The GM or General Motors diet plan is famous for claiming to help you lose 15 to 17 lbs weight in seven days. The employees of General Motors tried this diet and lost a lot of weight in just a week, making the fad popular. However, losing weight so quickly is not safe, as per new studies, and there is no scientific evidence to prove the efficiency of the GM diet. Therefore before you jump the horses, go through this article to learn everything about the GM diet plan and how you can follow it efficiently to get results.
What is GM Diet?
The GM diet is a seven-day diet plan that aids in quick weight loss—created by General Motors in 1985 to help weight loss in its employees. On different days, the employees of the General Motors company consumed low-calorie food groups. As a result, the employees lost up to 17lbs by the end of the first week. The triggering point for the weight loss is the employee’s consumption of low-calorie food groups.
Is 7 Day GM Diet Effective for Weight Loss?
A very low-calorie diet can be effective if you want to lose weight quickly. However, although the 7-day GM diet plan for weight loss is effective, it is tough to follow and might not be safe in the long run. But here are some of the factors which are believed to play a role in making the GM diet efficient in helping you lose weight:
It is low in calories: Calculating the number of calories you consume and the number of calories you burn plays an important role in weight loss. Your body shifts to a negative energy balance when you consume fewer calories, making you lose weight.
1. Boosts Metabolism:
The GM diet chart plan is believed to keep your body in a fat-burning mode by boosting your metabolism. However, there is no scientific proof backing the claim.
2. Provides Good Detox:
Staying hydrated and consuming healthy food helps you flush toxins from your body.
3. Includes Negative Calorie Foods:
Negative calorie foods help you lose weight by burning calories even when you eat, digest and process. Unfortunately, although it sounds good, the term ‘negative calorie foods are not supported or believed by dieticians and nutritionists.
4. Improves Digestion:
The dietary fibre present in the fruits and vegetables in the GM diet chart improves digestion and bowel movements efficiently.
Read: GM Diet 7 Day Plan Non Vegetarian
7-Day GM Diet Plan Chart:
GM diet meal plan focuses on the consumption of low-calorie foods along with complex carbs. This can result in a significant weight loss in a week combined with an increased water intake. Here is the simple 7-day GM diet plan you can follow to lose weight:
1. GM Diet Day 1 – Fruits:
- Breakfast: One bowl of mixed berries or 1 medium apple.
- Mid-Morning Snack: One orange or a bowl of cantaloupe.
- Lunch: One bowl of watermelon.
- Evening Snack: One orange.
- Dinner: One bowl of Kiwi or one pear.
- Late Night Snack: One bowl of mixed berries.
2. GM Diet Day 2 – Vegetables:
- Breakfast: One sweet potato or one baked potato.
- Mid-Morning Snack: One bowl of cabbage.
- Lunch: A mixed salad of lettuce, carrots, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Evening Snack: One bowl of raw or steamed broccoli.
- Dinner: One bowl of arugula with asparagus or a bowl of kale.
- Late Night Snack: One bowl of sliced cucumbers.
3. GM Diet Day 3 – Fruits and Vegetables:
- Breakfast: One bowl of watermelon or One apple.
- Mid-Morning Snack: One bowl of cherry tomatoes.
- Lunch: Mixed salad.
- Evening Snack: A bowl of sliced cucumbers.
- Dinner: One bowl of strawberries on the side with One kale salad with cucumbers and carrots.
- Late Night Snack: One apple.
4. GM Diet Day 4 – Bananas and Milk:
- Breakfast: One glass of milk with two bananas.
- Mid-Morning Snack: One glass of banana and skim milk smoothie.
- Lunch: One bowl of soup.
- Evening Snack: One glass of banana and skim milk smoothie.
- Dinner: One banana with wonder soup.
Read: GM Diet Plan Veg
5. GM Diet Day 5 – Meat, Tomatoes, Brown Rice:
- Breakfast: Two whole tomatoes with 5 to 6 servings of meat.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Freshly pressed tomato juice or wonder soup.
- Lunch: Two whole tomatoes with 7 to 8 oz serving of meat.
- Evening Snack: Freshly pressed tomato juice or wonder soup.
- Dinner: Two whole tomatoes with 5 to 6 servings of meat.
- Late Night Snack: Freshly pressed tomato juice or wonder soup.
6. GM Diet Day 6 – Meat, Vegetables, Brown Rice:
- Breakfast: One bowl of vegetables with 5 to 6 oz servings of meat.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Wonder soup.
- Lunch: One bowl of vegetables with 7 to 8 oz serving of meat.
- Evening Snack: Wonder soup.
- Dinner: One bowl of vegetables with 7 to 8 oz serving of meat.
- Late Night Snack: Wonder soup.
7. GM Diet Day 7– Fruits, Vegetables, Brown Rice:
- Breakfast: One orange or a bowl of watermelon with a bowl of brown rice.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Wonder soup or berries, citrus fruits.
- Lunch: One glass of sugar-free fruit juice and one bowl of brown rice.
- Evening Snack: Wonder soup or berries, citrus fruits.
- Dinner: One bowl of raw or cooked vegetables with a bowl of brown rice.
- Late Night Snack: Wonder soup or berries, citrus fruits.
- On day 5 and day 6, Vegetarians can use cottage cheese or brown rice instead of meat.
- Drinking 8 to 12 glasses of water daily is recommended.
Do’s and Don’ts of Your GM Diet Success:
Here are some of the dos and don’t’s you need to keep in mind for the success of the GM diet.
- It is necessary to eat different foods each day which will make sure you have a nutritious and well-balanced diet. This will help you lose weight by eliminating toxins from your body.
- The GM diet recommends staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water to help your body eliminate toxins.
- It is imperative to follow this diet very diligently for efficient results.
- Cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, carrot, onions, and bell peppers are some of the recommended vegetables.
- Following the GM diet plan should include watermelon, melons of all kinds, cantaloupe, oranges, berries, apples, bananas, litchi and mangoes.
- In the GM diet, it is recommended to avoid tea and coffee, whereas only black coffee and green tea are allowed.
- By following the GM diet, it is necessary to eat small portions frequently to avoid cravings.
- It is advised not to follow the GM diet plan for long. Before resuming the diet, keeping a gap of at least five to seven days is also recommended.
- While following the GM diet, one shouldn’t do any rigorous exercise. Only 45 minutes of walking has been advised for the last four days.
- Avoid processed and packaged foods along with cheese and oils.
- While following the GM diet, alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited.
- People under medication, diabetic patients, children, and pregnant women are not advised to follow the DM diet.
- It is advised to avoid dry fruits. However, leaving our potatoes and bananas, you can have any fruits and vegetables.
Read: 7-Day Indian GM Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Benefits of GM Diet Program:
There are several benefits and risks associated with the GM diet plan. Here is the list of all the benefits of the General Motors diet plan. However, it is essential to keep in mind that there is no scientific proof to back the claims:
- GM diet includes primary foods like fruits and vegetables, which can benefit your body. Fruits and veggies are low in calories and high in fibre which makes you feel full for longer and suppress fat accumulation in the body (1).
- Restricting added sugar or beverages, including alcohol, is another benefit of the GM diet.
- Following the GM diet can also improve the appearance and quality of your skin.
- It helps enhance mood.
- It improves metabolism and digestion.
- It helps detoxify your body by eliminating toxins.
- It might also help cure constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
Side effects of GM Diet:
Although many people might find the GM diet beneficial, here are some side effects this diet has:
- There is no scientific proof.
- It doesn’t result in long-term weight loss.
- It lacks nutrients.
- It causes muscle loss.
- It might result in mood swings.
- It causes fatigue and tiredness.
The GM diet plan effectively loses weight rapidly and is a week-long low-calorie diet strategy. However, this diet plan lacks scientific evidence and is considered a fad diet not backed by dieticians. Moreover, many miss out on the essential nutrients because the diet mainly comprises vegetables and fruits. In contrast, the diet only allows non-vegetarian foods on the fifth and sixth days. If you wish to shed flab healthy, consult a dietician for a well-designed and customized diet plan. Don’t forget to let us know if you find the article helpful!
Read: What Are the Side Effects of GM Diet?
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based purely on research and is not a replacement for professional advice. You can always consult your doctor or health care professional before adding anything to your diet. Furthermore, the website is not responsible for the authenticity and accuracy of the information.
Q1. What is a GM diet wonder soup?
Ans: A simple, clear soup made with celery, carrots, tomatoes and cabbage is called the GM diet wonder soup. This soup can be prepared quickly, is low in calories and tastes good.
Q2. Can you lose belly fat by following the GM diet plan?
Ans: Yes! Following the GM diet plan, you will see a significant belly fat reduction and overall weight loss.
Q3. Is the use of salt-restricted in the GM diet?
Ans: It is necessary to consume salt, especially sea salt, to prevent electrolyte imbalance since you will be consuming a lot of fluid. However, make sure you don’t overdo it.
4 comments on "7 Day GM Diet Plan, Benefits and Risks of the GM Diet Chart."
Hi Is it safe for nursing mom to use this?
It is not safe for nursing mothers.
Can i eat 1 bowl of GM soup everyday?
Yeah. Gm soup is good for health.
Comments are closed.