There are many churches in Mysore. Popularly known as Karnataka’s ‘Cultural Capital,’ Mysore is a place that blends beautifully with the splendour of history and with the vivid vibration of traditions and culture that is reflected in the lives of its residents. Mysore Tourist Places has a variety of attractions to offer. Mysore City attracts tourists from all over the world over the years to see the splendour of Mysore City. Tourist attractions include sites, monuments, museums, forts, temples, mosques, churches, and zoos. Most Mysore churches have a history dated back to several hundreds of years, constructed during the king’s rule times. If you’re still looking out for the perfect destination for the weekend ahead, this virtual tour of Mysore’s favourite church places will close it in just one reading.
Best and Famous Churches in Mysore:
1. St. Philomena’s Church, Mysore:
St Philomena Church Mysore was built in 1956. This beautiful cathedral is one of India’s largest churches. It was built in Gothic style with beautiful stained glass windows and lofty towers. In the evening, the illuminated church is a lovely place not to miss. A priceless statue of a celebrated Greek saint in a German cathedral in the heart of India is how some described Mysore’s famous Cathedral of St. Philomena. Inspired by the Cologne Cathedral of Germany, this sizeable Neo-Gothic-style church was designed by Reverend Rene Feuge. Here are details about this famous Mysore church timings.
- Church Days: Open all days
- Mass Timings: St. Philomena Church Mysore mass timings are – Mon-Sat: 5.30 a.m., 6.15 a.m., 7 am, 6 p.m. While on Sundays St. Philomena church Mysore timings are: 5 a.m., 6 a.m., 7 a.m., 8 a.m., 9 am, 6 p.m.
- Location: Lourdes Nagar, Ashoka Road, Lashkar Mohalla Mysuru, Karnataka 570001.
- How to Reach: It is located in the heart of the city, 2 km from the Mysore Palace and 3 km from the main bus stand.
- Celebrations: Every year, an annual feast is held on August 11.
- Other Attractions near Church: Statue of Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar, Hijama Mysore, Mysore Palace (Amba Vilas).
Read: Beautiful Parks in Mysore
2. Infant Jesus Cathedral, Hinkal:
Religious sites often offer a glimpse of not only of the ancient artistic traditions that existed in the region but also of the ways within which the community gathered. Next in this list of churches in Mysore is the famous Infant Jesus Cathedral. One of these spectacles is the Infant Jesus Church in Mysore, owing to its existence to an initiative of the Syro-Malabar community’s Bishop Jacob Thoomkuzhy, one of the many affiliations recognised by the Catholic Church. You will realise that the central hall is shaped like an octagon once you walk inside the church.
- Church Days: Open all days
- Mass Timings: Monday to Wednesday: 6.45 a.m., Thursday to Saturday: 6 p.m., Sunday: 8 a.m., 11 a.m.
- Location: Vijayanagar 4th Stage, Hinkal, Mysuru, Karnataka 570017
- How to Reach: Public transportation facilities are available to reach here
- Celebrations: Annual feast is celebrated from January 6-14
- Other Attractions Near Church: Yoga Narasimha Temple, Kalamma Temple.
3. St. Anthony’s Church and Shrine, Dornahalli:
Here is the next magnificent one in Mysore churches list. St. Anthony’s Shrine Dornahalli origins can be traced back to the discovery of St. Anthony’s 13-and-a-half-foot-high statue near where it stands today. It is said that St. Anthony of Padua, known as the Miracle Worker, performed miraculous healing and prosperity achievements. St. Anthony’s Shrine premises in Dornahalli are filled with beautiful attractions for both the ardent devotee and the curious traveller. Some of these include the Perpetual Adoration Chapel, a stall offering, among other things, bracelets, rosaries, Holy water, key chains, and the full range of animals and birds that the clergy is raising.
- Church Days: Open all days
- Mass Timings: Sundays -6.30 a.m., 10 a.m., 12 p.m., Weekdays -6.30 a.m., Tuesdays -6.30 a.m., 11 a.m.
- Location: Dornahalli Post, K. R. Nagar Taluk, Mysore District – 571 602
- How to Reach: There are no direct buses to this place, exactly 165 km from the Mysore road satellite bus stand area so that you can go by car.
- Celebrations: Annual feast is celebrated on June 13
- Other Attractions Near Church: Anjaneya Devaru Temple.
Read: Popular Temples In and Around Mysore
4. St. Bartholomew’s Cathedral, Nilgiri Road:
St. Bartholomew’s Church of Mysore is one of Mysore’s oldest churches and was established to serve the European officers’ Christian congregation under the service of Mysore Maharaja and Mysore’s British resident. Krishnaraja Wadiyar III (1799-1868) gave the land for the church and continued to be patronised by Mysore’s successive Wadiyar rulers. The church of St. Bartholomew is famous for its beautiful marble altar. Apart from being Mysore’s oldest church, the cathedral is also famous for the people who visited it, including the 19th century reigning Governor-General of India, Lord William Bentinck, King George V, Edward VIII, and Lady Wellington.
- Church Days: All days open
- Mass Timings: Sundays- 8 a.m.
- Location: Bangalore Nilgiri Road, Lashkar Mohalla, Mandi Mohalla, Mysuru, Karnataka 570001
- How to Reach: From any part of Mysore, St. Bartholomew’s Church can be easily reached by hired taxis and car rickshaws.
- Celebrations: Christmas is celebrated with great enthusiasm
- Other Attractions Near Church: Mysore Zoo, Mysore Palace.
5. CSI Wesley Cathedral, Doora:
The members of the Wesleyan Missionaries Society built this 148-year-old cathedral. Rev John Hachian, who arrived in India in 1821 intending to spread Christianity, is the person responsible for initiating its construction. The Wesley Cathedral is a familiar yet spellbinding sight, embodying all the quintessential elements of a church, including the towering bell-crowned steeple, yawning arches, and thatched roofs. The hills and meadows around it make it one of Mysore’s best places to visit. Here are these grand Mysore church photos.
- Church Days: Open all days.
- Mass Timings: 7 a.m. every day
- Location: 34/A, Bangalore Nilgiri Road, Doora, Mysuru, Karnataka- 570001
- How to Reach: Public transport facilities are available, it is near KSRTC Bus Terminal.
- Celebrations: Christmas is celebrated with great joy here.
- Other Attractions Near Church: Saint Philomena church Mysore, Mysore Zoo, Melody World Wax Museum.
There are a few top Mysore churches in this article, but there are others that people should visit too. Do you think there are any other churches that people should visit? How about the mosques or temples? In the comment section, please feel free to add a cathedral or mosque of your choice to tell us how and what Mysore famous church you liked the best.
Read: Must Visit Places in Mysore
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Where is St. Philomena From?
Ans: St. Philomena belongs to Corfu Island, Greece.
Q2. What’s Special About Mysore?
Ans: Mysore is famous for its shopping: Sweets, Sandalwood, Silk, etc. The name Mysore brings to one’s mind the image of a royal foundation. One of the famous tourist destinations in South India, Mysore is known for its royal heritage and beautiful buildings and monuments.
Q3. What is Mysore’s Best Time to Visit?
Ans: Mysore certainly has a tropical climate, but the monsoon and winter are the city’s best seasons to visit. The monsoon- winter (July-February) months has pleasant weather as a respite from summer’s intense heat. With these months, the beauty of the city is captivating; summer is less suitable for sightseeing and travel.