India is the birthplace of the world’s oldest medical system called Ayurveda. It functions on the three key concepts called Vata (Space and Air), Pitta (Fire and Water), Kapha (water and earth). Most of the ailments in the body are caused due to an imbalance of these three doshas. One such common problem faced by many of us is Dandruff.
Dandruff is also called Darunak in Ayurvedic terms which are caused by an imbalance of Kapha and Vata. These two doshas can lead to stickiness and roughness of skin in the deep tissues of your scalp. In an aggravated state, the Kapha-VataDosha can cause the shedding of the dead cells on the scalp, which is called Dandruff in modern terms.
In this article, we have listed some of the best Ayurveda treatments for dandruff that can not only treat your existing problem but also minimize the frequency of its occurrence in the future.
9 Best Ayurvedic Treatments for Dandruff
Here are the 9 best Ayurvedic remedies which work on the principles of Ayurveda to help you get rid of dandruff:
1. Fenugreek Seeds for Dandruff:
Fenugreek or methi seeds are used in many ayurvedic formulations to treat dandruff. It contains a powerful anti-fungal agent that can inhibit the growth of yeast cells on your scalp. Fenugreek is also a rich source of zinc, protein, lecithin and nicotinic acid which can hydrate your scalp and prevent it from dryness. Regular application of fenugreek in paste or oil can effectively control dandruff and hair fall associated with it.
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 Cup
- Water – to Soak
- Lemon juice/Curd – 2 tbsp
- Soak fenugreek seeds for 8-10 hours
- Make a smooth paste out of these seeds by adding little water.
- Add some lemon juice or curd to increase the benefits.
- Apply the paste all over the affected scalp region
- Leave it on for an hour.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash it off.
NOTE: You can also boil some fenugreek seeds in coconut oil and apply it on your scalp to treat dandruff.
[ Read More: Fenugreek for Dandruff Cure ]
2. Neem for Dandruff:
Neem is hailed as a “SarvaRogaNivarini” (healer of all diseases) in Ayurveda. The anti-fungal properties of Neem can destroy dandruff-causing Fungi like Candida and Malassezia. Additionally, neem can also reduce inflammation on the scalp and prevent infections with its anti-septic properties. Neem can control the secretion of excess sebum or overdrying of the scalp by balancing the pH levels with regular use.
- Neem Leaves – 1 Cup
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
- Boil 1 cup of neem leaves in water and grind them into a smooth paste
- Add some lemon juice and mix well
- Section your hair and neatly apply the paste on your scalp
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Use a mild shampoo to rinse out the paste
- Repeat the procedure twice a week for the best results
NOTE: You can also use diluted neem essential oil to reap similar benefits for treating dandruff.
3. Lemon to Get Rid of Dandruff:
Also called “Nimbuka”, lemon is an excellent ayurvedic remedy to treat dandruff. Lemon contains citric acid that balances the pH levels of the scalp and keeps oiliness at bay. Its juice’s acidic properties can break down fungal growth, while its antioxidant agents can fight free radicals to minimize hair damage. You can either apply lemon juice directly on the scalp or mix it with other ingredients if you have sensitive skin.
- Lemon Juice – 2-3 tbsp
- Coconut Oil – 3 tbsp
- Heat some coconut oil in a small cup (DO NOT BOIL)
- Add some lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply this oil all over the scalp
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild cleanser
- Repeat the process twice or thrice a week
NOTE: To use it directly, slice a lemon into half and rub it on your scalp gently. Keep it on for 10 minutes and wash off with water.
4. Aloe Vera for Dandruff:
Aloe vera also called Ghritkumari in Sanskrit, can be an effective anti-dandruff ayurvedic remedy. It is a water-rich agent that can soothe and hydrate an irritated and itchy scalp. The Proteolytic enzymes in the gel can buff dead cells on your scalp to prevent pore blockages. Along with reducing inflammation on the scalp, Aloe vera also control hair fall associated with dandruff.
- Aloe vera Gel – ½ Cup
- Use freshly extracted aloe vera gel or organic gel from a trusted brand
- Blend it well for easy application
- Apply the gel all over the scalp
- Leave it on for 1 hour
- Wash your hair thoroughly with water and shampoo
NOTE: You can also add some lemon juice, olive oil or coconut oil for increased effectiveness.
5. Amla to Remove Dandruff:
Amla or Amalaki is a Vitamin C-rich ingredient that works wonders for eliminating dandruff. It reduces scalp inflammation and inhibits fungal growth with its anti-microbial properties. It even alleviates symptoms of itching and irritation, along with strengthening hair follicles. Amla can be used in different forms like powder, paste or juice to eliminate a flaky scalp.
- Amla Powder – ½ Cup
- Water – 1 Cup
- Make a paste out of Amla and water.
- Mix well until the desired consistency is achieved
- Apply the paste all over the affected scalp
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it thoroughly with water and a mild ayurvedic cleanser
NOTE: You can also add amla powder with henna or use freshly grounded amla paste for treating dandruff.
6. Henna to Reduce Dandruff:
Henna is a super effective Ayurvedic remedy for treating dandruff. It has cooling properties which can offer instant relief from itchy and burning sensations on the scalp. Additionally, Henna balances the pH levels of the scalp to prevent excessive dryness or greasiness. Mixing it with hydrating agents like curd, amla powder etc. can offer extra nourishment to your scalp.
- Henna Powder – 1/2 Cup
- Amla Powder – ½ Cup
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
- Curd – To Mix
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well to achieve the desired consistency
- Now make thin sections of hair and apply the paste covering the entire scalp region.
- Leave it on for 30-40 minutes.
- Rinse the product thoroughly using water and a mild cleanser
NOTE: You can also use henna with other ingredients like egg, tea decoction etc.
[ Read More: Henna for Grey Hair ]
7. Green Gram for Dandruff:
Green gram is another excellent herbal remedy for treating dandruff. This lentil can hydrate your scalp, smoothen your strands and reduce the appearance of dry flakes. You can prepare an ayurvedic anti-dandruff mask by mixing green gram powder with curd and lemon juice to get rid of this pesky scalp problem.
- Green gram powder – 1 tbsp
- Yoghurt – 3 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Mix well to form a smooth paste
- Apply the mixture all over your scalp
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it thoroughly with water
8. Hibiscus for Dandruff:
Hibiscus flowers and leaves are used as haircare ingredients in traditional Ayurveda. It contains essential amino acids which can strengthen your hair follicles and prevent breakages. The astringent properties of this flower can control excess oil secretion and reduce the severity of dandruff. The high amounts of mucilage in the hibiscus can condition your strands and leave them looking glossy.
- Hibiscus Flowers – 3 to 4
- Curd – 5-6 tbsp
- Wash the flowers thoroughly to get rid of bugs
- Make a paste by blending them with some water.
- Add some curd to this paste.
- Apply the paste all over your scalp and hair
- Allow it to dry for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off thoroughly with water and shampoo.
NOTE: You can use hibiscus powder if you don’t have access to fresh flowers
9. Camphor for Dandruff:
Camphor or Karpooram works as a natural treatment for dandruff. This white powder or pill has a strong minty aroma and long-lasting cooling properties. Along with offering quick relief from itchiness, camphor can also reduce yeast infections with its antifungal properties. You can make an easy ayurvedic anti-dandruff recipe by mixing camphor with coconut oil.
- Coconut Oil – 1 Cup
- Camphor – 2-3 Pinches
- Slightly warm some coconut oil and mix some camphor.
- Transfer the oil to a glass bottle
- Use it every night to get effective relief.
Those are some of the best ayurvedic treatments for dandruff control. In case these remedies offer very little or no help, speak to an ayurvedic doctor to take the right course of treatment. Also, maintain good hair and scalp hygiene to reduce this condition’s frequency and live a flake-free life!
1. Can Ayurveda help in getting rid of dandruff permanently?
Yes! A combination of supplements and topical treatments in Ayurveda can put an end to dandruff woes. You must clearly speak to your doctor about your lifestyle, health problems and diet to help them decide on the right medication for you.
2. Are there any specific treatments in Ayurveda for dandruff?
An ayurvedic doctor may suggest Panchakarma treatments along with internal medication to tackle dandruff. These procedures can eliminate toxins in the body and reset the system again. You may also go for Shirodhara, shiroabhyanga etc. to deal with surface-level problems.
3. Why Ayurveda forbids hot water bath for your hair?
According to Ayurveda, washing your hair with very hot water can aggravate the Vata dosha, which leads to dry and coarseness. This can trigger dandruff and its associated symptoms. Lukewarm water is also preferable to wash your hair.