According to statistics, an average of 68% of women falls under the plus-size category, who face outfit shopping challenges! In countries like India, it’s common for women to compromise their looks because of a lack of confidence and suitable clothing options. Fortunately, it is a thing of the past! Today, the segment of dresses for plus size women is expanding well in the fashion market. If you have a body larger than the average Indian figure and are struggling to find the right clothes, we assure you, this is the right place to be! The article features an amazing collection of different dresses tailored for chubby ad curvy bodies, including the bottom and upper wear. Ready for a makeover? Then scroll down to get inspired!
Which Type of Dresses is Suitable For Plus Size Women?
The first step to choosing a suitable dress is to identify your body type. By following these simple tricks, you can conceal those unwanted places of your body and get a flattering figure instead:
- Choose Dark colours like black, navy blue and deep brown that have a thinning effect on the body.
- Dark, prewashed denim look amazing on your figures. Go for figure-hugging fits and choose a mid-rise for comfort and style.
- Maxi dresses are other great options to try. Try to pick a fluidic fabric that gives a sleeker look and play around with prints to trick the eyes.
- A-line skirts and dresses are your new best friends and never make you fail. They balance the proportions of your body and define your curves.
- Cinched Dresses and Tunics are highly recommended for obese women, as they create an hourglass-like figure by slimming your waistline.
Comfortable and Stylish Dresses for Plus Size Women in Trend:
Here are some suitable dresses for Plus size ladies which makes look the look and ways to wear them.
1. Designer Gowns for Plus Sizes:
When it comes to wearing gowns, you can experiment with various silhouettes, like this draped shoulder dress. The outfit features a lightweight fabric in a nude pink colour with ornated detailing all over the front. Choosing this style can cover up that waistline and heavy bust while putting your arms and shoulders under the spotlight.
- Occasion: Prom Nights, Social Gatherings
- Style Tip: Tie up your hair into a pretty French bun to look graceful.
2. Wedding Dress:
Searching for a dreamy wedding dress for your body? If you are still stuck to the conventional A-lines, it’s time to experiment with this fish cut gown. The structured silhouette is tailored to perfection for a figure-flatting look. It is ideal for women with hourglass figures, and the clever construction of this garment hides your bulk and make you look toned.
- Occasion: Christian Weddings
- Style Tip: Go for curly locks with diamond jewellery.
3. Beach Dresses:
If you have apprehensions about wearing a bikini to the beach, you can try this flirty dress instead. The breezy fabric lets you play in the water and have fun without making you look too heavy. The tie-up straps allow you to take off the dress whenever you need it easily. You can try funky prints in bright colours to bring in the coastal vibes.
- Occasion: Beach Wear
- Style Tip: Wear a straw hat with a pair of slippers to look stylish.
4. One-Piece Dress:
If you cannot love your own body, who else will? So leave no opportunity to reveal your hotter side by picking up a one-piece suit. The asymmetrical hemline, with a cleavage-revealing neck, is just what you need to prove your self-confidence. You can try it on the beaches, at pool parties or even while cuddling up with your partner.
- Occasion: Pools, Intimate moments
- Style Tip: Go for beach curls to show off your sensuousness.
5. Party Wear Dress:
If you are ready to party like never before, don’t let the dress get into your way! Instead of those boring, overflowing dresses, choose something comfortable and sassy at the same time. Here is one such ball gown in knee-length, designed with dainty black lace. The off-shoulder neckline with short sleeves highlights your upper part, while the stonework belt gives you a beautiful shape.
- Occasion: Cocktail Parties
- Style Tip: Wear chandelier earrings and high heel shoes to complete your look.
6. Cigarette Trousers:
You can now try the retro look with cigarette trousers. Well-tailored trousers can be figure flaunting and accentuate those big curves. The mid-rise pant gives a sleeker look to your waistline and enhances the shape. By opting for dark hues and bold prints, one can experiment with their looks. Team it with a nice top, and you are ready to rock the world.
- Occasion: Casual Outings, Friday Office Wear
- Style Tip: Wear this outfit with a pair of stilettos to get a ramp-ready look.
7. Wide Leg Pants:
Just because you have a chubby figure doesn’t mean you cannot wear wide-legged pants. They are pretty comfortable and meant to hide those big thighs. You can team it with different tops, preferably tight fitted to flaunt a breezy look. A wide-leg creates a well-balanced look and can make you look even structured.
- Occasion: Travel, Outings and Sunday Brunches
- Style Tip: Wear a figure-hugging sleeveless top in contrast colour.
8. Sweater Dress:
Sweater dresses are a must-have in winters. They hug your body, flatter your curves and keep you warm in the season. Instead of picking a heavy woolen fabric, choose to keep it light and elegant. Pick a combination of light and dark colours to conceal your bulky waistline. Wear proper lingerie underneath this dress to look gorgeous.
- Occasion: Evening Outings, Shopping Trips
- Style Tip: Wear it with a pair of skinny leggings to highlight those lovely legs.
9. Lace Body Suit:
Look hot in this lace bodysuit that gives you a nice peekaboo effect, yet keep it subtle. This is great for a date night and makes you feel like a pixie in disguise. Black and White are the most popular options for a bodysuit and can be worn as a day and nightwear by simply changing the way you style. Choose to pair it with trousers and girl; you are sure to catch eyeballs.
- Occasion: Date Nights, Weekend Parties
- Style Tip: Throw on a dazzling sequin blazer to rock at the disco party!
10. Cold Shoulders:
Have those shoulders will show off! Cold shoulders are the latest trend in plus size dresses. They are cool, chic and can look amazing on big shoulders. It provides the right coverage to your heavy neckline yet make you want to show off a little skin. A number of options are available to choose from tops, dresses, which reveal different areas of your arms. Try them to woo the crowd!
- Occasion: Evening Parties, Social Gatherings
- Style Tip: Go for a long, layered necklace on this dress for a fabulous look.
11. Well Fitted Trousers and Denim:
If you cannot find a well-fitted pair of trousers, get them tailor-made but try and stick to darker colours only. Straight leg jeans look good on all body types. Avoid trousers that have flairs like bell-bottoms, which can add unnecessary bulk to your body. Wear a tummy shaper inside and a printed tee on the outside to get that cool-girl look.
- Occasion: Casual outings, Colleges and Shopping Trips
- Style Tip: Wear bright coloured pumps to highlight your lower body.
12. Shapely T-Shirts:
For pear and apple body types, it is always advisable to draw attention to your shoulders, arms and bust so, instead of straight fit Tee shirts, go for ones that have some cuts so that your upper body shape looks attractive and the focus is drawn away from your lower body. Here is one such fancy top in Zebra stripes, which features a one-side off-shoulder.
- Occasion: Weekend brunch, Casual Outings
- Style Tip: Wear it with dark coloured denim to define those curves.
13. Full-Length Cardigans:
Adding a Cardigan to your wardrobe serves many purposes. You can use it to layer your outfit or stay warm in colder weather. Such garments hide the width of your body, making you appear smaller. Also, choose shrugs that are open in the front and do not have buttons to avoid that stuffy feeling. Shrugs of asymmetrical length look pleasing on plus-sized women as compared to even length coats.
- Occasion: Workwear, Casual Outings
- Style Tip: Add a statement neckpiece under an open cardigan to get the glam-girl look.
14. Try Falling Necks:
No Dearies, we want you to do overtly exposed, but then a little peek in well-maintained cleavage from a swoop neck or buttoned shirt never hurts, also collar bones look great through a falling neck, and it acts as a great distraction to draw the attention away from other parts of your body. Avoid wearing boat necks as, again, they emphasize the width and instead choose the right neckline for your body type.
- Occasion: Casual, Everyday Wear
- Style Tip: Accessorise a plain top with funky jewellery.
15. Mid Length Skirts/ Dresses:
If you have bigger thighs, go for mid-knee length skirts rather than mini skirts. This is the area where your leg width is the minimum. This really helps to disguise your thighs and draws attention towards the relatively thinner areas of your legs. While choosing your dress, go for a mid or high rise waistline to cover up your tummy. Invest in a good pair of shoes to stay sophisticated.
- Occasion: Office Wear, Formal Gatherings
- Style Tip: Wear it with a vertically striped shirt and tuck it in.
16. Simple Tops for Bust Heavy:
If you have a heavier breast and want to draw attention away from it, wear fluidic clothing free from frills and embellishments. The thumb rule is to keep the bustline free from heaviness and stay as neat as possible. Wear funky trousers, printed leggings and boots to divert the attention to your relatively leaner waistline, hips and legs.
- Occasion: Night Parties, Evening Gatherings
- Style Tip: Footwear plays an important role in these outfits. So be sure to get them right.
See More: How To Lose Belly Fat In 3 Days
17. Twist Front Dress:
As the name suggests, this dress has a pre-stitched twisted knot in the front to give a tighter-looking dress. This also makes your belly appear flattered as layers of fabric in the front act as good camouflage. This is a good strategy, especially while looking for attires suited for women on the plus side.
- Occasion: Date nights, Evening Parties
- Style Tip: Opt for a sleek hairstyle to match the theme of the outfit.
18. Empire Waist Dress:
This type of waistline hides your belly bulge and makes you appear more petite than you actually are; follow the mid-knee length rule. Such dresses accentuate the bust region. A good option for apple and pear-shaped body types. The maximum fit/ tailoring of such dresses is below the bust level rather than on the waist proper. Do pick an outfit in darker colours for an illusionary slimmer feel.
- Occasion: Cocktail Events
- Style Tip: Ditch the necklace and wear statement earrings instead.
19. Maxi Dresses:
These dresses have a length reaching a little above the ankle, below the knees. Mostly they have a fitting that is neither figure-hugging nor too baggy. You can add a little definition at waist level by adding a belt. Alternatively, a plunging neckline would draw attention to your neck and withdraw attention from the waistline, hips and thighs. Be sure to choose a fabric like georgette or chiffon.
- Occasion: Date nights, Romantic dinners
- Style Tip: Wear a pair of high heels to look tall and walk with confidence.
20. Dark Hues of Trousers:
If you have heavy hips and waistline, it would be more appropriate for you to choose trousers that are darker in colour and have a regular fit rather than a slim fit. Go for a regular waistline too and not low waist trousers. Darker colours tend to hide those heavy butt and thigh regions. Wear a belt in darker shades, too, so that the focus stays on your upper body while the bottom half of your body looks muted. You can wear a lighter-hued, pastel or neon coloured shirt/ top.
- Occasion: Office and Formal Meetings
- Style Tip: Invest in a fitting blazer to go along with this trouser.
21. Pick Your Patterns Wisely:
Dress with floral prints are great for the spring season and work remarkably well on big sized women. Choosing the right background colour and the print’s size is very important to achieve the desired look. If you are particularly fond of oversized florals, then keep the dress in a short length. For maxis, choose tiny prints for a beautiful look.
- Occasion: Day Outings, Casual Wear
- Style Tip: Get the vintage vibes by opting for side-swept hair with a flower tucked in.
22. Vertical Stripes:
If you are a fan of striped dresses/ formal shirts, go for vertical or diagonal stripes rather than horizontal stripes. Vertical stripes create an illusion of a leaner body and more height. Wearing horizontal stripes would widen your appearance and make you look stout. This trick can be applied while buying shirts, tops, trousers as well as one-piece dresses. Pair it with a solid top or tee for an elegant look.
- Occasion: Casual outings, College wear
- Style Tip: If you opted for a skinny fit legging, wear it with a solid coloured frilly top.
23. Ruched Fabric Waist Line:
To make your waistline appear somewhat constricted than it actually is, you can wear a dress with gathered fabric. This makes your waist look more sleek and slender. Also, go for a slightly broader neckline to highlight your assets and reveal your sensuous side. You can add a waist belt to get the right fit and achieve a perfect figure.
- Occasion: Vacation wear, Weekend Brunch
- Style Tip: Style your hair well and try a chiselled effect on your face with makeup.
24. Baggy Shirts:
These look cool with dark coloured trousers, denim and skater skirts. Clothing that is too tight can accentuate your flabs which appear rather unappealing. You definitely do not want to flaunt your love handles, do you? A baggy shirt, on the other hand, looks more pleasing on plus-sized women. However, be sure to pick the right size for the desired amount of fabric flowing on your body.
- Occasion: Casual outings
- Style Tip: Avoid wearing gaudy accessories on the neckline, as it can add to the heaviness.
Styling Tips For Over-sized Women:
In continuation to the above section, let us also discuss some style tips that taker your outfit game to the next level:
- Always try the dress before getting it home. Make sure that the fit is right and there are no spillages.
- Invest in good lingerie, which creates a tummy-tuck effect. These garments also give a good lift to your breasts and glorify your body.
- For a fitting look, try wearing a belt that is not too wide. You can go for adjustable ones that work for all sizes.
- When going for prints, choose vertical lines which make you look taller and leaner than your actual figure.
- Pay attention to your body proportions, and don’t hesitate to highlight your bustline, legs and arms.
See More: How To Lose Belly Fat In 2 Days
Plus-sized girls have always been faced for being heavy. Until recently, they had very few options to choose from and were never allowed to try new designs. It’s time to shed those stereotypes and slam those bodies. Wear what you feel like and flaunt that big beautiful body of yours.