Who doesn’t want to maintain a trim and beautiful body? Although there are many options available, Ayurvedic treatments for weight loss can be the best and most natural way to achieve your ideal weight healthily. Several factors result in fat accumulation in certain parts of your body, making you look fat such as unhealthy eating habits, over-sleeping, and absence of physical activity.
Many herbs mentioned in Ayurveda help cut down all the fat in your body by increasing your body’s metabolic activity. Read on to know more about the Ayurvedic treatments you can use to lose weight effectively.
Find your Dosha:
According to ayurvedic medicine, the human body’s health depends on three fundamental bio-elements in equal proportions known as doshas. The names of the three doshas are Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. These doshas are used in diagnosing several health issues in people with ayurvedic medicines.
- Vata: Cold, light, dry, and minute movement are some of the characteristics of this Dosha.
- Pitta: Sourness, sharpness, moistness, liquidity, and heat are the prominent features of this Dosha representing metabolism.
- Kapha: Heaviness, coldness, lubrication, slowness, and softness are some of the vital features of this Dosha.
Consulting a trained ayurvedic doctor is recommended if you find it difficult to determine your Dosha.
Ayurvedic Diet: Foods To Eat and Avoid, According To Dosha:
Based on the dosha type, the effectiveness of ayurvedic diets is examined by a few studies (1). Here is a list of some of the foods to eat and avoid based on your Dosha:
- Consume three to four meals a day within a gap of two hours.
- Include cooked vegetables in your diet.
- Include sweet and juicy fruits.
- Also, Include seeds and nuts.
- Avoid tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants.
- Avoid fruits like raw apples and cranberries, which are astringent.
- Control the intake of legumes.
- Steer clear of extremely cold or frozen, and raw foods.
- Keep away from products that have added sugar, tobacco, and alcohol.
- Include salads in your diet, especially during summer.
- Eat moderate amounts of lentils and legumes.
- Drink and eat sweetened dairy products
- Control the number of animal foods you include in your diet.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Steer clear of alcohol and coffee.
- Keep away from seeds and nuts.
- Consume fruits like peaches, mangoes, cranberries, and apples that are astringent.
- Include veggies that are grown above the ground and leafy greens in your diet.
- Keep an eye on the quantity of food you consume.
- Try to avoid high-fat foods and dairy.
- Limit the consumption of protein.
- Eat animal foods, nuts, and seeds in a limited amounts.
Effective Ayurvedic Remedies For Weight Loss:
We present you with a list of some of the ayurvedic remedies you can try for weight loss healthily:
Triphala is a famous ayurvedic preparation made out of three superfruits Amalaki, bibhitaki, and haritaki. The rejuvenating and cleansing properties of these three dried fruits help rejuvenate your digestive system by eliminating toxins from your body, making it one of the best ayurvedic treatments for weight loss.
A study shows that it reduces blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes and weight loss (2). Drinking a warm water glass mixed with Triphala choorna half an hour before breakfast or two hours after dinner for effective weight loss.
Guggul is a dried resin that is popularly used in many medications in Ayurveda. Extracted from the Mukul myrrh tree, guggul is a dried resin with a guggulsterone plant sterol, which boosts your body’s metabolism (3). This natural cholesterol-lowering herb is a perfect ayurvedic medicine for weight loss. Guggul tea is the best way to add this herb to your daily routine.
The diuretic properties of punarnava help improve the functioning of the kidney and urinary bladder. This helps flush out unnecessary toxins from your body without losing any essential minerals making it one of the best ayurvedic medicine to reduce weight. Punarnava also doesn’t retain water in your body and also addresses issues like constipation. Drinking punarnava tea helps you lose weight healthily (4).
Fenugreek, also known as methi, has numerous health benefits and supports the efficient working of your digestive system aiding in weight loss. It helps you keep your cravings under control with the help of a water-soluble component called galactomannan and also increases your body’s metabolic rate (5).
- A spoonful of roasted fenugreek seeds.
- A glass of water.
- Grind the roasted methi seeds into a fine powder.
- Consume half spoonful of the powder with water first thing in the morning.
5. Curry Powder:
Turmeric, cayenne pepper, ground coriander, ground cumin, and ground ginger are the common ingredients found in curry powder. All of these ingredients have anti-inflammatory properties that help maintain a healthy body. cayenne pepper is another ingredient that improves your body’s ability to burn fat, making it one of the best ayurvedic remedies for weight loss
Cinnamon or dalchini is one of the commonly used spices in many households. It stimulated the metabolism of the visceral fatty tissue due to the presence of cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon. It is especially helpful in cutting down on the dreaded belly fat (6).
- One cup of water.
- A stick of cinnamon.
- One tbsp of honey.
- Boil the cup of water with a stick of cinnamon in the bowl.
- Strain the cinnamon stick and pour the water into a cup.
- Add the honey to the cup and mix it thoroughly.
7. Lemon and Honey:
Lemon with honey is one of the popular combinations to lose weight organically. It helps neutralize bacteria and germs because of its powerful anti-pathogen properties. It helps flush out all the harmful elements from your body, kick your metabolism, and improve the digestive process, resulting in efficiently burning fat (7).
- Two spoonfuls of honey.
- One glass of lukewarm water.
- Two spoonfuls of fresh lemon juice.
- Add the fresh lemon juice and honey to the lukewarm water.
- Mix the contents well.
- Drink the concoction first thing in the morning.
8. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is one of the dense plants that promote weight loss with some active compounds. It nourishes and detoxifies your body with the help of the complex carbohydrate called acemannan by stimulating the cells’ absorption of nutrients. It aids in weight loss by boosting metabolism (8).
- One tbsp of aloe vera gel.
- One glass of water.
- Mix the aloe vera gel with the water and mix it thoroughly.
- Drink this liquid first thing in the morning.
Kalonji, also known as black cumin or black seed, has a wide range of uses. These seeds contain nigellone and a rich fibre source, making them one of the best options to control obesity. Although more research is needed to confirm the results, it improves weight loss in obese men and women, according to human studies (9). You can easily add this spice to your diet for effective results.
Black pepper is packed with minerals like calcium, potassium, sodium, and vitamins A, K, and C that has several health benefits. The healthy fats and fibre in black pepper help you lose weight effectively (10). Adding pepper to your tea early in the morning will give you the fresh start you need.
11. Carom Seeds:
The natural antioxidants present in the carom seeds or ajwain promote weight loss by eliminating the toxin build-ups from your body. It also speeds up the metabolism of your body effectively (11).
- One tbsp of carom seeds.
- One glass of water.
- Soak the carom seeds in the water overnight.
- Boil the water for a few minutes in the morning.
- Strain the seeds and pour the water into a glass.
- Drink it first thing in the morning.
Ayurvedic Tips for Weight Loss:
Here is a list of some of the ayurvedic tips you can follow for weight loss:
1. Eat Three Satisfying Meals Every Day:
The digestive fire is an important concept as per ayurvedic tradition. Including regular and reliable fuel in your body in the form of healthy foods will help you maintain a healthy metabolism.
2. Eat More During the Day and Less at Night:
Eating an early and light dinner is the key to losing weight. This process helps detoxification of the body. You will be able to cleanse your system by including soups and salads in your diet.
3. Practice Mindfulness:
Meditation and yoga are some of the ancient forms of mind-body practices that release stress from your body, which is considered one of the leading causes of weight gain.
4. Exercise at Least Three Days a Week:
Including exercises in your daily routine helps you burn all the unnecessary fat increasing the metabolic rate. Walking, cycling, yoga, swimming, and running are some of the fun activities you can try.
5. Start the Day by Drinking Hot Water or Tea:
Drinking hot water or tea prepared from fresh herbs like ginger to prepare a tea will give your morning a fresh start. The hot beverage will cut down the ama in our body, which forms due to pollutants and unhealthy food choices.
6. Sleep Peacefully:
We all know the effect a good night’s sleep has on our bodies. Insufficient sleep is one of the contributing factors to weight gain. 10 pm to 6 am, is the ideal sleeping time, according to Ayurveda.
Losing weight is not a walk in the park. But with the right ayurvedic treatment plan for weight loss, you can not only lose weight but maintain fitness effectively. Depending on your body type, medical condition, genetics, and lifestyle, the results may vary. Choose the right choice mentioned in this article that suits you the most and see the fantastic results! Don’t forget to let us know how this article has helped you.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is not a replacement for professional advice. It is better to consult an ayurvedic doctor for more details. The website is not responsible for the effects it may have on your body.
1. Are There Any Side Effects of Using Ayurvedic Home Remedies?
Ans: Although there are no severe side effects of using the ayurvedic treatment for weight loss, some people may have mild flu-like symptoms or rash, which is a detox effect of the medicine. These reactions are not dangerous and can be a symptom of your body reacting. Your medical practitioner may change the dosage if the response is more potent.
2. What are the Ayurvedic Treatments Available that You Can Use?
Ans: Here is a list of the ayurvedic treatments that not only aid in weight loss but rebalance your health.
- Try to get enough sleep.
- Include warm foods, greens, or oils, making dietary changes.
- Available in the form of teas, capsules, loose powder, medicated ghee/oil, and ayurvedic herbs help you lose weight.
- Panchakarma treatments.
3. How Effective is an Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Loss?
Ans: If you follow the steps mentioned for each remedy diligently, you will start to see results within one to two weeks. If you are in doubt, consult an ayurvedic practitioner for detailed information.