Banana is an amazing fruit with delicious taste and is nutritious in every bite. Every part of the banana plant, like the stem, flower, fruit, and the leaf are useful. It is affordable and is readily available throughout the year. Banana stands top in the list of superfoods as one of the best banana health benefits is that it is rich in fibre and works wonders on our digestive health. Read on to know the umpteen banana health benefits!
Importance of The Banana Fruit:
The banana is the source of several vital nutrients. It works great as a digestive that aids in bowel movement and has a high content of fibre for gut health. They are rich sources of vitamin B6, as well as vitamin C. These help in better absorption of iron and increases haemoglobin count. The uses of bananas how that overall, it is beneficial for cardiovascular and blood health.
Bananas are excellent sources of potassium and effective in the treatment of high blood pressure and cholesterol. Bananas take care of our gastric health by treating issues like stomach ulcers and constipation. The banana flower helps to control diabetes, juice of the banana stem flushes out toxins; raw bananas are rich in fibre and keep irritable bowel syndrome at bay(1).
Banana Nutritional Value:
Bananas contain potassium that helps to lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart disease. The magnesium found in bananas is essential for heart health. They are naturally free cholesterol, sodium, and fat. They provide a wide variety of minerals and vitamins. The nutritional values per 100 grams of medium-sized banana serving & their Percent Daily Values (%DV*)
- Calories: 89
- Total Fat: 0.3 g – 0%
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g – 0%
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg – 0%
- Sodium: 1 mg – 0%
- Potassium: 358 mg – 10%
- Total Carbohydrates: 23 g – 7%
- Dietary Fibre: 2.6 g – 10%
- Sugar: 12 g
- Protein: 1.1 g – 2%
- Vitamin A: 1%
- Vitamin C: 14%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 1%
- Vitamin D: 0%
- Vitamin B6: 20%
- Cobalamin: 0%
- Magnesium: 6%
- Percent Daily Values (based on a 2,000-calorie diet).
- The daily values may be high or low, depending on calorie needs.
Health Benefits Of Eating Bananas:
Here are our 30 best uses of eating banana. Let’s have a look into them.
1. Gives Instant Energy:
For energy, a banana would be ideal, and one would find many athletes and players snacking on one before workout sessions, and in the middle of it. According to research, banana benefits for muscles is a proven fact that two bananas are sufficient for a strenuous 90-minute workout. Bananas contain three natural sugars—sucrose, glucose, and fructose along with fibre, which together gives a substantial and sustained boost of energy(2).
2. Good For Bowel Movements:
Bananas have plenty of soluble fibres in them. The natural absorption of water by these soluble fibres helps the stools to remain soft. This, in turn, enables smooth bowel movement and prevents hard stools, which can cause constipation. The amount of fibre needed to avoid constipation can vary from person to person. Most of us are familiar with ripe bananas given to enable easy bowel movement.
3. Sugar Controller:
The best way to keep the blood sugar levels under control would be the consumption of bananas that take care of the glycemic index. The fruit loaded with carbs, which are low and healthy. It all depends on the ripeness of the fruit. If one wants to lose the spikes in the blood sugar by consuming bananas, then speak to a specialist and get a customized plan for the same.
4. Banana For Weight Loss:
Yes, the banana would not be the ideal fruit to think of if you want to lose weight, but when you have sugar cravings and would wish to satiate it, then a banana would help ideally in a healthy way. So no more snacking on sugary candy bars or junk food, especially not when you have a natural source to end all your sweet cravings, say experts. Apart from that, the fibre in bananas would help keep you feeling full and keep hunger pangs at bay.
See More: Types of Bananas in India
5. Prevent Constipation:
One of the advantages of banana is as a laxative. A banana would be useful for treating constipation issues. Bananas are prebiotic that feeds healthy bacteria in the body, say the experts(3). This process helps the nutrients in the fruit to be absorbed better and sooner. Bananas contain soluble fibre that absorbs water and helps the stools to stay large and soft.
6. Relief From Acidity:
Bananas also help bring down the causes of heartburn and provides relief from acidity too. Bananas provide a natural antacid effect and give a soothing relief to heartburn. So no more running for antacids which would have chemicals in it, have a banana when you feel the burn within, and in no time you will experience relief.
7. Battles Stomach Ulcers:
Bananas help by fortifying the cells, which shapes the stomach lining. Stomach ulcers can be harrowing, which is why one must consume banana daily. There are compounds in the fruit, which act as barriers and defeat the harmful effects of hydrochloric acids found in the stomach.
Bananas also work against the ill effects of bad bacteria in the stomach lining, hence keeping the stomach walls safe and healthy. Banana offers a strong shield of bodily fluid, which lessens the stomach acids. Protease in banana likewise helps in disposing of microscopic organisms in the stomach, which shields the stomach from ulcers.
8. Strong Immunity System:
There is a high content of vitamin B6 in bananas, and we all know how important this vitamin regulates blood glucose levels. It breaks amino acids down and produces antibodies, which would provide stronger immunity. It is easier to consume the humble banana than popping vitamin pills to have a strong immune system.
9. Full Of Nutrients:
Bananas are a powerhouse of minerals as well as vitamins. This is one of the pros of banana. It has an abundant source of potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C that helps the body in the better absorption of iron. The fruit also has zinc, selenium, iodine, and iron in it. All these are important for the overall development of the body. Bananas also contain manganese, dietary fibre, copper, and biotin.
10. Vitality Booster:
Banana fruit benefits are numerous and are incredible. Incorporate them into your routine breakfast regimen. Bananas are additionally the most loved fruit of athletes, especially when there is a sudden need for a spurt of energy. Bananas can instantly transform sugar into energy.
11. Controls Blood Pressure:
Banana is a tropical fruit that has an extremely high amount of potassium in it but is low in salt. This makes it perfect for treating high blood pressure. Bananas filled with calcium, potassium, magnesium is a healthy option for holding circulatory strain under control. Research has demonstrated that potassium utilization is useful for those who experience the ill effects of hypertension. The blend of calcium, potassium, and magnesium is incredible in controlling blood pressure(4).
See More: Health Benefits Of Dates
12. Lessens Cholesterol:
Banana contains a soluble fibre that diminishes cholesterol in the body. Consumption of banana diminishes LDL cholesterol without influencing the level of the HDL cholesterol. So bananas eaten in moderation, they help rather than harm the cholesterol level. Bananas provide a good source of dietary fibre. The potassium in the bananas lower blood pressure, which in turn may lower cholesterol.
13. Enhances Brain Power:
Potassium and vitamin B6present in bananas enhances nerve capacities and intellectual competence. It increases alertness and assists in learning. Banana keeps the mental capacity attentive and livens up the learning abilities. The vitamin B6 promotes the production of norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine; this, in turn, supports concentration.
14. Minimizes The Risk Of Stroke:
Bananas contain a rich source of potassium and have the ability to prevent heart attacks and strokes. This is one of the prime banana heart benefits as they prevent blockages, narrowing, and hardening of arteries. Thus, bananas should be incorporated into a daily diet to keep our heart healthy and minimize the danger of a fatal stroke.
15. Lessens The Risk Of Cancer:
Fully ripe bananas have in their skin TNF (tumour necrosis factor). This works towards the elimination of abnormal cells. The higher the banana can boost one’s immunity, the lower will be your risk of cancer. Banana is fortunate in cell reinforcements and dietary filaments, which is useful in treating the risk of different sorts of malignancies, especially intratumor(5).
16. Makes Bone Healthy:
The probiotic microorganisms in a banana assimilate calcium. Calcium is useful for bones and teeth, and consequently, banana is an awesome treatment for your calcium requirements. These banana benefits for kids will help to supplement calcium in children. It gives assurance against joint and muscle issues. To increase the benefits of eating bananas on bone health, consume it with a glass of milk.
17. Upgrades Digestion:
One cannot deny the banana digestion benefits as it is abundant in beneficial microorganisms, known as fructooligosaccharides, which acts as a stimulant for probiotics in the colon and produces compounds, which encourage the digestion of supplements. Along these lines, banana is likewise useful for absorption and in controlling the development of threatening microbes in the body.
18. Cures Piles:
Piles can be successfully treated by reducing episodes of constipation and managing the normal functioning of bowel movements. Another ideal way to treat haemorrhoids would be to consume banana on an empty stomach. The best way to treat bleeding haemorrhoids is to eat three bananas daily.
See More: Artichoke Benefits
19. Treat Anaemia:
Bananas are especially beneficial because they contain easily assimilable folic acid, iron, and B12. All of these are extremely useful in the treatment of anaemia. Bananas being rich in iron are useful in the treatment of individuals who are suffering from anaemia as it additionally directs the haemoglobin level in the body.
20. Banana Benefits For Muscles:
It is a well-known fact that bananas are popular among health-conscious people because of the low calories and high fibre content it contains. They are a good source of carbohydrates and gives the much-needed energy needed for a tough workout session. Bananas have high amounts of good carbohydrates that one needs after a strenuous workout. These carbs help restore the levels of glycogen in the body and help to rebuild damaged muscles.
Bananas are good sources of potassium, which is required for muscles to function. They make a perfect post-workout snack because being rich in potassium, bananas can replenish the potassium lost during the workout.
21. Banana Benefits Body Building:
Banana benefits bodybuilding and plays a vital role in one’s muscle-building diet. When added as part of the post-workout meal, it may help reduce muscle recovery time. For the body to build muscles, one needs to eat a sufficient quantity of calories and attain the right balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat to support growth.
Muscle building is a process that requires energy. Bananas are an excellent source of carbs, and they provide muscles with the required energy and help you attain a healthy weight gain. They are also and a good source of other nutrients needed by the body. The nutrients found in this yellow fruit are ideal for muscle building. Bananas are excellent for bodybuilders who need a quick boost of energy.
22. Bananas Improve Kidney Health:
According to a study, bananas go a long way in preventing kidney stones. Researchers have attributed the high magnesium and potassium content found in the banana to be the reason for being able to avoid the formation of kidney stones. It is said that magnesium readily combines with the oxalates in the food we eat. This inhibits the growth of kidney stones known as calcium oxalate crystals. Potassium balances the acidity of the urine, thus preventing an increase in urine acidity and also the development of calcium oxalate crystals.
23. Preserves Memory and Boosts Mood:
Bananas are rich in B vitamins that help to calm the nervous system. Vitamin B6 found in bananas regulates blood glucose levels that can affect mood. Bananas help the brain in transmitting messages, and this is important in cognitive functions such as memory and focus. Hence, bananas are brain food. They help the brain to focus, learn, and pay attention. Bananas being rich in potassium and magnesium give the brain energy to sharpen the brain’s focus, increasing the ability to pay attention and learn.
Bananas also work great as “mood food.”Banana benefits for the brain are by way of production of certain chemicals in your brain that helps in the promotion of good mental health. Bananas contain mood-regulating neurotransmitters, serotonin, and dopamine.
24. Bananas Support Healthy Eyes and Vision:
Regular consumption of banana boosts eye health and prevents vision-related diseases. Some studies show that bananas have carotenoid, which is a compound that converts fruits and vegetables that are orange, red, or yellow into vitamin A. This is an essential precursor for eye health. Bananas contain vitamin A, which is vital for protecting our eyes, maintain normal vision, and improve vision at night.
Despite the widespread belief that carrots are the best for eye health, one cannot ignore bananas, as they do their share as well. Regular addition of banana to our diet helps in warding off eye-related illnesses.
25. Relieve Menstrual Pain:
The discomfort caused by menstrual pain is never-ending and can make one irritable. During the menstrual period, the uterus tends to contract and sheds the lining of the uterus. The hormones involved in inflammation and pain trigger the uterine muscles that cause contractions. All this leads to severe menstrual cramps that begin before the menstrual cycle or after and can last up to 7 days. The pain becomes so unbearable that it sometimes can lead to dizziness, headache, bloating, body aches, swollen feet, and feet, etc.
Banana is one fruit that gives relief during period pain because the vitamin B6 it contains produces red blood cells, which provides relief from pain. Bananas have high potassium content, and this prevents water retention and has proven to be helpful during painful periods and one of the ideal banana benefits for women.
26. Aids In Hangovers:
Consumption of alcohol leads to dehydration because it blocks the production of a particular hormone that helps the body to retain water. This leads to loss of electrolytes like sodium and potassium. Bananas being rich in potassium help to replenish that which is lost due to dehydration. Bananas are said to reduce hangover symptoms by 50 %.
27. Banana Benefits For Skin:
There are various uses of banana for skin health. Benefits of banana on the face are the secret to having a well-moisturized skin. Bananas contain vitamin A, which restores moisture and aids in the repair of dry skin. Mash a banana and apply it to the dry skin. Let it remain for 20-25 minutes before washing it off. This will leave your skin soft and well-nourished.
28. Treatment Of Wrinkles With Banana:
Bananas packed with vital nutrients that go a long way in diminishing the appearance of wrinkles. They provide a healthy glow to the skin. Bananas protect the skin from free radicals. They delay the ageing process. The vitamin C and antioxidants in a banana reduce wrinkles. Rub a banana peel all over the face and leave it for 30 minutes. It can even be left overnight and then wash face. These benefits of the banana peel on face leave the skin looking moisturized.
29. Treat Acne:
For those suffering from acne, the banana peels are truly a blessing in disguise. The worst is when acne leaves behind stubborn scars that can ruin the complexion of one’s skin. Using banana peels on your acne-prone skin has several benefits and no side effects. The starch in the peel helps to remove excess oil, and the vitamins help to reduce swelling, fade scars, and reduce redness. One of the best and natural ways to get relief from acne scars is banana peels!
The best way to use banana peels is to rub a small piece of the peel until it turns brown. Leave it for 30 minutes; once it dries, it can be washed with warm water (it can also be left overnight). Do this 3 times in a day you will begin to notice results!
30. Banana Benefits For Hair:
Bananas work wonders on hair and scalp. They make the hair frizz-free, more manageable, and prevent dandruff. Bananas being rich in potassium, carbohydrates, natural oils, and vitamins often and protect the natural elasticity of the hair. They help to prevent split ends and breakage of hair. It offers a ton of benefits to the hair and a vital ingredient for hair masks made in combination with other natural ingredients.
Banana Peel Benefits For Skin and Health:
Bananas are not only tasty to eat, but it has multi-benefits for our skin, overall health, and hair as well. Banana peel benefits are impressive and can be used topically in skincare. Not many are aware of this. The peels contain antioxidants and minerals and provide an inexpensive alternative to one’s beauty regimen.
- Banana peels work wonders to whiten one’s teeth.
- It helps remove warts by placing the peel on the wart overnight and using tape to keep the peel in place.
- Massaging peels on pimples are also effective. One banana can add countless benefits to the beauty regime with excellent results.
- Banana benefits the skin and works wonders as a skin moisturizer as bananas are rich in potassium. It hydrates, moisturizes, and nourishes dry skin, making it supple and soft.
- Bananas work wonderfully well as an exfoliator. It can sloughs off excess oil on the skin.
- The anti-ageing effects of the banana peel can be seen in the banana peel, which can be rightly called nature’s Botox because they contain a high level of antioxidants. Banana face pack benefits help by preventing fine lines and the appearance of wrinkles.
- Another vital advantage of banana is that it treats acne as bananas packed with many nutrients like Vitamin A, manganese, and zinc, which are anti-inflammatory.
- Banana peel uses for hair, for those suffering from dandruff that is stubborn and keeps recurring banana peel, fruit, leaf, and flower have been used as a treatment for various ailments. The extracts from the different parts of the banana have antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Bananas smoothen frizzy hair as it has high silica content, which is the building block for bouncy and lustrous hair. Bananas can make hair look shiny and manageable as it contains potassium, vitamins, carbohydrates, and calcium, content along with rich natural oils present in it. The antioxidants present in bananas boost hair growth and make the scalp healthy.
- To beat stress, keep your body safe from tumours and cancers, use the peel of banana for skin treatments or the pulp for hair treatments, and also be blessed with easy bowel movements too, enjoy the bliss of everyday life with the consumption of a banana per day.
How and When To Eat Bananas?
There are many recipes available online using bananas, should you choose not to have one as a fruit. It would be nice to read and innovate newer ways of eating bananas. If you have recipes of your own, we would like to hear from you on the same. The ideal time to eat bananas depends on one’s preference and nutritional needs.
- Yellow banana benefits are ideal to be eaten for breakfast. The natural sugar it contains gives a boost of energy, as you get ready to go about your routine work.
- Athletes consider bananas as the perfect snack pre and post-workout
- It is good to eat bananas in the night as yellow bananas contain tryptophan. This essential amino acid helps the body to produce serotonin that helps one to regulate sleep.
- The serotonin found in bananas also work as a natural anti-depressant and treat insomnia, anxiety, and other mood issues like fatigue, irritability, and agitation.
- Dried banana benefits in the form of chips are a good example of banana chips benefits and are liked by both young and old as a snack, which can be eaten at all times.
How To Incorporate Bananas Into Your Diet?
- A healthy option would be to add it to your oatmeal for breakfast
- Boiled banana benefits can be seen with the boiled green banana that helps proper kidney functioning
- Raw bananas can be prepared as a vegetable and had for lunch.
- Bananas can be cooked as kebabs, pakoras, korma, etc.
- Another delicious way of consuming bananas are as smoothies, milkshakes, and energy bars.
- Bananas help to ease digestion, blood pressure and fight anaemia.
- Red banana benefits; lowers blood pressure, and supports eye health. They can be eaten as a fruit anytime.
- Bananas are a substitute both by way of taste and nutrition.
- Toddlers can be given mashed or pureed banana as finger food.
- Incorporate the black-spotted bananas as they offer protection against cancer, ease period pain, etc.
- Elaichi or Yelakki Banana are small-sized and delicious tasting, almost similar to the regular bananas but are sweeter.
Side Effects Of Eating Too Many Bananas?
It is always safer and beneficial to eat anything in moderation as too much can lead to unwarranted side effects and disadvantages.
- Side effects of eating too many bananas can trigger headaches. Headaches occur due to amino acids that dilate the blood vessels.
- Excessive eating of bananas can lead to sleepiness, which is triggered by the tryptophan found in the bananas.
- Excessive consumption of bananas can trigger negative effects of bananas in the form of high minerals and vitamins. Excess potassium can lead to hyperkalemia and leading to muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, and even temporary paralysis.
We hope you find this article detailing the benefits of bananas for your skin, hair, and general health useful. Please do share with us your experiences in using bananas in your day-to-day life in the comments below. We would surely love to hear from you.