Chandigarh, the capital of both Punjab and Haryana, incorporates cuisines from both the lands, making it incredibly unique and diverse. This city is known for its robust and friendly people, huge bungalows, fancy cars, and, most importantly, its mouth-watering street food. The people of Chandigarh are well-known foodies, known to indulge in a wide variety of good food. People visiting nearby regions often drop in to treat their taste buds to some great authentic Punjabi food.
List of 12 Famous and Exclusive Street Foods in Chandigarh:
Are you waiting to tickle those taste buds with spicy and delicious street food during your next visit to Chandigarh? Here we have listed some of the best varieties of street food in Chandigarh :
1. Chole Bhature:
It is a staple food in Punjab and northern India. It has feather soft puffed-up bhatura ( bread ) deep-fried in oil. The tasty part, however, is the chole, which is chickpeas gravy seasoned with a lot of ghee and spices. This lip-smacking dish is served with a side of salad and lime pickle usually.
2. Amritsari Kulcha:
Amritsari Kulcha is a Punjabi street food quite in demand. The kulcha is a fluffy bread stuffed with a variety of vegetables. It is usually served with spicy chickpeas gravy, popularly known as chole, which is also famous in Punjab. It is topped up with a generous dollop of cheese or butter, and definitely worth all the calories!
3. Rajma Chawal:
It is one of the favorite Punjabi dishes. This delicious spicy gravy with a serving of mildly spiced jeera rice will satisfy your food cravings. It is quite healthy and a wholesome meal on its own. It is yummy popular street food and fills your tummy for quite a reasonable price.
4. Sarson da saag and Makki di roti:
This is the classic traditional dish of Punjab. It consists of mildly spiced cornbread served with well-mashed curry made from mustard greens. It is the perfect combination, served with generous toppings of ghee or butter. This is one of the best enjoyed during winter.
See More: Popular Street Foods in Lucknow
Nothing says Punjabi more than paranthas !! North Indians are quite obsessed with their paranthas. It is quite versatile with many stuffings ranging from vegetables, potatoes, keema, chicken, and beef. It is usually enjoyed hot with pickles and a side of Makhan or butter.
6. Chicken Tikka:
Punjabis love their grills and tandoors, which is reflected in their love for tikkas. Chicken is marinated with several spices and grilled on hot charcoal. It is juicy and succulent, served with tangy chutneys and salad. Squeeze a wedge of lime onto it, and you are ready for a foodgasm !!
7. Paneer Tikka:
Paneer tikkas are the perfect tandoori vegetarian version for all the vegetarians out there. Cubes of paneer are grilled along with vegetables like onions, peppers, broccoli. It is served with a dash of mint chutney and is sure to tickle your taste buds.
The famous Punjabi lassi is nothing but thickened buttermilk prepared fresh. It has two variants, the sweet and salty ones, consumed according to taste. It is often garnished with fresh cream, lime, or mint and drank abundantly during summers to cool off.
See More: Food Streets in Bangalore
This is the perfect midnight snack for our college friends who are always low on cash. It has soft buns laden with a juicy vegetable or meat patty as the base. It can be stuffed with a wide variety of veggies, cheese, ham, lettuce, and is quite filling.
This Tibetan delicacy is enjoyed well by the people of Chandigarh. Momo is a steamed pastry filled with various vegetarian and non-vegetarian fillings. It is best enjoyed with spicy sauces like soy, chilly, and tomato. The fried version is also available in momos; however, people prefer the authentic steamed varieties more.
Almost every sector in Chandigarh has a market for street food, the main ones being, sector 15, sector 18, and sector 34. Food trucks and stalls serve a large variety of beverages and snacks at any time of the day in these places.
Best Food Streets in Chandigarh:
- Night Food Street is a joint close to the PGIMER campus, where street food is available throughout the night, like roti and dal, parathas, frankies, etc.
- Sector 11 is a posh area in Chandigarh with many PGs and hostels in the proximity. This is the reason why a wide variety of street food like bread omelets, chole bhature, samosas, paranthas are available here.
- Garg Chaat, Sector 23, is a famous eatery for chaat in Chandigarh. You can indulge in several chaat varieties like chaat pakodi, tikki, golgappe, etc.
- The rajma chawal in Bholey di Hattey and the kulche chole in Bansal Kulcha, Sector 16, are to die for !!
Chilli Chaats, Bombay Street, and Kulcha Town are a few eateries serving up good street food near to the railway station.
- There are quite a few street food options available in Zirakpur, which is near to the airport .
- If you wish to try good Chinese fast food in Chandigarh, then Sector 15 is the place to visit. Quite a few places like Raju’s Chinese Fast Food serve up delicious Chinese varieties.
- Indian coffee house is the perfect place of choice for all the south Indian food lovers in Chandigarh. It serves up all types of south Indian food, dosa, and vada being the favorites.
If Chandigarh is on your list of places to visit, do not forget to explore the plethora of lip-smacking cuisines it has to offer. With so many options available, you might want to plan a long holiday there to satisfy your holiday cravings! The next time you visit Chandigarh, do explore all the places mentioned above and share your food experiences with us !!