How To Make Homemade Hair Toner
Just like our face needs toning, our hair does too. Hair salons and professionals offer hair toning solutions but they are pretty expensive. But if you have already dyed your hair from a top salon which has left a hole in your pocket, you can opt for homemade hair toner. Homemade hair toners are chemical free and reduces the risks of side effects on hair and scalp.
You can apply hair toner when your hair colour or highlights start fading or just after you have bleached your hair. You may apply a semi-permanent hair colour before toning your hair. Toners neutralize complementary hair colours on your hair and thus you need to select the right colour hue for toning your hair. So, make sure you select the right toner for your hair. You can try the following recipes mentioned below.
See More: Ways To Wear Your Hair
How to Make Your Own Hair Toner At Home:
Below we have given 4 best and effective homemade toners for different hairs.
1. Homemade Toner For Brassy Hair:
Do you know to know how to make homemade hair toner at home? You will require a conditioner of a good brand, blue and purple food colouring and water.
- In a glass of water, stir in purple food colour.
- Then add a small amount of blue food colour and mix it well.
- You will see the water has turned dark blue.
- Then pour a sufficient amount of hair conditioner in a bowl.
- Add some dark blue water into the conditioner and mix well.
- The mixture will turn light violet.
- Now, use a hair colouring brush to apply the mixture on your hair.
- Let it settle in for 30-40 minutes before washing it off completely with cool water.
- Your hair colour should be neutralized.
2. Vinegar Rinse Hair Toner:
- To try this method at home, condition your hair well with a good brand of conditioner first.
- Now add some purple food colour in a glass of water and stir.
- Add an equal amount of blue food colour into it followed by a pinch of red food colour.
- Stir well. After you have rinsed off the conditioner from your hair, pour vinegar and the colour mix over your hair and massage well.
- Make sure to spread the vinegar and colour mix evenly on your hair.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and then wash it off.
- Do not worry about the lingering smell of vinegar.
- It will eventually fade off and your hair colour or highlight will be neutralized.
See More: How To Moisturize Hair At Home
3. Herb Based Home Toner For Yellow Hair:
Have you heard how to make homemade toner for hair of yellow. This toner helps in fixing dyed yellowish hair. This recipe does not involve food colour and thus no chemicals. You will require hollyhock herbs, apple cider vinegar and water.
- Boil some water in a saucepan and add some apple cider vinegar and hollyhock herbs into it.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the concoction simmer.
- The mixture should be thick in consistency so you might have to keep it aside for 30-40 minutes.
- Then shampoo your hair with a good brand shampoo and pour the mixture over your hair.
- Massage the mixture evenly and well into your hair.
- Let the solution set in for 10 minutes and then wash it off with cool water.
See More: How To Use A Hair Conditioner
4. Homemade Toner For Brown Hair Or Highlights:
If you have brown hair or have dyed your hair brown, then this is the toner for you. This toner is suitable to remove orange and red tones from brown or dark hair.
- Add 2-3 drops of green food colour into your conditioner or 2 drops of green food colour and 1 drop of blue food colour if you have more orange tones.
- After shampooing your hair well, apply the mixture into your hair and leave it on for ten minutes.
- Then, wash it off with cool water.
Images Source: Shutterstock.