Whoever said that Oily hair doesn’t need a conditioner must get their facts right! Even though you have greasy, oily strands, the ends always remain dry and undernourished. So, using hair conditioners for oily hair is as important as regular shampooing. However, not any conditioner will do the job for you! It’s important to choose a product that is specifically designed for your hair type and provides nourishment without weighing down your mane.
In this article, we have listed 4 Best Hair Conditioners for Oily Hair with the ingredient list, Pros & cons, Ratings etc. Read along to explore each of them in detail.
4 Best Hair Conditioners for Oily Hair in India, 2023:
Here are the 4 best-rated hair conditioners that are suitable for oily, greasy, thin and limp hair:
1. L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Conditioner:
The L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Conditioner is powered with the absorbing properties of pure clay. The product clears the excess oil from the roots and the hydrates the dry ends at the same time. It is specially designed to suit the tricky problem of the greasy scalp and dry strands. Isn’t that amazing? You can use it with the Extraordinary Clay shampoo to enjoy fresh and clean hair for up to 72 hours.
Key Ingredients: Kaolin Clay, Citric Acid, Magnesium Aluminium Silicates, Salicylic Acid, Glycerine etc.
- Makes hair soft and smooth without weighing it down
- Doesn’t leave a greasy feeling on the hair
- Light and soothing fragrance
- Controls oil secretion to an extent
- Affordable Pricing
- Makes it easy to detangle hair
- Not Paraben-Free
- Loaded with chemicals
[See More: Best Anti-Dandruff Conditioners]
2. Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Daily Purifying Shampoo and Conditioner for Oily Scalp:
The Biotique Green Apple Shampoo and Conditioner is a 2 in 1 product that cleanses and nourishes your hair at one go. This ayurvedic formula balances the pH levels of your scalp to keep oil secretion under control. It contains the goodness of botanical extracts of Green Apple, Reetha, Aloe vera, Sea Algae and Centella which can detoxify your scalp and nourish your hair with natural vitamins and minerals.
Key Ingredients: Apple Juice, Chinnai Ghas Plant, Manduk Parni Plant, Shikakai Pulp, Ghrit Kumari Juice, Badam Oil, Coconut Oil, Water etc.
- Gentle hair cleanser
- Effective in removing oil and dirt from scalp
- Makes your hair fresh and clean
- Lathers well
- Reasonable pricing
- May dry out hair for combination scalps.
3. Wella Professionals Elements Lightweight Renewing Conditioner:
Wella Professional Elements Lightweight Conditioner is designed to hydrate your hair, without adding heaviness to it. The product helps in repairing dry and damaged strands to make them smooth and nourished. It contains an advanced NuTREE complex that works like a protective barrier to prevent Keratin degeneration. The best part? It contains Zero Parabens!
Key Ingredients: Fractious Excelsior Wood Extract, Lactic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Creatine, Perfume, Citric Acid Etc.
- Lightweight formula
- Softens hair
- Doesn’t flatten out the hair
- Adds bounciness
- Zero Parabens
- Doesn’t work for controlling oil in the scalp
[Read More: Top 10 Wella Conditioners]
4. Herbal Essences Bio: Renew Lightweight Shine Cucumber and Green Tea Conditioner:
The Herbal Essences Bio: Renew Conditioner is a lightweight formula infused with Cucumber and Green Tea. It works well for oily hair types by smoothening the mane without adding weight. The product contains water-based hydrating ingredients like Aloe, Sea Kelp and antioxidants to purify and protect your hair. You can also enjoy a spa-like experience with its multi-layered botanical scents!
Key Ingredients: Cucumber Extract, Green Tea, Aloe Vera, Sea Kelp etc.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Lightweight formula
- Doesn’t make your scalp greasy
- Soothing fragrance
- Zero Parabens, Colorants
- Suitable for colour-treated hair as well
- Not very effective in taming Frizz
How to Use A Conditioner For Oily Hair?
Along with buying the right product for your hair type, it is also important to use it in the right way for effective results. Here are some of the best practices to follow while using a conditioner for the oily and greasy scalp:
- Avoid applying the conditioner all over the hair, especially the roots and scalp
- Instead, focus on the dry areas, like the midsection and the ends
- Leave it on for 2-3 minutes
- Rinse out the product thoroughly with water to avoid residues
- Towel dry your hair
Tips To Maintain Oily Hair and Scalp:
Here are some additional tips which can help in maintaining your oily scalp:
- Wash your hair atleast thrice a week with a mild cleanser
- Avoid using products that add weight to your hair. Choose the ones designed for oily and greasy hair type.
- Follow your shampoo wash with a lightweight conditioner
- Say no to serums or other leave-in conditioners which can worsen the condition
- Do not brush your hair too often, as the bristles can activate your sebaceous glands
- Avoid using dry shampoos too often, as they can damage your hair in the long run
We hope this article has helped you understand about the importance of hair conditioners for oily hair. Choose a product that complements well with your shampoo and also caters to the specific needs of your hair. So, have you tried any of the products listed here? If yes, do share your experiences with us!
[See More: Best Shampoos for Oily Hair]
DISCLAIMER: The article is written purely for the informational purpose(s) only. We do not endorse or are affiliated to any of the brands mentioned above. However, we do earn a small commission if you buy the product through our website. You must use these products at your own risk, and we do not undertake any responsibility for any damages occurred in connection with them.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Why is my hair limp and oily after using a conditioner?
Ans: Most conditioners are designed for dry and normal hair. So, they contain heavy emollients and moisturizing agents like nut butters. These creamy conditioners over condition your already oily hair and weigh it down. This is why you must go for a lightweight conditioner that uses water-based hydrating agents like aloe vera instead of heavy emollients.
Q2. Can I apply a conditioner to the roots?
Ans: No! Irrespective of your hair type, you must never put conditioner on the roots. Doing so can add a greasy layer to the scalp and give an oily feel to your strands from the time of a wash. Just leave one-inch gap from the roots and apply the conditioner from that point till the ends. Wash thoroughly with water to remove any product residue.
Q3. Is it safe to just wash your hair with a conditioner?
Ans: Most people prefer using a conditioner to wash and condition their hair, without using a shampoo. This process is called Co-Washing. While conditioners are usually gentle on hair and can cleanse out the dirt from your strands, they are quite heavy on the scalp. Conditioners leave a residue on the scalp which can block your pores and lead to hair fall.