Acidity is a very unpleasant feeling, usually caused due to indigestion. When the stomach acids or bile flows back into the esophagus it irritates the lining of the food pipe. This causes acidity or acid reflux. It can cause mild to severe burning sensation in the chest cavity after eating; lying down usually makes it worse. It is important to consume foods that can soak up this acid and help release the issue. There are many ways to treat this problem easily and rarely needs a professional help. Home remedies are the best ways to cure acidity and are the best first aid rescue.
Causes of Acidity:
There are many reasons that cause acidity, indigestion, heartburn or acid reflux. Here are some of them:
- Eating too fast
- Eating large and heavy meals
- Being obese
- Eating just before sleep time
- Eating food in lying down position
- Excess of some foods that are more acidic in nature like citrus, chocolates, fried foods, sweets, spices etc can cause acidity.
- Smoking and Alcohol
- Too much coffee, carbonated drinks or even tea
- It is common for a pregnant woman to experience acid reflux as the hormone progesterone causes the valve between stomach and the esophagus to relax which in turn causes acid reflux. Progesterone is also responsible to relax the uterine muscles to make space for the baby.
- Hiatal Hernia – In this case, due to the hernia, the acid moves from the diaphragm to the esophagus, causing irritation in the food pipe. This would require medical help.
Symptoms of Acidity:
1. Heart burn: heart burn is nothing but a burning sensation that occurs in the chest cavity. Heart burn essentially has nothing to do with heart, it is called so only because acidity causes pain in the chest.
2. Regurgitation: This is a sensation where the acid almost comes till the throat or mouth and backs up. It can produce a strong unpleasant sour or bitter taste. It can also cause vomit in many cases.
3. Burping: It is a common symptom of acidity. It could be a regular dry burp or can be a wet burp which could include some sour or bitter taste.
4. Stomach Bloating.
6. Abdominal pain.
Prevention of Acidity:
Here are some of the best ways to prevent acidity –
1. Since being obese is a major risk factor for acidity, it is a wise idea to work on loosing weight.
2. Eating healthy and avoid fried foods
3. Consuming very spicy foods can also lead to acidity and sometimes can also lead to stomach ulcers.
4. It is better to eat smaller meals at regular intervals instead of heavy meals.
5. Eat at least two hours before bed time. This will significantly reduce acidity problems.
6. Some medications can cause acidity. It is a good idea to check on them and try to look for an alternative.
7. Take a short walk or stay in upright position after meals. Lying down can cause acidity.
Natural Home Remedies for Acidity:
The medicinal benefit of basil leaves not only helps in curing acidity but also the feelings of nausea and gas. It is one of the best things to use when it comes to this health crisis. Basil has carminative properties which help soothe the stomach and gives instant relief from acidity. This is one of the best home remedies for acidity.
- You can either chew some fresh basil leaves or prepare a cup of basil tea by boiling it in water and having it with a little honey.
- As said in Hindu religion, it is not good to pull tulsi leaves after evening. So try and have it in morning itself or afternoon.
See More: Home Remedies For Obesity
2. Jaggery For Acidity:
Keeping a piece of jaggery in the mouth after every meal will ensure the treatment as well as prevention of acidity in one of the simple and easy ways. This is highly efficient and affordable on the pocket. This is one of the best home remedies for acidity that cure as early as possible. Jaggery is rich in magnesium which is very good for digestion. It is a power packed ingredient and has many nutritional values which are good for digestion and other ailments.
- To make it more tasty and presentable you can add sesame seeds to it and jaggery liquid in it. Then make square bars and eat anytime u want.
The antacid properties in the natural product we know as cinnamon really helps in the cure of acidity. Cinnamon tea can be prepared by boiling some cinnamon powder in water for a while and then consuming it in the case of acidity. This will treat the ailment. It can also help reduce other stomach related issues like bloating, stomach cramps, gas and belching.
This ingredient should however be tried with caution, as it doesn’t suit everybody. In some cases it worsens acidity. All the health benefiting properties are present in cinnamon. It also has many other nutrients.
See More: Food Poisoning Home Remedy
4. Fennel Seeds Benefits:
Take a cup of warm water and soak about 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds in it for an entire night. In the morning, strain the liquid, mix in a little honey and drink it for keeping acidity at bay in an effective way. This should be taken three times in a day. Fennel seeds have antispasmodic properties which helps heal stomach related issues.
Fennel seeds should be taken in moderate quantities especially by pregnant woman to avoid miscarriage.
- You can also consume raw fennel seed after your meal as it tastes good and prevents acidity.
- Fennel tea can also be made as it helps in bloating and indigestion.
The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger are good for acidity treatment. Ginger also neutralizes the levels of stomach acids. The main cause of acidity is inflammation in the food pipe; the anti-inflammatory property comes to rescue to heal the acidity. It has several health benefits and mainly helps reduce stomach related issues.
- Ginger tea can be prepared for the benefit or else one can chew on some ginger with salt.
- Another way is to extract ginger juice and take it with a little honey.
- You can use ginger as a garnishing element in salads and lentils.
See More: Gout Home Remedies
6. Have Water:
A simple way to treat acidity at home is to have plenty of water that will flush out the acids and toxins causing the issue. About 10-12 glasses throughout the day are recommended in this scenario for visible outcomes and other added benefits. A glass of lukewarm water will also help in instant outcomes. Drinking adequate water is extremely important to cure stomach acidity. This is the best home remedy for acidity and has absolutely no side effects.
- Water is very essential part in everyone life, by drinking plenty of water you can gain many benefits internally and externally in your body.
7. Buttermilk Cures Acidity:
Having a glass of freshly prepared buttermilk helps positively in acidity as well as gastric issues. The lactic acid in the liquid helps in bringing the stomach acid in proper control. A little black pepper and coriander leaves will only improve the results. Buttermilk soothes the stomach and gives a cooling effect. This will instantly flush out all the stomach acids as it neutralizes the stomach acids and relive from any discomfort caused due to acidity.
- Buttermilk is prepared from curd, by adding water to it. You may also add some pudhina and salt and powdered cumin seed for flavor.
- It can be used at any time of the day, there are no restriction on having it at anytime.
8. Cloves And Cardamom:
Powder one clove as well as a cardamom together and take this powder after each meal to not only treat acidity but also to prevent it well. This is another of the safe remedies that can be used without any doubt. This is one of the best and effective home remedy treatments for acidity problem for both men and women. Cloves are a natural carminative; it increases peristalsis, increases the production of saliva in the mouth and is very good for digestion.
- Eating cloves is also a ayurvedic remedy for heartburn.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar:
The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is what works wonders on acidity problems. About two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water can be consumed for treatment. One can also use white vinegar if apple cider is not available for the same aim. Apple cider vinegar helps balance the ph factor in the stomach and thus helps in neutralizing the stomach acids.
It is however to be taken in moderate levels with caution. It may or may not suit everyone. Further, It is important to dilute it with water.
10. Cumin Seeds:
This is considered as one of the best natural home remedies for acidity. Cumin seeds are those gifts of nature which acts as acid neutralizers. They can solve indigestion problems and can also relieve you from the stomach pain. The next time you’re experiencing a stomach pain because of acidity, try the cumin seed home remedy. Cumin seeds are the best and most easily available ingredient. They are the best for digestion and can be added in any recipe and it one of the best home remedies for acidity.
- You can roast some cumin seeds and them grind it a little, then add some water to it.
- You can have this mixture after every meal.
11. Cold Milk:
Apart from buttermilk, simple cold milk will help you with a number of acidity symptoms. It can make the stomach calm and can also provide the body with essential requirements during this period. Milk has the ability to stabilize the gastric acids present in the stomach and get rid of the acidity within no time. The soothing properties of milk can also make you feel better.
It is the best remedy for pregnant woman to cure acidity and indigestion instantly.
- You can also add some vanilla flavored ice cream to the cold milk.
- You can drink it at night before sleeping.
12. Jeera Home Remedy For Acidity:
Jeera contains the ability to relieve acidity instantly. This is one of the best natural remedies for acidity. Jeera can produce saliva which assists in better digestion. If you have proper production of saliva then you will never have digestion problems. Jeera can also provide you with better metabolism and can help you with gastric problems as well.
- Take some jeera and boil in water and then drink the solution after it is cooled. It will eliminate the concept of acidity from your stomach and will make you feel relaxed and relieved instantly.
Elaichi is yet another gift from Mother Nature which has many benefits according to Ayurvedic medicinal theories. It can stimulate digestion and remove all traces of acidity within the stomach. This is one of the best and easy ways to treat acidity. It is totally natural. It is so pure that this remedy has been claimed as one of the best natural remedies for acidity. Elaichi soothes the stomach and keeps it clean as well.
- You can add elaichi flavor to your cold milk also for good taste.
Here is yet another herb which will assist you with acidity issues. Pudina can prevent the spread of acidity in the stomach. According to Ayurvedic texts, pudina helps in digestion and has been used for ages. The benefits of this herb definitely should not be underestimated.
- Along with improving digestion, it can cool down the stomach and reduce the pain and burning sensation that we generally experience during acidity.
- Pudina or peppermint is also used in many popular recipes. The pudina chutney available in India is pretty popular and can remove acidity as well.
- You can also add it to salad dressing with sour cream or other dips.
Amla has tons of health benefits. It works great for removing acidity as well. Amla comes with good amounts of Vitamin C which is required by the body as well. It is good for soothing the injured stomach and removing any and all kinds of traces and effects of acidity from the stomach. One teaspoon of amla powder can prove to be one of the best home remedies for acidity. Next time, if you’re getting ambushed by acidity, trust amla and call for help.
- You can cut amla into small pieces and add some salt and turmeric to it. It is healthy and will relax your stomach soon.
16. Banana Remove Acidity Problem:
Banana has certain extraordinary benefits and is beneficial for treating acidity. It is actually one of the best acidity home remedies. This fruit comes with the valuable touch of nature and the beneficial properties of this fruit can assist you in fighting against cancer. Bananas are said to be rich in potassium and can keep a watch on the production of acid in the stomach. It also comes with some compounds which can stimulate the production of mucus in the stomach. Mucus protects the stomach from all kinds of internal harmful effects.
Banana’s are easily available everywhere and are really good for kids and pregnant women also as it is full of calcium, and while pregnancy one need calcium rich foods.
17. Aloe Vera Juice:
Aloe vera juice can turn out to be one of the best most successful home remedies for acidity. It can reduce the irritation in the belly which has been caused due to the acidity. It is anti-inflammatory and can reduce inflammation within no time.
- A glass of aloe vera juice in the morning will make you feel more alive.
- This is one of the most effective natural remedies for acidity. Say goodbye to acidity with aloe vera juice.
Yes. Chewing gum can get rid of acidity and it has been proven. A dental association has published a journal which states that people with acidity and the gastric issue should chew gum. A gum which is good for the teeth will take care of the teeth alongside providing relive from acidity.
- Since gum stimulates the production of saliva which further helps it digestion and fewer acidity problems.
- Proper digestion will reduce the gastric and acidity issues.
Along with improving your daily diet, you should also keep in mind that your body gets the required benefits of fruits. Apple comes with the goodness of nature and for its widespread uses, it is considered as one of the best fruits ever. An apple a day can keep the doctor away. You obviously have heard of it. Slice an apple and eat it without adding any flavorings. Eating an apple every morning might be one of the most health practices you can ever adapt. This is one of the best home remedies for acidity.
- You can even make apple squash by adding water salt and some more spices to it and drink it as a juice.
20. Avoid Tight Clothes:
When you’re dealing with acidity issues, try wearing loose and less fitted clothes. This will less pressure on the stomach and help with the acidity issues. It is one of the best ways to stay healthy during an acid attack in the stomach. People who wear tight fitted clothes more often should pay good attention to this particular point. This is one of the best natural remedies for acidity. Wearing tight clothes not only adds more pressure to the stomach, it also presses the intestines causing indigestion.
21. A Proper Weight:
For coming out of any illness, your weight plays a massive role. Believe it or not, maintaining proper weight (not too low not too heavy) will assist you in recovering quicker than you can even imagine. For getting well soon, a healthy weight is all you need. Being overweight instantly increases the chances of many health issues and the most common being indigestion and acid reflux. It is important to maintain a healthy weight for all the hormones to function normally.
- Not always true, but people with overweight tend to eat more and that may result in acidity, indigestion and bloating.
22. Avoid Alcohol:
Avoid alcohol while you’re dealing with acidity. This is one of the best natural remedies for acidity. Even as little as an ounce of alcohol is enough to create excess acid in the stomach. It is very acidic in nature and should be completely avoided for the stomach to heal properly. It also dries up moisture in the body causing dehydration. Further, It is essential to consume as much water to keep body hydrated. Alcohol triggers stomach pain and acidity more than any other cause.
- As you drink a few glasses of alcohol, you will be hungry and eat unhealthy food that is available. That will surely add to more problem within the abdomen.
23. Mustard Controls Acidity:
Say hello to mustard as it will be a savior during acidity. The ingredient mustard can cure your acidity problem effectively without side effects. It is one of the best and cheapest home remedies for acidity. Mustard seeds are full of minerals, has very light traces of acid in form of vinegar. It is alkaline in nature which is important to help digestion and release from acidity. A small teaspoon of mustard can be added to any dish or just gulp a teaspoon of the seeds for instant relief.
- You can even use mustard oil to cook food as the food cooked with mustard oil is very healthy. But one think should be kept in mind that not all people like the taste of it.
It has been proven that almonds can effectively provide great relieve from acidity issues. This is one of the best home remedies for acidity. Almonds are more alkaline in nature and are rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which are good for digestion process. Almonds and bananas are a perfect antidote to cure acidity. You can mix the two with cold milk and drink it like a smoothie. May be even adding a dash of honey for flavor may also help.
- You may also soak almonds overnight and peel the skin in the morning and eat it. It is said in India that soaked almond are more beneficial.
25. Dry Breads, Wheat Thin Crackers:
It is important to eat healthy to maintain a healthy gut. Wheat thins and breads are high in fiber and can potentially dry out the acid in the stomach and can help aide with acidity. Since the crackers are dry and base in nature, they will help soak up the stomach acids which release stomach pain. Just at them as is, best not to add any grease or any jam for flavor. Oily foods and sweets take more time to digest and hence will worsen the acidity problem.
These are some of the best home remedies for acidity which sports quite some beautiful benefits. These remedies have worked for people all around the globe and it is expected that they will work for you as well. One thing you will have to maintain that is continuity as you will not better in just one day. It is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a healthy weight to keep stomach ailments at the bay. All the home remedies listed above are tried and tested and most of them posses no potential side effect. They are all safe to use and are all very easily available.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Are stomach acids good?
Ans. Yes stomach acids to a moderate level are good and essential for digestion.
1. Stomach acids provide the first round of defense and protects against parasites and other pathogens. If the ph factor is high, that means acid is less, these parasites stay in the small intestines and create other stomach issues,
2. Stomach acids are also important to break down food and ease in digestion process. Breaking down food is important for the body to absorb all the nutrients.
3. If the stomach ph factor is very alkaline to start with, it is more difficult to digest the food.
Q2. Is yoga helpful to cure acidity?
Ans. There are many yoga poses that help soothe stomach pain caused due to acidity –
1. Cat Pose: Just stand on all fours and touch you knee to the ground. Now inhale and exhale deeply by bending the back mimicking the cat. This exercise is very good for blood circulation and manages the digestive system. This instantly relieves from acidity.
2. Downward Dog pose: stand on all fours and take deep breathes. This is very good to ease the center of the stomach and oxygenates the abdomen. This relieves burning sensation.
3. Child’s pose: This is the most comfortable pose and instantly releases bloating and acidity.
Q3. What foods cause Acid Reflux?
Ans. There are many foods that instantly cause acidity or acid reflux –
1. Alcohol especially Red wine causes acidity.
2. Citrus fruits like Lemons, oranges are high in acids and hence cause acidity.
3. Fried foods take longer to digest, and can cause acidity and indigestion immediately.
4. Chocolate: Chocolates are acidic in nature and hence can cause acidity
5. Black pepper when taken in high quality can irritate the valve and cause acidity
6. Garlic has many healing properties but should be consumed in moderation to avoid acidity
7. Raw onions: always better to use cooked onions as raw onions are more acidic.
8. Spicy foods, Coffee, Tea and carbonated drinks also cause acidity.