Insomnia is the problems of sleeplessness. In this condition, the patient experiences lack of sleep and therefore leads to fatigue that hampers with the daily routine. For a healthy body, it is very important for a person to sleep for 8-9 undisturbed hours. However, insomnia is the problem that does not let this goal be achieved and therefore makes the body unhealthy. In this article, we shall cover some natural sleep remedies to help you hit the bed sooner!
What Is Insomnia or Sleeplessness?
Before we get into the remedies part, let’s first understand what Insomnia is. Insomnia is a condition where the person finds it difficult to fall asleep or to stay asleep, even in most favorable conditions. This results in an incomplete sleep schedule that can make the person feel tired and lethargic. Chronic Insomnia can lead to depression, mood swings and anxiety.
What Causes Insomnia?
The causes for Sleep insomnia are primarily stress and anxiety. Prolonged feelings of tension and stress leads to mental disturbances, which can make the person stay awake forcibly. Even if the person gets into sleep, he will be aroused very soon, due to thoughts of fear, frustration and anger. Some people who tend to worry in their sleep and often fight with their emotions in the sleep itself. This can cause poor and disturbed sleep in the person.
Types of Insomnia:
There are many types of Insomnia, which are caused by various causes:
- Acute Insomnia: This is often caused by a certain event or stress that happens on a particular day. It is short term and can be treated in a day or two.
- Chronic Insomnia: This is a condition in which the person has trouble sleeping for more than 3 nights per week.
- Onset Insomnia: This is a condition in which the person struggles to fall asleep at the beginning.
- Maintenance Insomnia: In this condition, the person finds it difficult to maintain his sleep and frequently wakes up. Once awakened, they have trouble going back to sleep again.
- Idiopathic Insomnia: The person’s neurological control of sleep-wave cycle is abnormally developed, which can cause him lifelong sleeplessness.
What are the Signs and Symptoms Of Insomnia?
The common sign for Insomnia is sleepless and difficulty staying asleep. The other signs and symptoms of identifying Insomnia are:
- Frequently Waking up during the night.
- Waking up earlier than usual.
- Feeling tired and lethargic.
- Irritability and fatigue.
- Mood swings, Anxiety and Depression.
- Headaches that feel like a band around the head.
- Constant worry about sleeplessness.
Best Natural Home Remedies For Insomnia:
Check out these Insomnia solutions that can solve your problems of sleeplessness. These include herbal remedies and simple tips to fix your worries!
1. Cumin Seeds:
Cumin seeds are an excellent remedy for curing Insomnia. By drinking cumin tea before bed time, you can instantly experience a calm mind, which is the first step to good sleep. Cumin seeds are rich in iron and manganese. The juice of these seeds is known to stimulate the secretion of enzymes in Pancreas, which can help in better digestion and good sleep. The best way to take Cumin is in the form of tea or chewing the seeds and extracting the juice is also a great idea.
- Take 1 tbsp of cumin seeds in a cup of water
- Bring it to a boil till the water turn brown
- Strain and serve the tea
- Cumin seeds can be also be chewed or taken with ripe banana to trigger good sleep.
- Cumin seeds might be slightly bitter and may trigger nausea. You can add a dollop of honey to enhance the taste.
Nutmeg has a calm and soothing effect on the mind. It has been traditionally used as a relaxant and is proven to be effective for treating Insomnia. It has a compound called Myristicin, which helps in releasing anti-stress enzymes. Being a natural sedative, a pinch of Nutmeg can help you sleep better and longer. It is best taken with warm milk or even fruit juice before bed time to help you fall asleep fast.
- Add a pinch of Nutmeg to Warm milk and consume before bed time
- You can also have Nutmeg with 1 tbsp of Amla juice and have it thrice a day.
- Warm milk is the best way to use Nutmeg for good sleep
- Nutmeg when taken in excess quantities may give hallucinations and mental disorders. Less is more when its comes to Nutmeg.
Saffron is another effective treatment for insomnia. This precious herb has high amounts of Manganese, which has mild sedative properties. By consuming Saffron tea or adding a few strands of Saffron in warm milk before bed time, you can experience good and sound sleep. Using Saffron along with the prescribed medicines can help you overcome Insomnia faster. Saffron is also known to treat depression by calming down nerves and give a soothing relief.
- Add a few strands of Saffron to boiling water
- Strain and drink the tea before bed time
- You can also use Saffron with warm milk before bedtime for better sleep.
- Saffron when had too much can lead to overheat in the body. Add no more than 2-3 strands.
Bananas are rich in Magnesium, a mineral which has sedative properties. Eating bananas before bedtime, not only helps you sleep faster, but also for longer hours. Bananas can regulate your hormones and also cools your brain. You can either eat a ripe banana or make a Banana sleep tea, by boiling a peeled banana and adding a little cinnamon in the water. You must note that eating a lot of Bananas before bedtime may add extra weight.
- Peel bananas and chop into big chunks
- Boil water and add the peeled bananas
- Strain the liquid and add a pinch of Cinnamon
- Serve this tea warm and drink before bed time
- Eating a ripe banana also serves the purpose of helping you sleep well.
- Excess intake of Bananas can lead to weight issues.
5. Fenugreek Juice:
Fenugreek juice has anti-insomnia properties which can ward off unwanted thoughts and promote good sleep. It works by calming down wrecked nerves and help in stimulating good sleep. Fenugreek juice is extracting by blending fenugreek leaves with water and extracting the juice. You can even try soaking Fenugreek seeds in water overnight and blending them to extract the juice. It is extremely bitter and is recommended to consume it with honey to make it potable for drinking.
- Blend Fenugreek leaves with water
- Strain the juice
- Add a tablespoon of Honey to 2tbsp of Fenugreek juice
- Drink it every night before bed time
- You can blend soaked fenugreek seeds and add honey to it
- Excess Fenugreek juice can lead to stomach disorders.
6. Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar:
The mixture of Honey and Apple Cider vinegar has sleep inducing properties. It is known to promote a good and long sleep by calming down your body and mind. The mixture can help in regulating heart beat and normalizing the blood flow. ACV and Honey also help in cleansing the body and eliminating all the toxins.The best way to consume this mixture is to dilute Apple Cider Vinegar in a cup of warm water with honey to let its magic begin!
- Mix 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in 1 Cup Warm Water
- Add 1 tbsp of Honey
- Drink this mixture every night before sleep
You can even add a few drops of lemon for better taste
ACV must never be consumed undiluted. Don’t overdo the quantity as it can lead to stomach burns.
7. Chamomile Tea:
Chamomile is the most widely used remedy for inducing good sleep. It has been traditionally used for many centuries to reduce inflammation, calm down nerves and promote quality sleep. Chamomile has an antioxidant called Apigenin, which can block the receptors of brain resulting in a decreased anxiety and tension. In a few minutes, you can start feeling sleepy and experience longer, deeper sleep. Chamomile tea is also used in many therapies to help the patients calm down and reduce their nervousness.
- Take a Chamomile tea bag and dip it on hot water
- Let the tea seep in for 5 minutes
- Remove the bag and serve hot
- You can even add a few drops of honey for enhanced effects and taste
- If you are allergic to daisy family plants, stay away from Chamomile
8. Warm Milk:
Do you remember your mother insisting you on having a glass of warm milk before bedtime? She was right in telling you that it induced good sleep. Warm milk contains an amino acid called Tryptophan, which promotes enzymes that can calm down the brain. This agent makes you feel like you in hypnosis, by clearing up your mind and stimulating good sleep. Warm milk can also be had with a pinch of nutmeg or saffron for additional benefits.
- Take a glass of warm milk
- Add a dollop of honey and a pinch of nutmeg
- Drink it before bedtime
- You can even have warm milk with a few strands of Saffron or cardomom
- People who experience dairy allergies must avoid drinking milk.
Other Lifestyle Changes for Sleep Insomnia Relief:
- Meditate: One of the best things to do where the treatment of insomnia is concerned is meditation. It is very important to have a peaceful mind for a sound sleep. Try and meditate for about 15-20 minutes each day to ensure a gradual but effective cure of insomnia.
- Relaxation Techniques: There are many relaxing techniques that a person can use for bringing the mind at peace and strike a balance where sleep is concerned. These include the art of yoga, stretching, aroma massages and more. Mindfulness is another form of relaxation art that can be used for the purpose of treating insomnia. Make sure you do any of the mentioned techniques each day for quick Insomnia relief.
- Diet Change: There are some dietary modifications that one needs to bring in the daily routine when it comes to insomnia. Cutting down on the amounts of caffeine is one of them. Along with this, avoiding sweets is another of the important considerations that you need to make.
Foods that help in sleeping like carbohydrate crackers should be eaten before going to bed. Magnesium rich foods also act as a sedative and should be taken. These include wheat bran, whole grain, almonds, cashews and more.
- Lavender Aroma Therapy: Lavender is one of the natural products that have properties of a mild tranquilizer which can teat the insomnia also. Use a little lavender oil on the forehead and the temples before going off to sleep. This will help you reach the goals of good sleep.
- Take a Good Shower: Warm showers especially a soak in the water with some essential oils like that of ylang-ylang or lavender is a good way to treat the issue of insomnia. This is supposed to help you release the stress on the muscles as well. This bathing tip is very good for relaxations and better sleep.
- Set The Ambience: Sometimes the noise and light in the room is such that it causes disturbance with the sleep. It is important to have a peaceful room with dim light for proper sleep. This will help in treatment of the insomnia you are experiencing in a simple and safe way.
- Jasmine Essential Oil: Take a few drops of jasmine essential oils on both the wrists before hitting the bed. The scent will definitely make you sleep and that too in the most ideal way possible. You have to use this oil regularly to get better results which saves you from problem of insomnia.
- Do Physical Exercise: If you follow a strict exercise regime each day, you will surely be exhausted and tired by night. This will ensure that you doze off as soon as you hit the bed. Physical exercise is one of the natural ways to treat insomnia. As additional benefit, it will keep the body fit and balance the weight.
- Herbs For Insomnia: Herbal stuff has always been the tool behind a better sleep. Valerian is such a herb which will allow you in having a better sleep. It will also reduce the symptoms of a hangover and assist you in eliminating insomnia.
- Before-Bed Diet: According to experts, having a bite of some protein-rich foods will assist you in treating insomnia for good. Foods such as chicken and turkey contain high amounts of protein which is good before the sleep. It will provide you with an effective and better sleep. Foods such as turkey come with a substance called tryptophan which is an amino acid and helps in granting you with better sleep. According to experts this is one of the best natural home remedies for insomnia.
- Intake Of Magnesium And Calcium: Both of these natural elements are considered as the best sleep boosters. It has been seen that persons consuming these two element containing food are getting better sleep compared to those who are not having enough intake of these two natural substances. The recommended amount of calcium that should be consumed by us on a daily basis is 200 milligrams.
- Wild Lettuce: Try having some wild lettuce in the morning or in the afternoon. This will allow you in having a sound sleep. It will also assist your body in dealing with the stress. You can add it in list of home remedies for insomnia.
- Read Good Books: This means try avoiding horror stories or films. They occupy your mind keeps thinking about the stuff you have read of watched on television. Instead, watch romantic and love movies or the ones which come with a happy ending. Try reading some good books such a biography’s and books intended for the kids. Believe it or not, this will allow you have a good and sound sleep which will lead to a better tomorrow.
- Take Your Condition More Seriously: Do you want to know insomnia home natural remedies? Insomnia can prove to be harmful. It has been the reason behind many deaths of patients with high blood pressure. Hence, it is time you concentrate a little more on sleeping. Take some time off the world and concentrate on yourself. Follow a particular schedule which is in favor of your sleep and sleep a little more often until you come out of this self-created harmful stage.
- Bed Tricks: Mind it! This remedy does not work with everyone but still it is worth a try. One can change the sleeping positions and try a new one. The tricks include changing the mattress or the pillow One can also change the sides and relaxing a bit during sleep.
- Follow The Right Schedule Suitable For Your Body: Let’s be honest. Our body types vary and so do our habits. Hence, we should make a routine which is to be strictly followed by us. The routine should be tailored to the sleep needs. You will have to make sure that the routine provides you enough time that your body requires spending on the bed resting. Continuing such a habit will further assist in eradicating your sleepless nights. It is one of the natural and easiest home remedy for insomnia which gives healthy sleep.
Which Are To Be Avoided For Insomnia:
- After Intercourse Tips: Are you in need of some home remedies for treating insomnia? Then you better pay attention to this one. After having intercourse, a hormone is released in the men’s body which is also natural during sleep. But women, on the other hand, suffer from insomnia. That particular cuddle hormone is also released in the women’s body but for some reason, they do not make them feel sleepy compared to the men. Hence, if you want to have a sound sleep then avoid intercourse.
- Keep The Phone Away: Admit it or not. We all are somehow addicted to our cell phones. We switch it on during night to check message or have a late conversation. This is not good for you. It will not assist you in sleeping.Rather, it will put pressure on the eyes and eliminate your sleepy feeling which might lead to a sleepless night. Studies have proved that, out of 10, 8 persons have claimed the cell phone as the main culprit behind their insomnia.
- Turn Off The Alarm Clock: Yes, it is true. Studies have shown that people often stay in the fear of waking up on time and for that reason they run out of enough sleep as they are sleeping but there is an amount of stress on their minds. Some experts have recommended to turning off the alarm clock till your free from the insomnia stage.
- Avoid Too Much Caffeine: Too much coffee is not good for you. There are also a number of other products that come with caffeine content such as Pepsi. But since, coffee is considered as one of the best sources of caffeine we are going to stick with coffee. Yes, it is true that during a huge load of work or exams coffee might help you to stay awake. But too much consumption of coffee might prove to improper functioning of organs and reduce sleep as well. Coffee is considered as one of the main villains for insomnia.
- Socialize: Last but not the least, this is a really effective natural remedy for treating insomnia. At the end of the day all, we require is a good and healthy heart. We should not forget that our friends and people we hang out with can assist in reducing stress and grieve, Try socializing a bit if you think you need some friends.
- Easy On The Booze: Consuming a high amount of alcohol might be the reason behind your insomnia. Alcohol can ruin you slumber. Remember, for an effortless sleep you will have to stay sober. This condition is generally seen in women. Since men can get tipsy but still get sound sleep. But women, on the other hand, have to suffer from sleepless nights if they consume high amount of drinks with alcohol content. This is one of the best home remedies for insomnia.
Ayurveda and Homeopathic Remedies For Insomnia:
Check out these remedies from Ayurveda and Homeopathy to cure Insomnia:
- Ashwagandha: This is one of the best Ayurveda herb to treat Insomnia. You can take two tablets of Ashwagandha per day.
- Brahmi: Another relaxant from Ayurvedic medicine, which can be taken in capsule or powder form in milk.
- Sirodhara: Sirodhara is another relaxing therapy in Ayurveda, in which oil is poured on the forehead for a specific amount of time to serve the purpose.
- CoffeaCruda: This is a great remedy from Homeopathy, which reduces sleeplessness caused due to stress and overactive brain.
- Muriatic Acid: For patients who are feeling sleepy, but are unable to sleep, Muriatic acid is the best remedy.
Side Effects of Insomnia:
Insomnia, whether short term or long term leads to unwanted consequences.
- If this condition is for a short term, you might experience fatigue and inactivity during day
- Your cognitive abilities are lowered and chance of accidents are high
- Your will notice poor decision-making skills and lack of focus
- Long term Insomnia can lead to anxiety, depression and even mental illness
- You will experience short temperedness, anger and frustration.
These were some home remedies which are being practiced by persons suffering from insomnia. It is true that there are many other remedies which can be practiced at home for a better sleep. But these are some of the best remedies suggested by persons who have fixed their problems regarding insomnia.