Constipation is a condition where in people find it difficult to pass stools is suffering from hardened stools. It is usually caused due to unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise. Constipation arises due to slow movement of waste materials through the large intestine. In some cases people find it difficult to expel the feces and can also face other digestive problems. If not treated in time constipation can lead to hemorrhoids and piles which are a more serious condition. Home remedies are always the best and natural method to treat constipation. They are all effective, easily available, natural and efficient. It is important to treat constipation in time as it disrupts daily routine. Smooth and comfortable stools are a healthy sign of digestive system.
Causes of Constipation:
1. Change in lifestyle: when there is a change in routine like during travelling etc, it is very common for people to suffer from constipation and other digestion related issues.
2. Lack of physical activity: Physical activity is important for high metabolism
Lack of Fibrous diet – it is necessary to include fiber in the diet for a good digestive system
3. Oily foods: eating unhealthy and oily foods can dehydrate the body resulting in constipation
4. Cancer treatment: Chemotherapy causes constipation
5. Medications: some medicines that are for pain, or high in aluminum, antidepressants, anticonvulsants can cause constipation
5. Lack of water: drinking adequate water is good for a healthy digestive system. Some sodas and alcohol causes dehydration which in turn results in constipation.
6. Colon absorbs excessive water from food
9. Some people suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome due to which constipation occurs.
Symptoms of Constipation:
1. Infrequent stools: some people go for stools as little as just three times a week, common sign of constipation
2. Hardened stools: since the colon absorbs excess water from the food, stools get harder leading to constipation
3. Difficulty in passing stools: since the stools are hard, it gets difficult to pass stools due to lack of lubrication and water
4. Stomach ache: constipation causes stomach ache
5. Bloating: due to constipation, stomach feels bloated.
6. Loss of appetite: constipation commonly causes loss of appetite as it is difficult for the food to get digested.
7. Straining while passing stools
Prevention of Constipation:
1. Drinking sufficient water: drinking sufficient water easily cures digestive issues. Keeping the body hydrated helps heal constipation problem and control all other digestive problems.
2. Fiber rich foods: foods rich in fiber aides in digestion process and heals constipation. Whole wheat and green vegetables are rich source of fiber.
3. Probiotics: Probiotics produce necessary enzymes for the body that help in curing constipation
4. Exercising: an active lifestyle is good for a healthy body. Regular exercise and yoga assists in maintaining active metabolism.
5. Avoid Junk: junk food creates more harm to the stomach and is not good for digestion. Oily foods cause dehydration resulting in constipation
Best And Natural Home Remedies For Constipation:
Let’s find the top 25 Home Remedies to cure constipation instanly.
1. Milk And Honey Combo:
Milk and honey helps in cleansing the system from the bowels and keep your away from constipation. These two are the effective constipation home remedies and keeps you away from that type of constipation and digestion problems.
Combination of Milk and honey is completely safe during pregnancy, an excellent source of nutrition for kids and works well for constipation. However, honey is not recommended for children less than one year of age.
- Combine some raw and organic honey with warm milk.
- You may take it at night before going to sleep.
- Empty stomach is recommended for toddlers.
2. Have Raisins:
The high levels of fiber in raisins are what will work in your favor when it comes to the best home remedy for constipation. It is one of the best home remedies for constipation, which never disappoint you. Raisins soaked in water are an excellent aide for digestion and also helps boost energy. It is completely safe to have during pregnancy and also an excellent source of iron in children. It is always safe to consume raisins in moderate quantity.
- To take it in the ideal manner, take a handful of raisins and soak them in plain water overnight.
- This should be consumed first thing early in the morning after getting up.
3. Olive Oil And Lemon Juice:
Olive oil can be taken individually as well. However, a little lemon juice is mixed to lighten up the flavor of the oil. Olive oil is one the best way to get rid of constipation and prevent constipation clearly.
It is very healthy and beneficial for pregnant woman and children to consume lemon and olive oil. They are rich in vitamins and fatty acids that are very nutritional for child’s growth.
- Have a teaspoon of olive oil with a little lemon juice early in the morning for the best home remedy for constipation.
- This should be taken when you are on empty stomach for maximum outcomes.
4. Honey Helps:
Honey is a natural laxative and one that has innumerable benefits for the body including the constipation home remedy. Taking about one tablespoon of raw honey three times in a day will help in bringing back the movements in the bowel and relieving the discomfort. Honey is one of the best constipation remedies.
Honey in the raw form may contain bacteria which cause infant botulism, hence not safe for children under the age of one year. It is completely safe for children above the age one and for pregnant woman too.
See More: Constipation in Children
5. Aloe Vera Benefits:
Aloe Vera has ample number of advantages attached including soothing properties for the tummy. This can be mixed with some fresh fruit juice or taken individually in the morning to relieve the problems and signs of constipation. There is a list of home remedies of constipation in that aloe Vera is best remedy for constipation.
Moderate doses of Aloe Vera are safe during pregnancy as it can otherwise increases the risk of uterine contractions. It is also not very safe for children as it can cause painful anal breaks and wedged stool.
- You can adhere 2 tablespoons of fresh Aloe Vera gel.
- Or else some Aloe Vera juice with a cup of measurement is advisable.
6. Castor Oil:
A completely efficient constipation remedy that gives 100 percent results for constipation is castor oil. It also has a dual benefit of killing the worms in the intestines if you have such problems. We have so many home remedies to cure constipation in that castor oil will surely solve the problem fast. Castor oil is also called as constipation relief home remedy.
Castor oil should be avoided during pregnancy as it can induce labor. It is also not safe for children under the age of six.
- There are two ways in which you can consume this liquid. You can both have a tablespoon directly to regulate the bowels or else mix the same with a cup of warm milk and have it.
- This should be done at night for proper bowels or early in the morning.
See More: How to Avoid Constipation Naturally
7. Prune Juice For Constipation:
- Take out some fresh prune juice and have it two times in a day.
- About 8 oz of this liquid is recommended for perfect results.
- You can consume it early in the morning and late at night for regulating the bowels and treating the constipation.
Do not go overboard with drinking this as it can lead to issues of diarrhea. It is one of the perfect homemade remedies for constipation and keeps you away from daily trouble.
Prunes are the best home remedies for pregnant woman and also children. They are completely safe and easy to use.
8. Flax Seeds:
The Flax seeds have high levels of fiber as well as laxative qualities that can help in excretion of bowels that are difficult otherwise because of constipation. Flax seeds are most effective and fast constipation home remedy.
The flax seeds are very nutritional for children and can completely consume it. It is important and safe for pregnant woman to consume flax seeds in moderation only.
- This can be grinded in the mixer and then used to top various dishes and cereals in the entire day.
- The same can be sprinkled on salads as well.
- If you are taking raw flex seeds then you may take it early in the morning with water for most effects.
9. Have Plenty Of Water:
A simple home remedy to constipation that will start working on the problem almost instantly and there is no other home remedy in its comparison in drinking plain and filtered water. A lot of time, lack of water in the body is the reason why people experience constipation. For this, you ensure drinking about 10-12 glasses of water. Water is also an essential home remedies for a problem called constipation.
Water is a natural laxative and an excellent remedy for constipation which is 100% safe during pregnancy and for children.
- For best outputs you should know the best time and way to drink water, if you do so your body will work fast and the system properly.
10. Fresh Lemon:
There’s nothing like the juice of fresh lemons to get your bowels working first thing in the morning. The citric acidic content in lemons is a great natural stimulant which helps in flushing out toxins and other buildup in the digestive tract.
- Squeezing the juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water is sufficient enough to do the trick.
- Have it 1st thing in the morning to get the results fast.
Juice of lemon is very good and heathy for children to boost their energy levels and also safe for pregnant woman to consume.
The natural healing properties in papaya go a long way in treating various kinds of digestive disorders. Extremely high in vitamins A and C, beta carotene and other minerals like calcium, potassium, iron and phosphorus, papaya works wonders when it comes to treating constipation. Papaya juice has widely been used as a laxative for ages however, it is best when eaten whole.
Especially, raw or semi-ripe ones are harmful for pregnant women as they induce uterine contractions. Papaya is a power food and is very good for a healthy kid. This is one of the best home remedies for constipation.
- You may eat it at night before sleeping so that it can do its work at night and clean your tummy in the morning.
12. Ginger Tea:
Ginger is another one of those great home remedies for constipation which acts as a mild laxative. Freshly grated ginger works best when added to a cup of boiling water in the preparation of ginger tea.
- Having two to three cups of ginger tea in a day is effective in stimulating bowel activity. Add a spoonful of honey to it to double the action.
- Ginger tea in moderation is extremely useful as a natural remedy for constipation.
- It is also very good for children to help ease constipation.
13. An Apple A Day Keeps Doctor Away:
An apple a day helps keep constipation at bay. Apples are known to be a great reliever of that problem. The high fiber content, namely pectin, found in apples effectively aids in digestion.
- Having a glass of apple juice everyday promotes regular bowel movement.
- Eating the fruit with its skin works best to alleviate constipation as the skin contains all the essential fibers.
Not only that it is rich in fiber, apple is also packed with vitamins and antioxidants that are very nutritious and nourishing for pregnant woman and also children.
14. Bael Fruit:
Bael, also known as Wood Apple, is considered one of the best natural homemade remedies for constipation. Consuming the pulp on a regular basis helps clear toxins from the intestines, keeping the digestive tract free from buildup.
- The fruit can be made more appetizing by adding a bit of salt and pepper to it.
- It can also be consumed in the form of juice to help cure your constipation disorder.
15. Baking Soda:
Baking soda is the ideal constipation home remedy when nothing else seems to be working. Mixing a spoonful in a glass of warm water and ingesting it on an empty stomach helps it work faster. Once it enters the digestive system, it reacts with stomach acids to neutralize it thereby creating a smooth passage in the intestines for waste to pass through.
Baking soda is not recommended for children or for pregnant woman as a remedy for constipation. It increases stomach acids which are not healthy.
- By pulling water into digestive tract and promoting contractions baking soda eases constipation.
- When baking soda is combined with acid in stomach, gas is formed and it causes us to burp.
Caffeine is known to have a loosening effect on the bowels. A hot cup of coffee in the morning can help kick start your bowels. Too much of it however will have the reverse effect for coffee being a diuretic can cause dehydration leading to constipation. If you are constipated, stick to a cup in the morning to relieve you of it.
Coffee increases baby’s heart rate which can cause miscarriage. Hence pregnant woman should limit the intake of coffee to less than two hundred mg per day, infact it is best to completely avoid. Coffee is also not good for kids. It is best for pregnant women and children to avoid this home remedy for constipation.
17. Coconut Fibre:
Coconut comes with its many health benefits and alleviating constipation is one of them. It being essentially rich in natural fiber helps in promoting overall intestinal health. Coconut water is by far a great reliever of constipation. High amount of coconut fiber can also be obtained through coconut milk. If included in your everyday diet, constipation will soon be far from a bother.
Coconut or coconut milk is substantially recommended for both pregnant woman and children. It is completely safe and is one of the best remedies for constipation.
- For best benefits drink the coconut water in the morning.
- But some myths say that drinking cocnut water during pregnancy can cause kid to have cold after delivery.
Fresh green beans may not be your favorite among veggies but consider it your best friend when overcome with constipation. Beans contain plenty of fiber which helps to keep your digestive system up and about. The high fiber contained in them helps improve digestive function. Try incorporating them into your staple diet if you wish to stay on top of your tract.
Beans are high in fiber and a must-have for pregnant woman and children. It is a one of the best natural remedy for constipation.
- You may have beans available at home and prepare it as a curry with your meal.
- You can also add coconut to the curry for more taste.
- You may eat this curry any time you want.
Spinach as we all know is a storehouse of essential vitamins, minerals and fibre. It’s no wonder then that a daily dose of spinach can cure even the most severe case of constipation.
- You can cook it and eat it or reap its benefits from the juice of raw spinach.
- Consuming the juice on an everyday basis makes for a healthy constitution.
- You can even make spinach soup to get the benefits out of it or add it to the salads.
Spinach is loaded with folate and Vitamin B which is extremely good for a child’s growth and development. Hence it is one of the best natural remedies for constipation for both pregnant woman and children.
20. Epsom Salt:
Epsom salt which is essentially a pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate is very effective in treating constipation. This remedy works by drawing water into the intestines which helps to soften the stool thereby making way for a clear motion. The magnesium present in the salt further helps in promoting contraction of bowel muscles allowing for easy excretion. Epsom salt is best to use externally to ease constipation, but best to avoid drinking it for both children and pregnant women.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt to a glass of water for best results.
- You may even soak your body in Epsom salt and it may help you soften the stool as your body has absorbed magnesium through your skin.
- Bowel movement may start within 30 minutes to 6 hrs.
21. Season With Sesame:
Sesame seeds have long since been a natural home remedy for constipation. Made up of an oily composition, when ingested they work to lubricate the intestines. If you’re suffering from constipation, there’s nothing quite like sesame seeds to soften dry stool and relieve you of your predicament.
Sesame is rich in iron and calcium and is good in moderation for pregnant. Whereas children can indulge on thi s power food anytime. It is an excellent remedy for constipation at home.
- You can either snack on them or sprinkle them on your cereals or salads for added flavor.
Also extremely high in fiber are figs which work as a natural laxative for constipation. Those suffering from chronic constipation can benefit from including figs in their daily diet.
- Figs are best consumed fresh with the skin as the skin contains most part of the fiber.
- Dried figs can also be used by soaking them in water and grinding them to a paste.
Figs are one of the healthiest foods and are completely safe for both pregnant woman and children to consume. Also is one of best natural remedies for constipation.
Molasses, in particular black strap molasses is another natural remedy to rid you of your constipation woes. A tea spoon full of this black treacle before bedtime can get your bowels up and working quite naturally. You can even add it to your milk or fresh juices in the morning however, since molasses is high in calories, it should not be consumed on an everyday basis.
Black strap molasses is a prenatal power food and a great source of selenium and Vitamin B6. It is a healthy and safe home remedy for constipation.
Though often overlooked, this tropical fruit ranks among the best constipation home remedies. Guavas consist of soluble fibre present in the pulp and insoluble fibre that’s present in the seeds which together helps in clearing the digestive passage in the stomach. A guava a day is just as good as an apple a day. Have the fruit whole to reap the most of its benefits.
Guava helps maintain blood sugar levels and prevents constipation in pregnant woman and children. It is a rich source of Vitamin A and C and also a storehouse of antioxidants.
Of all the home remedies known to cure constipation exercise is by far the most natural way to keep your bowels functioning daily. Exercise which helps to stimulate the natural contraction of intestinal muscles, efficiently aids in faster digestion and removal of stool. If you’re lost for time, even a regular 15 minute brisk walk can maximize the function of the digestive system.
Exercising during pregnancy is very important but should be a guided one. Even children should exercise regularly to maintain good health and a healthy digestive system.
Constipation is not treated on time can lead to hemorrhoids which makes things more severe. Good old home remedies work wonders to heal constipation. Try them and see what suits the best and gives best results. Pregnant women and children should maintain precaution when trying out these home remedies, and is best to consult a doctor when not sure. Some of the best home remedies have been compile in this article and all very effective, efficient and all natural.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Are probiotics helpful for constipation?
Ans. When some home remedies don’t work, probiotics are the best. Here are some of the best probiotics.
1. Best natural probiotic is yogurt. It has live culture that enrich gut enzymes that help in smooth digestion. It is also very good for a strong immune system and promotes weight management.
2. Pickles are also natural probiotics that help in digestion. Homemade pickles have active enzymes that are rich in probiotics.
3. Kimchi and other form of fermented vegetables help balance gut flora which again aides in digestion.
Q2. What exercises are good to heal constipation?
Ans. exercises and maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle is important to cure constipation. It supports in maintaining good metabolism which is very good for digestive system. Some helpful exercises are –
1. Cardio exercises like walking, running etc are very good to control constipation.
2. Some poses in yoga are really good for constipation –
1. Cat and cow pose
2. Pelvic floor exercises
3. Breathing exercises: good amount of oxygen in the body helps keep circulation strong and in turn helps heal any ailment easily. It is also very good for constipation problem.
Q3. What diet should be followed to avoid constipation?
Ans. Maintaining a good and healthy diet is important and essential for a strong gut.
1. Avoid Red Meat
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Consume water rich foods like cucumber, Zucchini etc
4. Consume foods rich in fiber like beans, apples, prunes, Spinach, figs etc.
5. Avoid Dairy products as they cause irritation in the stomach and in most cases causes more constipation.
6. Oranges are also rich in fiber and vey good to help heal constipation.
A healthy food outcome a happy stomach. Foods helps heal stomach problems and aides healthy digestive system.