Do you suspect a Fungal infection on your scalp? If you suffer from itchiness, flakes or bald patches, it may be wise to switch to some of these best antifungal shampoos to treat the problem. These medicated products contain active fungus-fighting ingredients, which reduce the severity of your symptoms.
Fungal infections are very common and affect people of all ages. They are causes by many types of fungi like the scalp ringworm, which can give you severe itching and superficial scaling. When left untreated, these infections can even lead to hair loss and baldness.
To make your job of finding the right shampoo for fungal infections, we have listed out all the popular products in the market. Explore them in detail and decide on one to take immediate action.
6 Best Antifungal Shampoos For Men and Women:
These scalp fungus shampoos might be a bit pricey, but are nevertheless worth your money and make sure you get the best positive results. Check them out.
1. The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo is a natural antifungal shampoo. It is enriched with powerful ingredients like Srilankan Ginger, Ethiopian Honey, Birch Bark extracts etc. to give you instant relief from the symptoms of infections. Along with these, the shampoo also contains Piroctone Olamine as the key fungus-fighting agent which inhibits the fungal growth and treats your problem gently, without harming the hair.
Key Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Piroctone Olamine, Limonene, Betula Alba Bark Extract, Sodium Acetate, Zingiber Officinale Root Oil, Citronellol, Citral, Citric Acid, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Eucalyptol.
- Contains Ethically sourced ingredients.
- Naturally derived SLS.
- Treats mild fungal infections.
- Works on visible flakes.
- Controls excess scalp sebum.
- Makes hair very dry.
- Causes extreme frizz.
Average User Ratings: 4.2/5
2. Neev Olive Neem Shampoo:
The Neev Olive Neem Shampoo is a gentle anti-fungal shampoo for adults. It leverages the power of nature to treat fungal infections without the worry of side effects. The main ingredients are Olive oil, which is a mild cleanser that also works in flakes. Neem oil is a potent fungus-fighting agent, while almond oil makes your mane glossy and strong.
Key Ingredients: Olive Oil, Neem Oil, Almond Oil, Lavender and Rosemary Extracts.
- Paraben and Sulphate Free.
- Has a pH similar to that of water.
- Gentle formula.
- Can be used on kids and children (with doctor’s advice).
- Not easily available at all stores.
Average User Ratings: 5/5
3. Healthy Hair Plus – Anti-Fungal Shampoo:
Healthy Hair Plus is one of the most popular antifungal shampoo brands in the world. This international product is now available in India in selected stores like Amazon. Along with killing the infection-causing fungus, the formula also heals and repairs your scalp. It reduces inflammation and makes your scalp skin moist and supple. It is a mild to moderate fungal scalp infection treatment shampoo and ringworm shampoo.
Key Ingredients: Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Emu Oil ( Omega 3,6,& 9 ), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Fragrance
- Contains botanical extracts.
- Effective against many types of scalp fungus.
- Works on bacterial infections as well.
- Prevents hair breakages and hair loss.
- Not directly available in Indian stores.
- Very expensive product.
Average User Ratings: 4.2/5.
[See More: Latest Anti-Dandruff Shampoos]
4. Hawaiian Aloe Vera Shampoo:
The Hawaiin Aloe vera Shampoo is an effective antifungal shampoo for hair. It is a gentle, intense cleansing formula having Aloe Vera along with jojoba oil and vitamin c. The pH balancing product eases scalp itching, decreases scalp redness and inflammation. It also works well on scalps affected by Psoriasis, Seborrhea and other fungal infections. The moisturizing properties of Jojoba Oil add shine and smoothness to your mane.
Key Ingredients: Jojoba Oil, Vitamin C and Aloe vera.
- Contains nature-based extracts.
- Light Weight Formula.
- Gets easily absorbed by the skin.
- Controls Frizz.
- Not directly available in the Indian market.
- Lesser known brand.
Average User Ratings: 4/5
5. Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Original Formula Shampoo:
The Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic formula is one of the best medicated antifungal shampoo that starts showing its effect right from the first use. It contains 2% Coal tar that works on many scalp disorders like Dandruff, Psoriasis and Seborrheic Dermatitis. This dermatologist-recommended original formulation is proven to effectively control scalp itching and flaking. The effect lasts even after the product is rinsed off.
Key Ingredients: 2% Neutar (Coal Tar 0.5%)
- Relieves symptoms of itching and flaking.
- Medicated Formula.
- It Shows results right from the first use.
- Alcohol-Free Product.
- Can dry out hair.
- Makes your mane frizzy.
- Not suitable for everyday use (although the product claims to be one).
Average User Ratings: 4.4/5.
6. Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength Dandruff Shampoo:
Head & shoulders is a popular drugstore antifungal shampoo in India that contains 1% selenium sulfide to offer instant relief from stubborn fungal infections like dandruff and Seborrhea Dermatitis. This is a maximum-strength formula that you can buy without the need for a doctor’s prescription. This tough-on-fungus formula is quite gentle on your hair and gently cleans the scalp.
Key Ingredients: Selenium Sulfide 1%
- High potency formula.
- Provides relief from severe dandruff.
- Gives visible results instantly.
- Cleans your scalp well.
- A strong product that can weaken the roots with regular use.
- Expensive in India.
- Availability issues in the Indian market.
Average User Ratings: 4.5/5.
[See More: Best Anti-Dandruff Hair Oils]
How to Use Anti-Fungal Shampoos:
Most antifungal shampoos have the same usage instructions as that of a normal shampoo. However, it is better you go through the ‘steps to use’ written on the label, especially for medicated products. Here is the recommended process to use shampoos for treating fungal infections:
- Wet your hair with water and apply a small amount of shampoo.
- Massage well to create some lather.
- Use your fingers to completely clean the scalp.
- Leave the product on your scalp for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and repeat if necessary.
Side Effects of Using Anti-Fungal Shampoo:
Antifungal shampoos contain many harsh ingredients that can damage your hair in the long run. Here are some of the common side effects you may experience with these products:
- These shampoos might make your hair extremely dry and frizzy.
- Itching, stinging, and eczema can develop on the scalp.
- Can lead to discoloration of hair.
- Allergic reactions like severe rash, and burning sensation can be experienced. Discontinue the use of it instantly in such cases.
Those are some of the best antifungal shampoos in India, which are designed to free your scalp of infection-causing fungus. These products come in many price ranges to suit your budget. You can check out for offers on online stores or try to get them from other countries at cheaper prices. Do let us know your experiences with any of these products.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
Q1. What Causes Fungal Scalp Infections?
Ans: Fungus is a type of microscopic organism that infects human skin, scalp or nails. Among the many fungi which causes infections on the scalp, Tinea Capitis or Ringworm is the most common problem. Scalp ringworm lives on the human scalp and spreads from person to person via touching, sharing towels, etc. Fungi and their spores will remain alive on combs, brushes, unwashed towels, furniture and sheets for longer periods. This increases the risk of fungal scalp infections.
Q2. What Are The Symptoms of Fungal Infections on Scalp?
Ans: Although Fungal infections are a common problem, the symptoms may vary from person to person. Depending on the root cause, one may experience the following problems associated with fungal attacks on the scalp:
- Excessive itching.
- Round, bald patches.
- Brittleness of hair.
- White flakes.
- Redness and inflammation on scalp skin.
- Sensitivity and irritation on the scalp.
Q3. What Are key Anti-fungal Ingredients to Look Out for in Shampoos?
Ans: When shopping for an antifungal shampoo or hair cleanser, you must lookout for any of these active ingredients on the label (unless it is pure herbal or ayurvedic product):