aromatically pleasing, but it does help. Use white vinegar or apple cider if you please, just a cup of it as a last rinse would do good to control the oily scalp which is the birth place of oily hair. It helps restore the much needed acidity levels on the scalp and to also bring about the much needed pH balance too. A quarter of water mixed with a cup of vinegar would do just fine. Thrice a week would be good enough, or else you would stink of vinegar always.
2. Talking about oily scalps and shampooing, are you shampooing the scalp well enough? You need to be very careful when buying conditioners and hair treatments available these days, since they could do more harm than good. Argan oils in the cosmetic brand would be best for dry hair and not oily hair, hence no buying shampoos which have that. What you should do is ask an expert to recommend names of shampoos meant only for oily scalp. Oily hair they say needs more care, it needs nourishment everyday. One should also ensure that oily hair isn’t treated with silicone based products, because the oiliness would only increase and make more build-up appear over time.
See More: Home Remedies For Dry Hair
3. Touch me not, says oily hair. This is so true; you should stop touching your hair now and then. Resist the habit of running those long fingers through your hair, stop playing with it. In doing so, you would be activating the oil glands which produce more oil because they sense and feel the touch. This in turn would bring in more oil and your hair gets oilier than before
4. This is very useful and fast resulting home remedies for oily scalp. Take a tablespoon of aloe vera paste and mix it with a mild herbal shampoo in equal quantities. Massage this concoction in your scalp and let the circular motion help soothe the surface. Such a method would detox the scalp, remove impurities and help with a gentle approach towards removing more or excess oil that have come across. Do this thrice a week or anytime you feel like, it works wonders
5. Hair conditioning is a must, at least twice a week for healthy tresses. If this isn’t observed, the hair would get dry and the overdrive of oil glands would happen. This in turn would make the hair oily and an unwanted dose of dandruff would appear and make home on your head. Amla and shikakai paste would help get rid of the condition of dandruff, it would make the hair soft and smooth, and also balance the pH levels too.
6. It is also important to be very sure of what you consume, because you are what you eat. Hormones play a vital role in deciding if your hair should be dry, medium or oily. Sugary delights and oily food activate the glands to produce more oil, making your hair oily in the long run. In fact, studies have shown when clients consumed foods that were lean and full of protein, the pH levels of their scalp was much better. So less sugar and more protein is what you need for the hormones to be good and friendly.
7. A cup of lemon juice consumed with honey clears the toxins from within, helps you stay slim and also manages your oily hair too!! Yes, this is true when treating oily hair is talked about. The pH levels of limes make it great to tack the oiliness of hair, the bloodstream is alkalized and the acidic properties heal the skin and scalp too. Take a lime and make an astringent out of it, by squeezing its juice and mixing the concentrate in its pure form with a quarter glass of water. Use this as a final rinse or before shampooing your hair, say beauticians, and the oiliness would be no more.
8. Stress no more, for it shows on your hair and skin. Hormones are affected by emotions of the body and the mind, which mean the skin cells and hair follicles too take a beating. They get into overdrive and overtime the glands create more oil which makes the hair oily. Beat stress by exercising or walking, listening to music or dancing, deep breathing or eating healthy, and be happy with oil free hair. Take micro minutes every hour to relax and unwind, and watch how you beat stress too.
See More: Home Remedies For Itchy Hair
9. Egg yolk treatment is the perfect home remedy for oily hair. Egg yolk age is an age old home remedy to treat excess oil in the hair which it helps condition your hair and remove excess oils. Take 2 to 3 egg yolks and beat it well. In this mixture, add around 10-15 drops of lemon juice and mix it well once again. Apply this mixture on moist hair and leave it on for five minutes. Rinse it off thoroughly after that so that no residue is left behind. Use this mixture on your hair twice or thrice a week to get rid of oily hair.
10. Witch hazel oil which is found to be an effective natural product that works wonders on your hair also makes it free from oil. Find a bottle of witch hazel oil and take 4 drops of the oil. Mix it well with 2 -3 tablespoons of water. Dab a cotton ball in this mixture and apply this mixture on your scalp with the help of this cotton ball. This will help reduce the oiliness of hair. Repeat this procedure three to four times a week or every day for best results.
11. Alcohol can also be used to get instant and immediate results for your oily hair problems. Vodka is generally preferred by most people as the ideal hair tonic to treat oily hair immediately. Add one glass of Vodka to two glasses of water. Rinse your hair with this mix and leave it unwashed for a few minutes. Wash it off completely after sometime. This will make your hair go dry in few minutes. You can also use this mix as a spray on your hair to get rid of excess oil in a matter of minutes.
12. Honey is also an effective home remedy which helps us treat oily hair. First, take two teaspoons of pure honey and add one egg yolk to this. Mix well and allow it to set for around 30 minutes. Now apply this mixture on your hair and massage your hair gently for a few minutes. Leave this mixture on your hair and scalp for around 20 minutes. After that, rinse your hair properly and then use a mild shampoo to wash your hair. Repeat this process twice a week if you want to get rid of oily hair. This method one of the very effective home remedies for oily hair.
13. Never scratch or scrub your scalp. You must not comb your hair a lot when you have oily hair. Rubbing your scalp or scratching your scalp excessively will lead to the stimulation of the sebaceous glands which will produce excess oil on your scalp. So, never scrub your scalp.
See More: Natural Remedies For Frizzy Hair
14. Henna powder helps keep your hair smooth and shiny and also helps in removing excess oil present in the hair. Mix 6 tablespoons of henna with two cups of water and make a smooth paste. Now, apply this paste on your hair and leave it untouched till the paste dries on your hair. After this, rinse your hair with lime water to get rid of oily hair.
15. Pick and use a good shampoo. As a person with oily hair, you need to select a shampoo that is mild with low pH or one that is made specifically for oily hair. Clarifying shampoos are known to be the most suitable for the job. Do not select a shampoo that contains greasy ingredients like lanolin and silicone and also avoid the shampoos that have conditioners in them. Carefully picking the shampoo which is perfect for you can help control oily hair.
There could be various other reasons why oiliness strikes our lovely hair locks, which is why before you use any of the information here, please ensure talking to your physician who would let you know the what, where, why, how, when and who of every cause for oily hair.
Follow our above natural home remedies and tips for oily hair when advised by your doctor or beautician, and watch how your hair does the talking!! try any one of them and get shiny and silky hair.