Talking about the history of Rai mustard, it was first originated in the regions of temperate areas of Europe. Slowly and steadily, the various rai benefits became popular in the regions of North Africa, Asia, and Europe and now the entire world is aware of its benefits. It is expected that the various uses of mustard paste became popular in the 9th century soon after the cultivation of mustard. Now after all this information, you must be thinking about what is the scientific name of mustard, isn’t it? For your information, the scientific name of yellow mustard is known as Sinapis Alba and that of black mustard is Brassica Nigra. In this post, we enlisted some best benefits of mustard seeds for health, hair and skin.
Along with the various benefits of rai, this mustard grain is known with different names in different languages and some of them are as follow:
- Telugu: Avalu
- Hindi: Rai or Sarso
- Tamil: Kadugu
- Malayalam: Kadugu
- Gujarati: Rai
- Bengali: Shorshe
- Marathi: Mohori
- Punjabi: Rai
What Is Mustard?
It is a versatile cruciferous vegetable that belongs to the family of Brassica. Mustards are available in black, brown and white colour and are popularly known and used in different regions of the world.
Is Mustard Good For Health?
Yes, it is and this can be well understood by knowing the various mustard properties associated with this ingredient. The regular consumption of mustard, in any form, brings the desired benefits that are needed for the normal functioning of the body.
You must make sure that you are using the healthy mustard for getting the desired benefits that you expect from it. With the rising popularity of the use of mustard in the daily routine, people are getting aware of more and more information and facts about mustard.
Importance Of Mustard:
Is mustard good for you? You can be sure with its answer by knowing and analyzing the importance of mustard in daily life. The use of mustard in all the daily consumption of the meals helps in making the body stronger along with delivering it with the essential vitamins and minerals.
Apart from this, the importance of mustard can be witnessed by the various benefits that it gives to the skin and the hair of its users. Many of the health experts are now suggesting the benefits of mustard seeds for making the body strong for fighting against the various health problems.
Nutritional Value Of Mustard:
The world is praising the benefits that they got from the yellow mustard nutrition and why shouldn’t they do so. The mustard nutrition facts have made this thing clear that mustard is the only ingredients that will provide you with only the necessary and desired benefits, no matter in whichever form you consume it.
Other than this, the nutritional value of mustard also helps the users to be sure of the benefits that they will get with the use. You can be sure of the vitamins and other nutrients that you are getting with the regular use of mustard. Do you know the whole grain mustard nutrition?
Have a look at the various nutrients available in mustard along with the quantities to get aware of the various mustard nutrition facts:
- Energy: 508 kcal
- Protein: 26.08 g
- Fat: 36.24 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.09 g
- Fibre: 12.2 g
- Sugar: 6.79 g
- Calcium: 266 mg
- Iron: 9.21 mg
- Magnesium: 370 mg
- Phosphorous: 828 mg
- Potassium: 738 mg
- Sodium: 13 mg
- Vitamin C: 7.1 mg
- Vitamin A: 31 IU
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
How To Eat Mustard?
To get the benefits of mustard vitamins, you can try and include this ingredient in different forms in your diet. One of the most popular ways of including mustard in your diet is in the form of mustard dressing with salad.
Other than this, you can try the following ways of eating mustard in your daily routine for being sure that mustard good for weight loss along with its various other benefits:
- Mustard oil
- Mustard Dip
- Mustard spread
- Mustard powder, etc.
No matter which forms you are using mustard, you should be sure of the quantity that you are consuming.
Benefits Of Mustard Seeds For Health, Hair & Skin:
Apart from the delicious taste of mustard and its easy availability in India, it is the mustard seed benefits which make these mustard seeds quite popular amongst the users. The Indian mustard seeds are quite popular in the households as they deliver many benefits to the overall body needs and requirements. If you are aware of how to eat mustard for targeting the different body issues, then you can get instant relief from that body issue.
Mustard Health Benefits:
Interested in knowing the various benefits of mustard? Here are some of the popular mustard health benefits that you can get with the regular and proper consumption of mustard seeds. Have a look:
1. Prevents Cancer:
Mustard’s effectiveness in the treatment of cancer is one of the major health benefits that it delivers to its users. The effectiveness of mustard cancer can be analyzed by the fact that its use is now supported by many of the health experts. Include some of the mustard seeds while preparing your meals and then witness its magic towards the cancer-causing body cells.
Mustard contains compounds like glucosinolates and myrosinase which helps in treating the cancer-causing cells in the body. The benefits of mustard cancer have certainly made this ingredient quite popular amongst the users as well as in the Indian market.
How To Consume:
- With the regular consumption of mustard seeds, you can not only reduce the risk of cancer but can also treat the existing cancer symptoms.
2. Lowers Cholesterol Levels:
High cholesterol levels are no big deal nowadays as it is because of the busy and hectic schedule of the people. With the daily stress that we all face, it is quite common to have high cholesterol levels and all its associated problems. To bring the desired relief towards the problem of high cholesterol, you can take the benefits of mustard. Mustard and cholesterol are related as mustard can be a simple yet effective remedy for the higher cholesterol problem.
The antioxidants present in mustard helps the body to recover from the problem of high cholesterol in the easiest manner and thus bring in the desired results. The positive connection of mustard and cholesterol has been tested okay by most of the health experts as well.
3. Provides Respiratory Relief:
Out of the many uses of mustard seeds, one of the major ones is its ability to bring the desired relief in respiratory problems. No matter what problem you are facing with the normal working of the respiratory functioning, you can rely on the benefits of eating mustard for that. The mustard properties have indicated its benefits towards respiratory problems. The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties of mustard seeds play a major role in treating respiratory problems.
How To Consume:
- You can add some of the mustard seeds in cooking all your meals or can have a tablespoon of grinded mustard seeds with warm water in the morning for getting the desired benefits for the problem.
- You can also try having mustard tea for treating respiratory problems.
See More: Mustard Powder Benefits
4. Promotes Digestion:
If you are having troubles with your digestive system, then also you can try getting the benefits of mustard seeds for bringing instant relief from the problem. The benefits of mustard constipation are because of the good amount of fibres that are available in mustard. Yes, to all those who are unaware of the nutrition of mustard, it is a rich source of fibre.
How To Consume:
- Regular consumption or the use of mustard in your daily meals is beneficial for promoting digestion.
- They improve the bowel movements in the body and thus enhance the digestive power of the body.
- Along with the benefits of mustard constipation, you can also improve the metabolism of the body.
5. Improves Your Cardiovascular Health:
Are you aware of the various ground mustard uses? Well, one of its major uses is for cooking purposes. Mustard oil is one of the preferred choices for cooking purposes as it can benefit the person who is suffering from cardiovascular health problems. Along with the mustard oil, you can get the same benefits of mustard seeds for treating cardiovascular diseases.
The anti-bacterial and the cardioprotective properties of mustard are known to be beneficial for preventing the growth or the risks of cardiovascular problems. One of the major uses of mustard seeds is to prevent the risk of heart attacks.
How To Consume:
- Use mustard cooking oil along with it add some finely powdered mustard seeds in your meals for getting the desired benefits of mustard against the possible risks of cardiovascular health problems.
6. Treats Psoriasis:
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory disorder that can happen to anyone and due to any reason. The problem of Psoriasis is increasing day by day due to the unbalanced schedule and improper eating habits of the people. The treatment of this disease can take a long while if you are not prepared with the preventive measures against it.
The various mustard seed uses also include the treatment of Psoriasis in them. Yes, these tiny seeds of mustard can bring effective benefits to Psoriasis. The mustard anti-inflammatory properties help in treating Psoriasis in the best manner and that too quite quickly. This is another beneficial mustard medicinal uses that you can completely trust and rely on. However, it is beneficial if you consult with your health experts before starting eating mustards for your problems.
7. Poison Repulsion:
In the list of uses of mustard, you can also add its effectiveness against the poison effect. Mustard is considered to be effective for the repulsion of poison. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties of mustard, you can get instant relief against the effects of the poison. Along with this, the regular consumption of seed of mustard can bring in desired benefits against poison repulsion.
How To Use:
- You can get these popular advantages of mustard by either including the dry mustard uses or the black mustard uses in your diet.
- You can also grind some of the fresh mustard seeds into the fine powder and then mix it with aloe vera gel and essential oils.
- Now apply this mixture on the poison affected part for getting the benefits of mustard for inflammation.
8. Controls Diabetes:
If you have diabetes, you can take the yellow mustard health benefits in controlling that. it has been observed in various types of researches that yellow mustard’s are quite beneficial in reducing the blood sugar levels to a significant level and thus bringing the desired relief against the problem of diabetes. So, if you are thinking, is mustard good for diabetes yes, it is incredibly beneficial.
How To Consume:
- Now when you have got your answer for is mustard good for diabetes, you can start trying the various supplements which contain mustard in them or can have a spoon of finely powdered mustard with a glass of warm water.
- You can also add some honey with the mustard seed powder for enhancing the benefits.
- It is because of the same reason that doctors suggest using mustard during pregnancy.
See More: Mustard Oil Benefits
9. Treats Menopause:
Along with various anti-oxidants and the anti-inflammatory properties of mustard, you can also use the mustard seeds for treating menopause. Mustard is rich in the nutrients like iron, magnesium, copper, and selenium which not only help deliver effectiveness against high blood pressure but also treats the problem of menopause. This is one of the essential advantages of mustard for ladies who are facing severe menopause problems.
How To Consume:
- With the regular use of mustard in your diet along with relying on the mustard supplements, you can get the desired mustard health benefits for menopause.
- You can also warm some mustard oil and then massage your body with that for getting relief in the pain.
- Because of this benefit, you can use mustard during pregnancy as well as you can trust the various benefits of yellow mustard.
10. Aids In Detoxification:
Apart from the fact that mustard good for weight loss, you can rely on the dry mustard uses for detoxifying your body. The various antioxidants present in mustard helps in removing the harmful and unnecessary toxins from the body and thus purifies the body.
The antioxidants combine with the rich content of fibres in mustard and then make the body strong to remove the toxins quite easily from the body. This is yet some of the yellow mustard health benefits that you can gain. Along with this, you can use mustard for inflammation reduction, in case you face any problems during the detoxification of your body. So, are you all set to get these benefits of yellow mustard for your body’s health?
How To Consume:
- You can drink mustard tea for getting the benefits of mustard against the need for body detoxification.
11. Helps Strengthen Teeth, Bones, and Gums:
One of the major benefits of eating mustard is that it strengthens the teeth, bones, and gums. The mustard vitamins along with the various antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties of mustard help in revealing the pain in the gums, bones, and teeth with immediate effects. Many of our elders also recommend the use of mustard for pain.
How To Apply:
- Powder some of the mustard seeds and then mix it with salt and tree tea essential oil for applying on the affected gum area and teeth.
- Apply this paste for 3-4 times in a day and especially during the night and then rinse with warm water.
- You will surely get the desired benefit of mustard in this matter.
- This is also one of the main mustard medicinal uses that are recommended by oral experts.
Benefits Of Mustard Seeds For Skin:
Besides, the health benefits of mustards, you can also make use of mustard for skincare needs. Mustard for skin is nothing less than the perfect ingredient that can target all the possible problems of face, skin and the entire body.
Here are some of the essential benefits of mustard seeds that you can use for your skincare needs:
12. Hydrates and Protects Skin:
We all know the importance of hydrating our skin, no matter what the season is. Despite trying various ingredients for hydrating the skin, the skin sometimes does not get the required amount of nutrients for hydrating itself. This is where you can use the benefits of mustard for your skincare for hydrating it.
The various antioxidants present in mustard seeds removes all the impurities from the skin and thus protects the skin from the possible problems. Along with this, the anti-inflammatory properties of mustard can be used for reducing the pain and inflammation feeling during the use of mustard.
How To Apply:
- Mix some of the mustard seeds with aloe vera gel and then apply the same on your face and skin to hydrate it in the desired manner.
- This is one of the major mustard benefits for skin that you can use.
13. Prevents Anti-Aging:
Ageing signs are the problems which most of the people face their growing age and for obvious reasons, women tend to be primarily affected by witnessing the early signs of ageing. Thus, they always look for some of the other possible solutions for treating the early signs of ageing to look youthful and beautiful. To make your skin youthful, you can include mustard for skincare in your daily routine. Mustard seeds are a rich source of vitamin A, K, and C along with nutrients like carotene and lutein. All these combine together and reduce the signs of ageing in the person.
How To Apply:
- Mix some of the mustard powder with some honey and aloe vera gel and then apply it on your face.
- Leave this mixture for about 15-20 minutes and then wash with normal water.
- You will witness significant results against the problem of ageing.
See More: How To Make Mustard Oil
14. Natural Scrub:
Are you aware of the fact that mustard seeds are natural scrub? They contain the right amount of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for removing the dead skin from the body and thereby exfoliating the skin for its improvement. You can mix some of the mustard seeds with rose essential oil or lavender essential oils and then use this scrub on your face and body. This is one of the most popular and easy to get mustard benefits for skin that you can use daily.
How To Use:
- The regular scrubbing of the body with this natural scrub can bring in the desired benefits against the various problems of the skin.
- You can also look for the various ways of how to use a mustard paste with the various other natural ingredients for making your skin glowing and shinier.
Benefits Of Mustard Seeds For Hair:
Along with the various benefits of mustard for the skin and health, now it is the turn to pay attention to the benefits of mustard for hair. Most of the people are often seen confused with the fact is mustard good for hair? Well, yes, it is. Just like mustard and its properties are beneficial for the health and the skin, they are quite beneficial for the hair as well.
Are you aware of the various ways in which you can use the mustard hair mask for the various hair problems that may occur? If not, then these points will provide you with an idea about the same. Here are some of the benefits of mustard that you can give to your hair:
15. Boosts Hair Growth:
The mustard oil which is extracted from mustard seeds is one of the best things that you can apply on your hair. There is no comparison of the benefits of mustard for hair growth that you can get with the use of natural and organic mustard. Along with stimulating hair growth, you can also trust the benefits of mustard for hair loss.
You can get the desired results of mustard for hair growth due to the presence of vitamin A in them. Vitamin A is considered extremely beneficial for hair growth by balancing the blood circulation in the scalp. Apart from this, you can also use mustard for hair loss problem.
How To Apply:
- For making the mustard hair mask for hair growth, mix some of the mustard oil with almond oil and coconut oil and then apply the same on your hair and scalp for getting the required benefits.
16. Strengthens Hair:
Who doesn’t want stronger hair and for that, we try a lot many ingredients, don’t we? But are you aware that you can use the mustard seed for delivering the needed strength to your hair? Mustard hair mask for hair growth not only promotes hair growth but also makes the hair stronger and shinier. This is because of the presence of vitamin A and E along with calcium, protein and Omega-fatty acids.
How To Apply:
- Mix some of the mustard seeds with almond oil and essential oil and then massage with this mixture for 20 minutes daily.
- You will surely get stronger hair within no time along with mustard hair mask results for other hair and scalp problems.
17. Conditions Hair:
The various fatty acids present in mustard seeds help in getting the desired mustard hair mask results for hair conditioning. With the regular application of mustard oil on your hair conditions your hair from deep inside and thus benefits the hair to the maximum. You can also compare the result by analysing the mustard hair growth mask before and after.
How To Apply:
- Mix some of the mustard seeds with almond oil, coconut oil, curd, and olive oil and then apply this hair mask for about 30-40 minutes.
- Wash your hair with normal water to witness the results of mustard hair growth mask before and after with just 1 month of continuous use.
Side Effects Of Mustard Seeds:
Thanks to mustard nutrition, it is mainly known to deliver only the health benefits to the people. The benefits of mustard target the entire body and deliver the needed relief to the body issue within no time. But are you aware of the various mustard side effects?
Yes, there are some side effects associated with mustard’s as well. If you are not aware, then here are some of the side effects of mustard that you may have to face:
- Damages to throat
- Heart failure
- Breathing difficulties
- Skin blisters
- Skin damages and allergies
See More: Mustard Oil Side Effects
Obviously, these mustard side effects are because of the over-consumption of mustard and therefore, you should always consult your health expert before starting with the dosage of mustard for getting the desired benefits.
These are some of the famous mustard seed benefits that you can include in your daily routine. Mustard will shower all its benefits on you, if and only if you consume it in the right and adequate manner. You should also be aware of how to use mustard paste so that you never fail to grab the maximum benefits from it.
The nutritional value of mustard also indicates the fact that mustard’s are meant to benefit the body’s health, skin, and hair in the best possible manner. Are you prepared for the mustard seed uses? If you have any doubt regarding any aspect of mustard, do comment below with all your doubts and queries. We will get back to you with the best relevant information to clear all your doubts.