Putting on makeup is an exciting task, but removing it can be quite tedious. You must make sure to remove every trace of the products used and make sure your face is squeaky clean before hitting the bed. What if you don’t do that? You will end up look like a zombie with smudges all over your face in the morning, along with increased chances of acne, blemishes and greasiness. What you need are some best makeup removers which can simplify this task and work like magic erasers!
But, how do you choose the right one? Every brand claims that their product is a “winner” and a “must-try”! To simplify matters for you, we have curated a list of 20 Best Products to Remove Makeup, with detailed information about pros & cons, ingredients and ratings.
20 Best Makeup Removers, 2021:
Read along to know the 20 best-rated and most popular makeup removing products in the international market:
1. Neutrogena Oil-Free Liquid Eye Makeup Remover:
Neutrogena is one of the best drugstore makeup removers, which is an effective and gentle product that can take off even stubborn eye-makeup without damaging the skin. Infused with soothing aloe and cucumber extracts, the dual-phase, oil-free liquid is suitable for usage around the eye area and even on sensitive skin. With just one or two swipes of this liquid on a cotton ball, you can be assured of a clean and smudge-free face.
Key Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Poloxamer 182, Allantoin, Tripotassium Edta, Benzalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate.
- Comes in a sleek, attractive bottle.
- Contains natural extracts.
- Leaves a fresh feeling.
- Safe for contact lens wearers.
- Doesn’t cause any allergies on sensitive skin.
- Removes makeup effectively.
- Mild Scent.
- Not quite “oil-free” as the product claims to be.
- Leaves a trace of oily layer on the skin.
- Requires additional swiping for water-proof mascara.
2. Bioderma – Hydrabio H2O – Micellar Water:
The Bioderma – Hydrabio H20 Micellar Water is a good moisturizing makeup remover for dry and sensitive skin. Along with gently removing makeup and impurities from the skin, the product also tends to dehydration and dryness. It is formulated with Aquageniumpatent natural complex which can improve the skin’s natural ability to moisturize. Additionally, it contains fatty acid ester micelles which soothe your skin. The product also contains no alcohol or parabens which dry out skin or damage the cells.
Key Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Peg-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Polysorbate 20, Mannitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructooligosaccharides, Niacinamide, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Propylene Glycol, Hexyldecanol, Disodium Edta, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Fragrance (Parfum)
- Light soothing scent.
- Cleanses well.
- Softens skin
- Doesn’t dry out the skin.
- Doesn’t leave any traces of makeup.
- Doesn’t burn skin.
- The product contains xylitol which may not suit some people.
3. Cetaphil Gentle Waterproof Makeup Remover:
Cetaphil is the best waterproof eye makeup remover cleanser that effectively removes makeup, dirt and impurities from the skin. It contains the goodness of aloe vera and other botanicals like ginseng and green tea which soothe and nourish your skin. The dermatologist and the ophthalmologist-test formula is suitable for sensitive skin types and works well for removing stubborn eye makeup. The product is also non-comedogenic and fragrance-free.
Key Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dipropylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea), Glycerin, Potassium Phosphate etc.
- Affordable pricing.
- Doesn’t sting or hurt your eyes.
- Gets rid of waterproof eyeliner and mascara easily.
- Doesn’t leave any residue on the skin.
- Doesn’t dry out the skin.
- Little quantity is enough to clean the whole face.
- Open-end bottle makes it difficult to control the amount of product.
4. Drunk Elephant Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser:
If you are looking for a good makeup cleanser, then try this product from Drunk Elephant. The jelly-based face wash and makeup remover removes every trace of makeup and dirt from your skin. It also maintains a healthy pH of 6.1 along with protecting the natural barrier of your skin. Additionally, the product is free from nasty chemicals which damage your skin and even your healthy. It is also a cruelty-free and non-irritating formula.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Methyl Oleoyl Taurate, Propanediol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Glycolipids, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Lauryl Glucoside, Cucumis Melo Cantalupensis Fruit Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tocopherol, Citric Acid.
- Doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.
- Free from SLS, essential oils and other irritants.
- Melts makeup really fast.
- Leaves face fresh and product-free.
- Doesn’t irritate the eyes.
- A small amount is enough for the face.
- Cap is delicate and leaks.
- May dry out the face.
5. BANILA CO NEW Clean It Zero Original Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover:
Take a look at this best Korean makeup cleansing balm from BANILA CO which works like magic on your skin! It is formulated to quickly melt away even the most stubborn makeup on your face and speed up your cleansing process. The product is infused with active botanicals, hot springs water, Vitamin E and Vitamin C which help in cleaning up your skin and rendering a healthy complexion. Additionally, it is also free from harmful chemicals and is safe for sensitive skin also.
Key Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Synthetic Wax, Onsen-Sui, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lithospermum Erythrorhizon Root Extract, Fragrance, Ethylhexylglycerin, Water, 1,2-Hexanediol, Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem Extract etc.
- Free from Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates, Mineral oil, Alcohol, Artificial coloring.
- Doesn’t cause any irritation or rashes.
- Mild fragrance.
- It can be used as a double cleanser.
- Quick and effective in removing waterproof makeup also.
- A small amount is enough.
- Melts quickly in your palms.
- Oily skin people may have to use a cleanser to get rid of the oily residue.
6. Solimo Eye Makeup Remover:
Solimo is a brand of Amazon which offers the best eye makeup remover at a throw away price. The product is specially designed to get rid of stubborn waterproof eyeliners, mascara and kajal without damaging your eyes. Since it is tested by dermatologists and opthalmologists, there is no need to worry about any side effects. It comes as a liquid form in a bottle at a throw-away price that is too good to resist!
Key Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) Fruit Extract etc.
- Economically priced.
- Easy to use.
- Oil-free formula.
- Effective in removing water-proof makeup.
- Doesn’t cause side effects.
- It suits even sensitive skin.
- Neutral smell.
- The top is completely open which can cause product spilling.
7. Almay Oil-Free Gentle Eye Makeup Remover Pads with Aloe:
The Almay Oil-free Gentle Eye Makeup Remover pads allow you to get rid of stubborn makeup on-the-go! The little circular pads are soaked in a botanical blend of aloe, cucumber and green tea to remove every trace of makeup and impurities on eyes and skin. They are quite soft and do not cause any redness or rashes. Plus, the hypoallergenic formula ensures there are no side effects to your sensitive skin.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, Green Tea, Vitamin B5, Cucumber.
- Soft cotton pads that are bio-degradable.
- It won’t cause any rashes or pulling of the skin.
- Draws out makeup quickly.
- No need to rub too hard to clean the skin.
- Contains Alcohol.
- It leaves an oily residue on the skin.
8. Pond’s Vitamin Micellar Wipes for Dry Skin:
If you are looking for a convenient and mess-free option to remove makeup, try these Micellar makeup removing wipes from Ponds. The wipes are infused with the goodness of Aloe vera and Vitamin B3 to gently remove makeup while addressing the problems of dry skin. Along with surface-level makeup, the wipes can also remove dirt, bacteria and impurities. These towelettes are gentle for everyday use and don’t need harsh rubbing.
Key Ingredients: Micellar-water, Vitamin b3, Alcohol, Aloe vera.
- Contains micellar water.
- Travel-friendly wipes.
- Soft wipes with no abrasive effect.
- It makes your skin look fresh instantly.
- Light smell.
- A single wipe is enough for the entire face and neck.
- The resealable pack loses its adhesive quickly and exposes the wipes to air.
9. Burt’s Bees Eye Makeup Remover Pads:
Burt’s Bee is a popular American brand that offers a wide variety of skincare products. This bottle of eye makeup remover pads are designed to remove stubborn makeup from the corners of eyes and lashes effectively. The moisturizing pads are infused with Kiwi extract to gently cleanse and hydrate the skin. The bottle is easy to carry in a bag and ideal for usage at home or during travel.
Key Ingredients: Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Water, Pentylene Glycol, Glycerin, Lactic Acid.
- Doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- It won’t cause any rashes.
- Non-irritating formula.
- Designed in a circular shape for better handling.
- Pads don’t shred or leave traces on the skin.
- Pads are semi-dry and not completely moist.
- Not effective on waterproof makeup.
[See More: Best Nail Polish Removers]
10. The Quick Flick – Quick Fix Makeup Eraser Pen:
Take a look at this innovative product which can erase eyeliners, lipstick and mascara mishaps in just one stroke. The eraser pen contains micellar water to remove even waterproof makeup. All you need to do is to use the tip of the pen and gently draw it on the area to suck in the makeup. It is an ideal pick for those last-minute rushed-up moments and shaky hands. The handy pen can be put in your bag or even your purse.
Key Ingredients: Micellar Water, Plant Extracts.
- Convenient option to erase eye or lip makeup smudges.
- Works well for waterproof makeup.
- Sleek and stylish design.
- Ideal for travel and office purposes.
- Contains no toxic ingredients.
- Not very useful for removing face makeup.
11. The Original Makeup Eraser:
This reusable makeup removing cloth saves you tons of money and the guilt of throwing away too many disposable wipes. The original makeup eraser is made with 100% polyester and quite soft to touch. Just wet it with some water and use it like a towel on your skin to remove every trace of makeup with ease. The cloth can also used around the eye area, lips and works great on water-proof makeup as well.
Material: 100% polyester fabric.
- Affordable and reusable.
- Super soft fabric.
- Requires no additional products.
- Suitable for sensitive skin also.
- No added chemicals.
- Easy to carry and use.
- It can leave some traces of fibers on the skin when used for the first time.
- It May not be very effective on waterproof mascara.
12. Bliss Makeup Melt Jelly Cleanser:
Bliss’s super-gentle makeup remover is an amazingly effective product to remove stubborn makeup without damaging your skin. The milky, jelly consistency formula can balance the skin’s oils and remove impurities from deep within the pores. It contains the goodness of soothing rose flower and Vitamin b5 to protect the skin’s barrier and replenish the moisture levels. You can use it as a dry or wet cleanser, depending on your need.
Key Ingredients: Chamomilla Recutita(Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavender) Oil, Helianthus Annuus(Sunflower) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja(Soybean) Oil, Allantoin, Sodium CocoylApple Amino Acids etc.
- Gentle and safe product.
- Doesn’t irritate the skin.
- Pleasing rose scent.
- Skin feels soft after using.
- Quantity goes a long way.
- Wet/dry usage.
- It needs to be followed by a facial cleanser to remove traces.
13. Christian Dior Hydra Life Oil To Milk – Makeup Removing Cleanser:
Here is a high-end makeup cleanser and remover from Christian Dior which can change your cleansing ritual. The oil, when mixed with the water turned into a rich, milky emulsion. Along with melting the makeup, the product also nourishes your skin, thanks to the sweet almond oil present in it. This remover works well to free your skin of all makeup traces and impurities even from the corners of your eye.
Key Ingredients: Sweet Almond Oil, Saponins.
- Softens Skin.
- Melts makeup quickly.
- Works even on waterproof makeup.
- Doesn’t make skin greasy or oily.
- Nourishes skin.
14. L’Occitane Cleansing Milk Facial Makeup Remover:
L’Occitane Cleansing Milk facial makeup remover is designed to effectively remove even the most stubborn makeup and impurities from the deep pores of your skin. The formula contains extracts of fig and honey sources from Provence and its silky smooth texture can leave your skin feeling quite soft and comfortable. It is suitable for all skin types and doesn’t cause any allergic reactions on sensitive skin as well.
Key Ingredients: Mel/Honey, Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, ButyrospermumParkii (Shea) Butter Extract, ButyrospermumParkii (Shea) Butter, Cetyl Alcohol etc.
- Has a sweet scent.
- Lotion-like texture.
- Gentle face wash.
- It can be used as a daily facial cleanser.
- Moisturizes skin.
- The pump is delicate and breaks easily.
15. KLAIRS Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil:
This mild cleansing oil is designed to effectively clean your skin gently and remove every single trace of foundation and waterproof makeup. The product is a unique blend of different vegetable oils like black bean oil, black sesame oil, black currant seed oil etc. which nourish your skin and make it healthy. This best makeup removing oil is free from chemicals and contains only natural ingredients for effective skincare.
Key Ingredients: Black Bean Oil, Black Sesame Oil, Black Currant Seed Oil.
- Contains no nasty chemicals.
- Vegan and cruelty-free product.
- Free from Ethanol, parabens, steroids, colors etc.
- No artificial fragrance.
- pH balancing formula.
- Removes makeup without drying out the skin.
- The oil can be slightly difficult to wash off.
16. Aveeno Ultra-Calming Makeup Removing Facial Cleansing Wipes:
The Aveena Ultra-Calming wipes are one of the best makeup remover pads for sensitive skin. Each disposable wipe is soaked in a special formula of chamomile and feverfew which calms down your skin. The non-comedogenic and oil-free wipes lift away the makeup and dirt without blocking the pores. Along with wiping even the most stubborn eye makeup, the product also reduces redness and rashes.
Key Ingredients: Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Flower/Leaf/Stem Juice, IodopropynylButylcarbamate, Glycerin, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract.
- Resealable pouch.
- Can be carried in a bag.
- Doesn’t require any hard rubbing.
- One wipe is enough to remove the entire makeup.
- Wipes have good moisture.
- The sticker on the pouch loses its gum and makes it difficult to re-seal.
17. Biore J-Beauty Cleansing Oil Makeup Removing Cloths:
Check out this revolutionary makeup-removing cloth from Biore, which is a popular Japanese brand. The wipes are infused with a skin conditioning essence that can remove makeup and replenish skin’s moisture. They are quite gentle on the skin and work effectively even to remove the most stubbon water-proof mascara. Each pack comes with 44 pre-moistened cloths which can be disposed after every use.
Key Ingredients: hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Peg-12 Laurate, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben.
- Enough moisture to wipe the face.
- One wipe can do the job quite well.
- Takes off makeup and mascara.
- Doesn’t irritate the skin.
- Smooth texture.
- The size of the wipes is quite small.
- Contains parabens.
- It may leave an oily residue on the skin.
18. Clinique Women’s Take The Day Off Make-Up Remover:
Clinique Women’s Take the Day Off is a liquid-based makeup remover which is designed specially for sensitive areas of the face like lids, lashes and lips. The super-hydrating formula gently lifts the dirt, impurities and makeup from the skin and keep it moisturized. You can soak a cotton ball in the solution and gently swipe your face to keep it spotlessly clean.
Key Ingredients: Sodium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Edta, Phenoxyethanol.
- Can remove even waterproof makeup.
- Doesn’t irritate or sting.
- Comes in different sized bottles.
- Doesn’t dry out the skin.
- It doesn’t make skin greasy.
- Contains Ethanol.
19. JUNO & Co. Clean 10 Cleansing Balm:
If you are a fan of Japanese beauty brands, then this makeup removing cleansing balm is a must-try! Formulated with just 10 ingredients, the Juno skin clean 10 balms can melt away even the most stubborn makeup and impurities. Pearl Barley, which is the hero ingredient of this product, can nourish your skin and give it a healthy glow. With regular use, the product also claims to even out your skin tone, reduce blemishes and dark spots.
Key Ingredients: Pearl Barley, Tocopherol Acetate, Orange Peel Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride etc.
- Little product is enough for one-time use.
- Removes makeup and product build-up effectively.
- Smooth, buttery texture.
- Dissolves impurities quickly.
- Doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.
- Removes even eye makeup.
- Nice citrusy scent.
- Requires additional water cleanse to remove the grease
20. Julep Love Your Bare Face Detoxifying Cleansing Balm Stick:
Take a look at this product which lets you cleanse your skin anywhere, anytime using very little water. The unique detoxifying cleansing stick is infused with coconut oil, grapefruit oil, rice bran oil etc., to gently melt away the makeup and leave your skin looking clean and nourished. The natural blend of oils and fruit enzymes also give you a healthy glow. The best part is that you can carry it in your bag or purse without the need for too many products.
Key Ingredients: Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, camellia japonica (Tsubaki) seed oil, rosa Canina (rosehip) fruit oil, citrus paradisi (grapefruit) seed oil, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, tetrasodium EDTA, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, lactobacillus/punica granatum (pomegranate) fruit ferment extract, leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate, camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, hydrolyzed extension.
- Easy to use.
- Effective in cleansing the face.
- Removes foundation and eye makeup.
- No harsh chemicals.
- Reasonable pricing.
- Not suitable for oily or combination skin people.
How to Choose the Best Makeup Remover?
If you wear makeup regularly, then investing on the “right” makeup remover or cleanser is a must to get rid of product residue and prevent skin damage. Here are some tips that will help you choose the best product for your skin type:
- If you have dry skin, look for oil or cream-based balms/ cleansers which nourish and hydrate your skin along with removing the makeup.
- Oily or Combination skin people can try water-based and oil-free cleansers which do not leave any greasy residue on the face
- Sensitive skin people can go with calming balms and soft wipes that do not pull the skin or irritate it. Also, make sure that the formula is “hypoallergenic.”
- It is always better to choose products that are free from parabens, alcohol and other chemicals which strip away the natural oils from your skin.
- To remove eye-makeup, make sure that you use only products that are safe for usage on the eyes and are labelled as “ophthalmologist-tested”.
- Reusable makeup removers like cloths and pads are ideal for those who want to remove makeup with less wastage.
Benefits of Using Makeup Removers:
Here are some of the key benefits of using makeup removing products:
- Get rid of makeup from the skin to prevent damage like acne, pore-clogging, dullness and aging.
- Renews skin and allow it “breathe” again.
- Exfoliate dead cells and minimize the formation of blackheads, whiteheads etc.
- Prevent product build-up on the skin which can ruin its health in the long run.
- Stimulate better blood circulation during the cleansing process.
- Nourish your skin and add a healthy complexion.
Those are some of the best makeup removers to look out for in 2021. Depending on your convenience, you can try different varieties of these products like sticks, pads, cloths, cleansers, pens etc. to get a squeaky clean skin. Have you tried any of these cleansers or removers before? If yes, what are your reviews?
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Are makeup removers safe on sensitive skin?
Ans: Yes! Even sensitive skin people can use makeup removers to get rid of the products from their face. However, not every makeup remover will suit this skin type. It is better to look for those which specially mention “suitable for sensitive skin” and look for the ingredient list. Stay away from products that contain alcohol or other harsh chemicals.
Q2. Should I wash my face after using makeup removers?
Ans: Experts highly recommend the double-cleansing process to completely remove makeup and other unwanted products from the skin. First, you must use a makeup remover to wipe off the foundation, lipstick, eyeliner etc. Next, use a cleanser with water or just plain water to rinse your face for a fresh and residue-free skin.
Q3. Is it okay to use a cotton cloth and water to remove makeup?
Ans: Cotton cloth can be harsh on your skin and may leave cuts or bruises. Ideally, a polyster, a microfiber cloth is considered best for gentle wiping as it is a soft material. Water can only remove normal makeup. For waterproof ones, you must use an oil-based or a stronger formula instead.
Q4. What is micellar water?
Ans: Micellar water contains tiny oil molecules which work like dirt magnets. They attract makeup, impurities and debris from the skin with just one or two swipes. Some of the popular products in this segment are Garnier Micellar water, Pond’s Micellar Wipes and Bliss Micellar Water.
Q5. Why are alcohol-based makeup-removers bad for the skin?
Ans: Alcohol damages your skin’s natural barrier and removes essential elements like moisture, natural oils etc. It can severely dry out your skin and increases the risk of aging like wrinkles, sagging etc. So, most dermatologists suggest people with dry and sensitive skin to stay away from alcohol-based skin products.