There are many diet plans in the market today, which promise to help you lose weight and stay healthy. One such diet program that has earned popularity across the world is the GM Diet plan or the General Motors Diet. This 7 day weight loss program was formulated by the General Motors Corp. way back in 1987 to improve the well-being and overall productivity of their employees.
The unconventional diet program claims to help you lose up to 7 kgs in just one week. This “quick weight loss in 7 days” concept has tempted many people to give it a shot. But, is it worth the hype? What are the rules of this diet? Are there any side effects?
Read along to find answers to all these questions!
What is GM Diet?:
General Motors Corp. introduced the GM Diet Plan in 1987 with an aim to improve the health and fitness of their employees. A unique 7-Day diet program was formulated to achieve this, where each day is dedicated to eating foods from specific food groups. The idea is to cut down the overall carbohydrate and fat content from the daily diet to benefit the body in numerous ways like – weight loss, body detox and improved psychological health.
Is GM Diet Healthy?:
The GM Diet is based on the principle of consuming lesser calories than your body needs to promote better weight loss results. Unlike the other diet programs in which you will either starve or eat a bland, tasteless diet, GM diet is filled with tasty, healthy foods. At no point during the program, will you go hungry or dissatisfied!
The plan covers main food groups like fruits, vegetables, meat, whole grains etc. along with mandatory 6-8 glasses of water per day. The versatile program also allows you to experiment with recipes to suit your individual diet needs.
Despite having its share of disadvantages, the GM diet is a healthy way to lose weight without affecting your physical and mental health.
How Does It Work?:
During the 7 Day GM diet weight loss program, you will reduce the overall calorie intake by cutting down on carb-rich and high-fat foods. Following this diet plan in conjunction with a mild to moderate exercise can speed up the fat-burning process in the body. Additionally, high water consumption can flush out the toxins and increase the metabolic rate for faster digestion.
This is why you tend to lose a large chunk of weight so quickly in just one week.
Benefits of GM diet Program:
Listed below are some of the key advantages of following the 7-Day GM diet Program:
- It does not involve difficult rules, which makes it suitable for people with busy routines
- You get to eat a variety of natural, healthy food during the 7 days.
- Results are almost instant, and you can notice quick transformation within a week
- There is a scope for experimenting with ingredients and recipes while sticking to the original guidelines
- The diet doesn’t encourage starvation and satisfies your hunger cravings at all times
- All the foods mentioned in the meal plan are easily available in your neighborhood stores
- In addition to weight loss, you are likely to feel energetic by the end of the program. You can also notice a healthy glow on your skin.
- You will able to overcome digestive problems like constipation, poor metabolism etc. with this diet plan
GM Diet Foods List:
As mentioned earlier, each day of the 7 Day Diet program prescribes eating foods from specific groups like fruits, vegetables, cereals etc. The idea is to transition from a sweet, fiber rich diet on Day 1 to a high-protein, feast on the seventh day. So, let us take a peek into the day-wise schedule of the GM diet plan:
- 1st Day: Only Fruits like Melons, Oranges, Apples etc. Bananas and Pear are not allowed.
- 2nd Day: Only Vegetables like Cabbage, Potatoes, lettuce, greens, onions etc. Corn, Peas, Lentils etc. are not allowed.
- 3rd Day: A mix of fruits and vegetables, except bananas and potatoes.
- 4th Day: Only Milk and Bananas
- 5th Day: Two Portions of Beef/Chicken/Fish, 6 whole tomatoes, cottage cheese or brown rice for vegetarians.
- 6th Day: Two portions of Beef/Chicken/Fish, Vegetables except Tomatoes and Potatoes
- 7th Day: Fruits and Vegetables, Brown Rice, Fruit Juices, Cottage Cheese etc.
In addition to these foods, you are allowed to consume 2-3 bowls of tasty and nutritious GM Diet Soup to satisfy your hunger levels, guilt-free!
GM Diet Plan – Day-wise Sample Meal Charts:
Before we look into the Day-wise GM Diet Chart for weight loss, let us first go through a list of points to follow before kick-starting the program:
Points to Follow Before Starting the GM Diet Weight Loss Program:
- Stock up on plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to last for atleast 2-3 days. This can save you a lot of time.
- Prepare the GM Diet Soup in large quantities so you can have it whenever hungry.
- Keep heavy, starch rich foods like Potatoes, meat, rice etc. to the first part of the day.
- Stay away from junk food, sweets or any other items that can distract you from meeting your goals.
- Plan your meals ahead of the day to enjoy a seamless, stress-free experience
- Drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water per day. This is very much needed for your system to function well.
- Maintain a positive mindset throughout the program and enjoy the journey instead of stressing about the results.
Day-Wise Sample Meal Plans for GM Diet:
1. GM Diet Day 1 – Fruits:
Day 1 of the GM Diet plan is all about eating fruits. Watermelons, apples, oranges, papaya, musk melons are highly recommended on Day 1, as they rich in dietary fiber. Stay away from Bananas, Custard Apples, Pears etc.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 1:
- Breakfast: One apple or one cup melon or one orange, with 1-2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack: ½ Bowl of muskmelon slices
- Lunch: One bowl of cut watermelon with 1-2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: One plum or orange or sweet lime or one glass of coconut water
- Dinner: ½ cup Watermelon
On Day 2, you can binge on an unlimited quantity of raw, boiled, cooked or roasted vegetables. This is a refreshing change from the sweet, all-fruit diet you had on Day 1. Choose a variety of veggies like cabbage, potatoes, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, etc. rich in starch, dietary fiber and essential nutrients. Avoid foods like corn, peas, carrots etc. as they will interfere with the detox process.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 2:
- Breakfast: One medium-sized boiled potato without salt. Consume 1-2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack: 1 Cup diced cucumber
- Lunch: 1 Big Bowl Mixed Veg Salad with little salt, pepper and lime juice
- Evening Snack: One portion of steam cauliflower or broccoli
- Dinner: Roasted vegetables like mushroom, zucchini, bell peppers, herbs etc. with added pepper, lime juice
3. GM Diet Day 3 – Fruits and Vegetables:
On the third day of the GM Diet plan, you get to eat a healthy blend of fruits and vegetables. Try to include a variety of these foods to cover all the important nutrients. The list of ‘allowed’ and ‘not allowed’ foods will remain the same as Day 1 and Day 2. Potatoes and Bananas are a strict NO on this day.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 3:
- Breakfast: ½ Cup of Watermelon or Muskmelon
- Mid-Morning Snack: 1 Cup of Cherry Tomatoes or 3-4 slices of Guava
- Lunch: One bowl of mixed fruit or vegetable salad with a pinch of chat masala and lemon juice
- Evening Snack: ½ Cup of Kiwi or Melon or a few stalks of blanched Broccoli
- Dinner: Roasted Vegetables like mushrooms, capsicum, celery, cauliflower etc. with some black pepper and lemon juice
Day 4 is considered to the most challenging part of the 7 Day program. Today, you are allowed to eat only bananas and milk, which can take a toll on your stomach, as well as your mind. The saving grace is the GM Diet soup which you can have whenever you’re hungry. Bananas are rich in potassium, sodium, pectin, etc., while milk offers Calcium and Vitamin D to your nutrition deprived body.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 4:
- Breakfast: 1-2 Bananas with one glass of warm milk
- Mid-Morning Snack: 1 Banana and 1-2 glasses of water
- Lunch: Milkshake prepared with Bananas and Milk.
- Evening Snack: 1 serving of frozen banana ice cream (homemade without cream or additives)
- Dinner: 1-2 Bananas with warm milk
5. GM Diet Day 5 – Meat, Tomatoes, Brown Rice:
The fifth day of the GM Diet program comprises of a healthy portion of meat like beef/chicken/fish for non-vegetarians, along with Tomatoes. Vegetarians can replace meat with cottage cheese and brown rice. This meal plan aims to replenish the body with health proteins, essential fats like omega acids lost during the first 4 days. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas are not allowed on Day 5.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 5:
- Breakfast: 1 portion grilled beef/chicken/warm tomato soup with cottage cheese chunks
- Mid-Morning Snack: 1 Bowl GM Diet soup or 1 glass plain water
- Lunch: ½ Tomato Brown Rice Pulao or one chicken/beef patty with tomato slices
- Evening Snack: 1 Bowl GM Diet soup or 1 glass plain water
- Dinner: ½ cup Brown rice with roasted tomatoes or one cup of chicken/beef soup with tomatoes
6. GM Diet Day 6 – Meat, Vegetables, Brown Rice:
On the 6th day of the GM diet program, you can enjoy some savoury dishes made with meat, vegetables and brown rice. This way, your body can get back the proteins, vitamins and minerals lost during the first few days. The meal plan is also designed to restore normalcy to your system and prepare you for your regular routine.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 6:
- Breakfast: One or two chicken/beef cutlet/grilled paneer with one bowl of vegetable salad
- Mid-Morning Snack: 1 glass lemon water or plain water
- Lunch: 1 portion beef/chicken patty/veg pulao made with semi-brown rice. You can add one portion of grilled vegetables with some sprouts
- Evening Snack: 1 glass plain water or coconut water
- Dinner: 1 portion of beef/chicken/paneer kebabs with one bowl of diet soup
7. GM Diet Day 7– Fruits, Vegetables, Brown Rice:
The seventh day marks the end of the GM diet weight loss program. On this day, you can treat yourself to some comforting food that consists of all your favorite fruits, vegetables and rice. Apart from whole fruits, you can also consume fruit juices for instant energy and hydration. The idea to get back to ‘normal’ eating habits and indulge in a tasty, balanced diet.
Here is the GM Diet Sample Menu of Day 7:
- Breakfast: One cup of brown rice with a bowl of boiled vegetables.
- Mid-Morning Snack: 1 glass watermelon juice
- Lunch: 1 veg pulao or rice pancakes with vegetables and sprouts salad
- Evening Snack: 1 glass orange juice or a whole fruit like apple
- Dinner: 1 big bowl of GM diet soup or a bowl of stir fried vegetables
GM Diet Wonder Soup Recipe:
The GM Diet wonder soup is a tasty and healthy alternative to solid foods. You can consume this soup to curb your hunger levels and feel satisfied at any time of the day. The best part is that this soup is rich in essential vitamins and minerals but very low in calories. So, you can binge on it as much as you want to.
Here is the recipe for the GM Diet Wonder Soup:
- Cabbage – 1
- Tomato – 3 Medium Sized
- Onions – 6
- Green Peppers- 2
- Celery – 1 Bunch
- Water – ½ Liter
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt and Pepper – As per taste
- Chop all the vegetables
- Take a pan and saute the veggies in some olive oil
- It is recommended to brown the onions and peppers for some extra flavour
- Now add water, salt and pepper
- Boil until all the vegetables are cooked thoroughly
NOTE: You can add garlic, ginger and other herbs to spruce up the dish. However, this is the base soup recipe formulated originally.
Side Effects of GM Diet Plan:
Although the GM diet plan sounds appealing for its claim of 7 kg weight loss in 1 week, it has its share of risks listed below:
- The diet is high in dietary fiber, but low in other vital nutrients like Protein, healthy fats, carbohydrates, minerals etc. This leads to a deprivation of nutrition required for the active functioning of your body.
- The GM diet cannot be a long term strategy to lose weight. It can also be used as a mechanism for meeting short term weight loss goals.
- Once the GM diet program is completed, you may quickly go back to your original weight if you resume your regular eating habits.
- As the body is deprived of calories during the 7 days, it learns how to conserve energy. Once you start pumping up calories, this mechanism may lead to weight gain and fat deposits in the body.
- Since the diet comprises of nutrients like iron, folate etc. some people may experience temporary hair loss.
- The diet can lower your metabolic rate, which can cause weight gain in future.
- Most people experience symptoms like muscle weakness, dehydration, fatigue, headaches, stomach upset, lack of concentration etc.
- This diet is not suitable for young children who are obese, pregnant women or adults with pre-existing illnesses like hypertension, diabetes, heart problems, arthritis etc.
We hope this article helped you understand about the GM Diet plan in detail. Before starting this program, it is advisable to consult a nutritionist or a health expert to know its suitability to your body. Even after the program, you must continue to follow the moderate eating practices and an active lifestyle to manage your weight.
DISCLAIMER: The content written in this article is purely for the informational purpose(s) only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Before trying out any new diet plan, including the one mentioned in this article, you must seek the advice of a physician or a trained medical practitioner.
1. Can I have tea or coffee during GM diet?
Ans: No! Caffeine drinks like tea and coffee are strictly not allowed during the GM diet plan. Instead, you can have herbal tea without added sugar or sweetener. This is to avoid the interference of caffeine with your metabolism and digestive system.
2. What kind of exercises are recommended during GM diet?
Ans: It is better to take up light to moderate exercises like walking, cycling, jogging etc. especially during the first 4-5 days of the program. Exerting yourself without proper carbohydrates and protein foods can weaken the body and damage your morale as well.
3. How much weight will I lose with the GM diet?
Ans: The original GM weight loss program promises to help you lose atleast 10-17 lbs a week, which is roughly 4kgs to 7kgs. These results vary from person to person, depending on their age, health condition, physical activity and original weight before the diet plan.