Are you struggling with swollen gums? Worried about the pain and suffering they bring along? Swollen gums are a widespread problem many of us face. You can try some home remedies for swollen gums to get relief. But consult a doctor if the pain persists as it can be an indication of something severe.
The firm, pink tissue that covers your jaw bone are gums that are filled with blood vessels covered with fibrous tissue. Whereas swollen gums are red, and it becomes difficult for you to eat or drink anything. We present you with the best home remedies for swollen gums; in this article, you can try to minimize the discomfort.
- What Causes Swollen Gums?
- Symptoms of Swollen Gums
- Tips to Prevent Swollen Gums
- Best Home Remedies for Swollen Gums
What Causes Swollen Gums?:
There are some factors and reasons that result in swollen gums. Some of the common causes are:
- Plaque formation and tartar.
- Injury in your gums.
- Gum or teeth infections.
- Sensitivity to dental products.
- Dental fixtures.
- Fungal infections.
- Allergies in your oral cavity.
Symptoms of Swollen Gums:
Our body gives us an indication in one way or another when there is a need for medical attention. Be sure to keep an for the following symptoms for swollen gums:
- Bleeding in your gums.
- Redness of gums.
- The gap between your teeth increases.
- Difficulty in chewing food.
- Bad breath.
Tips to Prevent Swollen Gums:
Following some steps will help you prevent swollen gums. Here are some prevention steps:
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss regularly.
- Make sure you use oral hygiene products that do not irritate your gums.
- Avoid tobacco products.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol.
- Try to eat a balanced diet by adding fruits and vegetables to it.
- Visit your dentist frequently.
Best Home Remedies for Swollen Gums:
Including some of these home remedies into your routine may pave a way to reduce the discomfort swollen gums cause:
The antibacterial properties of garlic make it one of the best home remedies for gum swelling. The anti-inflammatory agents reduce the pain and make you feel better.
- Two cloves of garlic.
- Half spoonful turmeric.
- Prepare a paste using the turmeric and garlic.
- Use this paste similar to toothpaste and leave it in your mouth for a few minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly.
2. Ginger And Salt:
Ginger and salt act as natural remedies for swollen gums. The right amount of anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal properties. The antioxidant properties produce the anti-inflammatory compounds. They help relieve yourself from the pain caused by swollen gums. (1)
- ½ spoonful salt.
- A small piece of ginger.
How To Use:
- Crush the ginger forming a smooth paste.
- Add a pinch of salt and water to get a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this paste on the swollen areas and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
3. Intake Of Proper Nutrition:
Balanced nutrition is the key to maintain not only a healthy body but healthy gums and teeth too. Deficiency in vitamin C, calcium, and folic acid are some of the reasons for inflamed gums. Including foods that are a rich source of these vitamins is the best remedy for swollen gums. (2)(3)
- Oranges, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, broccoli, and kale are some of the foods rich in vitamin C.
- Dairy products, tofu, sardines, salmon, cereals, soy milk, and collard greens are the foods rich in calcium.
- Foods with high folic acid are dark leafy greens, asparagus, peas, lentils, beans, avocados, and broccoli.
Mouthwash is another way for swelling gum treatment at home. Untreated gingivitis needs to be addressed as early on as possible before your gums become puffy, inflamed, and bleeding. You can deal with this situation by using an antiseptic mouth wash like Listerine. Listerine is an antiseptic mouthwash that helps reduce the pain caused by inflamed gums by killing the germs causing it.
5. Over The Counter Medicine:
Over the counter medication is another quick remedy for swollen gums. You can ease the oral discomfort caused by swollen gums by some pain killers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Combining home remedies with over the counter medications can be useful in treating this condition. Make sure you consult a doctor before using any medicines.
Production of an increased amount of cortisol is the result of high-stress conditions. This hormone increases the risk of gum disease and worsens the swelling of gums in many. Yoga is a natural remedy for gum swelling that helps lower inflammatory problems in the body.
Saltwater is one of the best cure for swollen gums. Salt helps reduce the pain caused by swollen gums due to the anti-inflammatory properties it has. Using saltwater treatment during a pain episode can also be very helpful. (4)
- Two cups of warm water.
- One spoonful salt.
- Mix the salt in two cups of warm water and mix it well.
- Rinse your mouth with the saline water three times a day, after every meal.
- Following this procedure will give you the desired results in no time.
8. Clove Oil:
One of the age-old remedies is Clove oil, which is the perfect home cure for swollen gums. The antimicrobial properties of this essential oil treat the infection that reduces the swelling in your gums. The pain can also be comforted due to the analgesic nature of this oil. (5)
- Take two to three drops of clove oil on a cotton ball.
- Apply it on your swollen gums gently.
- Leave it there for a few minutes.
- Repeat the process in the morning and evening.
9. Lemon Juice:
The antimicrobial properties of lemon juice make it the best home remedy for swollen gums. You can also prepare this concoction easily and is a simple remedy to ease the pain from the swelling of gums.
- One glass of warm water.
- Half a glass of lemon juice.
- Mix the lemon juice and warm water thoroughly.
- Gargle with this mixture for at least twice a day for the results you need.
See More: Natural Treatments For Gum Disease
10. Baking Soda:
Many people use baking soda as one of the perfect home remedies of swollen gums, as it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. The pain and inflammation can be controlled effectively with regular use. (6)
- Spoonful baking powder.
- Pinch of turmeric.
- Mix the turmeric and baking powder thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture in the swollen areas and leave it for few minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Repeat the process every morning and evening for significant results.
11. Essential Oils:
Essential oils can be a natural cure for swollen gums and give beautiful results to relieve the pain in gums. The potent antimicrobial agents in tea tree (7)(8)and peppermint oil, along with the soothing properties of chamomile oil, reduce swelling and pain in your gums. (9)
- A glass of warm water.
- Two drops of chamomile oil.
- 2 drops of tea tree oil.
- Two drops of peppermint oil.
- Take a glass of warm water and add the essential oils to it.
- Rinse your mouth with the mixture for two to three minutes.
- Wash your mouth with clear water.
- You can do this process twice or three times a day.
12. Babul Tree Bark:
Babul tree bark is a natural treatment for swollen gums as it controls the infection-causing bacteria in your mouth with its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- A glass of water.
- A bark from the babul tree.
- Boil the babul tree bark in a glass of water for five to ten minutes.
- Treat your swollen gums by using this concoction as a mouthwash.
- Try using it three to four times a day, after every meal.
13. Henna Leaves:
Henna leaves are an age-old swollen gums cure at home. It has been effective in treating gum swelling since ancient times and is used in many parts of the world.
- Fresh henna leaves.
- Two glass of water.
- Boil the henna leaves in the water for about ten minutes.
- Strain the solution into a cup.
- Use this potion for gargling twice a day.
14. Castor Seed Oil:
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of castor seed oil help reduce the pain caused by swollen gums. It also helps subside the swelling, too, with regular use.
- Use a cotton ball and squeeze some castor seed oil.
- Apply the oil to the swollen gums.
- Leave it there for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure every day.
Turmeric is known for its effective treatment of swollen gums at home and needs no introduction. It relieves you from the pain of swollen gums by speeding up the healing process. The anti-inflammatory properties also control the inflammation in the swollen areas. (10)
- A spoonful of turmeric.
- A pinch of salt.
- A spoonful of mustard oil.
- Take a small bowl and mix turmeric, salt, and mustard oil in it.
- Apply this mixture on the swollen gums and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process twice a day for relief.
16. Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe vera gel is an effective treatment for swollen gums at home. You can get instant relief from the pain due to the presence of antioxidants, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties in aloe vera. It also kills the unwanted bacteria in your mouth, resulting in the healing process. (11)
- Apply fresh aloe vera to the affected areas of your gums.
- Leave it there for as long as possible.
- Rinse your mouth with normal water.
- Repeat the process twice or three times a day.
17. Vanilla Extract:
Vanilla extract is not only a flavouring in your food but also a perfect swollen gums treatment at home. The antiseptic properties of vanilla extract help ease the pain caused by the gum swelling.
- Dip your finger in the vanilla extract.
- Apply the contents on the swollen gum and let is stay for as long as you can.
- Try applying it twice or three times a day.
18. Epsom Salt:
Many people consider Epsom salt as the best home remedies for swollen gums as it controls the swelling and pain in the gums. The chance of bacteria growth in your mouth is reduced with its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- A spoonful Epsom salt.
- A glass of water.
- Mix the Epsom salt in the glass of water thoroughly.
- Gargle using this concoction.
- Repeat the process four to five times a day.
- Make sure you don’t swallow the contents.
19. Hydrogen Peroxide:
Many oral health practitioners suggest that rinsing your swollen or sore gums using water mixed with hydrogen peroxide can be very useful. It reduces the pain and swelling of your gums. (12)
- Three spoonfuls of hydrogen peroxide.
- Three spoonfuls of water.
- Mix the water and hydrogen peroxide in a small bowl.
- Put the mixture in your mouth and keep it here for 30 seconds.
- Follow this procedure twice or three times a week.
- Do not swallow the liquid.
20. Apple Cider Vinegar:
One of the effective homemade remedies for swollen gums is using apple cider vinegar regularly. It reduces infections by balancing the PH level of the mouth. Ease the pain and swelling by regularly using apple cider vinegar.
- One spoonful of apple cider vinegar.
- A glass of water.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar to the glass of water and mix it well.
- Use this liquid to rinse your mouth twice or three times a day.
If the pain and swelling in your gums is mild, then it is not of immediate concern. If such is the case, you can try the home remedies for swollen gums from this article that will help you get relief from the pain. But if the pain and swelling increase further and becomes unbearable, consult a doctor immediately without delay.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article are mere suggestions and are not a replacement for medical advice. Consult a physician before you start anything new.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What Causes Swelling Around A Single Tooth?
Ans: Improper brushing and flossing are some of the reasons that result in swelling around one tooth. There is a possibility of inflammation and decay if food gets stuck in your teeth. Therefore brushing and flossing your teeth twice a day is recommended.
2. When Is The Right Time To Visit A Dentist?
Ans: Although home remedies help you relieve the symptoms of gum swelling to a great extent, you need to visit a doctor immediately if you observe the following symptoms:
- Bleeding gums.
- Mouth sores that last longer than a week.
- Jaw pain.
- Swelling and pain in your face, mouth, or neck.
- If you have difficulty in chewing.
3. How Long Does It Take To Treat Swollen Gums?
Ans: With proper oral hygiene, balanced diet and dedication you can treat and reverse the painful effects swollen gums have. If the pain and swelling is intense, it typically takes two weeks for the inflammation to reduce with proper medication.