Indian society has always given the emphasis on traditional values, culture, and heritage. The beauty and extravagant décor during festivities or celebrations, of them emphasized the same values. Similarly, women have always had their makeover and beauty with grace and traditional values underlying within. The Indian braid hairstyles are the result of similar norms that are built up all over the years.
The braids are always considered the epitome of grace, traditional looks, and rich beauty. These have continued to influence hairstyles all over the world, and the braid hairstyles have become quite popular over the ages. In this guide, we will see the best Indian braided hairstyles, which are quite popular in the country. They are in the form of actual ethnic and traditional hairstyles, which definitely fits in today’s Indian values as well as within the slight uproar for change and modern looks.
20 Best Indian Braid Hairstyles: How to Style, and More!
Today we tell you 20 different Indian braid hairstyles and how to do them. These Indian braids are quite easy and beautiful.
1. Indian Floral Braid Hairstyles for Wedding:
This charming and cute hairstyle is perfect to wear for festive and pre-wedding occasions. The gorgeous look can match both sarees and lehengas and instantly enhances your appearance seamlessly. It is cool, and edgy, yet graceful and feminine. Women across age groups, with long or medium length hair, can check it out.
2. Half Braided Hairstyle with Open Hair:
If you have medium hair length, this is our favourite and chic Indian side braided hairstyle with open hair. The look is a perfect blend of both traditional and modern contemporary chic appearance, giving it a feminine and elegant yet stylish look. This Indian braid hairstyle is suitable to spice up any of your western or ethnic outfits and can suit women with any hair texture.
3. Fancy Indian Braid Hairstyle:
Undoubtedly, there are an array of options to check out within the Indian braid hairstyles. But we can’t miss out on the traditional looks that deliver a high-end and sophisticated plush appearance, can we?! This lovely and pretty hairstyle for women is perfect for brides to try out during any of the festivities. It matches lehengas or gowns immensely and can elevate your appearance seamlessly. Do you agree?
4. Simple Indian Braid Hairstyles:
We all know and came across this very easy and quick double braided Indian hairstyle variant. This look is perfect for younger girls for any casual outings and everyday looks. It is easy to maintain and quick to do at any point in time. Further, the look is versatile, and those with any hair texture can indeed try it out.
Read: Trendy School Hairstyles for Long Hair
5. Casual Indian Braided Hairstyles for Short Hair:
While most of us already know this casual everyday look, it yet deserves all our attention. The special feature of this hairstyle is that women and girls across age groups, across hair textures and hair lengths, can try it out effortlessly. Isn’t it cool? The look can be carried seamlessly for any occasion too!
6. Braid Hairstyles for Long Thick Hair:
This is a south Indian inspired braided hairstyle we absolutely love! Those with straight or wavy hair texture with long hair length can check it out. The braided hairstyle is feminine, elegant and timeless, perfectly fitting in with any sarees and festive occasions or functions. This one hairstyle look can itself elevate your appearance effortlessly.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Women with any hair type can try this style out.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Wear this for women of any face shape as it is quite a versatile one.
- Ideal Age Group: Those girls and women in any age group can try this versatile braid look.
- Perfect Season: This is versatile and suited for all seasons, including summers and winters.
- Suitable Outfits: Wear a traditional outfit or ethnic dress to add to the look.
- Preferable Occasion: One can wear this for regular days or outings or even to festivities.
7. South Indian Wedding Braid Hairstyles:
The Indian long hair braid is popular for even wedding looks. Coming to the south Indian wedding, the popularity of long braids is immense. Here the hair, even if small in length, is tied with extensions and attached with flowers or floral hair accessories to get the traditional touch. This is quite a popular and beautiful Indian wedding braid look, which we all admire!
- Best Hair Type to Try: Any hair type can try this style out.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Those with any face shape can totally fit in this style well.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this style for women in the 20s age group.
- Perfect Season: Any season is good to go in this hairstyle well.
- Suitable Outfits: Traditional sarees are best for this look.
- Preferable Occasion: This look is suitable for only wedding ceremonies time by the bride.
8. Middle Parted Loose Braids:
Coming to the variety of Indian side braid hairstyles, the most common is the middle-parted two braid style. While it is common for younger kids of school-age; it is nowadays replicated even by older women. Braids here are loosely tied to look exotic as the end result. This look is getting popular due to its unique and bright style, which is a twist to the traditional tight popular braid style.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Straight and wavy hair texture is good to go in here.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Any face shape can go well in this hairstyle.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this hairstyle for women in their 20s only.
- Perfect Season: Winter and monsoon seasons are suitable for this style.
- Suitable Outfits: One can wear this for western outfits as well to look good.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for casual outings with friends.
Read: Double Braided Hairstyles
9. Indian Messy Braids Style:
In case you want to have a look at Indian long hair loose braid, you can try this popular braided messy hairstyle. Here this modern look is quite extreme to other senses; the braids are well teased neatly in a balanced way to form this style. Hair accessories are attached in between to add to the elegance and enhance the beauty, and elevate standards. This is among our popular and favourite bridal looks as well.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Those with any hair texture can perfectly fit in this style.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Wear this variant with women of round and oval face shapes.
- Ideal Age Group: Those in their 20s and 30s women are trying this style.
- Perfect Season: Winters are apt to fit to try this style out.
- Suitable Outfits: Sarees and lehengas can be good enough to try this hairstyle.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this style during any festivities or pre-wedding celebrations.
10. Modern Evening Braid:
Another simple yet modern twist to have a braid look for simple and casual evening times is this braided medium hairstyle. Here the braid is simply tied by side parting and left aside. This, while looks like a casual and common type of braiding; is trendy and stylish to another extent. Those who want a graceful and elegant look in simpler terms should not miss this kind of style!
- Best Hair Type to Try: Wear this if you have a wavy or straight hair texture.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Oval and elongated face shapes can look good in this style.
- Ideal Age Group: Those under age below 35 years can try this side-parted braid out.
- Perfect Season: Any season is good to go in this hairstyle!
- Suitable Outfits: One can wear an outfit of their choice to this style.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for casual outings with friends or family.
11. Wedding Braid Style:
Another Indian bridal braided hairstyle variant is here. This is good to go for several north Indian wedding ceremonies where there are several pre-wedding festivities involved. One requires professional help to do this hairstyle as it is not easy for everyone to tie it on their own. Here the braid is a combination of a messy look, and twisted braids style and hair accessories of one’s choice can be attached as well.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Wear this for the hair texture of your choice.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Round, heart, and square face shapes can look good in this style.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this look for women in their late 20s only.
- Perfect Season: Winter season is the best to try this style out.
- Suitable Outfits: Lehengas and sarees both can go well in this look.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for pre-wedding festivities and celebrations.
Read: Indian Bridal Hairstyles Pictures
12. Floral Braid Hairstyle:
The floral look is popular and known to be fashionable in many Indian wedding celebrations! The braid is first done in a messy manner, after which floral accessories are attached to enhance the overall look. One can have a regular braid or twisted or fishtail braid, as their choice and then go with the choice of floral attachments. This Indian braided hairstyle for medium hair can be even extended to even those who have long hair length.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Wavy hair texture is suitable for this hairstyle.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Wear this for any face shape as it suits all types totally.
- Ideal Age Group: All women in the age group of the late 20s and early 30s can aptly fit in here.
- Perfect Season: Winters and monsoons are good to go in this style.
- Suitable Outfits: Sarees are good to go in this look.
- Preferable Occasion: One can wear this as a guest looking for Indian festivities.
13. Semi Braid Band:
The braid band kind of look is quite normal these days as it is gaining prominence due to its look and overall style. This we can see is braid is done from both sides neatly, and hair accessories are attached to enhance the look. The hair at the end is twirled softly to get in curls to enhance the beauty. Try this hairstyle for saree out if you want a blend of both classic and modern braid style looks.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Wavy and curly hair can go well in this look.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Round, oval and elongated face shapes can fit in well.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this for women of any age below 40 years.
- Perfect Season: Winters are good to go in this look.
- Suitable Outfits: Sarees are an apt choice to try with this look.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for any festivities or occasions.
14. Top Braid Hairstyle:
Top braid styles are among modern twists and tweak to the Indian braid variants. Unlike traditional braids, they are indulged with greater elegance and stylish looks. To get this look, one must first work on a braid near the crown, after which curls should be done on another leftover hair. Soft curls or waves can do justice to get the enhanced style. If you are fond of modern and contemporary looks, then you may want to try this sleek look.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Curly and wavy hair textures are apt to fit in this long braid hairstyles Indian.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Oval, heart and round face shapes can try this look.
- Ideal Age Group: Those in their 20s are good to go in this look.
- Perfect Season: Winters and summers, both are good to go.
- Suitable Outfits: You can choose to wear this style with a western dress or skirt.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for parties or evening outings as you wish.
Read: Dutch Braid Ideas
15. Fluffy Top Braid:
While there are several crown braided hairstyles for Indian weddings, this one is known to be iconic and elegant. Here the hair is well teased equally to bring in a fluffy side braid look in a bun variant at the end. Women who want classic and vintage looks should not miss this style out. This gives a different impression and style along with grace, which one must not miss and ignore!
- Best Hair Type to Try: Any hair texture women can try this style out.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Any face shape is good to go in this style.
- Ideal Age Group: One can wear this look if they are in their 20s and 30s.
- Perfect Season: Summer is a good time to try this style.
- Suitable Outfits: Long gown or saree both are good to go in here.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for wedding reception parties for the best looks.
16. Braid Ponytail:
While a pony is quite common to look at, here comes a braided ponytail hairstyle. This is apt as very long hair Indian braids look like the hair is tightly braided near the crown areas, and brought down to tie into a cute ponytail. This is quite a popular and well-known look for women who love to have a simple and elegant look. It is further easy to do, not difficult and time taking and hence apt when you are running out of time for an event.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Wear this for longer hair and any texture easily.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Oval, heart, round and square face shapes can fit in this look well.
- Ideal Age Group: Those below 35 years can try this look.
- Perfect Season: Winters and summers are good to go in here.
- Suitable Outfits: Ethnic dresses are an apt choice to try this style.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for casual family gatherings or outings.
17. Braid Bun Indian Hairstyle:
Another common south Indian braid hairstyles are modern twist that looks like the braided bun. Those who are wanting to have an elegant and graceful look should try this bun out for enhancing their style quotient. It is quite easy to do and can be customized as per their style’s taste and preferences by adding accessories of their choice.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Any hair texture is suitable for this hairstyle.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Wear this style for round and oval face shapes.
- Ideal Age Group: Women above 45 years can try this style.
- Perfect Season: Summers are good to go and comfortable in this hairstyle.
- Suitable Outfits: Saree and traditional outfits are best for this hairstyle.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this for wedding festivities or celebrations.
Read: Braided Prom Hairstyles
18. Fishtail Braid Leave over:
If you are wondering about a hairstyle with an Indian fishtail braid, then this may be the most suited one for your preferences. Here, the fishtail braid is done at the centre and hair is left over at the ends after doing soft curls. This is best looking for women who are style enthusiasts and want a unique look. A hair floral band of your choice can be added near the crown to elevate the style and beauty of the look.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Curly and wavy hair is the best suitable for this one.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Try this look with oval, round and elongated face shapes.
- Ideal Age Group: Those in their 20s and 30s can fit in this style well.
- Perfect Season: Any season is good to go with this look.
- Suitable Outfits: Long gowns or dresses are the best for this hairstyle.
- Preferable Occasion: One can wear this style during wedding celebrations only.
19. Side Messy Braid Style:
Another variant of side braided hairstyles for girls is this variant. Here this braid is done only from one side corner to the beneath part and pinned up with another leftover hair. This is a modern twist on the braided side style and is prominent in women who have dense and thick hair. The fluffy and voluminous hair can be well flaunted in this look with style!
- Best Hair Type to Try: Wavy hair is the best to get into this style well.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Wear this style with any face shape as you wish!
- Ideal Age Group: Those in their 30s are well in this hairstyle look.
- Perfect Season: Try this style during monsoons and winters.
- Suitable Outfits: Nice salwar suits are best for this hairstyle.
- Preferable Occasion: Wear this style during any celebrations or festivities.
20. Neat Braid Bun Hairstyle:
In case you are looking for a neat braided bun style, which is getting in fashion in recent decades, well, you may want to look at this variant. Here the hair is neatly and tight combed near the crown, and a braid is done to roll it up to high lift. If you have dense and thick hair, your look can be best in this style. The braid bun look is getting popular in fashion circles these days in the country.
- Best Hair Type to Try: Any hair type can try this style well.
- Best Face Shape to Try: Wear this for oval and elongated face shapes only.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s and 30s, both can look good in here.
- Perfect Season: Wear this style during summer or winter.
- Suitable Outfits: Long gowns or dresses are best for this style.
- Preferable Occasion: One can wear this style for high-end fashion parties or events.
Read: Different Hairstyles With Braiding Hair
Given the popular Indian braid styles, here we come with additional tricks and tips to elevate your style quotient,
- Make sure the braids are done neatly in all of the hairstyles as they are ones which enhance the overall beauty.
- Hair should be well-nourished and hydrated to get the shine in.
- Condition hair well after every shampoo to retain the natural and essential oils in the hair.
- Hair oil massage every week can help the hair texture get smooth and thick naturally without hassle. This can, in turn, help to braid styles to get easy and smooth.
- Wash your hair every three to four days, And also clean your scalp.
Given the popular Indian braid hairstyles, tell us which your favourite style out of all is. These are well blended and mixed traditional looks, modern and festive looks. You can choose them as per your event and preference in hand and try them out. They will surely add elegance and grace to your overall style!
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Which Indian braids suit well for women over 50 years?
Ans: For women above 50 years, one may want to consider a braided top bun, longer Indian braid style, or side braid hair to look good for several occasions and festivities.
Q2. How to make sure the bridal braid style does not budge from its place for a longer time?
Ans: In case you want the bridal braiding styles to stick to a place for a longer day, then you may want to use hair spray. This can help to make the style stick to its place for a longer duration. Further, make sure to secure all pins and elastics in place properly.
Q3. Is it good to have braid styles every day regularly?
Ans: In case you maintain your hair well and give it time to rejuvenate itself regularly, you can have the braid looks regularly. Make sure you leave your hair at night before you sleep from all the styling.