Our hair bears a lot of trouble by tolerating the harsh sunlight, wind, and water. Thus, it is our responsibility to maintain it well to keep it healthy and shiny. However, it is often seen that it stops growing after a certain length or grows at a slow pace which is not a healthy sign. Here are a few homemade hair oils for hair growth.
Preparation of any oil needs a base so we will use coconut oil as it does not have a strong smell and blends well with most ingredients.
Natural Oils for Hair Growth:
1. Hibiscus Hair Oil:
Hibiscus adds to hair growth properties and shines your hair too. Leaves and flowers (red colour) are beneficial as they act as coolants and improve hair quality.
How To Prepare:
- Use flowers and leaves in a 5:3 ratio and chop finely to get about half a cup quantity.
- In a bowl, mix one cup of coconut oil and the above mixture.
- Heat on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- When the oil is hot, add 5-6 tulsi leaves, half a teaspoon of rice, and 8-10 granules of fenugreek.
Sieve the oil after cooling.
This oil should be applied at least half an hour before shampooing thoroughly.
2. Curry Leaves Oil:
This oil adds shine and prevents hair greying. Curry leaves are also a good cleanser for the scalp and promote hair growth.
How To Prepare:
- Take 5 bunches of curry leaves. Dry and grind them.
- Heat a cup of coconut oil in a pan and add the curry leaves paste.
- When the leaves darken, remove them from the flame.
- Cool and store in a glass bottle.
If your hair does not respond positively to the oil, do not get disheartened. Apply and re-apply till it gives positive results.
3. Henna Hair Oil:
Henna, as we all know is an excellent source of natural color for the hair. Its additional benefit is the strengthening property which keeps the hair from falling and prevents breakage.
How To Prepare:
- In 200 ml coconut oil, add half a cup of dried henna leaves.
- Set on low flame till it boils.
- Cool down the mixture. Sieve and store.
Application of warm oil must be done twice a week minimum.
4. Tulsi Hair Oil:
Tulsi, as we all know is a very famous cure for most of our problems. Its benefit to our hair is that it acts as a catalyst for hair growth and clears the scalp.
How To Prepare:
- In half a cup of coconut oil, add 10 teaspoons of tulsi leaves paste.
- Heat on a low burner flame till fumes are visible.
- Remove from flame, cool, and store in a bottle.
Apply regularly and massage for 5-7 minutes while applying. Leave on for 45 minutes, then wash with cool water.
5. Brahmi Hair Oil:
Brahmi is an excellent coolant and aids the process of hair growth. It is simple to make and can be made and used fresh each time or stored in a bottle.
How To Prepare:
- Take a cupful of coconut oil and add 10 teaspoons of Brahmi powder.
- Stir on low flame avoiding the paste turning black or too dark.
- Remove from flame and let it cool before preserving it in a bottle.
Apply the oil 3 times a week and more if you have an oily scalp which is a hub for dust and dirt.
6. Onion Extracts Oil:
This oil should be prepared and used fresh to re-grow hair from the balding spots because of its peculiar odour.
How To Prepare:
- Heat a little coconut oil in a small pan.
- Add half the quantity of fresh onion paste and let it boil.
- Before the mixture cools down to room temperature, sieve it and apply it thoroughly on the scalp with the help of cotton.
- Pay closer attention to the balding spots and areas with less hair growth.
Positive results can be seen with regular use of the oil at least twice a week.
7. Amla Hair Oil:
Amla is one of the oldest existing cures for hair growth issues. Here also, we are going to use all of its goodness to speed up the growth of hair and improve the quality.
How To Prepare:
- Cut fresh amla into small pieces and dry before making powder. Another option is to use the ready-made amla powder we get in grocery stores.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder, half its portion of fenugreek seeds, and 200ml coconut oil.
- Set it on low flames and turn the fire off before Amla turns dark or black.
- Cool and store in a dry area. Do not refrigerate.
This oil loses its colour after 2 weeks, therefore it is advisable that you make it in small quantities.
8. Fenugreek Oil:
Fenugreek is a golden ingredient for hair just like the color it owns. It prevents hair greying and strengthens the hair.
To make the oil:
- In a small jar, put 200 ml coconut oil and add about 3-4 teaspoons of dry fenugreek seeds.
- In a utensil (big enough to fit the smaller jar), put water and a small jar and heat.
- Heat on medium flame till the water comes to a boil.
- After the water cools a bit, take the small jar out and let it remain in a place where direct sunlight approaches.
- After a week, sieve the oil and store it in a dry place.
Application of fenugreek oil on a regular basis will improve hair’s quality and volume.
9. Aloe Vera Hair Oil:
Aloe Vera gives shine to hair and strengthens the roots. Hair also becomes soft when this oil is applied regularly.
How To Prepare:
- Mix fresh Aloe Vera gel and coconut oil in an equal ratio.
- Heat on medium flame till the oil boils.
- Cool, sieve, and store in a dark bottle.
Apply for at least an hour before washing thoroughly with cold water.
13 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth:
These are essential oils for hair growth and make them grow at a faster pace. To see effectiveness, use at least 5-7 times before you become restless if the results are slow.
Essential hair oil when chosen wisely and applied correctly can do wonders for the health of the hair. The main stipulation in using hair oil is that it works effectively only when applied or massaged onto the hair on a regular basis. There is a word of caution for all those people who have allergies or sensitive skin. Though using oils for hair growth is a common practice, one should consult a therapist or a physician before beginning to use any oil so as to avoid further complications.
Amazing Essential Oils For Hair Growth:
It will be easy to select the best oil for growing hair if you go through the details of the 14 best essential oils for hair growth mentioned below.
1. Almond Oil For Hair Growth:
Almond oil is one of the best oils for promoting hair growth. It works on eliminating the dead cells of the scalp enabling the hair to grow without inhibitions. It is an excellent moisturizer when massaged into the scalp vigorously.
2. Olive Oil For Hair Growth:
Olive oil is known to be the best cure for enhancing the growth of hair. It is instrumental in blocking the DTH hormones which are growth inhibitors. It has plenty of anti-oxidants that exfoliate the scalp, stimulating hair growth.
3. Castor Oil For Growing Hair:
Hair growth progresses when a natural product like castor oil is used. Ideally, it is a laxative but it is excellent for protecting the hair follicles, keeping it infection-free. Castor oil is one of the best hair oils for hair growth.
4. Lavender Oil For Growth Of Hair:
Lavender oil is a famous essential oil that is equally effective in combating hair disorders and promoting hair growth simultaneously. Lavender Oil is more beneficial in the regrowth of the hair, especially after prolonged hair disorders like alopecia.
5. Tea Tree Oil:
This oil is highly effective for clearing clogged pores. Hair growth is often restricted due to dandruff and other fungal infections. Tea tree oil is anti-fungal and antibacterial in nature and is highly effective in getting rid of dandruff.
6. Emu oil:
As the name suggests this hair oil is extracted from the bird emu. It has the regenerative properties to repair the damage caused in the scalp and promote regrowth of the hair.
See More: Nutrients Required For Hair Growth
7. Fish Oil For Growing Hair:
Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) which are some of the most important components required for the health of both skin and hair. It is usually consumed in the form of soft gel and strengthens the hair from within, thus promoting hair growth.
8. Rosemary Oil For Hair Growth:
Rosemary oil is yet another oil that can be used for strengthening the hair. It helps in dilating the blood vessels which gets the hair follicles to enhance hair production. Rosemary oil is excellent for promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss.
9. Lemon Oil:
Lemon oil is very beneficial for the scalp and hair. It not only reduces dandruff but also adds the much-needed shine to your tresses. It has amazing cleansing properties and also boosts the circulation of blood to your scalp; hence it is an essential oil for hair growth and nourishment. The best way to apply lemon essential oil is to cut a lemon in half and rub it on your scalp. Let it remain for close to half an hour before you wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Thyme is an ancient medicinal herb to help hair grow and stop hair fall. Rubbing thyme oil onto the scalp in circular motions helps in delivering essential nutrients to the scalp that lead to thick hair growth. Thyme is very useful if you are losing your hair volume and desperately want to get it back. It is one of the best oils for hair growth and regeneration. However, thyme oil should not be used by pregnant women and babies below the age of 18 months.
11. Geranium Oil:
Geranium is one of the essential oils for hair growth. It is taken from the leaves and stems of the geranium plant and dates back to the ancient Egyptian civilization where it was used by women to get glowing and beautiful skin. It is non-toxic, and has a floral smell. It does not generally irritate the skin and revitalizes the scalp tissues. The sweet aroma of the oil can also lighten the mood and ensure overall wellness. It is known for its properties of balancing the hormones and its continued application is known to reduce stress levels and depression in individuals.
12. Cedar Wood Essential Oil:
Cedarwood Essential oil comes from the Cedar tree and is pretty much the answer to which oil is best for hair growth. Cedar trees are mentioned so much in the Holy Bible because they have some amazing properties. Cedarwood essential oil cures fungal infections which often lead to dandruff. It lessens skin irritation and aids in healthy hair growth. For people who tend to have mild acne on their scalp, this is the best oil for hair growth for such people. The earthy aroma of the cedarwood oil is also known for keeping the bugs away thus ensuring long, shiny tresses for you.
See More: Acupuncture Points For Hair Regrowth
13. Clary Sage Oil:
Clary sage is another essential oil for hair growth. Not only is this oil cheap but also stimulates hair growth by reducing the production of excessive sebum on the scalp. Thus, it helps to keep dandruff and acne away for good.
However, frantically searching for will not help you conquer your dreams of achieving healthy tresses. Regular application of these oils has to be coupled with a healthy lifestyle. There needs to be adequate rest and a healthy diet to ensure good hair. Also, for people who have long hair, it is advisable that you tie your hair in a loose bun before you hit the bed to prevent it from tangling up, drying, breaking, and looking lacklustre the next morning. Follow these basic steps to get enviable locks!