All of us have heard stories from our grandma’s time on the several benefits of coconut oil on skin and hair. The importance and vital features of this oil for girls and young women are stressed with a great deal. But do you actually know how and what are the advantages associated with this oil on skin? The oil is spoken and lauded enough for its health-promoting properties. This wonder oil works like magic for all women who have both beauty and skincare concerns. With the fatty acids, minerals, and nutrients, coconut oil is miraculous for skin problems, as well as our hair health.
If you are still wondering about methods of application of this oil, dosage, and how it works for different skin concerns, this guide is for you! Today, let us go about exploring the unknown benefits of coconut oil application on the skin every day.
What is Coconut Oil and What are Its Properties:
Coconut oil is something that has a multitude of benefits for both health and skincare. It contains heavy saturated fatty acids which are extracted from raw or dried out coconut kernels(1). The oil is both used for cooking and health concerns, such as skin and hair. With its richness in saturated fatty acids in general, the oil also has good polyunsaturated fats and other micro-nutrients(2).
- Lauric acid 49%
- Myristic acid 18%
- Caprylic acid 8%
- Palmitic acid 8%
- Capric acid 7%
- Oleic acid 6%
- Linoleic acid 2%
- Stearic acid 2%
Pure coconut oil henceforth compromises of saturated fat, around significant than 90 percent within it(3). The lauric acid present in it, with the highest proportion, works wonders with its rich antibacterial and antiviral properties(4).
Advantages and Benefits of Coconut oil on The Skin:
With these immense rich nutrients and fatty acids, coconut oil proves to be of utmost significance to aid us with several benefits for both skin, hair and health. Here are a few of the health as well as skincare benefits of applying the oil on the face and skin.
1. Helps in Healing Wounds:
Several studies have proven that treating injuries with coconut oil helps in the process of healing significantly. With proper collagen levels and antioxidants, along with antimicrobial properties, the oil helps to heal wounds and also reduce infections around them(5,6). The importance of coconut oil on healing wounds on the skin is a much-popular ancient remedy too.
- Firstly, clean the wound neatly. Clear the area and pat it dry.
- Apply the oil in and around the wound.
- Cover the area with a cloth.
- Reapply the oil 2-3 times a day for good results.
2. Skin Hydration and Moisturization:
Suffering from that dry and cracky skin? All you need is pure coconut oil to get out with better looks. The coconut oil benefits to hydrate even deep on dry skin. With its mineral components, it helps moisturize the skin and maintain skin integrity(7). The oil deeply penetrates the surface layers and provides long-lasting hydration.
- After having a fresh bath, just apply the coconut oil on the dry areas of the skin.
- Re-apply it again as required.
- That is it; you will see shiny and moisturized skin in no time.
- Given the importance and benefits, you can go ahead in applying the coconut oil on the face overnight as well.
3. Treat Acne:
Coconut oil, with its dense fatty acids, helps to keep bacteria in the bay and reduce infections. These anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties in the oil help to treat acne, reduce redness and swelling, and also prevent its growth(8).
- For best results, wash the face regularly.
- Pat it dry and applies coconut oil on the areas where acne is present.
- Alternatively, you can even steam your face with hot water so that the pores open up, remove dead skin and clean up pores, and then massage coconut oil to benefit your skin.
4. Reduce Inflammation:
From the case of skin infections to inflammations, coconut oil helps a great deal to reduce such concerns. The oil is proved to be beneficial to treat skin infections and disorders such as eczema and dermatitis(9). When it is applied, it works wonders to reduce inflammation, redness, and pain, given its antioxidant properties and fatty acids(10).
- Besides taking the regular medication for the affected area and skin concerns, apply fresh coconut oil.
- Massage it well to let it go into deep skin layers.
- Re-apply as required, to any number of times.
5. Coconut Oil as Natural Sun-Screen:
Sunscreen plays a significant role in caring and protects the skin from the harmful UV rays falling from the sun(11). Do you know that coconut oil comes in a great deal to reduce the effect of sun falling directly on the skin? With its natural ingredients, the coconut oil can help you naturally to protect the skin from rays, without help fo any counterfeit products.
- All you need to do is use extra-virgin coconut oil on the face.
- Apply a thin layer of it before you head out from home.
- Thus, coconut oil can reduce the effect of harsh sun rays on the face and skin layers.
[ Also Read: How to Use Coconut Oil for Dark Circles ]
6. Makeup Remover:
With the stubborn makeup products around the corner of markets, we love to get dressed up and look beautiful. But it is equally important to remove makeup by the end of the day. It can be the most challenging task to accomplish as well, with stubborn traces being left around our face. But do you know coconut oil is natural makeup remover? Why use market-based products if this oil can help clean your skin easily?
- Take a bit of coconut oil on cotton pad and massage well around the face.
- Remove the stubborn eye-makeup and traces quickly with this oil.
- Coat it thoroughly for a couple of times for best results.
- Wash face with cold water and pat dry.
7. Reduce and Remove Stretch Marks:
Stretch marks are most commonly seen in today’s world due to several reasons. Be it due to pregnancy, or weight gain or sudden weight loss, or muscle building; these marks are not something which we all want. But do you know that the anti-inflammatory properties can heal the marks well? The oil helps hydrate the skin naturally, with its lauric acid absorbed deep in skin layers to have a positive effect on collagen production. This, in turn, improves the appearance and reduces marks.
- You can directly apply the coconut oil on stretch marks and massage well.
- Alternatively, you can even mix oil with lemon juice and massage on to the skin.
8. Soften The Skin:
We all dream of having a soft and glowing skin from within. But the pure coconut oil can make your wish come true in no time! With its proper levels in collagen as well as vitamin E, coconut oil can help immensely to soften the skin tone, lighten the marks, and bring in the natural glow from skin effortlessly. It also benefits on improving blood circulation when massaged and brings in the natural glow on the face. Be it the case of dry or oily skin, the benefits are equal and immense.
- Add on few drops of coconut oil on the face and skin.
- Massage it well around the skin every night before you sleep.
- Alternatively, you can add coconut oil, rose water, lemon, and turmeric to use as a face mask too.
- You can even go ahead with applying the coconut oil overnight on the face, for bringing in the subtle glow and soft skin.
9. Reduce Wrinkles:
There are strong beliefs among many that coconut oil is good for face and skin wrinkles. While the scientific evidence seems limited on this one, some studies mention that this oil is effective than other essential oils to tone down the skin and reduce such concerns(12). Given the extraordinary amount of collagen in the oil, it helps in creating skin elasticity as well as making it firmer.
- Use the oil as a form of serum and apply across the dry skin.
- Massage it well.
10. As an Under-Eye Cream:
Are you suffering from dark circles? Do you want to have bright and clear eyes, just like divas? Forget about spending extra bucks for all those market under-eye products and use the natural oil to reduce puffiness and spots. The coconut oil works great as a cream to reduce the puffiness, dark circles, and lines near the eyes.
- Just massage and rub bit of pure coconut oil between your fingers.
- Warm it up and pat under eyes.
11. As Lip Butter for Chapped and Dry Lips:
While the moisturizing properties of coconut oil are already well established, it helps significantly as a dry lip remedy, too. If you have dry and chapped lips, the oil can be of great help to hydrate skin, heal the cracks, and reduce wrinkles around lips.
- Applying the oil to lips is quite a straight-forward remedy.
- Store the oil in a small container and use it handy to rub it over lips, as and when required.
12. Body Scrub:
We bet you haven’t thought about using the coconut oil as a body scrub. Did you?! With its excellent properties in fatty acids and vitamins, the oil can help remove dead skin cells, tone down the skin, and bring in a smooth texture, not just to face but also to the body. It works as a natural scrub.
- Mix coconut oil with coarse salt to create the natural scrub.
- Exfoliate the skin well with the scrub before you have a bath.
- Use it regularly for the best results. Prefer using raw coconut oil on the skin for the best benefits in this case.
13. Cracked Heel or Cuticle Oil:
Are you having the cracked feet and/or cuticles? If you are under the assumption that having cracked feet and heel is natural, you are wrong. It is due to our regular lifestyle factors, such as running around in schedules and not caring enough for our heels or nails. Regular pedicures/manicures aren’t just a therapy, but you need something more substantial to protect your cuticles too.
- Use coconut oil as a cuticle or feet oil.
- Apply and massage it every night before you sleep.
14. As a Hair Mask:
Be it the case of frizzy or damaged hair, or dry hair, are you aware of the miraculous benefits associated with this oil to bring in shiny and healthy hair? Studies have shown the immense benefits of using coconut oil to reduce hair fall, bring in proteins to thin hair and balance the natural oils within the follicles(13).
- You can apply coconut oil before having hair wash. Let the hair soak in oil for a couple of hours before you head to wash the hair.
- Alternatively, you can even use this as a serum on wet towelled hair, post hair wash. Apply a tiny bit of coconut oil, mixed with essential oil to the hair strands.
15. For an Overall Healthy Face and Skin:
Overall, we now know that coconut oil helps to maintain and bring back healthy, moisturized and shiny skin layers. Apply the oil as cleaner, scrub and moisturizer to tone down the natural oils, hydrate the surface layer, and bring in glowing skin effortlessly.
- Use the oil in the palm, rub it in between fingers for better application and warming it up.
- Use it every day and regularly for better results.
[ Also Read: Coconut Oil Benefits for Babies ]
Which Type of Coconut Oil is Best?
The coconut oil isn’t pure everywhere when we find it in the market. It can be dry or wet in processing. With several types within, such as refined oil, unrefined oil and extra-virgin coconut oil, not every kind is suitable for application directly on skin and face.
Refined oil is the best fit for cooking, and virgin coconut oil is best suited for benefits in skin health and care. The latter fares better in terms of antioxidants and minerals and works wonders for better skincare and health overall(14). This also prevents oxidization and neutralizes free chemicals, helping in reducing rashes, infections and inflammations. The organic coconut oil is also, however, popular in the market for skincare remedies.
We have seen the immense number of benefits associated with using coconut oil for skin and face. One cannot stress the importance and significance of this ancient remedy even in today’s world for better skin and looks. Try this natural remedy out instead of going for market-based products and check out the results all by yourself. Let us know your thoughts!