Morning Sickness In Pregnancy – Causes and How to Avoid
The nausea and throwing up right in the morning is one of the first signs of pregnancy. This morning sickness sustains through most phases of being pregnant. Pregnancy is almost synonymous with weakness, dizziness, random tendency of vomiting and general sickness of health. Unlike what the term suggests, this state of health can last throughout the day. The intensity and regularity of such tendencies can vary from woman to woman. Although it is a natural part of the process one show know how to avoid morning sickness during pregnancy to have an easier phase of the same.
When And For How Long?
This condition of morning sickness in pregnancy can be found in three fourths of the total pregnant women in their first trimester. Some common symptoms like nausea and vomiting can be seen in half of the pregnant women. The nausea begins between 4 and 6 weeks of pregnancy and worsens over months of the gestation period. By the 14th week of pregnancy, about half of the women feel complete relief from this uneasy period.For most though it takes another month or so for the queasiness to ease up completely. As if that is not enough, it may also return later and keep recurring throughout the pregnancy. A small percentage of women have symptoms of morning sickness in pregnancy that persists continually almost until the delivery.
Although it is not absolutely figured out as to what causes the uneasiness during this phase, there are some theories regarding this that explains the condition.
1. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin:
There is a rapid rise of HCG during early pregnancy. Nausea tends to occur and peak around the same time as levels of HCG hike up. If the level of HCG is high in women, there is a higher possibility of nausea and vomiting. This could be the most possible reason of morning sickness in pregnant women.
This hormone also rises rapidly in the early phrases of pregnancy. Estrogen, with other pregnancy hormones, may be the prime cause of nausea and sickness of the morning during the phase of pregnancy.
See More: Symptoms Of Contractions
3. Sensitivity To Odors:
Pregnant women have higher sensitivity and enhanced sense of smell to various odors. Certain aromas instantly seem to trigger the gag reflex among pregnant women. This may be a result of increase in estrogen level. Due to sharp sensation of smell and rejecting of most, there may be quicker onset of uneasiness or sickness during pregnancy in women.
4. Sensitive Stomach:
The gastrointestinal tracts of some women might be more sensitive to the various changes that occur during pregnancy. According to various research and studies, the presence of the bacterium called Helicobacter pylori in the stomach causes nausea and vomiting in pregnant women.
5. Stress and Anxiety:
Some researchers have proposed that certain women may have abnormal response to stress in the form of having nausea and vomiting during a pregnancy. The feeling of restlessness during pregnancy may upset the stomach leading to feeling dizzy and pukish.
Concerns Regarding Morning Sickness In Pregnancy:
Some women may tend to feel more victimized by morning sickness than others. This could be due to a lot of reasons.
- If you are pregnant with twins or multiple babies, there is an increased release of hormones like HCG, estrogen etc.
- You are more like to feel nauseous if you did so in your previous pregnancies.
- If you have had issues with motion sickness in your regular life.
- If your body reacted abnormally with birth control pills.
- If you have had issues with migraines and other similar illnesses.
See More: Pregnancy Baby Position
Sickness and nausea are common problems associated with pregnancy. A lot of women are worried as to if this could affect their unborn baby. Moderate nausea and occasional vomiting are some of the well associated with morning sickness and these will not threaten the well being of your baby.
But heavy and prolonged vomiting may lead to great risk of unborn baby birth which sometimes caused to low weight of baby at the time of birth according to gestational age.
However, research on a number of pregnant women suffering with heavy vomiting suggested that those who gained more than 15.4 pounds during pregnancy were at lesser risk when compared to other women.
How To Avoid Morning Sickness During Pregnancy?
There are a number of remedies for morning sickness during pregnancythat you can try to find some relief. Mentioned below are some of the morning sickness remedies during pregnancy.
- You have to divide your day into six to seven small and frequent meals or snack per day that could be keeps your stomach never empty. Eat protein rich food. Eat slowly to effect proper chewing and digestion.
- Avoid lying down after eating as this can slow digestion.
- Get up slowly in the morning. Sit on the bed for a few minutes rather than jumping right up.
- Avoid foods and smells that trigger your nausea.
- Eat food stuff that are not too hot. Eat cold or at room temperature, because food tends to have a stronger aroma when it’s hot.
- Avoid fatty foods as it takes longer to digest.
- Avoid spicy, acidic, and fried foods, which can irritate and upset your digestive system.
- Brush your teeth and rinse out your mouth properly after eating meals.
- Have lots of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Get fresh air by going for a walk. You may keep an open window to ease your nausea.
- Nausea can become worse if you’re tired. Give yourself time to relax and take frequent naps.
- Try taking your prenatal vitamins with food or just before going to bed. It is advisable to take a prenatal vitamin which contains low or no dose of iron, at least for the first trimester, as it might affect your digestive system.
- You may take the help of aromatherapy.
See More: Family Dollar Pregnancy Test
Morning sickness may be an inevitable side effect of pregnancy but that does not mean we have to suffer through it. There are many effective morning sickness remedies during pregnancy that may greatly help you. Beat morning sickness and have a happy pregnancy with the help of these remedies for morning sickness during pregnancy.