Found out that you are pregnant? Instead of being happy, are you feeling disappointed and nervous? You are not alone! Many women go through the same emotions when they are underprepared for a baby, either physically or psychologically. Whether it is for a lucrative career or ill health or any other reason, abortion can give you a way out of unwanted pregnancy.
If you are willing to take that route, then this article serves as an extensive guide to help you better prepare for it. You may opt between the two types of Abortion methods – medical and surgical procedures, self-abortion using home remedies. Let us learn in-depth about both of them to outweigh the potential benefits, risks and side effects. Also, get an understanding of home remedies for abortion and post-recovery tips.
let’s learn some quick facts about natural ways on how to abort a pregnancy at home quickly and its legal terms and conditions in India.
- What is Abortion
- Abortion Right?
- Average Rate of Abortion In The World?
- Is Abortion Legal In India?
- Recover After An Abortion?
Do Doctors Support Home Abortions?
We have studied real conversations between certified doctors and their patients to determine if the medical institutions really support home remedies for abortions. Here is what we could infer:
-> Women with a pregnancy of 8 weeks asked a few gynecologists if they can follow any safe home remedy to abort the fetus. They are worried about approaching a clinic due to societal pressures and fear of disclosure. This is the common response from most of the doctors:
Abortions using home remedies are not only ineffective but also dangerous. Lack of proper knowledge can threaten a woman’s health and lead to unwanted complications. Medical abortions are safe, legal and result-oriented.
-> Some other women approached a few doctors with questions on the efficacy of raw papaya and cinnamon for pregnancy. They believe that these methods are natural and so, have minimal risks. But, doctors say otherwise!
Remedies like Papaya and Cinnamon are highly prone to failure and work only in 1-2 cases. The only way to ensure a successful pregnancy is to approach a doctor and seek their advice on the abortion process.
-> A few patients tested positive for pregnancy using a home pregnancy kit. They asked the doctors if this test is enough to proceed for an abortion? If yes, what is the right way to do it?
Home Pregnancy Kit uses your urine sample to confirm a pregnancy. However, they often give misleading results like false-negative or false-positive. This means, the women may be pregnant, but the results show otherwise or vice versa. To be on the safer side, you must get an ultrasound scan done at a doctor’s clinic to know your pregnancy status and the age. Based on this, suitable procedures will be suggested by the doctor.
10 Best Home Remedies for Unwanted Pregnancy
If you are interested in learning about what are the natural abortion methods to perform at home, we have put together 10 risk-free home remedies to cause abortion during 1st and 2nd trimester of pregnancy. Here are the details:
Are Home Remedies Effective in Abortion?
Non-surgical methods are natural ways of abortion when there is limited access to hospitals or health care units. Most of the home remedies to abort pregnancy are not backed with any scientific evidence and are merely based on personal experiences of certain individuals. These remedies use herbs and natural ingredients which have the efficacy to trigger an abortion. However, their safety and effectiveness remain largely under debate, as some of the herbal methods have life-threating risks.
Here are the potential hazards of using home remedies for abortion:
- Heavy bleeding caused due to incomplete or missed abortion.
- Infections, if any external tools are inserted
- Toxicity due to overdosage of herbal concoctions
- Contamination of ingredients
In short, natural abortion methods are not free from dangers. It is therefore recommended to seek the doctor’s advice unless you do not have medical facilities at the place where you live.
1. Abortion Fruit:
Papaya is one of the most widely used home remedies for unwanted pregnancy. While both ripe and raw papaya is consumed for abortion, it is the raw one that is more potent. The unripe fruit contains a white fluid called Latex which contains high amounts of prostaglandin and oxytocin. These agents have shown abortion-inducing properties, which reduce when the fruit gets ripened. No wonder why pregnant women are advised to stay away from it until childbirth.
2. Natural Abortion Juice:
Pineapple is one of the good home remedies for abortion. As per studies, Pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain, which is known to soften the cervix for expelling the fetus out. This may work only in the early stage of pregnancy. Also, there is no proper evidence on the efficacy of pineapple fruit or juice, while certain studies showed that pineapple(1) extract has a uterotonic activity.
3. Abortion Seeds:
Sesame seeds are considered to be one of the safest Indian home remedies for abortion. They are soaked overnight and consumed along with honey for fast results. Although there is no sufficient evidence on their effectiveness, it is believed that a certain dose of sesame seeds can increase body heat to stimulate contractions. Unlike the other home remedies, this ingredient is largely free from side effects, unless it is taken in exceptionally high amounts.
4. Abortion Leaves:
Parsley(2) is considered to be the best home remedy for abortion. Many people believe that Parsley tea is a herbal abortion method, which when taken in some doses can trigger contractions and eliminate the fetus. Certain studies showed that the herb did contribute to abortion, but also showed many toxic effects due to its volatile oils. Cases were also reported world-wide where women lost their lives after attempting to use Parsley for this purpose. It is also dangerous to put Parsley leaves in your vaginal area to stimulate uterine spasms.
5. Abortion Vitamins:
We all know that Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and immune booster. As per a Russian journal of 1970, the abortifacient side of this nutrient was revealed after a thorough study. It is known that taking high amounts of Vitamin C supplements led to a sudden pump of oestrogen levels in the body, leading to a miscarriage.
6. Abortion Plant:
Acacia is a type of flowering plant and its pods are a natural treatment for abortion. While there is no strong published evidence on the way it works, many people use a blend of acacia pods with banana shoots for faster results. Both the ingredients are sundried in equal quantities and powdered. This blend must be mixed with sugar and consumed many times until the bleeding starts. Again, there is no guarantee on its safety and effectiveness of this remedy.
7. Abortion Tea:
Along with calming your body and mind, Chamomile tea is one of the safe, natural remedies for abortion. This herbal remedy for abortion contains thujone, which can induce early contractions when taken in large amounts. So, you must consume at least 3 cups a day to see the effect.
8. Home Abortion Herb:
Cinnamon is one of the effective home remedies for unwanted pregnancy. In many parts of the world, women take strong cinnamon tea to induce early labor. The results are attributed to the powerful agents present in this spice. However, you must strictly stay away from Cassia Cinnamon, which is the more toxic variety, due to the presence of high amounts of Coumarin.
9. Abortion Berries:
As per the Chinese, Goji berries are believed to be one of the most potent self-abortion remedies. These berries contain high amounts of Betaine and other compounds which can lead to miscarriages. What you also need to know about these fruits is their harmful effects on your overall health and kidneys. It is important to consult a trained expert on the safe dosage of these berries to avoid unwanted health complications.
10. Hot Bath:
Along with helping you to relax, a hot water bath is the best home remedy to cause abortion. As per a study, women who used a hot tub during the first trimester had more likelihood of abortion. The idea is to increase the overall temperature, instead of just the abdominal region for better results. However, care must be taken not to go beyond 101 degrees F or 38 Degree Celsius temperature and not spend more than 10 minutes in the water.
11. What Foods Can Abort Pregnancy?
Apart from the remedies mentioned above, consuming certain foods may give you a self-induced abortion. However, there are no empirical proofs on how these foods work, the rate of success and safety. So, it is better to check with a doctor before trying them at home:
- Sea Food: It is believed that consuming high amounts of Crabs, fish, prawns, etc., during pregnancy can shrink the uterus and cause bleeding due to abortion.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera contains anthraquinones, which are known to induce preterm contractions. Eating high amounts of this gel may give you a miscarriage.
- Caffeine Drinks: While a cup or two of coffee is largely risk-free, having an excess of caffeine-based drinks can dehydrate the body and lead to fluid loss. This, in turn, affects your pregnancy and can cause a natural abortion. While it is good for you in a way, the side effects of caffeine overdosage are unimaginable.
- Spices: Spices like peppermint, fenugreek, etc., can stimulate uterine contractions in early pregnancy. They can also cause severe bleeding due to dilation of blood. This happens only when they take in large doses.
- Acidic Fruits: Certain fruits like wild apples, citrus fruits are extremely sour due to high acidic content. Consuming them beyond the recommended dosage can trigger a miscarriage, along with causing many other gastrointestinal issues.
12. Exercises for Abortion Naturally:
Although exercises are recommended during pregnancy, there are certain poses that can cause natural abortion in women. Here are some of them:
- Weight Lifting: Lifting heavy weights can strain your skeletal system and stunt fetal growth, which can lead to a self miscarriage.
- Lying on Back: When you sleep on your back, the blood supply to the fetus gets decreased and slowly end your pregnancy. However, it may take a few days for the results to show and in the process, you might experience dizziness.
- Yoga: There are certain poses in Yoga which can terminate your pregnancy. Asanas that involve jumping, twisting, compressing of organs, extreme stretching and inversion of the body can cause extreme stress to the lower half of your body. Along with that, they lead to a supply of deoxygenated blood to the uterus can lead to abortion.
There are also other exercises like situps, crunches, etc., which are used by many women to get rid of unwanted pregnancy. However, it is not known whether these poses can give you a complete abortion. If they fail, then there is a high likelihood that you may give birth to a defective or crippled baby. So, don’t perform them unless guided by a trained expert.
NOTE: These home remedies for unwanted pregnancy may work only in the early stages (1-12 weeks). You can try them for a week or so and if they do not work, it is not worth taking the risk. Immediately check with your doctor on medical abortion procedures. Also, if you suspect a missed or incomplete abortion, don’t neglect and clearly tell your doctor about it.
1. What Is Abortion:
Abortion is a deliberate attempt to expelling the fetus or embryo before it takes birth as an alive child. The other names for abortion are termination and feticide.
(Abortion Vs Miscarriage)
In human beings, the whole gestation period is about 39 weeks, during which the first 8 weeks is the embryo stage, and the rest is the fetal stage. Certain women may have a natural abortion, called “miscarriage” when the embryo or fetus gets expelled naturally. The actual term of abortion is applicable only when it is externally induced by specific methods, to terminate pregnancy voluntarily. This can be done before the stage of viability, which is 20 weeks or fetal weight <500 gms
Talking of abortion, we also need to understand the terms – Complete abortion and Missed abortion.
- A Complete abortion occurs when the fetus totally comes out of the womb and is referred to as a successful case.
- In Missed abortion, the entire fetus or parts of it remain inside the womb, giving rise to infections. In this case, surgical intervention is a must!
2. History of Abortion:
If you thought abortion is a modern-day concept, you are so wrong! The earliest known cases of voluntary abortion also called induced abortion, were recorded during the Egyptian era. Harsh non-surgical practices like strenuous labor, pouring hot water on the abdomen, etc., were employed, which resulted in untimely deaths of the women. However, with observation and advancement of medical knowledge, these barbaric practices gave way to proven scientific methods.
In fact, many historians opine that abortion during the 1920s was a lethal procedure compared to the actual birth process itself. It was only after this period that the concept of safe abortion was coined. Instead of the women attempting dangerous practices like stabbing, sitting on a boiling pot of water, etc., abortions were performed under the supervision of trained midwives. In the 1970s, medical abortion was first used in the United States, in which medicinal pills were used to abort the pregnancy.
Today, a wide variety of abortion procedures are made available to us, which are adopted based on the trimester and health condition of the mother or baby.
3. Is Abortion Right:
Putting aside the legal vs illegal aspects of abortion, many people opine that this practice involves a forceful termination of a precious human life and its future. That doesn’t mean abortions should be completely banned, as they can be justified only in certain situations when there is a danger to the life of a mother or potential risk to the baby. Any other reason, personal, financial or professional, is considered to be immoral and victimization of an innocent human being.
As they say “Prevention is better than cure”, an abortion is best prevented to safeguard your life and also save you from moral guilt. You can choose a safe contraceptive option like pills, condoms, etc., to lower the risk of unwanted pregnancies.
4. What Is the Average Rate of Abortion In The World:
It is complicated to comment on the abortion rates across countries in the world, as many nations in which abortions are illegal, do not document their numbers. According to the World Abortion Policies Reports of the UN, the abortion rate was measured by taking the number of abortions conducted on 1000 women, between 15-44 years of age group. This figure may be exclusive of Spontaneous abortions, which happen without any intervention and are called miscarriages in normal terms.
Quick Abortion Facts:
- A study revealed that Russia has the highest abortion rate, with 37.4 women terminating their pregnancies out of 1000 women. This nation was followed by Cuba with 28.9 and Kazakhstan with 27.4.
- In India, it’s even more shocking, as an alarming figure of about 15.6 million abortions per year was said to have reported by 2018. This number is way higher than the numbers in the U.S, which have significantly gone down from 1.4 million reported in 1990. Also, it is estimated that an average of 13 deaths happens due to abortion per day, due to unsafe and unhygienic practices.
5. Is Abortion Legal In India:
Until 1970, it was considered criminal to either support or try abortion and involves harsh punishments of upto 7 years of imprisonment and heavy fines. But, the question – Should abortion be legal in atleast admissible cases gave rise to the Abortion Law In India in 1971.
India is one among the many countries where abortion is legal, in certain circumstances. As per the abortion guidelines, a woman can choose to end her pregnancy before 20 weeks, when abortion is legal, using various procedures like pills or recommended methods by the WHO. After the period of 20 weeks, that is after the second trimester. Court permission is required to conduct abortion, stating valid reasons.
6. Main Causes of Abortion:
There are many reasons why Indian women undergo either a self-induced abortion or medical one, contributing to one of the highest infanticide rates in the world. A majority of them are selective sex abortions, after disclosure of the sex of fetus through scanning, despite stringent rules being passed against this process.
Other challenges could be
- financial problems
- lack of support at home
- forced sex
- teen pregnancies
- sex before marriage
- career challenges
- societal pressures
- unwillingness to take additional responsibilities.
7. Different Types of Abortion:
As discussed earlier, various abortion procedures are available within 20 weeks of pregnancy in India, which fall under these three categories:
- Safe-Abortion: It is performed by midwives, trained health professionals and proven medical methods.
- Less-Safe Abortion: Although performed using safe methods like pills, it is done without proper supervision and knowledge.
- Least-Safe Abortion: It involves life-threatening procedures like invasive abortion surgery using non-recognized methods.
Now that you have understood the classification of abortion, let us look into some of the Safe Abortion names and procedures conducted in India, along with details on the stage of pregnancy and cost:
1. Early Non-Surgical Abortion:
After confirmation of pregnancy through a preliminary home test or scan, you can opt for an early non-invasive method. A chemical abortion drug will be administered, which can result in pelvic pain, cramps, bleeding to eliminate the unborn fetus in a few hours.
- When Is It Possible? 2-10 Weeks of Pregnancy
- Time To Perform: Results can be within a day
- Approx.Cost: INR 500-1000
2. Vacuum Aspiration:
In this procedure, a local anesthetic is injected near the cervix area and a tube is inserted. The placenta is then sucked out with an abortion vacuum machine and the entire uterus is cleaned upto remove any traces.
- When Is It Possible? 2-12 Weeks of Pregnancy
- Time to Perform: 5-10 Minutes
- Approx.Cost: INR 2000-3000
3. Dilation and Evacuation:
The method is performed under general anaesthesia, after which the cervix is gently opened. Using abortion by suction and forceps, the fetus and placenta are removed from the uterus, which also involves mutilating the body of the child.
- When Is It Possible? 13-21 Weeks of Pregnancy
- Time to Perform: 30 Minutes
- Approx.Cost: INR 2000-30,000
4. Labor Induction:
In this method, the mother is admitted into the hospital and given a drug to induce early labor. The contractions develop in about 2-4 hours to push out the fetus. However, this needs to be followed by an abortion operation to remove any traces of placenta.
- When Is It Possible? 16-21 Weeks of Pregnancy
- Time to Perform: Involves 2-3 days of stay in the hospital and may take a few hours to perform.
- Approx.Cost: INR 5000-30,000
Once you cross the second trimester, getting an abortion can be difficult and dangerous for your body. Only in extreme unavoidable cases, a C-section is performed to expel the baby. You must note that the above methods of abortion and its types are performed under strict guidance and supervision of a doctor or trained health care professional.
8. Abortion Drugs In Alternative Medicines:
The abortion pills available in the market are from the Allopathy or English medicine, which use two different types of drugs – mifepristone and misoprostol. These are sold under various brand names., Alternate medicines like Homeopathy and Ayurveda also have different solutions for induced abortion.
See More: Unwanted 72
There are no over-the-counter Homeopathic remedies for abortion, as these are prescribed based on the health, age and current condition of the woman. Abortion by Ayurveda is also possible through a set of herbal blends that terminate pregnancy in the early stages. You can even check with the doctors to know about special herbal medicines for abortion.
9. After Abortion Symptoms:
How do you know that you have had a miscarriage? Are there any symptoms to watch out for? What is normal and what is not? Read on to know about them:
Signs Of Abortion:
Whether it is a natural miscarriage or a self-induced abortion, you are likely to experience these commonly found changes in your body.
- Medium To Heavy Bleeding, along with slight to severe spotting
- Severe Cramping in the lower abdominal region, which can go all the way to buttocks and vaginal area.
- Fatigue and extreme weakness
- Tenderness in the breasts
- Shooting pain in your back
And in extreme cases, you might also experience:
- Uncontrollable vomiting or nausea
- High Body Temperature
- Burning sensation in the urinary bladder
- Heavy Blood loss leading to haemorrhage
In both cases, you must immediately contact a doctor and seek proper medical attention on time.
10. Effects of Abortion:
As per studies, induced abortion, when performed under strict medical supervision is not likely to cause any serious, long term health effects.(3) However, in certain cases, a woman might have increased risk of these issues in the future:
- Mood Swings, Depression
- Pre-term labor in subsequent pregnancies
- Delayed Childbearing
- Higher chances of getting Breast Cancer (there is no concrete proof to this statement, and the linkage of elected abortion and cancer was observed in just a few cases)
- Deaths, in cases where abortion is performed under dangerous circumstances, half-knowledge or using unproven practices.
11. How To Recover After Abortion:
Abortion is a traumatic process which can take a severe toll on your body and mind. It is important to give yourself some time to come out of this episode and restore normalcy in your life. These tips can clear all your confusion regarding the do’s and don’ts after abortion:
- Rest is very important. Be sure to respect your situation and allow your body to recoup. Take a break from work or anything that can lead to stress.
- Strictly avoid strenuous, intense workouts for atleast two weeks post-abortion. If you want to exercise, take up lighter forms like meditation, pranayama, etc.,
- It is recommended to stay away from sexual intercourse for atleast two weeks, as your genitals may still be tender and it might lead to a painful experience. Also, the risk of contracting infections also goes higher during this time.
- Avoid going out for a week or two, until the bleeding subsides. You might experience a sudden gush of blood, which can lead to embarrassment and also fainting. Keep your pads ready and don’t use tampons to prevent the risk the infections.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water. Also, ask your doctor if you need iron supplements to cope up with the blood loss.
- A regular doctor checkup is a must, even if you start feeling fine.
- Most important of all is to get some support at home to cope up with hormone-related anxiety and emotional stress.
1. What is the legal age for abortion in India?
As per the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971 in India, abortion is permissible only within 20 weeks of pregnancy. Any attempt to terminate a pregnancy after 20 weeks is an illegal and criminal offense unless supported by a valid reason and court permission. Also, parental consent is needed for minor girls below 18 years to undergo a medical abortion.
2. What are the Abortion Limits For Woman In a Lifetime?
Women are fertile upto an average of 40 years. During this time, they can go for a safe, induced abortion of once or maximum twice (again, depends on the general health, circumstances and age). Going for multiple abortions may severely hamper the woman’s health and cause irreversible complications in the body.
3. Are there any abortion clinics in India?
As mentioned above, abortions are legal in India upto 20 weeks. So, any certified gynaecologist working in a recognized clinic or hospital can suggest pills or procedures to terminate a pregnancy. In case of minor girls or requests after 20 weeks, they must duly report to the law and seek legal permission to avoid violating the rules.
4. Will abortion affect my future pregnancy and periods?
If you had an abortion before, there are fewer chances of impact to future pregnancies. This, however, may vary case to case and in rare cases, you might have a challenging second pregnancy. After an abortion, the period cycles may go haphazard and it takes a few months to get regularized. If you face any of problems with bleeding or irregular periods, do consult a doctor.
5. Is Aspirin for abortion a safe method and does it work?
Aspirin is a drugstore analgesic that is used to treat body pains and inflammation. Many people claim that Aspirin can also work for terminating a pregnancy by using a few doses per day. This, however, lacks any valid evidence and is not recommended by any means. Also, a study shows that taking Aspirin 26 hours before the elective abortion procedure can lead to prolonged bleeding time and significant dangers.(4)
6. In Which Countries is Abortion banned?
As in 2019, there are twenty-six countries where abortion is illegal. They have strict anti-abortion laws that prohibit their citizens from making any attempts. These nations include El Salvador, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic and Vatican City.
7. Does Acupuncture for abortion really Work?
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine, which uses needles to stimulate organs. It is told that inserting needles in certain “forbidden” points can induce abortion and miscarriage in a woman. As per this theory, stimulation of Li-4, Sp-6 and Pericardium-6 with bladder 60 can increase the success rate of a medically induced abortion.
8. Can Sex during pregnancy lead to abortion?
There are many doubts about the role of sex in a miscarriage. Many people believe that having sex in the very early stages of pregnancy can cause abortion. However, the chances of this are very rare. Most miscarriages are caused by other issues. But, in women with Placenta Previa or low lying Placenta, it is best to avoid sex until the second trimester.
9. Are there any abortion quotes for tattoos?
Many women who have had an abortion use tattoo as a medium to express their inner emotions. Whether deliberate or involuntary, these quotes reveal their pain, guilt and grief associated with the entire process.
Here are some short quotes to use:
- “Gone for Now, But Never Forgotten”
- “You were Too Beautiful For This Earth”
- “Ever Connected By The Cord Of Love”
- “You Will Be Forever Missed”
- “Never Born, Always In My Heart”
We hope this comprehensive guide to abortion has given you a clear insight on all the possible areas of the topic. The main intention behind this article to bring awareness of abortion and break the myths around it. It is very important to gain a proper understanding of these methods and consequences before you make a decision. Just remember that abortion is not a desirable practice, and it’s no good to take a “second chance”!
None of the above remedies or medicines is proven to be 100% safe and effective in inducing a successful abortion. They are also not prescribed by any doctor or medical practitioner on paper. Therefore, it is very important to fully understand the pros and cons of each of these methods before trying them at home. As mentioned above, any overdose can lead to irreversible damage to your body and hence avoid having blind faith in them. By doing so, you are taking full responsibility for the consequences. It is always a good practice to go for medical care and intervention, unless and until you have restricted access to it. (5)(6)