Clove is an aromatic , food flavoring spice which is used abundantly in Indian food preparations. It has several medicinal uses as well , but you may be doubtful about its usage during pregnancy. There is no harm in occasionally consuming cloves while pregnant , but make sure you do not over indulge in this spice. It always helps to consult your doctor for the right advice beforehand though.
Pregnancy is obviously an extra-cautious time for all mothers, who want nothing half as much as to keep their baby’s health safeguarded. So, if you have just gulped down a handful of those cloves and now frantically looking for some help over the internet, don’t panic! If you want more information about how dangerous it could be for your trimester, your pregnancy and your to-be born, you’ve hit a click on the right article.
Benefits Of Cloves During Pregnancy:
Cloves are known to have numerous health benefits during pregnancy. A few of the most important ones are listed below. (1)
1. Cloves are high in antioxidants , which strengthen the body repair system and increase immunity to prevent infections during pregnancy.
2. There are a lot of minerals in cloves like manganese, sodium, calcium and finally, phosphorus. Your unborn baby’s healthy development is most certainly given the leap it needs by these supplements.
3. The next best thing about cloves is the high dietary fibre it contains. The high fibre content in cloves helps in battling bowel issues like indigestion and constipation, which are extremely common during pregnancy. So, make it a practice to include clove every now and then to the food that you eat.
4. To eliminate the troubles of cold, fever and flu, ancient medicine from time immemorial has been adding clove to the dishes.
5. Joint ache and swelling are equally common during pregnancy and to your delight, the flavonoids found in cloves act as a great source of anti-inflammatory agents.
6. Cloves contain omega 3 fatty acids in abundance which is essential in promoting the healthy development of the baby’s nervous system.
7. Cloves also contain small amounts of vitamin E and K .
Side Effects Of Cloves During Pregnancy:
Consumption of clove powder is generally considered safe in pregnancy, a few side effects may be seen , especially with the usage of clove oil.
1. Clove oil , if ingested in a large quantity , stimulates the uterus and increases contractions. This leads to premature labour and preterm delivery.
2. Some people are allergic to cloves. Consumption of cloves in such people might prove extremely dangerous during pregnancy.
3. Consumption of cloves in excess may also lead to intestinal and gastric problems such as diarrhea, intestinal bleeding, nausea and vomiting.
4. Ingestion of clove oil in excess may predispose to seizures during pregnancy.
5. Excessive consumption of cloves during pregnancy might cause abdominal pain, and in extreme cases cause liver and kidney failure too.
6. Avoid the topical application of clove oil as it might lead to skin allergies.
How To Use Cloves During Pregnancy?
1. Boil a few cloves in water and inhale the steam to get rid of stuffy nose.
2. Eat a clove or two after meals to increase digestion.
3. Make clove tea by boiling cloves in tea and ingest it for reducing oral bacteria and improving digestion.
4. The use of clove oil either internally or topically should be limited during pregnancy.
Tips And Precautions For Using Cloves During Pregnancy:
- Do remember that it is advisable to stay away from any sort of supplements. From clove oil to herbal clove medications; nothing is safe with the risk of adulteration these products pose. Which is why, you need to entirely stick to the raw clove that you bring home.
- Since many women complain of uterine contractions on the intake of cloves, consulting your doctor about how many of these you should include in your intake would be the smart move.
- Refrain from using clove oil to treat minor ailments such as toothaches during pregnancy.
- Applying clove oil to the skin should be avoided during pregnancy as it might cause allergic reactions.
- Make sure that you ingest cloves in moderation during pregnancy to avoid any complications or the danger of preterm labour.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that all the information in this article is intended for educational purposes only. It is not meant to be construed nor is a substitute for medical advice. If you want to include cloves in your diet during pregnancy, make sure you pay a visit to your doctor for proper information about it.
So, is eating a clove or two dangerous for your pregnancy? Not at all, in fact it has its share of benefits during pregnancy. However, you need to make sure that its well within the safe zone. The clove on a whole does not lead to a miscarriage, but the bleeding and contractions do- which only happen when you’re consuming way above the normal levels of intake. If you get a green signal from your doctor, there is absolutely no harm in indulging in your favorite food every now and then. Enjoy !
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is clove Tea Safe During Pregnancy?
Answer: Clove tea is mostly safe during pregnancy when consumed in little quantities. Adding powdered clove is much safer than adding clove oil to any preparation. Stay safe and drink clove tea in moderation.
2. Is clove Safe During Breast Feeding ?
Answer: If you ingest a clove or two , it does not affect breastfeeding much . However , ingestion above that might lead to stomach upsets in your newborn. Hence , do not over indulge in your favourite spice while breastfeeding .
3. Can Clove Oil be Used to Treat Tooth Aches During Pregnancy?
Answer: It is better to refrain from using clove oil in any form to treat minor ailments during pregnancy .
4. Which Form of Clove is Safest for Consumption in Pregnancy?
Answer: Cloves are best ingested raw , or in powdered form. Refrain from using clove oil as much as possible.