Hair loss is a grieving issue. Especially for people living in localities which has hard water supply, it is definitely a major concern. Hard water has high mineral content like calcium, magnesium, which can make the hair follicles stand out. These minerals make the hair strands very dry and rough. This results in tangling of hair, which can be difficult to tame. It makes your hair, hay-wired. Also, shampoos become ineffective in treating the conditions, because hard water makes it difficult to lather and cleanse the scalp. No matter how much product you use, you can’t make it work on your hair. Check out this article to know the effects of hard water on hair and how to deal with the problem.
Consequences Of Hard Water On Hair:
Is hard water bad for hair? Yes. Hard water is extremely damaging to both skin and hair. Check out the signs of hard water on hair:
- Severe hair loss
- Dry and damage to hair follicles
- Scaling of minerals on hair
- Blockage of pores
- Brittle hair caused due to hair thinning
- Tangled, rough hair
- Shampoo does not lather well
Effects Of Hard Water On Hair:
Does hard water cause hair loss? Hard water can be very harsh on the hair follicles and can destroy the quality of hair. Below are a few effects of how hard water causes damage to the hair.
1. Hair is negatively charged and the water which contains chemicals like oxidizers are very positively charged. This is a main factor which is why this has adverse effect on the roots and the follicles become weak.
See More: Almond Oil For Hair Loss
2. There are also minerals present in these which are released from the stations from which we get the regular supply and these are like calcium, magnesium, iron, and others which are very damaging. It causes these to become frizzy and that is why when even with costly conditioners and other supplements, we cannot resist this problem much. This is one of the main factors behind it. Many companies claim that their products can help combat this. However, this is hardly true. Even then, products can be properly bought from stores which are more natural and can cause the harm to lessen. A person can also use some natural conditioners to help combat the frizz.
3. A person can also try a hardness test by trying to lather soap. If there is enough foam, then it is not very hard, and if there is not enough foam then it has minerals in it which is not good for body. It also rips the skin and texture and makes them brittle. This can however not be much control but a person can try using anti-frizz serums to combat this problem. Natural lotions are another thing that can be used.
See More: Nizoral For Hair Loss
Tips For Washing Hair In Hard Water:
There can be various methods by which the water that a person uses to bathe can be smoothened to suit the body and also to get rid of chemicals. These can be done in a number of ways. If the supplying station is where this problem is cured then the adverseness decreases considerably before it reaches household. However, when these are not usually done, a person can individually do these at their own houses to suit their needs. These days due to the cities get these supplied from central stations, many people are facing various types of dermatitis problems.
- A person can buy shampoos which can lower the side effects. A person can also buy some soothing and smoothening agents containing conditioners which are known to be helpful in this regards.
- A person can go to stores and get water softeners which can help to lessen the chemicals. These are sold popularly today and almost any person can buy these for a few amount of money. These are also quite cheap and popularly sold in the cities and the towns.
- Oil massages can be done to prevent any further damage and a person can do this on a regular basis. There are various ayurvedic oils that can be used for this.
See More: Saw Palmetto Hair Loss Treatment
How To Protect Hair From Hard Water:
Check out these simple hard water hair care methods:
A person can use a vinegar rinse after shampoo, as this also helps in this regard. This can protect the hair and also make the water usable for a proper wash. These can be done by mixing 1 tbsp of vinegar to a mug or 2 mugs of water. This can be used every day after shampooing. This can be very helpful if followed on a regular basis. This also gets a person rid of flakiness which can occur due to minerals and oxidizers.
Bottled water is best for washing hair. Since it is expensive, it is recommended to use this water for final rinsing of hair. It can make your hair soft, compared to your usage of hard water.
Using natural shampoos like Shikakai is better to cleanse your scalp than using expensive shampoos. These lather well even in hard water and add volume, bounce to hair.
Water softener is essential to purify hard water. It is a simple device that can be attached to your shower, which can filter out the minerals. These devices have around 10 filters to extract all the harsh minerals out of the water.
Precautionary Measures and Contraindications:
If you are living in hard water supply localities, you need to follow certain precautions:
- Avoid using hair colouring treatments to prevent damage
- Heating and styling equipments are to be completely avoided
- Use specially made hard water conditioners for easy maintenance
- When you are using hard water filters, make sure to change the filters atleast once in 6 months.
- Avoid over washing your hair, as it cause severe dryness
- Keep your scalp clean and ensure it is free from flakes
More than 70% of people living in the cities are affected by hard water. Along with pollution and lifestyle disorders, hard water is the reason for hair loss and damage. You will also notice hair discoloration and dryness. It is better to wash your hair atleast once a week with harvested rain water or bottled water to reverse the damage to certain extent. Although the care taken for hard water hair care is high, the results are worth it. Prolonged washing with hard water can worsen the quality of your hair, which may be impossible it get back to normal. We hope this article helped you understand the negative effects of hard water on hair and how to prevent the damage.