Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night to a sharp pain in your ear? You really feel like tugging your ear and pulling it to get some relief. Unfortunately, it can only make matters worse. Before you get frustrated and pop in a pain killer, go through this article to learn some best home remedies for ear pain. These methods make use of simple, natural ingredients which can cure the underlying infections that cause an earache. Also, learn about the various causes., symptoms and prevention methods of this painful condition.
Causes Of Ear Ache:
An Earache can be caused due to multiple reasons, the most common being an infection in the ear. Here are some of the prime factors that lead to earache in both adults and children:
- Bacterial or Viral infection.
- Respiratory Problems.
- Build-up of ear wax.
- Cold and Flu.
- Sudden changes in air pressure.
- Ruptured Eardrum.
Symptoms Of Earache:
Here are the most common experience symptoms to help you know what it feels like to have an earache:
- Severe Pain in the Ear.
- Irritation, followed by inflammation in the area.
- Fluid Discharge.
- Loss of sensitivity to sounds.
- Difficulty in Sleeping.
- Excessive Crying in Children.
Prevention Of Earache:
If you are frequently prone to ear pains, you must follow these prevention methods to lower the risks:
- Never poke any object into the ear, including a cotton bud.
- When you are travelling in a plane, be sure to chew or yawn during take-off and landing to avoid air pressure issues.
- Ear pain caused to nasal congestion can be prevented by taking medicated drops.
- A thorough medical checkup can rule out the possibilities of any chronic problems that lead to earache.
Best Home Remedies For Ear Pain:
Here are the top 25 ear pain remedies to get you faster relief:
Garlic is one of the proven natural remedies for ear pain. It has antibiotic and analgesic properties. If there is some ear infection, it can ease the pain completely. Garlic is one of the best home remedies for earache problem which is easily available in every house’s kitchen.
- Take 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and heat it in sesame oil.
- Filter the oil and few drops in the aching ear.
- This will relieve the pain.
2. Onions Can Cure Earache:
One of the effective ear pain relief home remedies is onion juice. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It is one of the most readily available items that can be found in any kitchen. The remedy is very effective in easing the pain.
- Grate the onion and extract the juice and heat it.
- Put 2 3 drops of this juice for about 2-3 times a day.
- Then see what will happen to your ear pain.
3. Hot Water Bottle:
A hot water compress is considered to be a quick remedy for ear pain. It is a safe, effective and economical way of treating different types of pains, including earaches. Here’s how to do it:
- Take a hot water bottle and wrap it with a towel.
- Put it over the ears.
- It is very relieving the pain of ear.
Ginger is believed to be the best home remedy for earaches and infections. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is a natural pain killer. It can help in treating various types of infection of the ear.
- Extract the juice of ginger by grating it and put it directly into the ear.
- You can even mix the ginger juice with hot sesame oil.
- After letting it cool down apply it all around the ears.
Licorice is one of the best natural home remedies for earache. Its anti-inflammatory properties can heal the inflammation in your ear and reduce the pain associated with it. To use this herb, you must:
- Warm some licorice herb in thick butter.
- Make a thick paste and apply it around the ear.
Peppermint leaves and oil is the best remedy for ear pain. It offers soothing relief to the area and brings down pain instantly.
- Apply a few drops of peppermint oil around the infected ear.
- Do not put it inside.
- You can even dilute the peppermint oil with olive oil.
- This combination is more effective than just using peppermint oil.
7. Radish Treatment For Earache:
Radish is said to be one of the effective earache home remedies. It can control severe pain in the ear with its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties:
- Cut some fresh price of radish out it in mustard oil and warm it up. Let it cool down and strain after it is cool.
- Put a few drops in the infected ear as it helps a lot.
Precaution: This remedy is not suitable for infants, toddlers and children in general.
8. Olive oil Remove The Pain Of Ear:
Olive oil is one of the widely used home remedies for ear pain in kids. It can provide relief during pain. Just warm 2-3 drops of this oil and drop them in the ear canal. It is a lubricant and helps in preventing the buzzing sensation in the ear
9. Mustard Oil:
Mustard oil is one of the best home remedies for ear pain in adults. It can control underlying infections and even soften the wax in your ear. To use this ingredient, you must warm the mustard oil as out few drops in the ear. The softened wax can be gently removed with a cloth.
10. Basil Leaves:
Basil or simple holy basil leaves are superb home remedies for earache and with almost regular usage of this you can get complete relief from all sorts of earache.
- Just take a handful of basil leaves and then grind them.
- From this, you will just need to extract the juice and then put in 2-3 drops of this into your ear.
11. Eucalyptus Oil:
Eucalyptus oil is another best home remedy for earache.
- For this, you will need some eucalyptus essential oil and along with that some hot water and also some Vicks.
- What you will have to do is simply pour a few drops of the eucalyptus oil in the water and also some balm and then inhale the steam of this water.
- This is one of the safe and effective home remedies for earache in toddlers.
12. White Vinegar And Rubbing Alcohol:
A mixture of Vinegar and rubbing alcohol is one of the best natural remedies for earache in adults. To do this:
- Take almost equal amounts of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a very small bowl as a simple home remedy for ear pain.
- Now just mix them both very well and with the help of your finger rub this solution inside your infected ear.
13. Tea Tree Oil:
You get to know all the benefits of aromatherapy if you study more about various ailments and their natural remedies and tea tree oil is one of the most important in this collection of oils which are also natural remedies for earache. For this, you will just need to pour a few drops of this tea tree oil into your ears and this is going to bring down the pain of ear soon. This is one of the best home remedies for severe ear pain.
Precautions: Never use undiluted tea tree oil as it is quite potent. Also, this oil must not be used for infants and toddlers.
14. Hair Dryer:
This may sound a little weird to you but this is surely one of the most effective home remedies for earache but you should of course do it in the correct way.
- For this, after taking a bath you need to pat yourself dry.
- And now take a hair dryer and from a distance blow it towards the ear for about 4-5 minutes to dry away moisture and also to insert some heat in.
15. Salt Treatment For Earache:
This is a very easy earache home remedy for children and adults and so you can follow it every day for the best results.
- For this, you will have to take some salt and then put it in a pan and start searing it till it becomes a little brown in color.
- Once it becomes brown take it in a piece of cotton cloth and now tie it.
- Place in the ear area for a few minutes every day.
16. Vitamin C:
It is very important that you also change your eating habits and choose what you eat very carefully especially when you are suffering from earaches. Make sure you are including a lot of Vitamin C rich fruits such as lemons and limes, grapes, guavas and so many more in general.
17. Sleeping Position:
When you are suffering from an earache it is very important that you sleep in a perfect position so that you do not put much pressure on the ear canal and drums. Due to this, you should sleep upright and not in any other position till the pain becomes alright.
18. Sesame Oil:
The combination of castor and sesame makes a wonderful combination for the treatment of earaches.
- Here you will have to take some amount of sesame oil and now pour it into a very small pan.
- Also, put in a few castor leaves into it and start boiling it like that.
- Now bring down the pan and let the oil cool.
- Now strain it and with the help of a dropper pour in about 2-3 drops of oil into the ear.
19. Chewing Gum:
Earache can be caused due to a number of reasons and one of the most common causes can be air pressure which maybe caused due to high altitudes. For this reason you need to keep handy chewing gums when you are travelling at such altitudes. Whenever you feel the pressure and your ears pain, you can start chewing a gum for complete relief.
20. Apple Cider Vinegar:
This magical ingredient features in almost every list for remedies for almost all ailments.
- You need to mix very small and equal amounts of apple cider vinegar with rubbing alcohol in a small bowl.
- Now you will have to pour this solution with a dropper into an ear about 2-3 drops.
- Now let it rest for a little time.
- You should best repeat it for at least twice a day.
21. Hydrogen Peroxide For Earaches:
This is known to be one magical solution if the earache is caused due to some kind of infection or the like.
- Just take about 2-3 drops of hydrogen peroxide and pour with a dropper inside the infected ear.
- And let it rest for about at least 5-6 minutes.
- Now when it is done you can drain it out.
- You are not to repeat this process too many times.
Precautions: Never perform this remedy on young children, infants and toddlers. It is also recommended to speak to a doctor before using a chemical solution like Hydrogen Peroxide.
22. Mango Leaves:
Mango leaves are a wonderful natural remedy for treating all sorts of earaches.
- For this you need to dry mango leaves and then grind and extract all the juices out of it.
- Now pour a few drops of this juice into the infected ear and let it remain like that overnight.
- This acts as a very effective home remedy to earache.
23. Sharp Objects:
It is very important that you know what you are using in order to clean your ears of all the wax deposited in it. It is very essential for you to make sure that you are inserting no sharp and pointed objects such as safety pins and sticks into the ear because even a small injury to the eardrums can pose as a big problem later and the pain can be intolerable.
24. Stop Smoking:
It is a fact that smoking can not only be fatal to the lungs and all the respiratory system but can also be really harmful to the parts connected with the respiratory system especially the nose and ears. When especially you are suffering from earache even passive smoking can prove to be harmful. Make sure that no one is actually smoking near you.
25. Bath Carefully:
When you are already suffering from an earache it may be the reason of water insertion into the ear. For this reason, you will need to take care whenever you are taking a bath so that even more water does not get inserted into the ears and cause even more problems to you.
Few Other Tips To Prevent Earache In Future:
- While washing the face one should even focus on the ear as we tend to ignore it most of the time.
- As the structure of the ear is different one should clean it properly around each corner. Cleaning helps in preventing various ear infections.
- Use earbuds on a daily basis to clean the ear. Wax generates in the ear on a daily basis. So cleaning is necessary as the accumulation of wax may lead to hearing problems as well.
Now that you have learnt the various natural remedies for earaches, it’s time to try them at home. Earache must not be neglected, as it can slowly spread to other connecting nerves. Unless it lasts for a day or two, you must not wait for these home remedies to work and instead, visit a doctor immediately. A thorough medical examination can alone determine the root cause to proceed with the right treatment. Don’t pay a deaf ear to your ears!
1. How do I Know My Ear Pain is Caused by an Infection?
One of the most common factors that cause ear pain is an infection in your ear. Ear infections are due to the bacterial or viral attack in your ears, leading to pain and inflammation in the area. It can also cause an excess fluid discharge which blocks your hearing. Your doctor can confirm infection by examining your ear with a special instrument.
2. When do I See a Doctor for an Earache?
An earache that lasts for more than a couple of days should worry you. Especially when it is associated with minor hearing loss, ringing sound in the ears, bloody discharge in ears, sticky fluid oozing out, increasing pain levels and even a fever. You must not wait for self-medication to work and must instead seek the expert advice of a doctor.
3. Why are Ear Pains Worse at Night?
Ear pains get worse by night, particularly in children. At nights, the pain usually occurs in a wave like a pattern, which can start like a dull ache and end up in a stabbing pain. The best way to sleep is in an upright position which does not cause any excess pressure on your ear. You can also try taking some painkillers before going to bed to avoid waking up in the night.