Are you worried about cold or cough that is persistent? At times like these, any simple health issue might seem significant. Although home remedies for pneumonia cannot help cure the condition, they enable you to manage the symptoms effectively. Pneumonia is a health condition that occurs due to the inflammation in your lungs.
This article gives you the best pneumonia treatment at home that help ease the symptoms to a great extent, but if the symptoms are still persistent or worsen, consult a doctor immediately.
- Causes of Pneumonia
- Symptoms of Pneumonia
- Top 12 Home Remedies for Pneumonia
- Foods for Pneumonia
Causes of Pneumonia:
The immune system plays an essential role in protecting our body from infections. However, if you are down with viral or bacterial infections, make your immune system compromised, resulting in more severe illness (1). Inflammation is one or both air sacs in your lungs that cause pneumonia. Some other reasons that render this health condition are:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Bacterial or fungal infections.
- Inhalation of toxic gases.
- Unhealthy eating habits.
Symptoms Of Pneumonia:
The temperature of your body reaches over 105.1 degrees F if you are suffering from pneumonia. Here is the list of symptoms to look out for if you have this health condition.
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest pain.
- Increase in pulse rate.
- Cough along with pink mucus.
- Muscle aches.
- A headache.
Top 12 Home Remedies for Pneumonia
1. Cumin Seeds:
One of the flavors adding things in every household all over the world is cumin. It is one of the best options for pneumonia relief at home. Since it helps build the immunity of your body with the help of vitamins like C, A, and iron, making you capable of fighting infections. (2)
- A spoonful of jeera.
- A piece of crushed ginger.
- Two cups of water.
- Add the two cups of water and a spoonful of jeera to a bowl and heat it.
- Add the crushed ginger to the boiling water.
- Please switch off the stove and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the contents into a cup and drink it to get relief.
Kiwi fruit is a rich source of vitamin C that helps speed up your recovery by boosting up your immunity. It can be a natural pneumonia treatment since it helps fight foreign agents with the presence of antioxidants. (3)
3. Green tea:
Green tea is considered as one of the herbal cure for pneumonia. It is due to the presence of viruses and microorganisms destroying compounds in it. It also resists the further growth of any infections.
- A cup of water.
- Green tea leaves.
Boil a cup of water.
Add a spoonful of green tea leaves to the bowl.
Let it steep for a few minutes.
Strain the leaves, taking the preparation into a cup.
It is advised not to drink green tea on an empty stomach.
Identifying the type of bacteria that may cause pneumonia is the first step in treating this condition. A specific antibiotic is prescribed to you once the bacteria is identified and see if the situation comes under control. If the symptoms do not reduce, your doctor may suggest another alternative medication. Make sure you complete the course of treatment prescribed by your physician so that the condition does not reoccur.
See More: Home Remedies For Piles
5. Fenugreek Tea:
Fenugreek is one of the herbs to cure pneumonia by easing the pain and inflammation this health condition causes by breaking down the mucus. It also helps eliminate the harmful toxins from your body. Refresh your body with a cup of fenugreek tea. (4)
- A spoonful of crushed fenugreek seeds.
- Two cups of water.
- Honey to taste.
- Boil the water in a bowl
- Add the spoonful of crushed fenugreek seeds.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the contents into a cup.
- Add honey and drink it.
Make sure you are not allergic to fenugreek seeds before you start using them.
6. Garlic paste:
Garlic provides natural healing for pneumonia due to its natural properties that kill pneumonia-causing bacteria. Allicin is an amino acid released from crushed garlic that has antioxidants that are beneficial in reducing inflammation in our body. It also helps fight infections due to the presence of antibacterial and antiviral properties. Try to add garlic into your food to reap the benefits. (5)
7. Sesame Seeds:
You can find sesame seeds in almost every Indian household that acts as an excellent pneumonia treatment at home. It acts as a natural expectorant to eliminate the phlegm relieving you from the symptoms of pneumonia.
- Spoonful sesame seeds.
- A cup of water.
- Boil a cup of water along with a spoonful of sesame seeds.
- Strain the contents into a cup.
- You can also presoak the sesame seeds for a few hours so that the nutrients in them got into the water and drink it.
8. Spinach Juice:
Spinach, along with other leafy vegetables, acts as a natural remedy for pneumonia. It can fight the infectious agents in your body with the antioxidants in it. You can make juice by mixing a fruit like an apple rather than the only spinach juice.
- Two cups of chopped up spinach.
- One celery stalk.
- One cored and chopped up apple.
- A cup of water.
- Wash the chopped up spinach, celery, and apple.
- Add the ingredients to the blender along with a cup of water.
- Blend the contents until it forms a smooth paste without chunks.
9. Potassium Broth:
The high potassium contents of the ingredients like celery, carrots, parsley, garlic, and radishes are called potassium broth, which is one of the perfect home remedies for pneumonia.
- Two radishes.
- Four minced garlic.
- Two carrots.
- Two stalks of celery.
- Two pinches of parsley.
- Some water in a bowl.
- Peel all the vegetables and wash them thoroughly.
- Take a bowl and fill it with water to immerse all the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables, some salt, and ginger to the bowl.
- Let it simmer for two to three hours.
- Your broth is ready.
People with pre-existing heart conditions should avoid this broth as the excess potassium may be harmful.
See More: Fatty Liver Treatment Home Remedies
10. Carrot Juice:
The presence of high amounts of vitamin A makes carrot one of the vegetables that help maintain the integrity of respiratory mucosa. It is a perfect remedy to cure pneumonia at home. The antioxidants present in the carrots help heal the damaged tissue in your lungs.
- Two or three big carrots.
- One tablespoon pepper.
- A pinch of salt.
- A glass of water.
- Chop up the carrots and wash them thoroughly.
- Add the carrots to the blender along with some water, pepper, and salt.
- Blend the contents until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add some more water to make it runny.
The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric make it a natural cure for pneumonia and the pain it causes. The antimicrobial properties and the antioxidants in turmeric are useful in having a beneficial effect on your body. You can use turmeric in your daily cooking, and it can also be used to vaporization to relieve tightness in your chest. (6)
Ginger root is one of the best natural ways to treat pneumonia as it has an anti-inflammatory effect on your body in a natural way. Coughing continuously can cause chest pain, and ginger tea can relieve you from these issues giving you a soothing feel. (7)
- Crushed ginger root.
- One cup of water.
- Spoonful honey to taste.
- Boil a cup of water in a bowl and add ginger root.
- Switch off the stove and cover the bowl with a lid.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the contents into a cup, add honey, and mix it well.
See More: Natural Remedies For Throat Pain
Foods For Pneumonia:
Foods To Eat:
Adding certain foods to your diet help control the effects pneumonia has on your body. They help you fight infections in your body by boosting up the immune system. This diet, along with the prescribed medication from the doctor, will help you immensely. Here is a list of foods you can include:
- Whole grains like quinoa, oats, barley, brown rice.
- Protein-rich foods like white meat, nuts, seeds, beans, and fishes like sardines, salmon.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, lettuce, and kale.
- Citrus fruits like kiwi, oranges, berries.
Foods To Avoid:
Along with the foods, you can add, and also the foods that should be avoided to treat pneumonia effectively. Here is the list of foods you need to avoid:
- Cold cut meats such as bacon, ham.
- Excess salt.
- Cruciferous vegetables.
- Dairy products.
- Deep-fried foods.
- Carbonated drinks.
- Acidic foods.
It is not possible to completely cure pneumonia with the remedies you can try at home. A bit with the right diet, medication from a physician, and home remedies for pneumonia, you can substantially reduce the effects it has on your body. Although these remedies do not have any severe side effects, it is always best to consult a doctor before you try out any of these remedies.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article are suggestions and not a replacement for a treatment plan approved by a doctor. The website is not responsible for the side effects it may have on your body.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can Pneumonia Spread From One Another?
Ans: Bacteria, viruses, or fungal infections in your lungs are the causes of pneumonia. Certain types of pneumonia are contagious and can quickly spread from one person to another. Although exposed to these germs, not everyone will develop pneumonia.
2. How Many Stages Does Pneumonia Have?
Ans: There are four stages in pneumonia that your body goes through:
- 1st Stage: it occurs within 24 hours you come in contact with pneumonia-causing bacteria.
- 2nd Stage: Also called red hepatization, it takes two-three days after congestion to enter this stage.
- 3rd Stage: It is a grey hepatization that takes two to three days after step two. This stage is avascular.
- 4th Stage: Complete recovery occurs when a person experiences enzymatic digestion progressively.
3. Is It Safe To Go Back To Work With Pneumonia?
Ans: It is better to be safe than sorry. Wait till all your symptoms reduce, and temperature returns to normal. Be careful that you do not overdo your work even if you start to feel better. Ask your doctor if you are not sure as going back to work too soon may cause pneumonia to recur.