Having healthy and thick hair is often a blessing, as many people think. Have you ever wondered about how to get a well-nourished and healthy look? Well, we believe that it is all in our hands-on how best we can make our hair look. Having healthy food for healthy hair and right nutrition will undoubtedly have a good effect on the nose. Our hair must get sufficient amount of nutrition, proteins, fibre, fatty acids, and vitamins to appear healthy and shiny. Today let us discuss what foods to eat for healthy hair in this guide.
The intake of nutritious and healthy food for obtaining healthy hair growth is of utmost importance. We must consume a balanced diet as they have a significant effect on our overall hair and skincare. Hence if you are wondering about what foods to eat for healthy hair and how to consume them, keep reading this guide.
Does Food Stop Hair Fall?
In case you are suffering from severe hair loss and worried that you are unable to stop hair fall, then the first thing to blame would be your diet. Having the best diet and good food for hair loss is underestimated and not given importance. In case you want to fight hair fall, you have to follow a balanced diet to control hair fall. A diet rich in vitamins and fatty acids will go a long way to prevent hair loss and is effective.
Benefits of Foods for Hair:
Today’s generation does not give a diet for hair growth the required importance– there is nothing like having a well-planned diet for good hair. Here is the best diet intake for hair growth and their benefits:
- A balanced diet helps to strengthen the hair follicles and reduces hair loss.
- Foods rich in proteins and fats, along with vitamins, give thicker and stronger hair. Hair also requires the right proteins and vitamins is acquired only through a proper diet.
- The nutrition and vitamin deficiencies can be reduced to a large extent by food and have positive results for hair growth.
- Scalp issues and concerns like infections, dryness or oiliness can be benefited by having the right kind of food for hair.
Let us look at what foods help hair growth and their benefits for hair care. Here they are!
20 Best Foods That Promotes Healthy Hair:
Listed below is a list of food that is available in the market filled with countless benefits for skin and hair care. Ensure that if possible, that you buy organic food to obtain maximum benefits. Organic food is natural and rich in vitamins, iron, antioxidants, fatty acids, and more! The top 20 foods that promote hair growth are as follows:
1. Eggs for Hair Growth:
Eggs are an excellent source of omega-3s. They contain biotin. What is healthy for hair is not the white of the egg, but the yolk! Any deficiency in hair can be easily compensated by having eggs for hair loss regularly. They are rich in protein and help hair grow thicker.
- How Does it Help: Hair loss is reduced and promotes the growth of hair.
- Sources in Food: Biotin and minerals; Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12.
- How to Consume: One egg a day for controlling hair fall for people with an active lifestyle; two to three times a week for others.
2. Fish for Hair Growth:
Fish is one of the best foods to eat for hair growth for those who are not vegan or vegetarian. The omega-3 fatty acids, along with proteins, are excellent and beneficial for rapid hair growth. It also helps significantly to benefit skincare and in the reduction of rashes on the scalp.
- How Does it Help: Promotes hair growth and increases thickness in the volume of hair.
- Sources in Food: Omega 3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin D3, selenium and B vitamins, nutrients.
- How to Consume: Consume fish of your choice, though salmon is preferred.
3. Peanuts for Haircare:
Peanuts are a great choice for protein, fibre, antioxidants, and good carbs. Be it vegan or vegetarian; this is an ideal food to have regularly for excellent healthy hair. Peanuts as foods that increase hair growth are a less known fact. It brings in all required vitamins for the hair at one go. One can even have this in the form of peanut butter.
- How Does it Help: Reduces hair loss, stimulates hair growth.
- Sources in Food: Fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
- How to Consume: Peanut butter, roasted peanuts.
4. Spinach for Hair:
The leafy greens that are packed with nutrients are considered to be one of the wholesome foods to improve hair growth. Those who are suffering from thinning hair issues can consume spinach regularly. There is no limit on the quantity one can consume as it is healthy. This is one among biotin-rich foods for hair growth.
- How Does it Help: Reduces thinning of hair and increases hair growth.
- Sources in Food: Vitamins, magnesium, iron, and folate.
- How to Consume: Spinach in the form of curry, boiled leafy vegetable, dal.
See More: Vodka Hair Growth
5. Chia Seeds for Hair:
Chia seeds are the next in hair growth foods list. The tiny seeds that can be added to curries, snacks, smoothies, cereal, or puddings. Chia seeds contain a high content of phosphorus, thought to encourage hair growth along with protein, l-lysine known to promote hair growth. It contains nine essential amino acids, which are vital for stronger hair and skin.
- How Does it Help: Hair regrowth and reduces hair loss.
- Sources in Food: Omega 3, antioxidants, proteins.
- How to Consume: In puddings, smoothies, cereals, salads or snacks.
6. Pumpkin for Healthy Hair:
Most of us do not know about the goodness of pumpkin seeds. It contains potassium, which not only keeps hair healthy but stimulates hair growth. The folate, important B vitamin found in the pumpkin promotes hair growth by improving blood circulation. These are among the best diet to promote hair growth.
- How Does it Help: Repair damaged hair cells and follicles.
- Sources in Food: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, antioxidants.
- How to Consume: Sauces, curry, snacks, dishes, salad.
7. Grapes for Hair:
What foods help hair growth apart from these known diets? Here is the most common fruit we have, grapes. Most of us do not see the importance of grapes for hair. Grape seeds contain antioxidants, which help in increasing the circulation of blood and stimulate hair growth.
- How Does it Help: Promote hair growth and improves circulation.
- Sources in Food: Antioxidants like manganese and vitamin C.
- How to Consume: As a fruit or in salads.
Tomatoes are among natural food for hair growth, which most of us are not aware of. They come packed with several vitamins and proteins, which are great to maintain collagen and balance the proteins present in our hair and scalp. These are commonly found and can be included in our diet regularly.
- How Does it Help: Maintain the balance of proteins in hair and stimulate hair growth.
- Sources in Food: Vitamin C, Enzymes.
- How to Consume: Juice, regular diet, and salads.
See More: Tea Tree Oil Benefits For Hair Growth
9. Chickpeas and Lentils:
Lentils are the most common type of pulses we consume on a regular basis. Are you aware that they are among the best vegetarian food for hair growth? Known as common pulses, lentils and chickpeas are plant-based proteins and fibre, help in hair growth. They are a rich source of folic acid that helps in hair growth and cell renewal.
- How Does it Help: Hair growth, reduces hair loss, cell renewal.
- Sources in Food: Proteins, fibre, vitamin.
- How to Consume: Dals and curry dishes.
10. Unsweetened Greek Yogurt:
Most of us do not know about the goodness of Greek yoghurt. This unsweetened variant of yoghurt has enzymes that help with itchy scalp problems and dandruff. It can work as a dandruff buster. Vitamin B5 in it helps with circulation.
- How Does it Help: Prevents hair thinning and hair loss.
- Sources in Food: Vitamins, proteins.
- How to Consume: As it is or in salads.
11. Whole Wheat Grains:
It is a well-known fact that whole wheat helps in weight loss, but did you know that it is extremely beneficial for hair care as well? Consumption of whole wheat grains can aid in hair growth and can strengthen hair and reduce hair loss. It is one of the zinc-rich foods for hair growth as well.
- How Does it Help: Strengthen hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
- Sources in Food: Fiber, zinc, magnesium, vitamin, iron.
- How to Consume: Bread, pasta and biscuits.
See More: Multani Mitti For Hair Growth
12. Soy Beans:
Soybean oil is very beneficial in boosting new hair growth and in reducing cellular damage. This can be added to our regular diet to promote hair growth. Soy proteins play a vital role in hair growth.
- How Does it Help: Reduces hair fall.
- Sources in Food: Protein, calcium, fibre, folic acid, B vitamins, potassium and iron.
- How to Consume: Tofu, and soybeans (fresh and dried) in their whole form.
13. Avocado for Hair Growth:
Avocado is a fruit rich in vitamins B and E that work at the cellular level to strengthen and protect hair. Vitamin E repairs damage to the scalp and Vitamin B is essential for hair growth. It reduces thinning of hair and is extremely beneficial for hair loss. They are a great source of fatty acid, and eating avocado fruits for hair loss is effective.
- How Does it Help: Reduce hair loss and stimulates healthier growth of hair.
- Sources in Food: Vitamin E, potassium, omega 9, Folic acid.
- How to Consume: Shakes, smoothies, salad.
14. Flax Seeds for Hair:
The flax seeds are nutrients for hair loss and are immensely helpful not only to reduce hair fall but also to help prevent the weakening and splitting of hair. The fatty acids nourish hair follicles and make them stronger and less prone to breaking.
- How Does it Help: Reduces breakage and damage to the hair.
- Sources in Food: Magnesium, selenium, Omega 3, Vitamin B1.
- How to Consume: Sprinkle ground flaxseed over cereal, add to water and drink, or add flaxseed oil as dressing over salad.
15. Figs for Healthy Hair:
Figs are known to be rich nutrient food to reduce hair fall and for healthy hair growth. Those who are suffering from damaged and weak hair can try these fruits regularly. Further figs also help to get shiny and smooth hair texture if routinely consumed, and it improves blood circulation.
- How Does it Help: Reduce hair fall, shiny hair.
- Sources in Food: Potassium, Iron, magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin E.
- How to Consume: Baked dishes, as preserves or by itself as dry fruit, etc.
16. Lean Poultry:
Lean poultry is skinless chicken, turkey, and emu. They are low in fat and good sources of proteins. Regular inclusion of lean poultry in your diet helps reduce hair loss and thicken hair. These are foods that help hair growth and help to reduce thinning down of hair and add volume by thickening.
- How Does it Help: Increase the thickness of the hair.
- Sources in Food: Protein, zinc, magnesium, vitamins.
- How to Consume: They can be added to your regular diet.
17. Onions for Hair:
Onions for hair growth, to prevent hair loss is a less known fact among most people today. Onion for hair fall is a well-known remedy among many traditional societies. Adding onions to our regular diet is essential and known to reduce hair fall, strengthen hair follicles, moisturise hair, and reduce any infections and scalp concerns.
- How Does it Help: Reduce hair fall, strengthen hair and moisturise hair.
- Sources in Food: Iron, Vitamin C, folic acid, fibre, calcium, protein.
- How to Consume: Add it to a regular diet and salads.
18. Sweet Potatoes:
Do you have dry, dull hair with hair loss? Here is an ideal solution in the form of consuming sweet potatoes regularly to protect hair, reduce hair fall, increase moisture, keep hair well hydrated and nourish hair follicles and roots. The antioxidants present help the scalp to fight dryness and peeling issues. Beta carotene and vitamin A are immensely rich in this food.
- How Does it Help: Increase hydration, reduce dull and dry hair.
- Sources in Food: Vitamin A, proteins, calcium.
- How to Consume: It can be boiled and eaten as a snack.
19. Citrus Fruits for Healthy Hair:
Other fruits that should be in one’s list of foods to eat regularly or daily are citrus fruits. These fruits are rich in Vitamin C and should be added to a daily diet. They are high in collagen and nutrients, which makes hair strong and leads to quicker hair growth. Further, these help to nourish and make hair healthy.
- How Does it Help: Hair growth.
- Sources in Food: Vitamins, proteins, fibre.
- How to Consume: As fruit, in salads, and juice.
Carrot is a lesser-known vegetable to provide excellent hair care. The vitamin A in carrots stimulates the production of sebum and conditions the scalp. It helps to fight against hair loss. Add carrots to your regular diet to make hair thicker, longer, and shinier.
- How Does it Help: It combats hair loss and helps hair to grow.
- Sources in Food: Vitamin A, B, C and E, magnesium and phosphorus.
- How to Consume: Drink it as juice, or consume it as a vegetable.
Here are a few additional tips from us for better hair health and prevent hair fall.
- Avoid processed and junk foods as much as possible. There are no nutrients in those types of food and may cause adverse effects to the overall health of the hair.
- Apply oil regularly and massage hair to improve circulation and get better texture and growth.
- Prefer to have food which is rich in proteins, nutrients, vitamins, and calcium.
- Consume less sugar as excess consumption can damage hair follicles and accelerate hair loss.
- Alcohol can cause hair loss by preventing nutrients from being absorbed.
- Drink sufficient amount of water, and stay hydrated, as this will strengthen hair and help hair to grow.
Our hair, like our skin, needs equal care and attention. The condition of our hair reflects our health and needs a regular supply of key nutrients from the best foods for healthy hair. The growth of hair is from the roots, and the key to healthy hair is improving the health of the hair follicles and scalp. Eating a nutritious diet from foods to eat for healthy hair can boost hair, nail and skin health and these are needed for the hair to grow long and strong.