Also known as “garden rocket”, the humble arugula has plenty of health benefits to offer everyone. This is a cruciferous veggie with delightful nutrients in it and is known for the peppery spicy flavour it gives out when fangs are dug into it. The arugula makes a lovely salad, delicious and full of healthy stuff, such as minerals and vitamins too. There are other mandatory compounds available in the arugula, which we would like to share with you as well.
So without much ado, let’s take a look at the benefits of the humble arugula. Hence, please read on and be well informed about the same.
- If you want to bring down your weight and decrease your waistline, chomp away and munch on the lovely arugula. This is because the veggie has very low calories in it. So even if you have a cup of arugula every day, it wouldn’t make you fat. Health experts and those who want to hit the size zero soon should think of having a cup of arugula every day.
- Do you have problems with bowel movements every morning? If the answer is a YES and you are fed up to the core having over-the-counter medication and laxatives to help with the same, try arugula. This is because arugula has plenty of fibre in it, which helps with digestion. The digestive tract needs fibres which would help absorb the water and also let the bowel movements flow out easily.
- The anticancer agent is arugula, say experts. The compounds found in the humble arugula would help people stay far from the clutches of cancer. This is because the veggie has plenty of phytochemicals in it and is rich in antioxidants too. Both of which we know as super gladiators when it comes to working to defeat the damages caused by free radicals, which, is left unchecked would allow cancer-causing cells to promote themselves and grow. Arugula helps the body stay safe from cancers of the prostrate, the breast, the cervix, the colon and the ovary too.
- Arugula is rich in folic acid, say experts. Folate is very important for women who are pregnant or nursing at the moment. This is an acid which also helps women during childbirth and also helps the foetus grow strong, sans any birth or tube defects to worry about. There are also plenty of vitamins in arugula, such as the B group vitamins. The presence of pantothenic acid, B6, riboflavin, thiamine and other B group vitamins helps cellular functioning on a very high level in the body, say health experts.
- One would have a lot of vitamin K coming into their body when they consume arugula on a daily basis, say experts. This is because men need ninety micrograms and women need almost double the amount of that, say experts, which would bring in all the vitamin K amounts needed for the body to function well. Calcium in the body needs to be absorbed, and when vitamin K is around, it would be absorbed well. This helps with bone strengthening and osterotrophic activities too. Vitamin K is also known to bring down neuronal damage as well in the brain, and hence arugula should be fed to those who suffer from alzheimer and dementia.
- For good eye growth and vision, one should consume plenty of arugula along with other foods that have vitamin A in them. The veggie has enough of vitamin A and beta carotene which would help with better vision and prevent vision loss when we grow old. Vitamin A will also keep the body safe from cancers of the lung, skin and other parts of the body too. Hence, have a cup of arugula from today.
- Arugula has enough of vitamin C in the body, which is powerful enough as an antioxidant to take care of overall health and well-being, say experts.
- There is a lot of chlorophyll available in arugula, which is important to have since a lot of minerals and vitamins comes into the body through such sources, say dieticians. This helps more than three hundred metabolic function in our system, and the chlorophyll helps keep our bodies safe from aflatoxins too. If aflatoxins that look like tiny mold aren’t kept in check, it could change the DNA in the body, leading to cancers and damage to the liver as well
- There is a lot of carotene, Lutein and zeaxanthin in the arugula which would be great as antioxidants to have in the body. This would help prevent the diseases of the eyes, such as macular degeneration. These are also antioxidants which would help keep us free from cancer as well, say experts.
See More: Bael Fruit Benefits
Arugula Has The Following Minerals:
One more aspect of why you should have arugula is because it has oxalates in it, which is important for the body. This is a mineral found in many green veggies of the leafy kinds and brings in a lot of calcium to the body.
There are many recipes on arugula available online for you to choose from. But if you have your own recipes, such as juices and salads of arugula to share, we would like to hear from you.
See More: Health Benefits of Fennel
These were the best nine reasons why we love arugula. If you would like to share some of your tips and ideas with us, please feel free to write in or comment below. We love hearing from you as we love sharing with you.