You have made it through the first trimester! This week you will see a lot of changes that are happening to the baby, more than you. The 14 weeks pregnant is crucial for a lot of reasons. Some of the changes are crucial and a step closer to actually seeing a tiny human being take shape.
Here is a quick glance. Your child’s kidneys have now taken shape, enough to pee which he/she is making consistently now into the amniotic liquid around them. Your baby will also have put on some weight, about 1 ½ inch and its organs will have begun to grow. His/her arms will now be in proportion to the rest of the body. This week is totally dedicated to the development of its body.
Table of Content:
- What to Think About This Week || Month and Trimester || Fetal Development ||
- Signs and Symptoms || Diet and Exercise || Medical Check Up and Treatment ||
- Medical Test and Scan || How To Overcome Stress || Position of Your Baby ||
- Tips And Precautions || What Are The Risks || Checklist ||
What to Think About This 14th Week of Pregnancy:
Now is the time when your jeans will not fit and you will get congratulatory looks from everyone around you. Your new changing breasts might make you even proud of your motherhood now. You will feel a lot of positivity around you at this stage. What particularly on your mind will be is hard to say, but you will most likely anticipate and look forward to every appointment scheduled this week to hear more news about new development since your baby will take a leap this month. Baby-names will keep you preoccupied as well, and you will have suggestions pouring in from everywhere and everyone.
Month and Trimester of 14 Weeks Pregnant Belly:
What month are you in, in your 14th week? You are in the second trimester, three months and one week pregnant. Typically, you are at the beginning of your second trimester.
Fetal Development In The Pregnancy At 14 Weeks Pregnant:
The 14th week shows significant fetal development unlike before; your baby has grown significantly by this time. Some of these developments are given below:
The baby now starts to understand his/her body functioning, as his/her neurological system starts to develop now. At this point, the mother cannot feel the baby kicking inside but that is a sure thing to happen in 1-1 ½ weeks. If you go for an ultrasound in your 14th week of pregnancy, you might come upon the time and miracle where your baby might be sucking his thumb.
See More: 13 Weeks Pregnant
Your baby is growing in size, the body of your baby is growing faster than his head and his/her hands are growing at a significant pace. Your ultrasound will show you how big the baby has actually developed and probably, even before you know, the baby will be stronger and bigger. After doing an ultrasound you yourself will be surprised at the fact at how big your baby has grown in such a small period. There will be a movement happening inside and this is one thing you should be aware of.
3. Functioning Kidneys:
In this week, the kidneys start functioning. The most significant change in this week is the functional kidneys. The baby now urinates and this will be thrown out the body by the mother when she urinates.
4. Fingers and Toes:
The baby’s toes and fingers develop now and they start to wiggle slowly. Fingers are more developed than the toes because the arms grow faster than the legs. Development of fingers and toes are considered to be stepping stones of your baby’s strong health.
The babies heart will beat for 60 to 70 heartbeats a minute. This is the normal heartbeat for everyone and shows that your baby is growing at a good and strong speed. The heart can also pump blood at a more efficient speed allowing your baby to move out of a dormant state into a more active state.
6. Immune System:
The immune system, the backbone of a strong and healthy person, develops now. A healthy child has a growing immune system and has enough white blood cells to fight off specific bacteria that would somehow hamper its development.
14 Weeks Pregnant: Signs and Symptoms
Here is a list of 14-week pregnancy symptoms a mother goes through. It is often physical and physiological.
Vomiting in this week is a symptom that the baby’s immune system is developing. It happens because his/her immune system does not approve of everything that the mother eats. Vomiting is a sign showing that your baby is healthy. While the situation might not improve, there are some ways to ease you off the discomfort. You can stay hydrated and also take ginger tea in the morning, with a spoon of honey. This is an important 14 weeks pregnancy care.
2. Sleep Disorders:
Sleep disorder is also fairly common. Most often, it the movement of the baby that will cause discomfort to you. This might last till the end of your pregnancy. One sure thing that can happen to you is lethargy. There is no way to combat this, but the best you can do is to do some light work, such that you fall tired and sleep eventually.
3. Weight Gain:
During your pregnancy, you will gain a significant amount of weight but in your 14thweek, you gain the most significant amount of weight in your entire time of pregnancy. This is inevitable and your body sure needs all the calories and nutrients. You are the only source of nutrition for the baby.
Baby growth in the 14th week of pregnancy happens because of the extra fat in your body. this provides the important nutrients for the infant as the stomach amino acid penetrate your fat to provide nutrition for your baby, therefore, the more the fat the healthier the baby. Exercising is always a remedy to monitor your weight. There is a range of post-pregnancy workouts. Eating a good diet, that does not add to the weight is also possible. But, right now, focus on the 14 week pregnancy diet like a ritual.
4. Food Cravings:
Food cravings will get stronger at 14 weeks pregnant. One best way to avoid eating would be to eat fibre-rich food. This will keep you full for a long time. If you like to eat, indulge in some healthy snacks like nuts and freshly cut fruits.
5. Nasal Congestion:
Nasal congestion can be irritating. However, this can be treated with doctor’s help. Always carry a handkerchief or tissues. Nasal congestion can sometimes lead to shortness of breath and thus, sneeze out the phlegm often. Make sure this does not lead to the sinus. If it does, it is best to consult a doctor.
Activities in 14th Week Of Pregnancy:
If you are a working mom, this week might be just the same as the last one. You working and getting home more tired than usual. Another thing that can trouble you at this stage is your
14 Week Pregnancy Diet and Exercises:
1. Need for Iron:
During this week you need to eat iron-rich food like dry fruits, spinach, potatoes and soybean for the development of your baby. Iron is a must for baby growth in the 14th week of pregnancy.
2. Folic Acid:
Folic acid is a must for the development of the baby’s brain. For this, eat vegetables, bananas, grains and beans.
DHA is the main component that is needed for the development of the baby. Eat foods like eggs, fish and meat.
It is a good nutrient for your infant’s strong bones. Eat calcium-rich food like Almonds, milk, broccoli etc.
5. Vitamin C:
Heard of collagen? It is the substance that helps tend to your baby’s cartilage. It repairs your little one’s tissues. Vitamin C rich fruits include mangoes, oranges, broccoli, peppers, strawberries and papaya.
See More: Second Trimester Foods
1. Downward Dog:
For support to your thigh muscles, this exercise does wonder. Extend your legs and bend on your fours. That position needs to be held for a while. Repeat 5 rounds.
2. Cobbler Pose:
Good for flexibility in the pelvic area, this exercise helps build up a stretch in your lower belly, making delivery easier.
When you feel lazy about other exercises, walking anywhere around helps. Problems like blood pressure and constipation can be overcome by walking.
4. Kegal Exercises:
This exercise is important since it helps stretch your pelvic floor muscles. Repeat the exercise whenever you get the time.
The benefits of yoga need not be stressed on. You already know how it enables peace to your stressed-out mind. It also enhances endurance power.
Sex During The 14th Week Of Pregnancy:
Even in this week, sex is okay. Although as for you, your nose blocks and food cravings along with nausea might not make you feel up to the task. Choose easy positions and you are good to go. A little intimacy could take you a long way.
Medical Check-Up and Treatment:
Talk to your doctor about checkups for that extra reassurance you need. Remember to talk about nausea, heartburn, constipation and soreness. However, a few over the counter medicines that are known to be of help for the symptoms are:
- Cough- Dextromethorphan.
- Soreness- Acetaminophen. Don’t indulge in Ibuprofen and Naproxen.
- Constipation- Metamucil. Avoid mineral oil.
- Allergy- Antihistamines and Loratadine. Shun use of Pseudoephedrine and Decongestants like Phenylephrine.
- Heartburn- Antacids.
Medical Test and Scan While 14 Weeks Pregnant:
14 weeks pregnancy care is an important thing to follow. When you go through your scanning, your doctor is likely to observe the following.
- Your baby is now the size of your fist. 14 week pregnant baby size is compared to that of your closed fist or of a navel orange.
- Your baby is standing up straight. This means, his/her neck is getting longer, aiding the head to be more erect.
- Hairs start to grow and the eyebrows get its share of hair too. However, it may be too early to determine the hair colour.
- The roof of his mouth start to develop and some digestive activities begin; in the intestines.
How To Overcome Stress In 14th Week Of Pregnancy:
- Postpone every single one of the activity that drains away from your energy for good. This might be like an open invitation for overwhelming anxiety.
- Sit down with your partner and start with the formulation of a parental plan. Now is the right time for it all- from deciding the name of your child to how you want to give birth.
- Priorities must be rethought and analyzed ahead in time. Give enough time to yourself all alone, so that you can know just where you are heading, thus avoiding stress.
- Don’t let technology take over you. Yes, the internet is a fun place for online forums; however, remember every pregnancy is different. Don’t let anything stress you.
- Sleeping it off is a good idea. Now that you baby has his own sleeping routine, it might be hard for you to manage, but don’t let that keep you up. Take power naps.
What is the Position of Your Baby Now?
14 weeks pregnant fetal development will show that your baby is now more like a little human being. The eyes move to its position and the ears have taken its place, by the side of the face. The baby will appear slightly longer because the neck bones start to straighten. The mouth of the baby also begins to open and close. It can now make the sucking and swallowing motions perfectly. As the neck straightens up, the vocal cords, larynx and windpipe all sit in its place.
See More: 15th Week of Pregnancy Symptoms
14 Weeks Pregnant Baby Size:
Your baby now is the size of a navel orange. This means it is roughly the size of a peach. Your baby’s growth from here will be phenomenal. The baby will weigh 1.5 ounces and 3.4 inches in weight. The babygrow at super speed from now on.
14 Weeks Pregnant Belly:
The size of the belly will vary from one mother to another. This should not worry you. Your uterus now is expanding to accommodate the big baby and therefore you might feel some itch and ache on your abdomen. This is only because your skin is stretching.
Tips And Precautions: 14 Weeks Pregnancy Care
- Always wear comfortable clothes that fit now that your baby bump has started to grow. Avoid Elastics.
- When travelling, avoid bumpy roads as this may cause issues in your baby.
- You need to keep yourself hydrated at all times. If liquid makes you bloated up, try fruits with high water content.
- Keep exercising this week as well to avoid a sudden weight gain, as it may lead to stretch marks.
- Announce your pregnancy at the workplace, since this might lead them to give you concessions. Take the chance.
What Are The Risks?
- The major risk comes in only if you want to abort. It may be really challenging to get an abortion done now and this can also take a toll on your body and its health.
- You may experience leaking nipples. You may occasionally notice yellow stains in your bra. There is nothing to panic or worry, as this is just your first milk.
- Sexual drives increases. This is mainly because of the increased blood flow to the pelvic area.
- You may also experience sharp stomach pains on both the sides of your stomach. These are known as the round ligament pains. This happens because of the stretching of your stomach, to accommodate your baby.
14 Weeks Pregnant: Checklist
Here are a couple of things you need to maintain.
- It is time you tell your family and friends about your good news!
- You can also begin to take pictured of your baby. That way, you will be able to track and understand the belly growth.
- Use this energy that you have to do other things, like gardening or walking.
- Curate an ideal 14 week pregnancy diet for you.
14 weeks pregnant with twins means you need to be extra careful of how much you eat. Chances are you will lose your energy too quickly. Drink one gallon of water every day, to begin with. Supply yourself with a lot of nuts and millets to keep you energized every day. Physical activity of some sort will also help you get going. Remember to get a good diet chart made by your doctor and a recommended physical activity.
14th week is here! You have successfully crossed your first trimester. Start to read books about pregnancy and know what it can mean. Remember to always be on the healthier side and surround yourself with a lot of positivity. Keep going. The journey will surely be a memorable one.