Many of us are in a misconception that oily skin doesn’t need moisturization. That is far from the truth; excess oil production can sign dehydrated skin (1). Therefore, it is essential to use a homemade moisturizer for oily skin. Although preparing a skincare routine for oily skin can be challenging, it need not be anymore!
To prevent excess sebum production, all you have to do is gently exfoliate your skin regularly. Moisturization of your oily skin is necessary so that it helps maintain healthy-looking skin without any greasiness. We present you with the best homemade moisturizers for oily skin in this article that help you moisturize your oily skin without causing breakouts.
Why Is Moisturization Necessary For Oily Skin?
Applying a moisturizer on oily skin might not be appealing for many. But using the right moisturizer will be very beneficial, especially for people with an oily surface. Although several products are available in the market, the chemicals in them might strip your skin of its natural oils. Some of the external factors like UV rays, pollution also play a vital role in making your skin shinier. Therefore, it is necessary to moisturize your oily skin with an appropriate moisturizer to hydrate it sufficiently.
When Is The Perfect Time To Moisturize Oily Skin?
As mentioned before, moisturization should be a necessary step in your skincare routine for any skin type, especially oily.
- Washing your face with a cleanser may strip your skin of its natural oils, so use a moisturizer right after you wash your face.
- You can use a light moisturizer that restores the natural moisture level to your skin after a shower.
- There is a chance of your skin getting dry overnight; therefore, you should also use a moisturize right before you go to bed.
Natural Ways to Moisturize Your Oily Skin:
We present you with the list of the best natural moisturizers for oily skin as chemically formulated ones may not sit well with many.
1. Aloe Vera for Oily Skin:
Protecting your skin from UV-induced damage is an additional advantage of homemade aloe vera moisturizer for oily skin along with providing a moisturizing effect (2)(3). Aloe vera is a perfect homemade moisturizer for oily skin in summer. It is light and prevents greasiness on your surface. The anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants of aloe vera help shrink acne and corresponding scars. It doesn’t leave any greasiness on your skin, making it firm.
Precaution: Aloe vera may cause side effects for people with sensitive skin. Do a patch test on your arm before applying it on your face.
2. Green Tea for Oily Skin:
If you want to retain your skin moisture, green tea is the perfect option (4). It keeps your skin moisturized by preventing transepidermal water loss. Green tea is a rich source of antioxidants that works wonders on acne-prone skin. Honey, in this mixture, helps keep your skin hydrated so that your oily skin is well moisturized.
- One cup of hot water.
- Green tea bags.
- One spoonful of honey.
- Boil a cup of water and place the green tea bags in it.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Once the water cools down, add honey and mix it well.
- Apply this mixture on your face with the help of cotton balls.
- Let it stay there for 10 minutes and rinse it with warm water.
[ Read: Homemade Beauty Tips For Oily Skin ]
3. Jojoba Oil:
With properties similar to the sebum produced by our skin, jojoba oil is the appropriate homemade moisturizer for oily skin (5). It helps balance the natural oils on your skin since it gets absorbed quickly and doesn’t leave a greasy feel on your surface. Create a perfect blend of moisturizer by mixing lavender essential oil to jojoba oil. Acne, redness, and irritation caused by it can be dealt with lavender oil’s antiseptic properties.
- One spoonful jojoba oil.
- Lavender essential oil- three drops.
- Take a small bowl and mix the oils thoroughly.
- Apply a few drops of this mixture with the help of a dropper and spread it evenly.
- It is best to apply this moisturizer at night for significant results.
4. Sunflower Oil for Oily Skin:
Although applying oil can be counter-productive, sunflower oil’s non-comedogenic nature makes it a perfect homemade face moisturizer for oily skin. It protects your skin from damage and minimizes wrinkles and fine lines. It provides a balance of natural oils and hydrates your surface. The high amounts of linoleic acid in sunflower oil helps reduce acne issues (6).
Precaution: Make sure to pick the sunflower oil with low oleic content.
5. Strawberries for Oily Skin:
Strawberry, when mixed up with ingredients readily available in your house, you can prepare a DIY face moisturizer for oily skin. It nourishes and revitalizes your skin and fights the excess oil. This fruit is a rich source of vitamin C (7). Fresh moisturizer prepared with strawberry exfoliates your skin by eliminating extra oil. The anti-inflammatory properties of honey and soothing properties of curd clears and soothes your surface (8).
- Mashed strawberry-1/4 a cup.
- One spoonful of honey.
- Curd-one cup.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients to it.
- Whip up the contents well till you get a creamy, smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture on your face at any time of the day.
- Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
6. Rose Petals for Oily Skin:
The anti-inflammatory and astringent effects of both rose petals and water make them the best homemade moisturizers for oily skin (9). It helps keep your skin fresh by controlling the sebum production and gives you a wonderful smell. For an even skin tone and moisturization, aloe can be added to this mixture. This mixture can be used at any time of the day.
- Rose petals-one cup.
- Some rose water.
- Two spoonfuls of aloe juice.
- Boil the rose petals in a bowl and add a few drops of rose water.
- Switch the stove off once the contents come to boil.
- Strain the petals once the mixture is completely cooled off.
- You can add the aloe juice to the cooled mixture.
- You can either apply this moisturizer with a cotton ball or use a sprayer.
7. Lemon for Oily Skin:
Prepare an instant homemade moisturizer for oily skin with some fresh lemon juice. It helps eliminate the acne-causing bacteria and dead skin cells and reduce the excess oil with astringent and anti-bacterial properties. Another blessing for people with oily skin is the drying effects caused by L-ascorbic acid in lemon. Vitamin C helps lighten acne marks and promotes the growth of your skin tissue (10).
- One spoonful fresh lemon juice.
- Two spoonfuls of water.
- Take a small bowl and add lemon juice and water to it.
- Mix the contents well.
- Take a cotton ball and apply this mixture on your face.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
[ Also Read: Benefits Of Multani Mitti For Oily Skin ]
8. Honey for Oily Skin:
The anti-bacterial properties and antioxidants present in honey are very beneficial since it acts as a natural moisturizer for oily skin (11), which is readily available in any home. It helps cleanse your pores and restricts the growth of microbes that cause acne. The waxy part of honey gives you a shiny, soft skin, and your skin looks a lot younger with the help of the antioxidants in it.
- Two spoonfuls raw honey.
- Apply a thin layer of honey all over your face evenly.
- Let the honey stay on your face for about ten minutes.
- Rinse your face off with warm water.
9. Milk And Olive Oil:
The combination of milk and olive oil with a zing of lemon juice makes it one of the best homemade moisturizers for acne-prone skin. Olive oil has anti-microbial properties that help your skin fight bacteria that cause acne (12). Whereas milk is considered an anti-bacterial agent and has lactic acid, it soothes your irritated skin (13). Lemon juice reduces the greasiness of your skin by regulating the oil secretion.
- Two to three spoonfuls of olive oil(extra virgin).
- Fresh milk-1/4 cup.
- Two to three spoonfuls of lemon juice.
- Take a small bowl and add all the ingredients to it.
- Mix the contents well.
- Apply the moisturizer with a cotton ball and let it dry.
Caution: Since olive oil may form a dark tone on your skin, it is preferable to use this homemade moisturizer at night.
10. Rosehip Oil:
Rosehip oil is an essential oil that helps fight many skin issues prominent in people with oily skin, such as irritated skin, acne, and redness (14). This oil is a perfect homemade moisturizer for acne-prone oily skin since it has moisturizing abilities. It also helps tone your skin evenly, along with reducing the scars caused by acne. Include this essential oil in your daily routine and reap all the moisturizing benefits it has to offer.
- Three drops of rosehip oil.
- One spoonful of coconut oil.
- Mix the essential oil and carrier oil in a small bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your face evenly with the help of a cotton ball.
Precaution: Applying essential oils directly on your skin may cause side effects. Make sure you add the carrier oil.
If you have a skin that feels greasy and oily all the time, you are in dire need of a moisturizer in your skincare routine. With the help of these homemade moisturizers for oily skin, you can not only provide your skin with much-needed hydration without making it greasy. All you have to do is do a patch test on your hand before you apply any of these moisturizers on your face to rule out allergic reactions.
1. Is moisturization necessary for oily skin?
If you think oily skin doesn’t need moisturization, you are wrong! Skipping this step in your skincare routine makes your skin more oily than it was before. Moisturizing your oily skin adequately helps slow down sebum production and thereby reducing the oiliness from your surface.
2. How long do homemade moisturizers last?
Refrigerated homemade moisturizer for oily skin can last up to seven days. Since most of the recipes are easy to make, it is better to make them fresh.
3. What are the precautions one needs to take for oily skin?
By taking a few precautions, you can keep the extra oil and shine at bay.
- Do not pile up product over the product without giving a chance for one to work out. This might be counter-productive.
- Do not touch your pimples or scars without washing your hands. Dirty hands tend to do more harm to oily skin.
- Make sure to use a clean pillowcase as it absorbs most of the oil in your skin.
- The final and essential step is never to skip the moisturizer.