We all know about sports. We hear and watch our favourite games, cricket, badminton, football and tennis, mostly here in India. But how well do we know the players and especially Indian sports women? Not all of us know major games and the famous personalities who are responsible for bringing good name and fame to our country. Especially, female sports personalities of India are not much recognised and in the limelight and are not well known. But worry not as we are here to tell you about all the famous Indian sports women one must know about who belongs to this country.
The Indian sports women are mostly into games of badminton, tennis, and chess previously. However given the welcome change now, we have them in the realms of boxing, wrestling, archery, gymnastics, squash and also cricket and hockey. Well, yes this is true, and these famous sportswomen in India are spread across several games receiving wide recognition in the international arena and bringing in good name to our country. But it is sad on our part to not know most of these Indian sports girls. So continue reading to know more about these famous Indian sports women right now.
15 Indian Sports women’s List: (Know About Their Facts and Details)
The Indian sports women are often not much known and aren’t in good limelight. Hence here are top 15 successful Indian sports women we must know about.
1. Mary Kom:
Most of us, fortunately, know this Indian Olympian boxer Mary Kom who is well known in the boxing community for several of her achievements. She has won international recognition, given her success and talent in sports. Mary Kom among Indian sports women right now is the only woman in boxing sports to have a medal in each of the seven world boxing championships. Recently she has also become a member of Rajya Sabha. She still continues to play and win medals for India and make us stand proud in the international boxing community. Let us know more about her here.
- Full Name: Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte.
- D/O: Tonpa Kom.
- Name of the Game: Boxing.
- Height and Weight: 5’2” and 54 kg.
- Date of Birth: 1st March 1983 (36 years).
- Place: Kangathei, Manipur.
- Achievements: Only women in India to have medaled in every championship, only women to become World Amateur Boxing champion six times.
- Awards: Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award for Boxing.
2. Mithali Raj:
Here is an Indian cricket player, Mithali Raj. While cricket is mostly dominated to be a men’s sport in India, Indian cricket player, Mithali Raj has totally upped the game and got famous for being an international women’s cricket player. She is also presently the captain of Indian women’s cricket team in tests and also ODI. She is, in fact, regarded as one of the finest women’s cricket player all across the globe. While India did not have good women’s cricket in the scene lately, she has come into limelight and made India proud with entering into women’s cricket. She has announced her retirement in cricked in September 2019.
- Full Name: Mithali Dorai Raj.
- D/O: Dorai Raj.
- Name of the Game: Cricket.
- Height and Weight: 5’4” and 54 kg.
- Date of Birth: 3rd December 1982(36 years).
- Place: Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- Achievements: Only Indian cricket women to perform brilliantly in ICC, lead to win of Asia Cup title 2006 and 2008, Record of the highest individual score by Indian women cricketer in World Cup Match in 2005, the most number of ODI’s for the Indian team.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Arjuna Award for cricket.
3. Humpy Koneru:
Here comes Indian chess fame Koneru Humpy. The Indian chess grandmaster has been in the limelight for a decade now and still is in the top-notch at her game-winning slams and awards for India. While chess was not much of a game, there was Humpy who entered the game and made India proud at the game. She has exceeded 2600 Elo rating mark and became the second woman after Judit Polgar all across the globe. The Indian chess grandmaster has returned to her game recently again and started to focus on her game as Asia’s youngest women Grand Master.
- Full Name: Humpy Koneru.
- D/O: Koneru Ashok.
- Name of the Game: Chess.
- Height and Weight: 5’8” and 55 kg.
- Date of Birth: 31st March 1987 (32 years old).
- Place: Gudivada, Andhra Pradesh
- Achievements: Second women in the world who exceeded 2600 ELO Rating, Asia’s youngest grandmaster in 1999.
- Awards: Arjuna Award for Chess, Padma Shri, Youngest grandmaster.
4. Sania Mirza:
We all know about the famous personality who rose to fame a decade back, Sania Mirza. Sania has become the queen of tennis in India in the last decade and still is winning our hearts at her game, and she is the most beautiful Indian sports women. She is a professional Indian tennis player and former world number one at her game as well. She is the only one in India to win six grand slam titles. Further, she is ranked by WTA as India’s number one tennis player in both singles and doubles categories. She took retirement from the game in 2013. She is still admired for her game right now and is considered as one of the finest tennis players in the world.
- Full Name: Sania Mirza.
- D/O: Imran Mirza.
- Name of the Game: Tennis.
- Height and Weight: 1.73m and 58 kg.
- Date of Birth: 15 November 1986 (32 years).
- Place: Mumbai, India.
- Achievements: Former world number 1 with Martina Hingis, Won French open and Mixed Women Doubles in 2015, Won 2012 Mixed Doubles in French Open with Mahesh Bhupati, Won 2010 International open in China, First grand slam in 2009 with doubles (Mahesh Bhupati), Runner up at Asia’s tennis championship, Silver in Women’s single 2006 Doha Asian Games.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
5. Saina Nehwal:
Another well-known name in top Indian sports women is Saina Nehwal. The name rose into fame after her success and achievements in Badminton sports. She is a professional badminton player who is also the former world number one. She is a woman in India who has won over 24 badminton titles including eleven super series titles. This player has also won a bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics and has upped her game definitely to be among most prominent badminton sportswomen in the world. She is still definitely among most known and sought badminton name in the globe.
- Full Name: Saina Nehwal.
- D/O: Harvir Singh Nehwal.
- Name of the Game: Badminton.
- Height and Weight: 1.65 m and 60 kg.
- Date of Birth: 17 March 1990 (29 years).
- Place: Hisar, Haryana.
- Achievements: 2016 Champion in Australian Open, 2015 Champion in India Open. 2014 Champion in China Open, Bronze in 2012 Olympics, 11 super series titles.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna award and more.
6. Geeta Phogat:
Geeta Phogat came into name and limelight recently only. She is known to be professional freestyle wrestler and who has won the first-ever gold medal in the wrestling sport in the Common Wealth Games of 2010. No Indian woman wrestler has qualified for Olympic summer games except her at first. She has broken quite a few stereotypes associated with women’s wrestling field. She has excelled in her sport and still stands out to be prominent and famous wrestler all across the globe. Here are more details about her,
- Full Name: Geeta Phogat.
- D/O: Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- Name of the Game: Wrestling.
- Height and Weight: 1.62 m and 62 kg.
- Date of Birth: 15 December 1988 (30 years).
- Place: Bhiwani, Haryana.
- Achievements: First gold medal in Wrestling in Common Wealth Games 2010, Bronze in 2012 World Championships, Gold in 2019 Commonwealth Championships, 2013 Gold in Commonwealth Championships.
- Awards: Arjuna Award.
7. P V Sindhu:
We all know this name and famous personality P V Sindhu(1). She is professional and famous Indian badminton player right now. She rose to fame by becoming the first Indian woman to win Silver in the Olympic Games. Her coach, Gopi Chand who is also an Olympic player and badminton professional, has trained her and still supports her game as coach. She is well known among the Badminton community across the globe. And she has also won in Summer Olympics and is among best world badminton championship player. She is still up in her game and continuing to win many medals for India and making her country proud.
- Full Name: Pusarla Venkata Sindhu.
- D/O: PV Ramana.
- Name of the Game: Badminton.
- Height and Weight: 1.79 m and 65 kg.
- Date of Birth: 5 July 1995(24 years).
- Place: Hyderabad, India.
- Achievements: Forbes under 30 Asia List, 2019 Gold in World Championships, 2018 Silver in Commonwealth games, former world number 2.
- Awards: Arjuna Award, Padma Shri, Rajiv Khel Ratna.
8. Sakshi Malik:
Sakshi Malik is a professional Indian freestyle wrestler. She has come into limelight after winning bronze in 2016 Summer Olympics. And she has become the first Indian female wrestler to win a medal in Olympics now. She has still upped her game and trying hard to win gold in the coming Olympics. Although many of us have not heard her name prominently, she prefers to be less in the limelight and focus on her game than anything else. While India had a dry spell in the Olympics, she is the one who has ended it with getting medals for the country.
- Full Name: Sakshi Malik.
- D/O: Sukhbir Malik.
- Name of the Game: Wrestling.
- Height and Weight: 1.6m and 64 kg.
- Date of Birth: 3 September 1992(26 years).
- Place: Rohtak.
- Achievements: Bronze in 2015 Asian Wrestling Championship, First female in India to win Bronze in Olympics.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
9. Harika Dronavalli:
Many of us have not heard of the name Harika Dronavalli in Chess arena. It is sad that we have not yet come across such talent greatly in the limelight however Harika has been racing in Chess championships all across without a stop. She is Indian Chess grandmaster and won three bronze medals for India in the Women’s world chess championships all around. She has a FIDE title and has been still on her game widely. Her game never gets slow or dull as she has been successful in several championships and competitions. It is sad that the chess game champions are not that recognised around still.
- Full Name: Harika Dronavalli.
- D/O: Ramesh.
- Name of the Game: Chess.
- Height and Weight: 5.5” and 65 kg.
- Date of Birth: 12 January 1991(28 years).
- Place: Guntur, Andhra Pradesh.
- Achievements: Bronze in World Chess Championship 2017, World’s Women Chess Championship 2012, Gold in 2010 Commonwealth Women Chess Championship.
- Awards: Arjuna Award, Grandmaster and Padma Shri.
10. Rani Rampal:
Another name in the list of Indian sports women we have not come across at all is Rani Rampal. How many of us have really heard of her name and admired her?. She is an Indian field hockey player and the youngest player in the Indian national team as well around 2010 world cup. She was 15 years old when she participated back then and still is excelling in her sport well. While much is not known about this low key personality, Rani Rampal is still racing towards her game and is not resting from winning awards and making our country proud.
- Full Name: Rani Rampal.
- D/O: Rampal.
- Name of the Game: Hockey.
- Height and Weight: 1.65 m and 60 kg.
- Date of Birth: 4 December 1994 (24 years).
- Place: Shahbaad Markanda, Haryana.
- Achievements: Olympic in Field Hockey 2018.
- Award: Young Women player of India.
11. Hima Das:
Hima Das has been in the news all around this year and right now given the number of medals she has won and is still winning as a sprint runner. She hails from Assam and is known as Dhing Express given the way she runs at a fast pace and speed. This year, she has broken the record of winning four medals within a span of fifteen days. Hima Das is quite well known for her sport and got recognition for India and made us proud of her. She has been improving her timings drastically and is practising the sport very well. She is very young right now and still has a long way to go.
- Full Name: Hima Das.
- D/O: Ranjit Das.
- Name of the Game: Sprint Runner.
- Height and Weight: 1.67 m and 52 kg.
- Date of Birth: 9 January 2000 (19 years).
- Place: Dhing, Assam.
- Achievements: Gold medal in Asian Games, Silver in Asian Games Mixed 2018, Gold medal in U 20 Championships 2019.
- Awards: Arjuna Award.
12. Dipa Karmakar:
Dipa Karmakar came into limelight in 2016 Olympics. She is an Indian gymnast who has first won the bronze medal in 2014 Common Wealth Games. She has made history by becoming first-ever Indian female gymnast to do so in the entire history right until now. Recently she has also won gold in Gymnasts World Cup. She has been widely practising in her game and is getting up in her game without slowing down her pace. She says that she has still had a long way to go and aims to win a Gold soon for India.
- Full Name: Dipa Karmakar.
- D/O: Dulal Karmakar.
- Name of the Game: Gymnast.
- Height and Weight: 1.5 m and 47 kg.
- Date of Birth: 9 August 1993 (25 years).
- Place: Agartala, Tripura.
- Achievements: Gold in Gymnasts World Cup, Bronze in Commonwealth games 2014, Bronze in 2015 Asian Championships.
- Awards: Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, Padma Shri.
13. Deepika Kumari:
Deepika Kumari, the name is not much well known but however, this popular figure has been touching heights in the world for her Archery game. However, most of us do not know how she was even the world’s number one in Archery. Deepika has won the gold medal in 2010 Common Wealth and is currently ranked world number 5. She is in the news now to bag Silver in Tokyo Olympics test event. She is aiming to be world number 1 again and claim gold in the upcoming Olympics.
- Full Name: Deepika Kumari.
- D/O: Shivnarayan Mahato.
- Name of the Game: Archery.
- Height and Weight: 1.61 m and 56 kg.
- Date of Birth: 13 June 1994 (25 years).
- Place: Ranchi.
- Achievements: Silver in 2015 Women’s team World Championships, Silver in 2011 Women’s team World Championships, Gold at 2012, 2013, 2018 World Cup, Gold at 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Arjuna Award for Archery.
14. Manika Batra:
This is another name we have not come across much, however, is recently coming into the limelight at this young age. Manika Batra is Indian Table Tennis Player who is ranked as world 47th right now. She has shown excellent performance in 2018 Common Wealth games and won our hearts. She became one among the top-ranked female table tennis players in India till date. However, she is still developing and is focusing on the upcoming Olympics. She is also the gold medalist in Goldcoast Games. Here are more details about this female sportsperson of India.
- Full Name: Manika Batra.
- D/O: Girish Batra.
- Name of the Game: Table Tennis.
- Height and Weight: 1.8m and 63 kg.
- Date of Birth: 15 June 1995 (24 years).
- Place: Delhi, India.
- Achievements: Top-ranked table tennis player, Bronze in mixed category 2018 Asian Games, First women to win Individual Gold in table tennis in 2018 Commonwealth games, 2016 South Asian games gold in mixed, and women’s doubles.
- Awards: Arjuna Award for Table Tennis.
15. Deepika Pallikal:
Deepika Pallikal Kartik is an Indian squash player. While many of us have not heard of Squash game in India, she came into limelight and left a mark on the game. She is the first Indian to break into the top ten of PSA world’s ranking for women. She was at her career-best in the world’s 13th and broke up to 10 later. And she married cricketer Dinesh Kartik in 2015. She is still pacing in her career and working to reach the world’s high position and upping her game well. Read more of her facts here as among great Indian women in sports.
- Full Name: Deepika Pallikal Kartik.
- D/O: Sanjiv Pallikal.
- Name of the Game: Squash.
- Height and Weight: 1.71 m and 55 kg.
- Date of Birth: 21 September 1991 (27 years).
- Place: Chennai, India.
- Achievements: World 10 ranking, Bronze in 2018 Asian Games singles, 2014 Silver in Asian Games (Women Team), Bronze in 2014 Asian Games (Women singles), Silver in 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games (Mixed), 2018 Silver in Goldcoast Commonwealth games (Women doubles), Gold in 2014 Commonwealth games (Women doubles).
- Awards: Padma Shri, Arjuna Award.
Here we are with a complete list of famous sportswomen in India. Given are these well-known Indian sports women who have achieved great heights and seen several rewards in their own game. However, given the less emphasis on them, we hardly know some of them in this list. Hope this guide on female sports personalities in India has helped you know famous personalities from our country and their achievements. Also, tell us what you think of these players, we would love to hear from you!