Isn’t it amazing to see celebrities flaunting their silky hair with mirror-like glaze? If you have been dreaming of the same, we can help you get silky hair naturally. You don’t have to swipe credit cards at sophisticated hair spas. Instead, it can be done in the comfort of your home. Here are 9 natural and proven home remedies for silky hair that can enable you to don a celebrity look with shiny tresses. Let’s get started!
Before going into the remedies, let’s understand the factors that make hair dry and rough.
Factors Include Dry and Rough Hair:
- Pollution and continuous exposure to the sun makes hair dry
- Deficiency of nutrients such as Biotin or Vitamin B7 makes hair brittle
- Washing hair too often may wash off the scalp oils that keep the roots intact.
- Excessive use of styling products and usage of hair products that don’t suit your hair type also can make hair look dull and lifeless
9 Natural Remedies To Get Silky And Shiny Hair!
Irrespective of the reason, it’s not a great feeling to end up having bad hair days all the time! So, here are the natural ways to get silky hair at home, compiled specially for you.
1. Egg White Pack:
Egg whites are proven to make hair silky, shiny, and smooth due to their nutrition-rich profiles. In addition, proteins and vitamins such as niacin and riboflavin present in egg whites cleanse the scalp and nourish hair evenly. This renews damaged hair and brings back the shine.
- Egg Whites – half cup
Here is the best home remedy with egg whites.
- Take 2 egg whites in a bowl and whisk well.
- Spray water on your hair and apply this mask.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo to rinse off, followed by a conditioner.
When to use:
Use this pack once a week to get silky hair with natural shine. It is specially meant for people with oily scalp and dry hair.
2. Aloe Vera and Onion Juice:
Another surprising yet promising home remedy that can make your hair smooth and shiny is Aloe Vera and Onion juice! Aloe Vera is rich in nutrients that create the moisturizing effect, converting brittle, dry, and damaged hair into silky soft tresses. On the other hand, Onion contains Sulphur which nourishes hair follicles and minimizes breakage, giving your dull hair a diva style!
So let’s look into this fantastic combo remedy:
- Onion – 1 (medium size)
- Aloe Vera – 1 stem
- Extract onion juice using a blender.
- Take fresh pieces of Aloe Vera and collect gel using a spoon.
- Mix this gel with onion juice and apply it to the scalp.
- After 30-40 minutes, wash it off.
When to use:
For better results, apply 2-3 times a week, and silky and lustrous hair will be yours.
Read More: Aloe Vera for Hair Growth
3. Fenugreek Paste:
Perhaps there would be no kitchen without Fenugreek or Methi seeds on its shelves. Proteins and Iron present in Methiare excellent to maintain the health of your hair. In addition, fenugreek works great as a softening, repairing, and reviving agent for dry and damaged hair.
Here is how you can incorporate fenugreek in your hair care routine at home:
- Methi Powder – 2 spoons
- Water – for making a fine paste
- Take 2 tablespoons of Methi powder.
- Prepare a paste by adding water little by little. It shouldn’t be too runny or too hard.
- Apply it directly to the scalp and coat the strands thoroughly.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the hair thoroughly with a shampoo followed by a conditioner.
When to use:
Using this paste once a week can yield amazing results. For the best outcome, you can add a little bit of coconut oil to the paste.
4. Banana Hair Mask:
Banana is not just a golden fruit for your body but also your hair. It is rich in Potassium, natural oils, and moisture which enable it to treat dry hair effectively and soften it naturally. Bananas that are mushy in texture work like magic on dry hair by improving its elasticity. So, the next time you have an overly ripe banana, you know what to do!
Here’s a simple and natural way to prepare this mask:
- Ripe Banana -1
- Mash a ripe banana.
- Spread it onto the hair from roots to tips.
- Leave it for one hour.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly with warm water.
When to use:
Using the banana mask once a week is quite beneficial, another secret is to combine banana with Aloe Vera gel for incredible results.
5. Coconut Oil and Kalonji Seeds Hair Mask:
Coconut oil is one of the traditional ingredients used to achieve silky, shiny hair. Vitamin E and antioxidants repair dry and damaged hair by sealing the outer hair layer with moisture. Adding kalonji seeds to coconut oil makes the mixture a secret potion for silky hair! Kalonji seeds are rich in vitamins A, B, and C and nutrients like magnesium, zinc, iron potassium, and other essential fatty acids. In addition, Kalonji seeds help moisturize your scalp and hair and condition your mane to promote smooth texture.
Try this magic mask!
- Coconut oil – one bottle (200 ml)
- Kalonji seeds – one to two tablespoons
- Using a mixer jar, grind kalonji seeds to a fine powder and add to the bottle of coconut oil.
- Leave the oil aside for 3 days, so it soaks in all the goodness of the kalonji seeds.
- Take a small quantity of the oil, warm it and gently massage it on your scalp and apply to your strands as well!
- Leave it for 1-2 hours
- Then using a mild shampoo, wash your hair with lukewarm water.
When to use:
Coconut–kalonji oil massage can be done twice a week.
6. Honey Pack:
Did you know honey is not just a fantastic skincare agent but also works magic on your hair? Honey contains nutrients and antioxidants that help in soothing the scalp. Honey is a natural emollient, and so it hydrates the scalp and moisturizes the hair, while its proteins make hair silky and shiny.
Here’s the technique that can turn your hair silky:
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Water – little
- Mix honey with a little amount of water (to make it less sticky).
- Apply this mixture to the scalp and strands from roots to ends.
- Leave it for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off.
- Use a mild shampoo and conditioner as usual.
When to use:
Repeat this process once a week for maximized benefits. Another secret is to add a few drops of honey to your shampoo and conditioner for the best results.
7. Coconut Milk, Rosemary and Olive Oil Hair Pack:
From time immemorial, coconut milk is being used as a natural remedy to treat dry hair. Coconut milk contains fats, proteins, sodium, calcium, and many more nutrients that improve blood circulation in the scalp. It promotes hair growth, and makes it silky and shiny. Olive oil consists of emollients like oleic acid, palmitic acid, and squalene which have extraordinary softening qualities.
Here is how to extract coconut milk, prepare this mask and apply it to hair:
- Coconut -1
- Coconut milk – 4 teaspoons
- Olive oil–4 teaspoons
- Grate fresh coconut or cut the coconut into pieces and grind it in a mixer jar
- Take the grated or ground coconut into a muslin cloth and squeeze out the milk into a bowl.
- Warm it and allow it to simmer for five minutes.
- Let the milk cool. Freeze it overnight.
- Combine four spoons of coconut milk with four spoons of Olive oil.
- Refrigerate it for four hours.
- Take a little of this mask and apply to your hair and cover it.
- Leave it for almost an hour and wash it with mild shampoo.
When to use:
For better results, you can use it once a week.
8. Yogurt/Curd and Aloe Vera Pack:
Yogurt contains Vitamins B5 and D that boost hair growth and make it shiny and silky. Protein and lactic acid present in yogurt provide deep hydration to dry hair. Aloe vera is rich in vitamins A, C, and E, which exceptionally contributes to cell turnover, promoting healthy cell growth and adding shine to the hair. Aloe vera also consists of Vitamin B12 and folic acid, which protect your hair from roots preventing hair fall.
Here’s is how you can prepare and apply the yogurt aloe vera hair pack.
- Yogurt – half cup
- Aloe Vera gel – 2-3 spoons
- Coconut oil – a few drops
- Mix half cup of yogurt with 2-3 spoons of Aloe Vera gel. Add a few drops of coconut oil and stir it to make it fine without any lumps.
- Use a brush or your finger to gently apply this pack to your scalp and through the hair strands.
- Wash it after 30-40 minutes.
When to use:
Repeat this remedy once a week to get silky, straight hair with a natural sheen.
9. Avocado-Egg-Honey Pack:
Avocado works excellently to treat dry and frizzy hair. Minerals in the Avocado seal cuticle – the outer layer of hair, thereby making your hair look silky, shiny, and smooth. If you combine this fruit with two more magical ingredients, the result will be extraordinary.
Wish to try it asap? Here it is:
- Avocado -1
- Egg yolk-1
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Peel off an overripe Avocado, remove the stone and mash it in a bowl.
- Beat 1 egg, separate the yellow and use only the while. Add 1 tablespoon of honey to it. Mix it thoroughly.
- Wet your hair.
- Apply the pack from roots to tips.
- Wrap up your hair using a shower cap or a bath towel
- Leave it for almost half an hour
- Using lukewarm water, wash the mask thoroughly.
When to use:
Use this home remedy once in a fortnight to make your hair silky and shiny in a natural way.
So, now that you know the best natural home remedies for getting silky hair naturally try them to get the most beautiful locks you have been dreaming of. But before trying one, do not forget to conduct a skin patch test because natural ingredients also may cause allergies in some people with sensitive skin.
Dos and Don’ts to Achieve Silky Hair At Home:
Home remedies mentioned above are topical, and any of these packs would be applied to the hair and scalp directly. But what about the inside job? To ensure the overall growth of your hair and safeguard its silky, shiny texture, note down these do’s and don’ts.
Following is the list of certain things that you should follow to make your hair gleam with a silky shine.
- Healthy Diet: A nutrition-rich diet is always an added advantage. Consuming vegetables like Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, and Broccoli boosts the scope for getting silky hair. Eggs and milk promote hair growth as they are rich in proteins. Omega-3 Fatty acids play an essential role in keeping hair moisturized, and fishes are rich in these nutrients. Walnuts, flax seeds, soya beans are the vegetarian options for Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Drink More n More Water: There is no better remedy than drinking water to keep hair hydrated and glowing. It also prevents split ends and hair breakage, thus sustaining the silky and soft texture. So make it a habit of drinking around 3 liters or 10-12 glasses of water per day.
- Cover your hair: If your hair is exposed to the sun and extreme climate for too long, it may become dry and damaged. As a preventive measure, you can cover your head with a scarf or a hat. The heat produced by the sun dries up surface moisture and causes breakage of hair. Dues to this, hair loses its natural luster, becomes dry and rough.
Here are certain things that you shouldn’t do with your hair.
- Don’t use hair styling products such as hair sprays, gels excessively. Overuse of these products can cause a build-up of chemicals on the scalp. This leads to poor absorption of nutrients by the scalp. And the result is dull, lackluster hair.
- Also, don’t overuse heating tools or hair dryers. The heat produced by these tools pulls off moisture from the scalp and hair. It leads to breakage, which in turn makes hair dry and rough.
- Don’t wash your hair too often. Shampoos are supposed to clean excess oil from hair and scalp. But if you use it very frequently, it strips essential oils and moisture from the scalp and hair. This makes hair rough and dry.
You need to follow certain shampooing techniques to fully avail the benefits of shampoos and sustain your mane’s rich, silky, shiny look.
- Choose shampoo according to your hair type.
- Don’t use shampoos with harsh chemicals. They make your hair dull and dry. Instead, use mild, moisturizing shampoos that soothe scalp and hair as well.
- Always use conditioners. Apply conditioner for 2-5 minutes after shampooing and wash it off. They retain moisture in the hair, thereby making it silky, shiny, and smooth.
- Remember to use only lukewarm or cold water while washing your hair, as excessive heat dries up moisture, leading to dryness and breakages. So instead, use cold or lukewarm water.
Combing is essential to keep your hair smooth and straight. It seems to be very easy. But if done in the wrong way, combing may create several problems to hair and scalp. Following are a few combing techniques to keep your hair silky and smooth.
- Select comb and brush according to your hair type.
- Never comb when the hair is wet. It causes breakages.
- Use paddle brushes to keep hair smooth and straight.
- Comb your hair before shampooing to keep it smooth.
Now that you have noted all the tips and quick hair mask recipes getting silky hair naturally at home isn’t a big deal for you anymore! However, a proper hair care routine with these easy home remedies can make your dry and rough mane into soft and silky hair that enriches your beauty. So, try our DIY masks and let us know which one works the best for you.