Natural ingredient to curb gastric problems are very effective and don’t usually cause any side-effects. People prone to gas problems are usually either allergic to any food or must have over eaten and in rare cases might be a symptom on an underlying condition. It is important to rule out every possibility. Home remedies are the first step for any illness and are in most cases very effective. It is safe for any one to use as they are all natural ingredients that are readily and easily available at home. Here are some of the best herbal home remedies for treating gas problem at home.
Best Home Remedies For Gas Problem:
Let’s find the top 25 effective home remeides to treat your gastric problem instantly.
Cinnamon is a great ingredient to treat gas problems. Not just a flavor enricher, cinnamon has the ability to regulate your digestive system. However, eating too much of cinnamon can cause some side effects during pregnancy. It is safe for children to consume cinnamon for gastric trouble.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon powder and add it to a cup of warm water or else in a cup of milk
- Consume this to treat gastric problem. Make sure you take it only once in a day for maximum benefits.
2. Garlic Use:
The heating qualities of garlic are something that helps in treatment of acid in the stomach caused by gas. It also helps in giving relief from gastric fire that gives a burning sensation in the stomach. This is the simplest and superb home remedy for stomach gas problem. Garlic has many health benefits and is safe for children and pregnant woman to consume. However, it is better to consume in moderation especially in the first trimester of the pregnant lady.
- Garlic can be used raw or added to the dishes you cook
- Take a garlic clove
- Add the garlic clove to the first spoon of rice you put in your mouth.
- Chew it raw and drink some water.
- Do this regularly irrespective of whether you have gas problem or not. It is very good for health.
3. Fennel Seeds For Gastric Problem:
Fennel seeds are very helpful in easing any gastro-intestinal issues. These seeds can be used to treat gas problems and bloating issues. However, fennel is a natural emmenagogue that can trigger vaginal bleeding and hence it is considered as unsafe to consume during pregnancy. Children can safely consume fennel seeds to cure gastric trouble.
- Keep fennel seeds handy at home.
- You can get fennel seeds from any supermarket.
- Another way of extracting the benefit is to steep a handful of fennel seeds in warm water for 5-10 minutes, strain and keep
- A little fennel seeds can be chewed after every meal to not only treat gas but also prevent it. It is one of the simplest home remedies to stick by for gastric issues.
- Consume the warm water in which you soak fennel seeds and strained.
4. Baking Soda And Water:
Baking soda is great at fighting gas. It lightens your tummy by quickly releasing the gas inside. Instantly after consuming baking soda, you will start burping. It is advised against to consume baking soda for pregnant woman. Even children should consume very limited quantities of baking soda. It roots to swelling in feet and ankles.
- Take about one glass of water and add ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- Consume this solution whenever you feel bloated or when you have gas in the tummy.
5. Cardamom Magic:
Cardamom not only enriches the flavor of a sweet or any special dish but also works as an exceptional remedy for treating gastric problems. It can be chewed after meals to prevent the problem as well. It has many health benefits and definitely an effective way to treat gastric problem naturally. Using cardamom in moderate quantities is always safe for both pregnant woman and children.
Keep cardamom handy at home.
- A cardamom can either be chewed or included in the dishes if you want to treat gas problem at home.
- You can chew this spice 2-3 times in a day till the problem subsides completely.
6. Ginger For Gas Problem:
Ginger is a very amazing ingredient that adds flavor to the dish and also enriches health. It helps in easing gas problems. Since the taste of ginger is very strong, it is better to add it as flavoring in everyday foods as a precaution. Ginger or ginger juice in moderate quantities is completely safe for pregnant woman and children to consume.
- Keep fresh ginger always ready at home
- You will also have lemon at home
- Add ginger to boiling water or to your regular green tea
- Ginger juice can be taken with a dash of lemon juice or else a piece of ginger can be chewed with a little black salt.
- Ginger tea can also be prepared at home for reaping the advantage this natural product has for gas.
7. Peppermint Tea:
Not only does peppermint tea tastes good but it also works its magic in treating gas problems. It has a lot of other benefits attached as well. Peppermint tea is an effective method to treat gastric trouble at home. It is completely safe for pregnant woman to consume this to not of relief gas problem but also helps in digestion.
- Take fresh peppermint leaves, wash and add them to boiling water
- Once the essence of the peppermint leaves gets extracted to the water, strain and serve
- Whenever you experience bloating or gas problem, quickly prepare this peppermint tea and consume it twice a day to get quick relief!
8. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple Cider Vinegar, the most popular ACV is a great ingredient for treating gas issues. It will surely help in curing stomach gas problems for you. Apple cider vinegar is loaded with other benefits too. It is safe to use apple cider vinegar during pregnancy and for a child in limited quantities. There is no much evidence of the ingredient being harmful but it is still recommended to consume in moderate quantities.
- Take 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, add to a cup of warm water.
- Let it cool down a bit and then serve.
- Once the solution comes to room temperature, consume it.
- You can take it twice a day for 2 days to quickly treat gastric problems.
9. Potato Juice:
Potatoes contain starch that will help release gas. However, it is to consumed with caution for pregnant woman with gestational diabetes. Potatoes are usually kid’s vegetable, and completely safe for them to consume it. It is one of the excellent home remedies used for the treatment of gas.
- Wash and peel potatoes
- Grate potatoes and using a muslin cloth extract the juice.
- Take out fresh juice from the potato and consume half a cup of the same at least three times in a day.
- Potato juice needs to be taken before the meals.
- And it acts as an antacid.
10. Chamomile Tea:
Chamomile is essentially an organic herbal remedy to curing gas at home. Anti inflammatory in nature with its healing properties, chamomile tea not only soothes your senses and calms your insides but its antispasmodic characteristic relieves your body of accumulated gas and acidity. Chamomile tea is completely safe for pregnant woman to consume as a remedy for gastric trouble. Kids can try chamomile tea for gas problem without any issue.
- Take a few chamomile flowers and add them to a cup of boiling water.
- Once the essence comes into the water, strain and serve
- Drink chamomile tea twice a day when you experience gas and it will just go away
- Limit it to 1-2 cups a day.
Rich in antioxidants, home remedies for gas problem speaks of lemon or lime which would allow your system to digest the food at a faster pace. Vitamin C present in the lemon also allows your body to heal from the inside while the unnecessary gas is taken care of. Lemon also helps relieve nausea in pregnant woman and is considered safe during pregnancy. It is always safe to exercise caution and limit consumption to a moderate level for both pregnant woman and children.
- Keep lemon handy at home.
- Squeeze a lemon into a glass of water
- Drink lemon water to combat gas!
Turmeric is an important Indian ingredient that is used in almost every other Indian styled dishes. However, other than being a veteran spice, turmeric is a steady source of natural nutrients and herbal elements, something that would help your digestion and kill the gas while healing you from inside. Use turmeric in your dishes and it can also prevent future acquaintances with gassy problems. Turmeric has many antiseptic properties and is packed with essential nutrients that are good for both pregnant woman and children. It causes heat so it is better for a pregnant woman to consume moderately.
- Add turmeric to any dish you prepare
- For quick relief from gas, add a pinch of turmeric to a cup of water and drink it up!
13. Pumpkin Controls Gas Problem:
Gas is created when a high fiber food diet goes wrong and your body finds it hard to cope with the digestion matters. The entire food in bulk as a result is passed on through our system due to lack of solubility and this is when we use pumpkins as natural remedies for gastric problems. Pumpkin cools your system and can tone down the gas formation process which is why you can always add a pumpkin soup or a desert after a heavy meal. Pumpkin is a good source of zinc which is very good for both pregnant woman and children.
- Add pumpkin to your curries or sambar.
- Or sauté pumpkin in very little olive oil, sprinkle some turmeric and hing
- Add a pinch of salt and serve
- Eat this as a quick snack and you will get quick relief from gas!
Buttermilk is known for its digestive qualities that make it a perfect warrior to combating indigestion, gas and bloating. Butter milk is very good for pregnant woman to help treat gas problem as long as it is made from pasteurized milk. It is also amazing for kids to consume. Once again much like the pumpkin, the buttermilk soothes your body and cools your heated insides providing instant relief as the lactic acid works to kill the gas inside reducing bloating or uneasiness.
- Add water to Curd, blend well and add some salt as per taste.
- Ready to consume and lesser your pains.
- Buttermilk can be consumed at any time of the day or night
- If you are suffering from gas or indigestion, then it should be consumed empty stomach.
15. Carom Seeds:
Carom seeds are amazing ingredients that have curative properties that are especially good for pregnant woman. It is one of the best home remedies to treat gas problem in both pregnant woman and children.
- Add a pinch of salt to some pieces of carom seed and consume it.
- Carom seed can be soaked overnight with warm water.
- Dried ginger and black salt can be added to carom seed as a mixture.
- You can strain and drink overnight soaked carom seed water in the morning with empty stomach.
- The other preparations can be consumed after meals for gas relief.
16. Take Care In Food Content:
Even though it varies from person to person, food content plays a major role in your gas formations. It is not always related to junk food or fast food, something that can surely give you bad indigestion, but the probability of gas can also occur with home cooked food being too rich or too high in fiber. To keep your gas in check, make sure you used enough spices and herbs to ail the high fibers and cut down on the takeout food. Too rich a palate or too greasy a pizza can always lead to improper digestion which is when a good meal can often be followed by swelling and bloating accompanied by a sharp pain maybe every now and then.
It is better for pregnant woman to eat a balanced diet and go easy on the quantity. It is better to eat slow and less and increase the number of meals as per hunger. Since kids have an active life, it is better for them to eat more as they can digest easily, however, the quantity should not be excess.
17. Caraway Seeds:
Jeera or Caraway seeds as many of us know them as, has always been a good digestion improving Indian spice. Caraway seeds find their way into every day foods and add a certain taste and flavor to it. Using them in your everyday dish will prevent gas from occurring and once occurred will help you with digestion thereby killing the gas and bloating inside you.
Caraway seeds are unsafe for pregnant woman to consume as it may cause miscarriage. It is better to avoid. It is safe for Children to try this method to release gas problem.
- Caraway can be used in salads
- Or add it to your soup or any cheesy dip you want.
- Eat it mixed it ay snack or meal and get relieved from your gas problem
Used as an antispasmodic, asafoetida is a good home remedy for gas where its anti flatulence properties prevents the growth of microbial elements in the gut. Also known as hing, this herb is quite often mixed in food items to give them a certain taste and this is how you can intake hing by adding them to your morning breakfast pancake or in your evening soup.
Direct consumption of asafoetida is unsafe during pregnancy. A pinch can be mixed with some dal and consumed moderately. It is a very good ingredient for gas trouble and safe for children to consume.
- You can add it to your curries or salad.
- A pinch of asafoetida mixed with buttermilk can be of great relief from your stomach problems.
- Asafoetida can be add to carom seed and consumed after meals.
- Can be used on daily basis.
- You can even mix asafoetida and water for infants and apply it on their belly to relieve them from gas pain.
Cramping, indigestion, bloating and flatulence can all be tolerated and acted upon by using anise seeds that provide superb digestion and would immediately on consumption keep your digestive juices flowing. In case of gas and indigestion, this stimulates the organs and speeds up metabolism so that gas cannot cause any bloating or pain.
Aniseeds can be consumed by pregnant woman in moderation. Even children should take precaution while taking aniseeds in large quantities. They have very strong flavor and not very easy on stomach.
- You can use it as flavoring item in any food you make.
- You can also consume it to increase breast milk.
- You can have it with warm water before going to bed.
- You can even add anise to your masala tea.
20. Chew Hard:
One of the reasons why you might have concocted gas is because you were always in a hurry to gulp down your food before rushing out to office. A study proved that quick eaters are more likely to get victimized by gas as proper chewing of food would definitely disintegrate the food and help the digestion process whereas half chewed food always bulks and becomes obstacles whilst the digestion process is on. It is one of the best tips to without getting gastric problem.
It is important for everyone including pregnant woman and children to chew the food well and for longer time to avoid any gastric trouble.
See More: Home Remedies For Fever
21. Take Small Meals:
If you are prone to gas and has always been afraid of having too spicy a dish, instead of changing your food content, this time change your food habit. Instead of having whole meals packed with proteins and vitamins and fibers and roughage, opt for smaller portions and frequent meals so that you can simply let your body keep up with the digestion.
Smaller portions and frequent meals are the best way to solve gas problem in pregnant woman and children.
- Prepare and plan in advance about your meals
- Have small meals after every 2 hours.
22. Olive Oil Can Get Rid Of Gas Problem:
If oily food is being unfriendly with you every time and you keep getting gas attacks, this time try frying it in olive oil or simply add olive oil to your everyday dish. Apart from being easy on the stomach and savvy on the mouth, olive oil is enriched in nutrients that help you with the digestion process.
It is best for pregnant woman to stay away from oily foods to curb gastric trouble. Excess of oily food can lead to obesity on children and hence should be consumed in limit.
- Keep olive oil handy at home
- Drink olive oil on empty stomach to get best benefits out of it in morning.
Curd or sour cream is the best for your stomach in case of gas or bloating. Sour cream stimulates the guts into producing more digestive juices while acting on the indigestion and flatulence. Yogurt has cooling properties that help treat gastric problem naturally among pregnant woman and children and is safe for them to consume. It helps strengthen the immune system and fights against osteoporosis. It also helps maintain weight.
- Keep curd in the fridge handy at home.
- You can have curd with muesli in the morning to keep your stomach cool.
- You can use it with your meals
24. Black Pepper:
Releasing hydrochloric acid in your stomach, black pepper sprinkled on your first meal of the day can actually help you combat tough gas and indigestion problems. Pepper is an antioxidant and also prevents cancer. It is also used to prevent cold and cough and mends oral health.
Back pepper cause acidity, heartburn and indigestion during pregnancy and hence better to avoid. For children it is safe to try this ingredient as a natural remedy to treat gas problem.
- Add it as a flavor to any of your food
- You may use it at any time.
Home remedies for gas also include coriander. Coriander is more than just flavoring herb as the goodness of this green can stop the burning or uneasy sensation in your stomach while allowing your bulk food to digest fast. Coriander leaves are also consumed by breastfeeding woman as it increases milk supply. I also have anticancer properties and are excellent for a healthy skin.
Excess coriander leaves can cause diarrhea so it is better to try this method in moderate levels for both pregnant woman and children.
- Keep coriander handy at home.
- Wash thoroughly and cut into small pieces.
- You may use it as a flavor in food.
- Coriander is also used to garnish curries.
Home remedies for gas in stomach are very reliable and often cured in hardly a day. It is important to maintain a healthy diet and healthy eating habit to keep the stomach clean and healthy. Drinking adequate water is the foremost remedy for stomach related problems. Smaller and frequent meals are an important routine to follow as a precaution.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Which foods are high in fiber that helps cure gas problem?
Ans. Fibrous foods are very important for a healthy stomach. It aids easy digestion. Some major foods that are high in fiber are,
Apples: Apples develops gut bacteria that reduces inflammation, which is very good for a healthy stomach.
Oat meals: Oatmeals are high in fiber and hence aids a regular and healthy bowel movement.
Carrots: Carrots help keep sugar levels in balance and re great source of fiber.
Beans: Beans are packed with fiber, protein, folate, and B vitamins that help regulate a healthy stomach.
Whole grains: whole grains like wheat are high in fiber.
Q2. What is the best way to distribute meal plans for the day?
It is a healthy routine to eat small and frequent meals instead of a heavy meal.
- Start the day with ginger tea or lemon tea
- Then fiber rich breakfast
- An apple or any fruit an hour after breakfast
- Lunch – complete nutrition- carbohydrates, fats, proteins and fiber.
- Snack – fruit or milk or buttermilk or any herbal tea
- Dinner atleast two hours before bedtime, preferably light food.
It is heathier habit to consume smaller meals ass it gives time for the stomach to digest the food and aids in a healthy stomach.
Q3. What foods are rich in probiotics and why are they good for health?
Ans. Probiotics are very good for a good and healthy stomach.
- Yogurts is a natural and healthiest probiotic easily accessible and rich in nutrients.
- Probiotic supplements
- Probiotic drinks
- Fermented foods
- Dosa, idly etc
Probiotics are essential bacteria that keep the stomach healthy. They are very good for the digestive system and aide in a very healthy gut. Fermented foods have probiotic cultures that keep the digestive strong and healthy.
Images Source: Shutter stock.