Winter is the marriage season, most people get married during November and December, and usually, honeymoons are directly after marriage. “At a touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.”- So it’s essential for the couples to bring out their poetic side in them, which wouldn’t happen if the destination they go to in not entirely pleasing. Incredible India has many beautiful places to go to, but for a honeymoon in winter, couples must plan wisely.
Beautiful Honeymoon Places in India in Winter:
1. Andaman and Nicobar:
Walking by the beaches, the crystal clear water, staying in a resort in Andaman and Nicobar islands are anything that the couples would demand their honeymoon. They can go trekking, snorkelling, deep-sea fishing, and so much more. The couples can even ask for tents and camp on the beach. The winters are the most pleasant times when the temperature doesn’t go beyond 30 degrees.
- Romantic Things to Do: Go snorkelling for a different experience together, sit on the beach for a candlelight dinner surrounded by the soft sounds of the waves, go island hopping and enjoy the privacy!
- How to Reach: Reach Port Blair by air from all major cities (flights on all days) and Vishakhapatnam on select days in a week. Reach by sea from Kolkata, Chennai, and Vishakhapatnam on a boat or cruise.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: Winter months are pleasant
- Where to Stay: A variety of hotels, homes to stay and b&b’s are available for the honeymooning couple (book in advance using travel websites).
- Other Attractions: Varied attractions for tourists of all tastes – the couple can visit museums and peaks and also do water sports apart from the Saddle peak National park.
- Tourist Attractions: Havelock Island, Radhanagar Beach, Baratang Island, Viper Island, Barren Island, Saddle Peak, etc.
[Read: Have a December Wedding? Check out These Budget Honeymoon Destinations in India]
Ooty is one of the famous honeymoon destinations in India South. The botanical gardens in Ooty have thousands of varieties of plants and rare flowers. The Ooty Lake is perfect for picnics, but for lovers, there are romantic boat rides. Camping by the waterfalls of the Pykara River can be a good view for couples. For romantic walks, the couples must visit the grassland areas in the Nilgiris and small hills covered with forests called the Wenlock Downs.
- Romantic Things to Do: Take a boat ride in the Ooty lake, ride the Mountain railway called Nilgiri rail, visit the botanical garden for a nice set of pictures amongst the flowers and buy homemade chocolates and varieties of tea for souvenirs.
- How to Reach: Train connectivity is good from Bengaluru, Chennai and other neighbouring cities and the nearest station is Mettupalayam (40 km from Ooty). Avail cabs from the station itself. Else, fly to Bengaluru or Chennai or Coimbatore and then take a train up to Mettupalayam.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: weather is pleasant from March until the month of June.
- Where to Stay: Wide variety of options to stay from budget to 5-star hotels in and around Ooty.
- Other Attractions: Tea factory, government museum, Tiger hill and many other viewpoints, Kalhatti falls – a romantic waterfall excursion for couples!
- Tourist Attractions: Ooty lake, Government Rose garden, Thread Garden, St. Stephen’s Church, Doddabetta, Kamaraj Sagar Dam, etc.
Nainital is the foot of Kumaon range. The Naini Lake provides excellent water sports, like canoeing, yachting, snorkelling, and a romantic boat ride is there any way for the couples. The couples can witness the Snow Capped Mountains from the Naina Peak, the Land’s End or Dorothy Seat. Cable cars are also one transport which gives a beautiful top view to the couples.
- Romantic Things to Do: Boat ride in Naini lake, ride the ropeway until snow viewpoint and look at the town below from Naini peak. Have a picnic on the Tiffin top and stroll the Mall road hand in hand for souvenir shopping. If both of you are adventure buffs, go to Ghorakhal and indulge in paragliding!
- How to Reach: Take a train until Kathgodam, the nearest train station (34kms away) and reach Nainital by bus or cab. Fly until New Delhi or even Pantnagar (1 hour away) and take a taxi straight to Nainital as many travellers do.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: Summer months are the best, but the cheapest is during the monsoon months from July to October.
- Where to Stay: Stay near the lake with a good view – lots of options to pick from, ranging from 2-star hotels to 5-star ones!
- Other Attractions: Bird-watching in Kilbury Road, Sariya Taal, Khurpa Taal, Himalayan Botanical Garden, Woodland waterfall.
- Tourist Attractions: Nainital Lake, Snow View, Naini Peak, Mall Road, Tiffin Top, Cave Garden, etc.
Darjeeling is one superb hill station, located in North East India. The Kanchenjunga can be witnessed from Darjeeling, it is famous for its tea estates and most of them had been started during the British reign. Going through the place by the Toy Train, going trekking, visiting Singhalia National Park, are a few things the couples can spend their time doing, in the cold weather.
- Romantic Things to Do: Ride the toy train, visit tea estates and have a quiet time at the Peace pagoda! Shop on the mall road, try Himalayan cuisine and experience Nightingales in the Shrubbery Nightingale Park.
- How to Reach: Fly to Bagdogra which is the most important airport of the North-East and the most well-connected one. From here, take a cab which will reach Darjeeling in about 2.5 hours. Take a train until New Jalpaiguri and then continue by road.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: Avoid monsoon months because of heavy rainfall which attacks Darjeeling. All other months are pleasant to travel to Darjeeling.
- Where to stay: Since it is a very popular destination for tourists, there is no dearth of options to stay. Pick the city center for convenient connectivity to various tourist attractions.
- Other Attractions: Sunrise and Sunset points, many monasteries to visit and Senchal lake right outside the city.
- Tourist Attractions: Ghum Monastery, Peace Pagoda, Tenzing Rock, Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park, Japanese Buddhist temple, etc.
[Read: Most Romantic Honeymoon Places in India in January]
Kovalam is known as the ‘Paradise of South.’ The ideal climate in Kerala attracts newly married couples from all over India as well as from abroad. There are three beaches here, and the largest one is Lighthouse Beach. Couples like to sit at the beach and spend quiet time with their loved one, as the sound of waves hit their ears. Recently they have started introducing ayurvedic salons which are also a reason for the increasing number of tourists.
- Romantic Things to Do: Visit the lighthouses, the Halcyon castle, many marine aquaria, look for wellness in the Guruprakash ayurvedic center and generally enjoy the beach life!
- How to Reach: Fly to Thiruvananthapuram and take a cab or even auto as the distance is only 15 km. Even trains are a good option because the nearest train station Trivandrum is well connected by train.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: Winter months are the best because this is a seaside destination.
- Where to Stay: All range hotels are available. Book something beforehand for a good deal and find a hotel with a sea view.
- Other Attractions: Shiva temples, Kottapuram, Vellar tourist village, Sunset viewpoints.
- Tourist Attractions: Light House beach, Kovalam beach, Halcyon castle, Light House Beach Road, etc.
Shimla during winters goes below zero degrees, which the couples wish for. There are beautiful locations for sightseeing, most importantly the view of the majestic Himalayan Range. The accommodations are comparatively reasonable which is why couples like to come here, all the more. Prospect Hill, Chadwick Falls, Jakhoo Hill, etc. are a few places to visit in Shimla.
- Romantic Things to Do: Do Skiing and Ice skating for a romantic experience together! Go for a stroll around the city and don’t miss the Mall road for some real vibe of the place.
- How to Reach: Fly to Juberhatti, the nearest airport 23 km away (daily flights from New Delhi). Bus service is regular and reliable too; catch one from any major city in North India.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: The winter temperatures are quite low and snowfall makes it very scenic but quite cold. Summers are very pleasant.
- Where to Stay: Anywhere! So many options to pick from! But book in advance to avoid peak season rush and related compromise.
- Other Attractions: Potter hill, Bhimakali temple, Summer hill, Gaiety heritage cultural complex.
- Tourist Attractions: Kalka – Shimla Railway, the Ridge, Mall Road, Christ Church, Scandal Point, State Museum, etc.
Pondicherry is a good destination for honeymoon in the resorts, by the sea. The beaches like Paradise, Serenity and Lighthouse are the main attractions. During winter the weather is much cooler than the rest of the time. The couples must visit the Aurobindo Ashram and the Botanical Gardens there.
- Romantic Things to Do: Do scuba diving with your significant other or surf the waters for adventurous fun! Ample water activities and Rock beach to enjoy together. Auroville will be a new experience for the two of you. Take a cycle tour of the and enjoy it at a slow pace.
- How to Reach: Take a train to Villupuram which is just 35 km far from Pondicherry. Else, one can take a flight to Pondicherry as it has an airport and many carriers fly regularly to Pondicherry.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: Winter months are the most pleasant.
- Where to Stay: Beach resorts or something that overlooks the beach. Homestays in the French part of Pondicherry can also be a good option.
- Other Attractions: Basilica church, Auroville and many temples to go to.
- Tourist Attractions: Promenade Beach, Rock Beach, Bharathi Park, French War Memorial, Puducherry Museum, Aayi Mandapam, etc.
[Read: Top Honeymoon Destinations in India for February]
Auli is a place for adventures like skiing in the snow, trekking and having some fun indoors. It is a less crowded place than the snowy places in India, which gives some alone time to the couple. Badrinath Temple, cable cars going through the mountains, Gorsau top, are someplace worth sightseeing.
- Romantic Things to Do: Trek together to Gorson Bugyal and Kwani Bugyal for an organic experience of the town. Skiing in Auli is a must-do if you are visiting in the winter months. Visit the highest human-made lake in the world, the Auli lake. Go for a ropeway ride and don’t miss out on camping in Auli for a complete romantic getaway experience.
- How to Reach: Fly to Jolly Grant airport of Dehradun for a comfortable onward road journey to Joshimath, from where one can take the ropeway to Auli.
- Best Time to Visit for Honeymoon: All year round! But the winter months see snowfall, and it is quite a lovely and scenic time of the year.
- Where to Stay: Take hotels or even camps (in the summer months) for a great holiday in Auli.
- Other Attractions: Nanda Devi National Park, Trishul peak, many treks around the area.
- Tourist Attractions: Auli Ropeway, Narsingh temple, Chenab Lake, Gorson Bugyal, etc.
Are you confused about which place to hit for? All the above-mentioned destinations are romantic and beautiful. Well, the decision lies entirely on you and your partner. Choose a destination that will help you guys come closer to one another. The memories which you create at your honeymoon spot will remain with you forever. If you have any other honeymoon spot in your mind, then please comment below. That can be of some help to other honeymoon couples like you.