Argan oil, often called ‘liquid gold,’ is an organic product extracted from the Argan fruit’s kernels. This argan fruit is found on the argan tree, which grows almost exclusively in Southwest Morocco. Hence this oil is also termed Moroccan Argan Oil. Argan oil is primarily found in two forms: edible argan oil extracted from roasted kernels. The other is the cosmetic argan oil extracted from the unroasted seeds. The cosmetic argan oil is intended to be applied directly to the skin or hair to benefit. Traditionally, the people of Morocco apply argan oil topically to treat psoriasis, eczema, and even hair loss. Argan oil is enriched with monounsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants that help deal with various skin problems and radiance to the face.
Many wonder if argan oil is excellent and safe to apply to the face. The simple answer is ‘YES,’ it is safe to use topically on the front. Argan oil is a natural oil extracted from the kernels of the argan fruit and is free from chemicals. This oil falls in the middle of the spectrum, making it one of the safest products to use for the face. This serum is neither too heavy nor too light for the front making it a perfect choice. Argan oil is a widely used product worldwide because of its essential nutrients.
Properties Of Argan Oil:
1. Argan oil has essential nutrients like fatty acids and phenolic compounds. The majority of the fat content of this oil comes from oleic and linoleic acid.
- Oleic acid – 42%
- Linoleic acid – 36.8% (Omega 6 fatty acid)
- Palmitic acid – 12%
- Stearic acid – 6%
- Linolenic acid – <0.5%
2. Argan oil is enriched with Vitamin E, or tocopherol, a fat-soluble vitamin required for healthy skin.
3. Argan oil is considered to be an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. The phenolic compounds in argan oil are responsible for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
4. Studies showed that argan oil has compounds such as CoQ10, melatonin, and plant sterols, which have antioxidant properties and help healthy skin.
Best and Amazing Benefits of Argan Oil For Skin:
Argan oil, though available in the country of Morocco, this oil is now used across the globe for a variety of cosmetic, culinary, and medicinal applications. Listed down are some benefits of argan oil for the skin and face.
1. Sun Protection:
- Sun has harmful UV rays that damage the face and the epithelial cells.
- The anti-oxidant property in argan oil helps protect the skin against the free radical damage caused by the harmful UV rays from the Sun.
- This also prevents hyperpigmentation and burns on the surface.
- Most Moroccan men and women have used argan oil for protection against sun damage.
- Apply argan oil serum on the face before entering the sun to protect against UV rays. (1)
2. Skin Moisturiser:
- The loss of moisture from the face makes it dry and brittle and further causes skin rashes and burns.
- THE ARGAN OIL’S vitamin E and fatty acid content make the skin moisturised and hydrated. This oil absorbs quickly and is non-irritating and non-greasy, making it a natural moisturiser.
- This oil is easy to use all over the body. Just gently rub a few drops of this oil and smooth it into your skin. Use this oil on the face by smoothing it in circular motions.
- Argan oil can be applied topically or ingested orally with daily supplements.
3. Treats Acne:
- The face naturally secretes sebum from the sebaceous glands. When this sebum is secreted excessively, the dirt gets trapped on the front, which invites bacteria, causing pimples and acne.
- Argan oil has anti-sebum effects that regulate sebum secretion of sebum, and the antioxidant property of this oil helps heal damaged skin cells and reduce inflammation.
- Apply a few drops of this oil or cream containing argan oil to the affected area at least twice daily to witness the desired result.
- Looking younger these days has become an essential quality in everyone’s life. Most people use different creams to look more youthful.
- Argan oil has proved to be one of the best products for anti-ageing. The antioxidants in this oil help remove the dead cells on the face, contributing to the generation of new cells on the front. Using this oil on the skin increases the skin’s elasticity, making you look younger than before.
- First, clean your face with a face wash and pat dry. Now, apply this oil to the front and gently massage it in circular motions. Leave it overnight. You can witness the change in your face within two weeks if applied regularly.
5. Improves Wound Healing:
- Argan oil is considered to accelerate the wound healing process on the skin.
- The combination of vitamin E and the antioxidants found in argan oil is usually beneficial for healing wounds and treating damaged, cracked, or even burned skin.
- Apply a few drops of argan oil on the sore or damaged skin to accelerate healing.
6. Heals Skin infections and Certain Skin Conditions:
- Traditionally, argan oil is used by the Moroccans to treat certain skin infections. This is because argan oil has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Studies found that argan oil can treat a skin condition called Atopic dermatitis, with itchy, red skin. The Vitamin E and the anti-inflammatory properties of the argan oil help in soothing this condition.
- Regularly apply a few drops of argan oil to the affected area to treat skin infections.
7. Remedy for Stretch Marks:
- Argan oil is considered one of the best products to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy or even for anyone with stretch marks.
- Vitamin E in argan oil helps increase the skin’s elasticity, preventing the development of stretch marks.
- Apply this oil to the area with stretch marks twice daily, and see the desired results. (2)
8. Argan Oil for Oily Skin:
- Oily skin is one of the main issues being faced by most people. They use various creams and remedies but have gone in vain.
- Using argan oil for the face can help reduce the skin’s oiliness. Argan oil regulates sebum production so your skin is hydrated and will not overproduce the sebum.
- Argan oil serum or cream can be applied directly on the skin twice daily to experience good results.
9. Dry Skin Conditions:
- Eczema is a dry skin condition that can leave itchy, raw, and flaky skin. Using argan oil for such skin conditions is beneficial.
- The argan oil’s fatty acids and Vitamin E repair the damaged skin and provide essential nutrients to prevent dryness and irritation.
- Applying argan oil on the afflicted skin and massaging gently can relieve and heal the dryness and irritation.
10. Cracked Feet:
- Because of its softening properties, Argan oil is ideal for treating cracked heels.
- The light argan oil quickly penetrates the skin, and the antioxidants in the oil repair the damaged tissues. This oil moisturises and softens skin, leaving the feet supple and soft.
- Try massaging a few drops of this oil into the feet before bed.
Read More: Argan Oil for Hair Growth
How to Choose The Best Argan Oil?
In recent times, the usage of argan oil for beauty purposes has increased enormously across the globe. This argan oil comes in pure argan oil and argan-infused skin products. If you intend to choose pure argan oil, keep in mind that the life of this pure oil is only three to four months. The argan trees are mainly found in Morocco, and extracting this oil is an uphill task; hence, this oil doesn’t come cheap. Meanwhile, this argan tree prevents soil erosion and protects water resources in Morocco. This tree is under threat from overuse. Hence to make it readily available at affordable pricing, adulterated products are being sold. Make sure to buy this product from a reliable source with fair trade practices.
Side Effects of Argan Oil:
The usage of argan oil is generally considered safe by most people. Some individuals, however, may experience some side effects in the form of an allergy known as contact dermatitis when applied topically. This is characterised by itchiness, rash, and redness at the place of application. When ingested orally, argan oil may cause a digestive disturbance, including nausea, diarrhea, or gas. The tocopherols, a form of Vitamin E present in the argan oil, may slow the blood clotting and interact with anticoagulants like warfarin.
Argan oil is safe for most people, whether used topically or ingested orally. The nutrients and vitamins in this oil give amazing benefits to the skin. The best thing about this oil is that it can be used in its pure form and is perfectly safe. This oil’s purest form can maximise the skin and face benefits. If you have sensitive skin, it is better to test for allergies beforehand. Lastly, if you are searching for a natural beauty product, try argan oil and experience the results.