Spotted an ugly pimple on your face? Before you get tempted to squeeze it out, we recommend you to try these best Anti-Pimple creams in India. These topical applications not only reduce the severity of your zits but also make them disappear from your face. To help you make the right decision, we have put together a list of branded, medicated and herbal acne creams available in India.
But before that, let us understand what is acne and what causes it?
Acne is a common skin disorder which is caused when the skin pores are clogged by excess sebum or hair follicles, leading to inflammation. The lesions are filled with pus as a result of bacterial infections and usually affect the face, upper arms, back and trunk. (1) It can even affect sensitive areas of the face like the side of lip, nose, ears, forehead and chin, causing acute pain and discomfort.
Here are some of the major contributors of acne:
- Imbalance in Androgens during puberty, pregnancy and PCOS.
- Medications like Lithium, Steroids and Heart-related drugs.
- Exposure to pollution and sunlight.
- Wearing sweat blocking clothes like tight headbands and undergarments.
- Genetic Disorders and a family history of acne.
17 Best Anti-Acne Creams For 2020:
Now that you have understood the factors that lead to pimples, it’s time to know how to deal with them! Unless you have a major breakout on your face, these topical creams and lotions can effectively work for treating acne at home:
- Herbal Anti-Pimple Creams
- Drugstore Anti-Pimple Creams
- Medicated Anti-Acne Ointments
- How To Use Anti-Pimple Creams?
- Tips On How To Prevent Pimples
- Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
Herbal Anti-Pimple Creams
1. Biotique Bio Chlorophyll Oil-Free Anti-Acne Gel:
Tried off dealing with the irritating sensation of pimples? Try this soothing Bio-Chlorophyll gel from Biotique. It moisturizes the skin as it is infused with extracts of seaweed and sea algae. The ingredients include aloe Vera that helps to tighten the pores. It also helps to keep the skin healthy and nourished. Chlorophyll is another active ingredient which has great antiseptic properties to heal acne. Additionally, it even cools your skin and provides instant relief from redness and inflammation.
Key Ingredients: Chinaighas (gelidiumamansii), kuda (holorrhennaantidysenterica), ghritkumari (aloevera indica), kikkargaund (acacia arabica), samundir kai (gelidiumamansii), himalayan water Q.S.
- Suitable for oily skin.
- Controls excess sebum on the face.
- Leaves a cool feeling on a skin.
- Works on dark spots and scars.
- May cause allergic reactions on sensitive skin.
- Does not work for chronic and deep acne.
2. Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream Wso Cream:
Vicco Turmeric WSO Cream is one of the oldest anti-pimple creams in the Indian market. It is a drugstore Ayurvedic formula that is powered with Haldi or Turmeric. The cream has anti-microbial properties that can effectively bring down the infections and reduce the size of the boils. With regular use, the cream is also known to improve your complexion.
Key Ingredients: Turmeric, Milk Extracts.
- Can be used by all skin types.
- Safe formula.
- The potency of the cream hasn’t changed over the years.
- Reduces T-Zone oils.
- Can be used to heal open wounds caused by acne.
- Can make your face sweaty.
- Not recommended for use during sun exposure.
See More: Retinol Creams for Skin
3. Jovees Ayurveda Neem & Long Pepper Anti Acne and Pimple Cream:
This Ayurveda recipe by Jovees is formulated with the power of neem and long pepper to fight infection-causing bacteria. It is a natural therapy to cure acne on your skin and is suitable for oil control as well. This is a natural pimple cream for oily skin and is recommended for everyday use to reduce inflammation and redness, along with lowering the chances of future breakouts.
Key Ingredients: Long Pepper, Tea Tree, Red Sandalwood, Wintergreen, Clove and Neem Oil
- Contains Natural extracts.
- Lowers the chances of acne with regular use.
- Budget-friendly product.
- Available in most stores.
- Not a miracle product for treating existing acne.
- Leaves a heavy feeling on the skin.
4. Himalaya Acne-n-Pimple Cream:
Himalaya’s Acne-n-Pimple cream offers the goodness of Ayurveda to treat your lesions. It contains powerful ingredients like Aloe vera, Alum, Chaste tree extracts, etc., which inhibit bacterial growth and offer quick relief from the painful eruptions. The astringent properties of this product can tighten your pores, which can be helpful in draining the abscess.
Key Ingredients: Barbados Aloe (Aloe barbadensis), Five-leaved Chaste Tree (Vitex negundo), Silk Cotton Tree (Salmaliamalabarica)
- Effective in controlling skin infections.
- Leaves a cooling sensation on the skin.
- Lowers the size of the zits.
- Smoothens skin.
- Not recommended for moderate to severe acne.
- May not suit people with sensitive skin.
[Read: Products To Remove Acne Scars]
5. Dr Batra’s Natural Anti Acne Cream:
Dr Batra’s Natural Anti-Acne cream is designed to give you smooth and glowing skin. The product is enriched with Berberis Aquifolium to clear out your skin and remove pimples from its very roots. It also contains Echinacea, which can generate healthy skin, along with Olive; of extracts, that lower the signs of aging and damage.
Key Ingredients: Berberis Aquifolium, Echinacea, Olive Leaf Extracts.
- Does not clog pores.
- Clears up small pimples.
- Softens skin and leaves it in a good condition.
- Non-sticky formula.
- Take a long time for the effects to show.
- Works only as spot treatments and not for severe acne conditions.
6. Greencure Acne Silk Herbal Anti Acne & Pimple Cream:
The Acne silk herbal anti-acne cream claims to show its effect from the first application itself. It is a potent formula that can control the intensity of existing acne, along with preventing future occurrences. The main ingredient is Bamboo silk, which has oil-controlling properties to control unwanted shine. The Red clover extract can lighten the scars and make you look visibly brighter. The product can be used by women and men of all ages, including teenagers.
Key Ingredients: Bamboo Silk, Salicylic Acid, Red Clover Extract and Magnolia Bark.
- Contains Salicylic acid, along with natural ingredients.
- No harmful chemicals like Parabens and Mineral Oil.
- Fragrant free formula.
- Lightweight cream.
- Gets instantly absorbed by the skin.
- Does not work on acne marks.
- Available only in selected stores.
7. Eraser Anti-acne and Pimple Cream:
The Eraser Anti-acne and pimple cream is an Ayurveda recipe to control acne using the power of herbal extracts. It contains powerful ingredients like neem, Ghandak and Lodhra, which have acne-fighting abilities. The product can also soak in excess oil, which is responsible for blocking your pores. It is mild on your skin and doesn’t cause any dryness.
Key Ingredients: Khair, Neem, Ghandak, Masoor, Lodhra.
- Contains Natural extracts.
- Mild on skin.
- Free from harmful chemicals.
- Doesn’t dry out the skin.
- Reasonable pricing.
- May cause irritation on sensitive skins.
8. Organic Riot Zap Anti-Pimple Cream:
Organic Riot is a light-weight formula that gets quickly absorbed by the skin and controls moderate breakouts. It has a serum-like consistency and almost invisible after application. The product contains organic ingredients to give you the best of skincare experience. It can work like a spot-treatment and also as an overnight repair mask to get rid of inflammation on the skin.
Key Ingredients: Water, (Organic) Vegetable Glycerin, (ECOCERT) Dehydroxanthan Gum, (ECOCERT) Dehydroacetic Acid, (ECOCERT) Benzyl Alcohol, (Organic) Neem Seed Oil, (Organic) Tamanu Oil, (ECOCERT) Natural Fragrance, (Food Grade) Potassium Sorbate, Natural & Wildcrafted Manuka Essential Oil
- Attractive Packaging.
- Runny consistency which makes it easy for application.
- Gets quickly absorbed by the skin.
- Pure quality ingredients.
- Starts to show results from 1st use.
- Suitable for combination to oily skin.
- Very expensive for the quantity.
[Read: Best Face Washes for Pimples]
9. Khadi Natural Ayurvedic Acne Pimple Cream:
This Herbal formulation from Khadi is specially designed to clear pimples and heal the blemishes. It is a blend of potent ingredients like Basil, Neem, Tea tree oil, Clove extract, etc., which fight bacterial infections and bring down the skin eruptions. You can use it twice a day for atleast 10 days to notice the results. With regular use, a visible difference in your skin texture can be noticed.
Key Ingredients: Neem extract, Basil extract, Teatree oil, calendula extract, Clove extract, Cinnamon bark extract, camphor, Lavender extract, Turmeric, base qs
- Natural Formula with no chemicals.
- Doesn’t dry out the skin.
- Light scent.
- Gives a natural glow on your face.
- Safe for prolonged use.
- Not suitable for oily and sensitive skin.
10. Vaadi Herbals Value Anti Acne Cream:
Vaadi herbals anti-acne cream is formulated to treat and eliminate acne from the skin. It uses the anti-bacterial properties of Neem oil, Clove extracts and Orange extracts to destroy the acne-causing microbes. These agents also control excess oil from the skin to prevent pore blockages. Another powerful agent, Tea tree oil, removes dead cells and drains the excess abscess from the pores to give you a smoother, lesion-free skin.
Key Ingredients: Clove Oil (Eugenia Caryophyllus Stem Oil), Neem Leaf Extract ( Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract), Tea Tree Oil ( Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil), Orange Peel Extract (Citrus Aurantium Amara Peel Extract), Coconut Oil Derivative ( Cocos Nucifera Oil), DM Water (Aqua)
- Contains naturally derived ingredients.
- Has a pleasant herbal scent.
- Works ok on dry skin.
- Reduces the size of zits.
- Doesn’t work for oily and sensitive skin.
- Leaves a greasy feeling on the skin.
- Quantity is too less for the price.
Drugstore Anti-Pimple Creams
11. O3+ Dermal Zone Zitderm Intensive Acne & Pimple Cream:
If you are looking for an effective drug store product, check out this cream from O3+. The Intensive Pimple cream helps in fading out your acne, along with reducing your breakouts. It can even control excess oil and provide long-lasting relief from acne. The cream is also effective in shrinking your pores and give you a naturally smoother and tighter looking skin. You can also use it as a moisturizer that hydrates your skin and works on the zits at the same time.
Key Ingredients: Not available.
- Removes dry and peeling of skin.
- Controls mild acne.
- Lightens skin tone.
- Suitable for oily skins as well.
- Some people experienced discolouration of the skin with this product.
Average Rating: 3.2/5.
12. SebaMed Face Care Gel:
If you are looking for an anti-pimple cream that doesn’t dry out skin, Sebamed Face care gel is the best bet! It has active agents like Hylauronic acid that moisturize your skin without blocking the pores. Ingredients like allantoin, panthenol and aloe vera extracts smoothen your skin and make it super soft. By balancing the ph levels of the skin, this gel can protect the skin from bacterial infections.
Key Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Sodium Carbomer, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol.
- Very light-weight formula.
- Good for overall facial use.
- Controls oil and grease.
- Lowered breakouts after a few uses.
- May not work for dehydrated skin.
Average Rating: 4/5
[Read: Ayurvedic Treatments for Pimples]
13. Sebogel Salicylic Acid & Nicotinamide Gel:
Sebogel Anti-pimple gel is specially designed for oily skin. It is an advanced formulation that has faster action on the lesions. The two agents- Salicylic acid and Nicotinamide gel act together to get rid of acne, along with healing the open scars. The exfoliating properties of this product can reveal a younger, fresher looking skin with regular usage.
Key Ingredients: Salicylic acid, Nicotinamide (Vitamin B3).
- Potent formula.
- Shows instant results.
- Helps in clearing the zits.
- Lightens scars and dark spots.
- May not suit sensitive skins.
- Doesn’t work for severe acne.
Average Rating: 3.8/5
14. Garnier Men Acno Fight Pimple Clearing Whitening Day Cream:
Here is an anti-pimple cream specially designed for men. The intense formula is tough on acne but gentle on skin. It can be used as an everyday whitening cream, which lightens skin, along with clearing the flare-ups. The product also works on blackheads and oil-control to give you a visibly fresh and brighter-looking face.
Key Ingredients: Not known.
- Evens out skin tone.
- Works on dark spots and blemishes.
- Gives a noticeable difference in 6 weeks.
- Controls the pimple size to an extent.
- Contains harsh chemicals.
- Not suitable for sensitive skins.
Average Rating: 4/5
Medicated Anti-Acne Ointments
15. Clincitop Gel for Topical Treatment of Acne, Pimples:
The Clincitop gel is a medicated drug-store product that contains Clindamycin as its key ingredient. It is a mild anti-biotic formula that can be used by both men and women to treat acne. The product is designed to treat mild to moderate acne and dark spots that come with it. It can also reduce redness and inflammation associated with pimples.
Key Ingredients: Clindamycin.
- Medicated Formula.
- Very effective in treating acne.
- Can be used as spot treatment also.
- Reasonable pricing.
- Not for everyday use.
Average Rating: 4.4/5
16. Aziderm 20% Cream:
Azelaic acid is a medicated ingredient that inhibits the growth of acne-causing bacteria. It declogs your pores and dissolves the debris inside the lesions. The Aziderm cream contains 20% of Azelaic acid to treat mild to moderate acne. It can also work on redness, inflammation and swelling of the skin caused by pimples. It is recommended to seek a doctor’s advice before using it.
Key Ingredients: Azelaic Acid 20%
- Medicated Formula.
- Not too harsh on the skin.
- Works well on acne.
- Not a cosmetic product.
- May dry out the skin.
Average Rating: 4.2/5
[Read: Best Antibiotics For Acne]
17. Benzac AC Gel:
It is a pimple medicated cream specialized in curing acne and pimple prone skin. Benzoyl is a substance usually present in creams or gels. It can cause skin irritation and drying of the skin. Benzac AC gel contains only 7% of benzoyl being perfect for anti-acne creams. It is used to cure mild to moderate acne. This face pimples removal gel absorbs excess oil and effectively kills the bacteria in the skin without excessively drying it out.
Key Ingredients: Benzac AC 2.5% Gel
- Medicated product.
- Clears Acne.
- May dry out the skin.
How To Use Anti-Pimple Creams?
Depending on the product and its purpose, the usage instructions vary from brand to brand.
- If it is a herbal or cosmetic cream, you can apply it twice per day on clean and dry face.
- Medicated products must be applied only on the affected areas and as instructed by the doctor
- Creams that contain Salicylic acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, etc. are not for long term use, as they can dry out your skin.
- If symptoms persist even after 3-4 weeks of application or condition aggravates, discontinue the product and seek a doctor’s advice.
Additional Tips On How To Prevent Pimples:
Prevention is always better than cure! Don’t you agree? If your skin is highly prone to breakouts, it seems something is wrong! Follow these tips to lower the frequency of this condition and thereby, reducing the dependency on external creams:
- Wash your face twice daily with a mild foaming cleanser
- Avoid harsh soaps that dry out your skin or cause abrasion
- Say no products that block skin pores. Buy oil-free creams and lotions that have the label “non-comedogenic”.
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen before stepping out in the sun. Choose a product designed for oily and acne-prone skin.
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated.
Those are some of the best Pimple creams available in India. Before buying a product, we recommend you to read the ingredient list and benefits to decide its suitability for your condition. Not every anti-acne cream works for everybody, and the results depend on the root cause and severity of the problem. If you have tried any of the above-mentioned products or want us to add more to this list, do let us know. We’d be happy to hear from you!
Disclaimer: None of the above-mentioned creams, lotions and gels are a substitute to a doctor’s prescription. You can only use them in case of mild and moderate acne/pimple conditions. Also, ratings are not from stylesatlife team, but a consolidated average user rating from online stores and influencer websites. The customer must take the complete onus to verify the suitability and safety of these products before trying them out.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
Q1. Is it true that Acne is caused due to lack of hygiene?
Ans: While personal hygiene has nothing to do with acne or pimples, debris and grime accumulated on the skin can contribute to the condition. These particles block the skin pores and lead to bacterial infections. This is why dermatologists recommend washing your face twice with a mild cleanser and keeping it dirt-free.
Q2. What is the first step of treatment for acne?
Ans: If you have mild or moderate acne, then it is always recommended to use herbal products or home remedies for pimples. These are safe for all skin types and won’t cause any side effects. If there is no improvement, then pick a cream that contains drying agents like Salicylic acid, which can clear up excess oil and also inhibit bacterial growth.
If symptoms persist, go for a medicated treatment prescribed by the doctor.
Q3. Does acne go away with these anti-acne creams?
Ans: It is difficult to say that topical applications are enough to treat acne! These creams only work on the peripheral acne, but do nothing to eliminate the root cause. You must always seek a doctor’s advice to identify the underlying problem and get the right course of treatment. These creams play a supportive role in healing acne, along with medications.