Also known as the kasta Saree, the origin of the dhoti saree lies in the Maharashtrian community. The way of draping a dhoti saree is very similar to the way the Maharashtrian dhoti is worn, and hence it is also known as the dhoti saree. Since wearing the saree in this style requires a longer saree of 9 yards (Nau Vaar in Marathi). Such sarees are also known as nauvari sarees. Draping a dhoti saree in a traditional Marathi style could be tricky, time-consuming, and mastered only through practice. And hence to resolve this problem and save time, the pre-stitched or ready to wear versions of dhoti saree have come up, which are easy to wear and very graceful and stylish. Check out the ten best dhoti sari designs right here.
Importance of Dhoti Saree:
The following are some of the importance of wearing a dhoti sari:
- The nauvari saree is considered one of the sattvik attires, and the person wearing this saree is considered virtuous and dharma abiding.
- Wearing a dhoti sari has a rejuvenating effect on the body, mind, ego, and intellect as the distressing energy associated with the energy body is released, reducing the restlessness and ego.
- Stability of the mind and awakening of the conscience can be achieved by wearing a nauvari saree.
- The two ends of the pallu of the dhoti style saree protect a woman from both sides – front and back.
Features of Dhoti Saree:
The following are the features of a dhoti sari:
- The length of the traditional saree is 9 yards from which it got its name Nauvari.
- It is worn without a petticoat, and hence unlike other sarees, it doesn’t require any support from other garments. This is why it is also referred to as Akanda Vastra.
- A woman wearing a nauvari saree is looked upon with great respect as it covers both a woman’s shoulders.
- There are various styles of wearing a nauvari saree, and the length of the saree varies from ankle length to knee length depending upon the community in which the woman belongs.
Latest and Trending Dhoti Type Saree Designs with Images:
Are you a fan of dhoti saris but don’t know how to drape them? Then here we have some exclusive dhoti sarees that are ready to wear and rock this season.
1. Saree Kasta:
This is the peshwai style of wearing the nauvari saree and the origin of the dhoti style saree. Originally, the traditional Marathi ladies used to wear the saree in the dhoti style, which eased them working. Worn without a petticoat and tucked at the back, wearing a traditional kasta could be tricky but mastered with practice. It looks very elegant and beautiful. There are several ways of draping a nauvari saree, one of which is the one shown in the picture above.
- Design: Pink Kasta Type Saree
- Fabric Used: Silk
- Occasions to Wear: Any Traditional Function and Typical Maharashtrian Weddings
- Suitable Body Shape: Suits all the body types
2. Readymade Nauvari Saree:
The original form of the dhoti style saree is the nauvari saree. It is the 9 yards saree worn by the Marathi women. This is the dhoti style of wearing the sari, where the saree is tucked at the back and worn without a petticoat. Wearing a traditional nauvari could be tricky and time-consuming, but this pre-stitched to perfection nauvari saree eases all the ordeals. Just wear it like a pyjama, pin-up the pallu, and you are ready to go. Combine with the traditional Maharashtrian jewellery, a moon-shaped bindi, and a bun to get the traditional Marathi look.
- Design: Green Pre-Stitched Nauvari Saree
- Fabric Used: Silk
- Occasions to Wear: Any traditional function, religious function
- Suitable Body Shape: Suitable for all the body shapes
3. Ready to Wear Dhoti Sari:
This enthrallingly beautiful dhoti saree is flattering and versatile. Designed exclusively, the georgette fabric of the saree makes it look elegant and extremely weightless. Being ready to wear a saree is very easy to wear and comfortable to carry and is available in numerous shades and patterns. It also comes with a contrasting blouse velvet fabric which can be designed as per your choice. Designed using optimum grade fabric and manufactured in high tech machines, you should not worry about quality. Get ready to rock this wedding season in an inexpensive yet exclusive designer wear dhoti style saree.
- Design: Rose Pink Designer Dhoti Style Saree
- Fabric Used: Georgette
- Occasions to Wear: Party, bridal celebration, get together
- Suitable Body Shape: Suitable for all body shapes
See More: Trending Dupion Silk Sarees
4. Navy Blue Dhoti Saree Gown:
This beautiful navy blue saree is a saree cum gown that features a lycra net. The gown is styled in a dhoti drape and is enhanced by a kundan embroidery border and attached pallu. Wear it as a gown and flaunt it like a saree; this gown cum saree is suitable for all types of occasions, formal as well as casual, cultural, and modern. And if all this doesn’t impress you, it also comes with a matching semi-stitched blouse embellished in the thread and Zardosi embroidery. The only concern is you cannot wash this saree as a regular cloth, and it can be best preserved in dry clean only.
- Design: Blue Dhoti Sari Cum Gown
- Fabric Used: Lycra Net
- Occasions to Wear: Wedding, get together, cultural events, evening parties
- Suitable Body Shape: Suitable for all types of body shapes
5. Versatile Dhoti Style Sari:
A dhoti style pleated steel grey saree is a perfect garment for the modern fashionista who loves to flaunt traditional style. This ensemble features a high-low jacket in sequin embroidery with an engineered lace and is a beautifully draped tinsel jersey in details that make it look ultra-glamorous. This saree is a perfect example of a contemporary luxury Indian fashion that showcases a bold transition of Indian designer clothing into western silhouettes.
- Design: Beige Dhoti Style Saree
- Fabric Used: Jacket – Net: Saree – Tinsel Jersey
- Occasions to Wear: High profile events, large scale gatherings, fashion shows
- Suitable Body Shape: Suitable for all body types
6. Powder Blue Dhoti Pattern Saree With Crop Top:
Featuring here is an exclusive powder blue coloured draped dhoti sari with an attached shaded pallu. This Indo-western saree comes with a blue crop top. The hand embroidery with Patta and the sequin work of the blouse enhances the look of this plain dhoti saree. The pre-draped, ready to wear saree is a welcome twist to the traditional saree and can be easily worn at a cocktail evening or any festive occasion. Pair it will a long dangling, and you are ready to rock the party.
- Design: Dhoti Style Saree with a Crop Top
- Fabric Used: Satin
- Occasions to Wear: Cocktail parties, social gatherings, evening parties, pre-bridal functions
- Suitable Body Shape: Suits all the types of body shapes
7. Partywear Dhoti Pant Saree:
Though a plain saree, it will attract attention due to its unique styling. This multi-coloured dhoti pant sari is easy to carry and attractive in looks. And it comes with a designer coti style blouse that only adds to its grace. Wear it to any casual or social gathering, and you are sure to stand out.
- Design: Dhoti Pant Style Saree
- Fabric Used: Cotton
- Occasions to Wear: Party, social gathering, get together
- Suitable body shape: A leaner physique is preferable, though it can suit well to all the body shapes
8. Partywear Dhoti Saree Style Suit:
This unique dress can be classified as a dhoti, a saree, and a suit. It’s a brilliant design, one of its kind that will make you stand out from the rest. Made from pure georgette, the saree has a pre-stitched dhoti and pleated pallu. The bottom is matched with an embroidered jacquard that only adds to its grace and makes it look complete.
- Saree Design: Dhoti Saree Style Suit
- Fabric Used: Georgette and Jacquard
- Occasions to Wear: Pre-wedding parties, evening get together, large gatherings, social functions
- Suitable Body Shape: Suited for all the body types
9. Red Crepe Embroidered Dhoti Saree:
Wear this traditional yet modern dhoti crepe silk saree in an attractive shade of red and flaunt a different look in a traditional setting. Enhanced with a bead embellishment with pearls all over, this saree comes with a golden brocade blouse. The designer blouse features lavish golden sequin and bead embellishments. This ready-to-wear saree is easy to carry and looks very attractive, making it perfect for any bridal function or wedding ceremony. Just pair it with a bohemian statement necklace and stud earrings, and you are ready to rock.
- Design: Red Embroidered Dhoti Saree
- Fabric Used: Crepe Silk and Brocade
- Occasions to wear: Wedding, parties, social gatherings
- Suitable body shape: Suited for all body types
10. Dhoti Style Pre-Pleated Saree:
This pre-plated dhoti style sari is the latest and welcome innovation in the textile industry for any fashion-forward woman. This copper saree is crafted from jersey fabric and comes with a contrasting red full sleeves blouse with 3D embroidery. The front buttons and high back of the blouse give the saree a retro look enhanced by the saree’s shimmering fabric. Give it a complete vintage look by pairing it with a bun and long dangles. This saree is an apt example of contemporary luxury Indian fashion.
- Design: Pre-Pleated Dhoti Style Saree
- Fabric Used: Jersey and Silk
- Occasions to Wear: Bridal Functions, Cocktail Parties, Evening Gatherings
- Suitable Body Shape: Suited for all the body types
How To Wear Saree In Dhoti Style?
Wearing a dhoti saree isn’t easy, but it isn’t impossible as well. With practice, you can master wearing the saree in a dhoti style. The following steps will guide you on how to wear a dhoti saree like a pro:
- Place the centre of the saree neatly at the back of the waist.
- Tie the ends of the saree in the front.
- Wrap the two ends of the saree around the leg, giving it a dhoti look.
- Now drape the decorative ends of the saree over the shoulder and the upper body.
How To Style a Dhoti Saree?
The following are the various ways in which you can style your dhoti saree:
- Don’t choose the printed sari as it will blur the vision of the dhoti style draping.
- Make the right choice of sassy blouse that will glam up the look of the saree.
- Accessorise the saree with trendy accessories to add glamour to your personality.
- Wear a pair of high heels that will match the glare of the saree.
- Take care that the border of the saree is visible to display the graphics of the saree.
- Pair it with a waistband to give a traditional look to your dhoti saree.
Traditionally worn in pure cotton, the dhoti sarees are now worn in pure silk. And further now, they are pre-stitched to ease the convenience of wearing and yet look graceful. A saree looks great on each body, and a dhoti saree can make a lady slimmer as graceful as it is worn without a petticoat, and hence there is no added bulk on the waist. Get anyone of the dhoti above style saree and rock this wedding season.