How excited are you as a mother now? Your 24-week pregnancy symptoms would have started kicking in and you will now be in a more advanced stage of motherhood. Your body not just changes for the good, it will also bog you down with its own set of difficulties. You will experience round ligament pain, trouble sleeping at night and sometimes even piles. This is just one side of it. Looking at the brighter side of things, you are another step closer to the D-day and your baby is now a tiny little human being. The occasional kicks mean a lot more than just the usual. Here is a detailed look into 24-week pregnant symptoms.
This entire nine-month worth of difficulties and bliss is in doctor terms counted on a weekly basis since it makes the frequent monitoring facility a lot easier. This way the latest update can be received on a month’s notice. For this, a total of 40 weeks constitute nine months. These 40 weeks are further divided into three categories, that is the first, second and third trimester which is based on the developmental stages of the baby. In this article, we talk about the 24th week of fetal development.
Table of Content:
- Month and Trimester || What to Expect? || Symptoms || Fetal Development ||
- Activities || What to eat? || Prenatal Exercise || How To Overcome Stress ||
- Medical Tests and Scan || Ultrasound || Tips and Precautions || Risks || Checklist ||
Which Month and Trimester Are You in at Twenty Four Weeks Pregnant?
You are now at the end of your second trimester, and about 5 months pregnant. A 24-week pregnancy baby weight would be about 590 grams, roughly 25-28 centimetres. He/she is the size of an ear of corn. Yes, your baby is as cute as that now!
See More: 23 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
24 Weeks Pregnant: What to Expect?
The morning sickness then slowly subsides and one thinks the nauseous feelings are now gone for good, but with the lessening of nausea comes the greater challenges like occasional mood swings and monster hunger along with depression or sadness, which might even be a result of your body producing an excess of estrogen. The beautiful radiant glow of pregnancy as described in the magazines has reverse effects which pour out in the form of patches and spots and acne.
24 Weeks Pregnancy Symptoms:
The mother goes through changes alongside the baby.
Every morning the mother wakes up to see her baby bump a bit heavier and plumper than the last time. This is because of the baby that is continuously going through changes. This causes a weird stretchy feel in the abdominal muscle. This is medical term is known as the Braxton Hicks contraction which might make the stretched area itchy and dry.
While diabetes is a common sickness, often a condition called the gestation diabetes occurs in a pregnant woman and this might be a good week to check in with your doctor regarding this matter.
3. Subsidiary Problems:
Often along with pregnancy come substantial health problems like the blurriness of eye, common cold and chills, heartburns or hot flashes etc.
4. Morning Sickness:
In the second trimester, the hormones will begin to level off and hence it will decrease the morning sickness. The uterus will shift upwards and hence the frequency of urinating will below, but it also has some negatives, the flatulence and heartburn will increase.
It is also referred to as the “mask of pregnancy” and is a very common symptom during pregnancy. During this period, you might have noticed the discoloured and brownish patches or some other marks on your foreheads, chin and cheeks. About 70% of the women will face this problem and if you hide from sun exposure, these patches will not get darker. Chloasma will result as an increased level of production of melanin and that is nothing than a skin pigment which helps the people to protect themselves from the harmful UV rays.
24 Weeks Pregnant Fetal Development:
Being a 40-week count, by the 20th week one has already reached halfway and as you pass the weeks the more closely you get to the final day. Some of the major fetal developments in this period include:
1. Growing Needs:
With the passing weeks, your baby now has mastered the art of wanting its needs cleared. What was once nothing, but a little ball of life now is weighing a good one and a half pounds with almost eight and a half inches in length. However, some babies might be over this weight or under. There is no need to worry about weight. Now she slowly starts feeling cramped or crowded inside the uterus of the mother so probably this is the time you might feel a sudden punch or kick which is the baby, trying to make space. The formation of the fingerprint is still going on steady as is her heartbeat and lung completion. The air sacs in the lungs are filling out. Her body is proportional now.
2. Firmer Actions:
The skin which was just weeks ago transparent and too soft to touch is now slowly mastering the adult skin format as it gets its proper colour and texture. The greasy white layer keeps on growing to protect the formation of this baby soft skin. Along with a steady beating heart and functioning liver, the baby’s senses are now picking up stuff, like sensitivity to light and sense of taste and touch. Her hearing ability is growing stronger too.
3. Face Formation:
Fetal growth at 24 weeks shows that the process of forming a face and is now slowly completing itself with the perfect features falling like puzzles into a puzzle piece. The face now takes a distinct shape with eyebrows and eyelashes forming and so is her pretty pink puckers. The eyes are getting their pretty shape. The hair in her head has formed too, but it is still white since it has still not received proper pigments.
4. Fat Deposition:
All this while the formation was at its top speed and once the formation process of the baby is rounding up to an end, the lean structure of your baby attracts more and more fat deposition for the baby’s proper health. At the end of week 24, you might see your baby plumper than last week and look healthier with those bouncy baby red cheeks.
5. Amniotic Fluid:
The baby will now be able to open its mouth and it will be able to suck the amniotic fluid in mom’s womb. The little one’s mouth can be opened; she/he can yawn, swallow and suck the amniotic fluid.
At this stage, the legs and arms of your baby will be formed fully and the baby will try to go into a new position.
24th Week Activities:
For pregnant women, moving each month will definitely be a challenge as they were swirling with lots of thoughts that come across their minds especially during the first pregnancy. The best thing to being done in this situation is to schedule a visit to the doctor at first. Next is to have more time with the family members and plan for shopping for the upcoming months. Other than these you should maintain good sleep, diet and also the exercise plans. When you are getting involved with work, try to reduce the strain caused by it.
See More: 25 Weeks Pregnant
You can have the time for refreshment by taking a walk in the evening or by cooking your favourite food. At the 24th week, you should be settled down with everything so that the next months will pass well. If you are a working woman, you could find yourself juggling several things that include dilemmas, anxiety and hormonal changes. Have a regular checkup that makes your parenthood as the best thing.
Week 24 pregnancy: What to eat?
1. Water Level:
At this stage, you should not overlook hydration as you need to support the life present inside you. Having enough water will help you sustain and make you stay healthy for a longer time.
2. Iron and Vitamin B6:
If you are planning for a diet, make sure that it contains all the iron supplements with some changes. You can add eggs, beans, broccoli, and potatoes that add healthy benefits to your health. You can also try out some other options that include nuts and salmon.
You should intake a diet that has fibre-rich contents to have healthy bowel movements and prevent constipation. You can eat fruits like pomegranate, oranges, pineapple and watermelons.
During this stage, your baby’s bones will develop and hence, having fresh milk is very important that helps the baby’s bone growth. Milk is indeed a very essential nutrient. You can have food like yoghurt, cheese and creams but you should take this twice in a week only. Also, eat bananas throughout the month.
During this time, taking meat will be the right choice especially lean meats are the best for pregnant ladies.
- The pregnancy is not the correct time to try and lose weight, but exercises will ease your pregnancy pain.
- Walking and prenatal yoga will improve your posture and which will overcome the suffering of extra weight on the belly. These exercises also will increase the circulation of blood.
- The walk around will also relieve your stress and energize your body.
- It also strengthens the muscles during the delivery. Prenatal exercise will also make you more confident at the time of delivery. It increases the chances of losing weight post-pregnancy and makes it an easier process.
Sex During Pregnancy in 24th Week:
Having sex at this stage will be good only after getting a doctor’s consultation. If there is no problem then you can carry on as this is the way that brings back the intimacy which you have lost during the past few weeks. Feel free to talk with your partner as the sharing and support is very essential for you at this stage.
See More: 26th Week Of Pregnancy Care
How To Overcome Stress During Pregnancy:
- Try to keep your emotions under control at this stage. This will save you and your baby’s health too.
- Going and attending the prenatal classes will be the best idea as this would help you move ahead smartly.
- During this stage, having enough time for rest is highly recommended by the doctor as this will help you get cured against the stress.
- Daily, try to go on a short walk with your partner, which will enhance your mental health by reducing stress.
- Discuss with your partner about future plans like buying the essential things for your baby depending upon your financial situations.
Medical Tests and Scan While 24 Weeks Pregnant:
Remember to get your routine checkup done. This is very essential, as it will help you know about the right growth of your baby. You have to follow the same procedure, which you have been undergone for the past six months. Try to avoid the medicines that can harm your baby’s health and go with the best medicines as prescribed by your doctor.
- Fever- Paracetamol or acyclovir
- Heartburn- Antacids
- Constipation- Avoid usage of laxatives and mineral oil. You can take drugs like Metamucil
- Cough- Dextromethorphan
24 Weeks Pregnant Belly: What Does The Ultrasound Say?
He/she would have developed strong grip now and will continue to grab anything around the uterine wall.
The ears would have become extremely sensitive to sound inside the womb and is now in a position to recognize the mother’s voice.
He/she will also start to practice breathing and the lungs will be functional too.
Tips and Precautions:
- 12 ounces of cooked food daily should be your serving now.
- Keep strictly away from alcohol. Alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome. Babies who have that syndrome may grow slowly and have learning problems, and abnormal facial features.
- Keep your hormonal craziness under control. Work with a health expert to keep your weight under control.
- Make sure that you are able to walk well as this is very important for you.
- Avoid eating raw foods and try to go with the seafood. Be sure to avoid beef and try to eat eggs and protein substances.
What Are The Risks at 24 Week Pregnancy?
Well, at 24 weeks pregnancy the baby’s weight is over 1 pound and has more than 50 per cent chance of surviving in the intensive care, even if you deliver prematurely. There really is not any major risk, although you could experience the following.
- You will notice at 24 weeks pregnant that your skin changes. A dark line will run from your navel to the pubic bone. Such skin pigmentation will fade with time.
- You might experience trouble sleeping. 24 weeks pregnant belly is sure big and you will not be able to figure out a comfortable position to sleep. Try using pillows between your legs.
- You may experience round ligament pain. You may feel cramps in your groin in 24 weeks of pregnancy. Generally, it will not become intense, but if it does then speak to your doctor.
Checklist During 24 Weeks Pregnant:
Here are some things worth keeping as your checklist in this period.
- Seek immediate medical help if you notice any fluid leak from your vagina.
- Get to know the signs of preterm labour.
- Signing up for pregnancy tips will help you understand yours and your partner’s role.
Pregnancy might seem like a difficult time for you now, but it certainly is not the hardest one. Read books and keep yourself happy by doing things you like. This way, you will feel the intensity a little less. Let nothing scare you and stay on the positive side of things, for safe and tension-free delivery.