Do you always rate your quality of sleep as a “bad” one? Ever wondered what is keeping you awake all night long no matter how tired you get during the day? Well, you might want to blame it on the high caffeine intake, stressful office meetings, exams or prolonged gadget usage. Although they do contribute to sleeplessness, there is one important factor you are missing out – the direction of your sleep!
Yes! Sleeping in the wrong direction may be the root cause to all your sleep woes. So, the next question – what is the right direction to sleep?
To know the answer, you must first understand the concepts of sleep direction as per VastuShashtra and Fengshui. In this article, we shall take you through the basics of these theories to beat insomnia and get you sleeping well again!
Does Direction of Sleep Really Matter?:
You might scoff it off as mere superstition, but there is enough scientific evidence to prove that the direction in which you place your head while sleeping can affect sleep quality.
The earth has a magnetic field with four directions – North, South, east and west. Similarly, our bodies have an internal compass with the head pointing the North and the legs pointing south. So, when you position two equal poles in one direction, let’s say you sleep with your head pointing North, then we know that like poles repel! This is why you end up has agitating dreams and disturbed sleep.
Even our ancient Indian Vastu Shastra and Chinese Feng Shui also say that sleep directions can determine the positive and negative energies in our life, which play a key role in how we sleep. To channelize more positive energy, you need to follow certain principles of science like architectural changes in the case of Vastu Shastra and placing objects in space in Feng Shui.
What is the Best Sleeping Direction According to Vastu Shastra?:
Vastu Shastra is the traditional Indian “science of architecture”, which defines principles of arrangement, design and positioning of a structure. It works on the concept of balancing the four directions – North, west, east and south with the panchaboothas or five elements – earth, fire, water, air and space to create a harmonious and positive environment.
To know what vastu shastra tells about the ideal sleeping direction for you, let us understand the pros and cons of placing your head in individual directions:
Sleeping with Head in East:
We all know that the sun rises in the east! East symbolizes mental awakening and enlightenment, making it a good direction to sleep. Sleeping with the head facing east can be particularly beneficial to students and children, as the positive energies in this direction can improve concentration and memory power. These individuals tend to have better quality sleep, shorter REM cycles and lesser dreams.
Sleeping with Head in West:
As per the Vastu Shastra, West is associated with ambitiousness, zeal for success and high energy levels. Sleeping in the west direction can give you anxiety, restlessness and even nightmares. This is why many Vastu experts opine that the west is not an ideal sleeping direction and can impact your health in the long run. However, there are people who suggest west is a neutral direction which neither helps nor harms.
Sleeping with Head in South:
According to the ancient Hindu beliefs, South is the direction of Yama, the God of Death! In the context of sleep, one who sleeps like a corpse is the one who enjoys good health. So, South can be considered a good sleeping direction as it can promote deep, quality sleep without disturbing dreams. It is important to enjoy this ‘death-like’ sleep regularly for a healthy body and mind.
Sleeping with Head in North:
North is the worst direction to sleep in! From a scientific point of view, North is the positive pole of the earth magnet. In your body, the head is the positive pole. When you sleep with your head pointing to North, the magnetic fields repel and attract negative energies. This is why you tend to wake up feeling exhausted and cranky in the morning. So, avoid putting your head towards the North while sleeping at all costs!
Finally, Which is the Ideal Sleep Direction?:
As per Vastu Shastra, South and east are considered to be perfect sleep directions for all age groups. So, make sure the headboard of your bed faces these directions to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Benefits of Vastu Shastra Sleeping Directions:
If you adjust your sleeping position as per Vastu Shastra, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Invite positive energy into the body
- Reduced risk of hypertension, anxiety, depression and anger
- Quality, undisturbed sleep all through the night
- Shorter REM (Rapid Eye Moment) cycles and reduced dreams
- Better body and mind coordination
- Enhanced mental concentration and better flow of creativity
Why is North Not the Best Direction to Sleep?:
Well, there are two theories as to why North is not a suitable sleeping direction for anyone. One is the magnetic theory which is already explained in the previous section. The other theory comes from the ancient Hindu puranas, which strictly warn against sleeping in this direction.
According to Hinduism, North is the direction of Smasana or graveyard. It is believed that the soul escapes the body in this direction, which is why the head of the corpse is pointed towards North until the cremation happens. Now you know why your parents forbid you from sleeping towards North!
Only a few people like Yogis choose to sleep in the North to do astral travel and lucid dreaming, which can be very dangerous to the body.
Other Sleep Tips from VastuShashtra:
Let us look into some important sleeping tips from VastuShashtra:
- Always place the bed in the right direction to enjoy quality sleep. The headboard should point east or South, and the legs must point North or West.
- Couples must sleep on a single mattress than on divided mattresses to avoid their romantic life from getting disturbed.
- You must never sleep in the corners of the room, as it can cause suffocation and also invite negative energies into the body.
- If the room has a beam, avoid putting the bed directly under it as it may obstruct the flow of good luck and prosperity.
- Cluttering under the bed can cause sleeplessness and nightmares. So, declutter stuff and keep the space under your bed empty.
What is the Best Sleep Direction According to Feng-Shui?:
Feng-shui is an ancient Chinese science that focuses more on the elements in your sleeping space than on the physical directions.
So, the positioning of the bed is more important that the direction where your head points to.
According to Feng-shui, these are the best directions for placing your bed inorder to maximize the effects of Chi or energy flow:
- West: Offers contentment. However, beginners may find west to be a demotivating direction, as it fails to kick in the right amount of zeal.
- East: Invites a lot of positive energy. Youngsters find it particularly beneficial as the direction fills them with enthusiasm and excitement to learn new things.
- South East: Enhances communication and creativity.
- Southwest: Brings down anxiety and restlessness. Make you feel contented and at peace.
Other Sleep Tips from Feng-Shui:
Here are some important Feng-Shui sleeping tips:
You must always avoid sleeping in North, North East and South as it can disturb harmony and peace in your life.
- Place your bed diagonal to the bedroom door and never in a straight line.
- Never point your feet straight to the door as it is considered as a ‘coffin’ position.
- Rest the headboard of your bed against a solid wall
- Cut out the clutter from your bedroom and use minimal elements
- Ensure there is enough space on both sides of the bed
- Don’t place your bed on the other side of the toilet wall
So, put an end to your sleeping troubles by finding your best direction to sleep. You can also take the help of a Vastu or feng-shui expert to make simple and suitable changes to your bedroom to increase positivity. Most importantly, have faith in these principles to achieve the desired results. We hope you enjoy catching up on some deep sleep very soon!