Ahmedabad is the capital city of the state of Gujarat and well-known for the hospitality and the friendly nature of the people. It is also one of the big states and the first to be recognized by UNESCO for world heritage. You can enjoy a variety of foods available in restaurants and stalls present around. Your mouth starts watering with the aroma comes out of the stalls serving a wide range of sweets, snacks, etc. check out this article for the best street foods in Ahmedabad for you to try!
Best Street Foods in Ahmedabad, Gujarat:
- Jalebi and Fafda
- Mutton Chaap
- Gujrati Patra
- Pani Puri
- Methi Na Bhajiya
Here is a quick list of mouth-watering foods available on the streets of Ahmedabad, jot them down, and don’t forget to give them a try!
It is a steamed Gujarathi dish made from gram flour. The name comes from the shapelessness of the recipe resulting in an end product without much structure. By adding spices, onions, coriander, this snack is ready to eat and mostly served with sweet and spicy chutney. You can get this snack on any food stall all around Gujarat.
Anyone with knowledge of Gujarati cuisine knows about Khandvi. It is a spicy snack, also known as patuli. This is a perfect breakfast food available fresh and hot on the streets of Ahmedabad. The primary ingredients are yogurt and gram flour, and many people also eat it as a starter. These are so soft that one you start you may not be able to stop!
Being in Gujrat and not eating Dabeli is a crime against street food! Two main ingredients in it are compressed pav and potatoes. Spices are added appropriately to the mashed potatoes and placed them inside the pav, making them taste tangy. Every stall has its personal touch to prepare this snack. Peanuts, pomegranate seeds, and sev are added and served with green chutney.
See More: Popular Street foods in Delhi
Jalebi and Fafda:
Although there are many desserts available on the streets, the combination of sweet jalebi and savory fafda is the one locals go crazy about. Some people are also served with fried papaya, also called sambhariyo. This combination is pretty popular during the festival of Dussehra.
See More: Hindu Temples In Ahmedabad
Eggs are another instantly available street food with a variety of options available in every stall. From soft boiled eggs and omelets with a choice of extra masala on the omelet is all you need to start an energetic day. Egg burji is also an option available, just pick a stall and start munching!
One of the best non-vegetarian dishes on the streets of Ahmedabad is Mutton chaap. Many of the non-vegetarian foods are available in the Muslim majority areas. Dahyabhai Parmar Road in Ahmedabad is one of the best places to eat all your favorite non-vegetarian options.
See More: Food Streets in Lahore
Patra is a delicious side snack available in the stalls that are yummy to try. The main ingredients for this shallow-fry or sometimes steamed bite gram flour, ginger chili paste, spices, and the central element is colocasia leaf. This is served hot with various chutneys that change with every stall. This is a refreshing change for your tastebuds.
Although you can get a packet of thepla anywhere in the world nowadays, for an authentic experience, the streets of Ahmedabad are the best option. These are typically prepared with wheat flour mixed with methi or sesame seeds. Freshly prepared thepla tastes best when served with pickles or curd.
See More: Tourist Places In Ahmedabad
The name pani puri brings water in anybody’s mouth, especially women. Some stalls sell pani puri individually or with chaat side by side. These stalls are available on every nook and corner of the city, satisfying your taste buds on the go!
Methi Na Bhajiya:
Unlike any other bhajiya recipes, these are prepared by chopping fenugreek leaves into small pieces and then added to the spiced up chickpea batter, and they fried forming balls. These are in the form of balls and not crispy, which is similar to vada pav. These are served hot with spicy and sour chutney.
Best Street Food Places in Ahmedabad:
- Manek Chowk, Bhatiyar Gali, Law garden, Baghdad fry center, Food truck are the few names out of the many areas that sell unusual and tasty street foods for you to try, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian.
- You can find stalls outside every railway station and bus stop with ready-to-eat food to eat on the go. There are some excellent restaurants too, such as Shri Annapurna chawana and sweet mart, Shankar bhojanalaya, Janata restaurant, to name few.
- There are affordable eateries around the one-kilometer distance from the airport for you to have a quick bite before you board the flight. Pooja bhaji pav at 0.9 km, Esteem restaurant at a distance of 1.2 km, to name a few.
- Mirch Masala is best known for North Indian food that has branches all around the city, the Veni Vichi garden restaurant for yummy Punjabi food. If you are from north India and feel homesick, you can visit these places.
- Lijjath Kaman at mani Nagar, Salim Bhai in sarkej, Karnavati palace from the Neel Kanth palace are some places you can get some Chinese food at a very affordable price. Though there are fine dining restaurants all over the city, they may plug a hole in your pocket.
- Kovallam near C G road, Balan dosa in Manek chowk, Dakshinayan near Gulmohar park mall are some of the places where you can find authentic south Indian food in the city of Ahmedabad.
- Breakfast is an essential part of your meal and decides how your day shapes up. You can find stalls on every nook and corner serving hot aromatic food to kick start your day. After a good night’s sleep, get refreshed, and pick a booth and have a hearty breakfast.
See More: Goa Street Foods list
Though the city of Ahmedabad is referred to as a vegetarian state, the number of meat-eaters are increasing day by day. With the list of the best street foods in Ahmedabad, you will never miss out on the food specialities in the city of Ahmedabad when you get a chance to visit. If you get a chance to try them, let us know how you felt and how did the food change your taste buds in the process.