Have you ever thought about the potential health benefits of blueberries when you grab and bite into them? Yes! The delicious blueberries are nutrient-dense and have exceptional benefits for health, hair, and skin.
Until the 20th century, the cultivation of blueberries had not been discovered. These fruits were available in the jungles and forests of North America before their cultivation.
The blueberries have an amalgamation of sweet and sour tastes; these wonderous fruits are used in making many everyday food items such as toppings, jams, jellies, etc. Read on to know all the benefits in detail.
History of Blueberries:
Originating from North America, blueberries’ were primarily found in the wild and cultivated in parts of Europe and Asia. Their popularity reached worldwide after they were introduced to native America.
Cranberries are closely related to blueberries and cowberry, huckleberry, sparkleberry, farkleberry etc., are some of the other species in the blueberry family.
What is Blueberry?
Originally from the continent of North America, blueberries are small blue-sh purple fruits. These fruits are easy to add to your diet, whether in the form of fresh fruits or add them to your breakfast or sometimes in jams and jellies.
Types of Blueberries:
Blueberries are broadly classified into four types, they are:
- Highbush Blueberries
- Lowbush Blueberries
- Half-high Blueberries
- Rabbiteye Blueberries
Are Blueberries Good for Your Health?
Like many other berries, blueberries are power-packed with nutrients that are very beneficial for your body. It has vitamins K, C, and B, and minerals like iron, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus, along with a healthy dose of fiber, fats, and proteins.
You can incorporate blueberries into your diet in many ways reaping all the benefits it has to offer.
Read: Raspberry Health Benefits
Nutritional Value of Blueberries:
One Cup Of Fresh Blueberries Contains:
- Calories- 84.
- Cholesterol- g.
- Protein – 1.1 g.
- Fat – 0.49.
- Carbohydrates – 21.45.
- Dietttaaary fiber – 3.6 g.
- Total sugars – 14.74 g.
- Vitamin C – 24 % RDI.
- Vitamin B6 – 5 % RDI.
- K Vitamin – 36 % RDI.
- Calcium – 9 milligrams.
- Iron – 0.41 mg.
- Potassium – 114 mg.
- Magnesium – 9 mg.
- Phosphorous – 18 mg.
- Sodium – 1 mg.
- Zinc – 0.24 mg.
- Folate – 9 mg.
Benefits of Eating Blueberries for Skin, Hair and Health:
We present you with some of the best blueberries benefits for hair, skin, and health:
Health Benefits of Blueberries:
We present you with some of the best health benefits of blueberries:
1. Improves gut health:
Fiber plays an essential role in maintaining gut health. A single cup of blueberries contains almost 4 grams of fiber, making the fruit an excellent fiber source. Consumption of blueberries will support a healthy microbiome, thereby keeping your gut health in a good place. Therefore without further ado, add these delicious, versatile fruit into a balanced diet, and you can see the difference in your gut health and entire body (1).
2. High in antioxidants:
Blueberries have antioxidants like vitamins C, E, and A and antioxidant compounds like anthocyanin, ellagic acid, etc. The antioxidants present in blueberries protect your body from the effects of free radicals, thereby preventing many health issues.
When compared to all the common fruits and vegetables, blueberries have the highest antioxidant levels. Anthocyanins are one group of flavonoids added to the beneficial effects of these fruits (2).
How to Consume:
Consume blueberries thrice a week to reap the benefits of antioxidants.
3. Protects liver:
Blueberries protect your liver from oxidative stress and reduce inflammation since it is a rich source of antioxidants and anthocyanins. It may also reduce the risk of fibrosis protecting your liver from any damage. You can include blueberries in your diet and maintain your liver health naturally (3).
How to Consume:
Consumption of blueberries twice or thrice a week helps protect your liver.
4. Treats Diabetes:
Blueberries help regulate the sugar levels in your body since it has a low glycemic index. Blueberries are beneficial for people with health issues like insulin resistance and diabetes, according to studies. When consumed regularly, one cup of blueberries gives you a much-needed health boost since it has flavonoids.
How to Consume:
You can decrease the excess amounts of blood sugar levels by consuming three servings of blueberries and other fruits like apples, raisins, and grapes.
5. Reduces Cholesterol Levels:
High cholesterol levels can be very damaging to your entire body’s functioning, resulting in some health issues related to the heart. Blueberries help cells break down cholesterol since they contain a compound called pterostilbene (4).
How to Consume:
To keep a check on your cholesterol levels, a healthy intake of blueberry juice twice a week can be helpful.
6. Prevent Cancer:
Oxidation damage has been shown to have a direct link to cancer (5). The oxidation process produces free radicles that make malignant cells by causing damage to your DNA. Blueberry inhibits the damage caused by oxidation since it is a rich source of antioxidants.
Caution: The excessive consumption of antioxidant-rich food might cause a detrimental effect on your body since oxidation is a natural part of the process. Therefore to reap the benefits of blueberries, consume them in moderation.
7. Improve Heart Health:
Blueberries have a compound called anthocyanins attributed to improved cardiovascular health when consumed regularly (6). Anthocyanins reduce the possibility of a heart stroke by breaking down the cholesterol clogging your arteries and dilating blood capillaries (7).
How to Consume:
For a grown person, the consumption of blueberries twice or thrice a week can be enough.
8. Improve Brain Health:
Stress caused by the oxidation process in our body can affect brain function negatively. According to animal studies, blueberries have antioxidants that may affect your brain’s areas essential for intelligence (8). It leads to improvements in cell signalling by benefiting the ageing neurons.
According to some studies on adults, blueberries consumption has experienced brain function improvements where they initially had cognitive impairment (9).
How to Consume:
Drink juice or eat blueberry fruits directly.
9. Maintain Healthy Bones:
Blueberries are nutritious fruits with minerals essential for bone health, such as phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and Vitamin K. These minerals help build and maintain bone structure and strength when taken in adequate amounts.
The maintenance of bones and joints’ strength and elasticity are fulfilled by iron and zinc (10). There is a higher risk of bone fracture when your body has low amounts of vitamin K, But calcium absorption is improved when you consume an adequate amount of vitamin K (11).
How to Consume:
To prevent bone damage, one should eat 7-8 solid pieces of blueberries once in two/three days.
10. Blueberry Uses for Weight Loss:
Blueberries are low in calories and rich in fiber, making them an ideal snack choice for weight loss people. The soluble fiber in blueberries makes you feel complete for extended periods by slowing down the process of digestion. Therefore if you want to lose weight healthily, include blueberries in your diet instead of sugary foods.
11. Maintaining Blood Pressure Level:
Blueberries are free of sodium which is an essential factor in keeping high blood pressure at bay. Adequate intake of the minerals magnesium, potassium, and calcium seems to lower blood pressure. More diversified research is needed to confirm the effects of blueberries on blood pressure.
12. Soothe Inflammation:
Blueberries have many antioxidants like vitamins A and C that decrease and soothe inflammation in your body. Consumption of blueberries provides relief from joint pain, knee pain, or inflammatory diseases like arthritis, gouts, etc., with its anti-inflammatory properties (12).
13. Treat Urinary Tract Infection:
Blueberries have a large polymer-like molecular compound that is effective in providing relief from UTIs. These polymers prevent urinary tract infections by inhibiting the urinary tract’s lining’s inner walls with certain bacterial colonies like E.Coli. Blueberries provide comfort from UTIs with their antibiotic properties (13).
How to Consume:
Consuming blueberry juice can be an effective treatment to prevent UTIs.
14. Eye Care:
Blueberries have flavonoids called anthocyanins which improve binocular vision. The vasoactive properties of anthocyanins improve blood circulation and better vision by dilating the eye muscles’ blood capillaries (14). According to researchers, blueberries improve binocular vision significantly, yet they have a negligible impact on night vision.
Benefits Of Blueberries For Skin:
Blueberries have essential nutrients like vitamin C that can effectively treat skin issues and give you a glowing and bright surface.
15. Heals Wounds:
High levels of free radicles can be found in your body when your skin is damaged. Blueberries have high antioxidants and vitamins K and C that support wound healing efficiently (15). Damaged skin has free radicles that outnumber antioxidants which might cause inflammation or oxidative stress. Blueberries potentially speed up the healing process with their high antioxidant content (16).
Caution: Make sure not to apply blueberries directly on open cuts or burns since it may lead to infections.
16. May Help With Psoriasis and Eczema:
Some of the inflammatory conditions that cause discoloured and itchy patches, called psoriasis and eczema, have lower antioxidant levels (17). The antioxidants present in blueberries lower oxidative stress by reducing psoriasis and eczema flare-ups, although more thorough research is needed (18).
17. Fighting Acne:
Salicylic acid has a salt called salicylates present in a high concentration of salicylates present in blueberries. Salicylic acid is a commonly used ingredient in many beauty products that act against acne-causing bacteria. This is an effective treatment for acne since blueberries have this salt in high amounts (19).
How to Apply:
- Crush the blueberries, and add citrus juice and honey in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your face and let it stay for about 15 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your face.
- Using this remedy once a day is effective in reducing acne.
Blueberries have high amounts of antioxidants that prevent the damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin A and C and flavonoids are some of the primary antioxidants present in blueberries.
Blueberries prevent further damage to your skin by neutralizing free radicals with antioxidants and phytochemicals. It helps heal broken capillaries and strengthen blood vessels (20).
How to Apply:
- Take a bowl and add blueberry paste, yogurt, and honey. Mix them well.
- Apply the paste to your skin and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To avoid the signs of ageing, apply this paste before you take a bath.
19. Removal of Under Eye Darkness:
Dark circles or under-eye darkness is a common issue faced by many people irrespective of age. Vitamins A and C present in blueberries help you eliminate dark circles resulting in a glowing surface.
How to Apply:
- Soak a cotton ball in a small cup of blueberry juice and apply it to the dark areas under your eyes.
- Let it stay on top and under your eyelids for about 10 minutes. Wash your eyes with warm water.
- For effective results, use this remedy before going to bed.
20. Removal of Dry Skin:
Improper hydration is one of the causes of dry skin, and many people face this issue. The fiber and water content present in blueberries keeps your skin moisturized, keeping it plump and beautiful. The juice penetrates your skin that helps you deal with the roughness of your skin too.
21. Reduce Appearance of Spider Veins:
Spider veins give your skin an ageing effect which makes dilated blood vessels appear close to your skin. The weak vessels make your skin look splotchy. Blueberries reduce redness due to the loosened blood vessels by getting rid of the free radicles with antioxidants.
How to Apply:
- Steam blueberries and blends them thoroughly with yogurt.
- Apply the blueberry face mask to your face and let it stay for about 20 minutes.
- Use warm water to wash your face.
Read: Blackberry Benefits And Side Effects
Benefits Of Blueberries For Hair:
Along with many health and skin benefits, blueberries play an essential role in hair care.
22. Promotes Hair Growth:
Blueberries prevent hair loss and encourage hair growth with the chemical proanthocyanidins present in them (21). This chemical present in this wonderous fruit boost hair growth by stimulating the hair follicles efficiently.
How to Apply:
- Crush a pack of blueberries and add olive oil to it.
- Apply the mixture to the roots of your hair and let it stay for about 20 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your hair.
23. Prevention of Premature Greying:
Premature hair greying is an issue many of us face, irrespective of gender. The loss of hair pigments and keratin, hereditary problems, and deficiency in Vitamin B12 might be some of the reasons that cause premature greying of hair. Consuming blueberries regularly will help your hair retain its natural colour since it is a rich source of vitamin B12 (22).
How to Apply:
- Prepare a paste by grinding Blueberry and olive oil.
- Apply the paste to your hair evenly and let it stay for about 20 minutes.
- For effective results, use this remedy once a week before taking a bath.
Health Facts of Blueberries:
Here is a list of some of the health facts about blueberries:
- Blueberries help improve your daily stamina. It enables you to remember things better by keeping your memory sharp.
- It helps keep your digestive system in check, thereby maintaining your overall health.
- Blueberries have anti-ageing properties that are very effective in keeping your skin glowing and youthful.
- Blueberries give your hair a shining effect and improve your hair volume.
- It improves bone health, making them strong and rigid, according to research.
- Blueberries are an excellent addition to many dishes, which enhances their taste.
Healthy Blueberry Recipes:
Here is a list of some of the easy DIY blueberry recopies you can try:
1. Blueberry Popsicles:
- 1 ½ cup of fresh blueberries.
- 1 ½ tbsp of water.
- ¾ cup of coconut milk.
- 5 tbsp of maple syrup.
- ½ cup of almond milk.
- Popsicle moulds.
- Add blueberries, water, and three tbsp of maple syrup to a saucepan.
- Boil the contents till they form a thick syrup.
- Once the contents reach syrupy consistency, switch off the stove without mashing the blueberries.
- Take a small bowl and add two tbsp of maple syrup, almond milk, and coconut milk and whisk the contents thoroughly.
- Fill the coconut-almond milk mixture with a little over half of the popsicle mould.
- Add a spoonful of blueberry syrup to the mould.
- Place the moulds in the freezer for about four to five hours till the pops are solid.
2. Blueberry Oatmeal:
- Two cups of water.
- ¼ tbsp of cinnamon.
- Two tbsp of honey.
- 2/3 cup of oatmeal.
- 1/3 cup of blueberries.
- ½ cup of low-fat milk.
- Take a medium-sized pan and boil water in it.
- Add oatmeal, cinnamon, and honey to it.
- Mix it without forming lumps.
- Put the stove in simmer let the water get absorbed, cooking the oatmeal thoroughly.
- Now add milk and blueberries to the oatmeal.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for five minutes.
- Once you hear the blueberries pop and the oatmeal has a creamy consistency, switch off the stove.
3. Blueberry Smoothie:
- One cup of fresh blueberries.
- One cup of plain yogurt.
- ¾ cup of reduced-fat milk.
- Two tbsp of sugar.
- ½ tbsp of vanilla extract.
- 1/8 tbsp of nutmeg.
- Place the blueberries, milk, yogurt, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and sugar in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients thoroughly until you get a frothy mixture.
- Serve the smoothie fresh.
Blueberry Side Effects:
Excessive consumption of even a good thing will have its own set of adverse effects. The same stands true for consuming blueberries in excess. Here are some of the side effects it may cause:
- Intake of too many blueberries may cause dryness in your scalp.
- Constipation and uneasiness can be due to the high amounts of fiber in a blueberry. Therefore make sure you eat them in the quantities required.
- Salicylate is a compound found in large quantities in blueberries. It may cause sickness if you are allergic to this substance.
- Blueberries are filled with high amounts of Vitamin K. If you consume them in one go, it may cause breathing, digestion, and swallowing.
- Although blueberries can aid diabetic patients, consuming them in excess may lead to immediate collapse and seizure due to decreased blood sugar levels in quantity.
- Blueberries may not be suitable for people with stone food allergies.
- Pregnant ladies need to consult their doctor before consuming blueberries to ensure they don’t hamper their baby’s growth.
- Nursing mothers also need to avoid excess consumption of anything since it may cause both mother and child issues.
Read: Bilberry Benefits for Hair
Incredibly healthy and nutritious, blueberries offer benefits for health, skin, and hair. Consuming blueberries have numerous effects on several aspects of your body, such as boosting your heart health, brain function, etc. You can easily incorporate this wondrous fruit into your diet to reap all the benefits, either frozen or fresh. Don’t forget to let us know how this article has helped you!
Disclaimer: This article’s contents are for informational purposes only and not a replacement for medical advice. Although the information is accurate as per our knowledge, the website is not responsible for your body’s effects.
1. Is it safe to eat blueberries every day?
Ans: According to a few studies, a bowl of blueberries has several benefits, from boosting immunity to reducing the risk of diabetes. Consuming a small number of blueberries also prevents deficiencies and any metabolic syndrome by strengthening the metabolism.
2. How to choose blueberries for consumption?
Ans: Look for blueberries that are firm, plump, smooth-skinned, and dry when you want to buy them fresh. Although size doesn’t matter, make sure the berries have a deep purple-blue to a blue-black color with no stem or leaves and a silvery surface bloom.
3. How to store blueberries for future use?
Ans: You can consume frozen and thawed blueberries without having to worry about the loss of nutrients. When you are freezing blueberries for future use, make sure they are frozen individually and have movement when you shake the container. Blueberries last for a year when frozen and last about two weeks when refrigerated.