Among the various Indian dishes, there is one staple food that is cooked in most of the homes almost every day. Dal also known as pulses in English is the recipe we are talking about. One can use many different types of pulses for cooking dal curry, which is quite a requisite with cooked rice. People also consider eating dal curry with rotis. To extract the benefits of dal which is full of proteins, one can cook it in an interesting and spicy way to make it healthy and delicious.
For the benefit of the users who love to try new ideas, here is a recipe on how to prepare chana dal (a.k.a. Bengal gram) curry in an easy and mouth-watering way. Check it out and follow step by step to get successful results:
How To Make Chana Dal Recipe At Home:
For Chana Dal:
- 1 cup chana dal
- 3 cups water
- A pinch of Turmeric
- For Curry
- Tomatoes- 2
- Onions- ½ cup chopped
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic- 4-5 cloves
- Green Chilies- 1
- Cumin Seeds- ¾ teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder- ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Mango Powder- ½ teaspoon
- Hing- a pinch
- Ghee/Oil- 2 tablespoons
- Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoons
- Salt to Taste
- Coriander Leaves- fresh 2 teaspoons
See More: How To Prepare Masoor Dal
- Wash the chana dal well and let it soak for the next hour in clean water. This should then be boiled in the pressure cooker with water and turmeric until they are completely cooked.
- Now in a pan take the ghee and heat it properly before adding the cumin seeds. This should be
followed by chopped garlic till they have a brown tinge. This will add aroma and great flavour to the recipe.
- Add chopped onions and fry them till a light golden brown. This should be followed by tomatoes, green chilli and ginger and then fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the dry spices as mentioned in the ingredient list one by one and mix them well. This mixture should be cooked on low heat till the time it starts separating the ghee from the paste. This is a sign that the mixture has been cooked well. Now add the kasoori methi and cook for a few minutes before pouring the entire mixture on the boiled dal in the pressure cooker. Stir well to mix in all the ingredients.
See More: How To Make Dal Bati
- Simmer it for 5-10 minutes to thicken the dal to medium consistency. Make sure the dal is neither too thick nor too thin. This should be poured into a serving bowl and then garnished with chopped fresh coriander leaves and some pieces of ginger.
- Serve it hot with cooked rice or hot parathas for the best taste and experience.
Tips To Be Kept in Mind:
- The consistency of the dal can be made according to what you like. To make it thicker than it is, simmer it for a while and thin it down. Add a little water while cooking. This will give you just the right consistency that you want.
- Make sure that the dal is boiled properly. If not, it can greatly and negatively affect the taste of the recipe.
- A little bit of hing can be added to the dal to make it gluten-free.
- Have at least a bowl of this dal for nutritional benefits for the body.
See More: How To Make Dal Tadka
In conclusion, crafting the delectable Chana Dal dish at home is a delightful culinary journey that combines simplicity with rich flavours. By following this straightforward recipe, you can create a wholesome Indian delicacy that tantalizes your taste buds and nourishes your body.