Lower back pain can be a real nuisance. It doesn’t let you take long relaxing walks, doesn’t let you be comfortable while sitting and so makes long meeting hours impossible to endure and it often annoys you while sleeping too! And the worst thing about it is that you do nothing about its worsening situation, except curse and swear of course! Here are nine exercises which will help relieve some of your pain. So stop being lazy and get rid of this pain.
1. Knee to Chest:
Here is another easy exercise for backache pain that you can try at home.
- Point the toes to the ceiling by way of lying flat on your back.
- Now, bend the right knee and slowly bring your leg up to your chest.
- Hold the arms around the knee and pull a little more towards your chest.
- Stay in the position for 20 seconds and now slowly bring your leg to the starting position.
Doing this thrice for each leg everyday is a good way to get rid of lower back pain.
2. Restful Pose:
This pose is common in yoga and will help relax your body.
- Lie down with your hands and knees on the floor making sure your knees are wider than the hip distance apart.
- Push your hips backwards. When you bend the knee, this position becomes possible. Slowly, turn your toes in to touch the floor.
- Let your head fall in a relaxed position forward and allow your hands to extend fully forward. Ensure you feel comfortable.
- Stay in the pose for at least 20 second and do it three times daily to see best results.
Warning: In case you have a shoulder pain, you can place the arms on either side of the body by extending towards your feet.
3. Lying Knee Twist:
The exercise helps to strengthen the para spinal muscles and the abdominal muscles. Here is how you can exercise to reduce lower back pain.
- Extend your legs straight out and lie down on your back, on a mat.
- Bring the right knee up and cross it over the left side of your body.
- You will now feel a slight stretch on your buttocks and throughout your back. Remain in position for 20 seconds.
- Bring back the knee to resting position and repeat the same thrice on each side.
4. Cobra Stretch:
This is another common stretching exercise for those with lower back pain.
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Slowly extend your leg and rest your palms on either side of your head or shoulder. Your forearms and elbows should be flat on the floor.
- Gently push your body upwards and let the body weight rest on your forearms.
- When you do this, your hips should be grounded on the floor.
- Your abdominal muscles will now stretch, along with your lower back. Remain in position for 10 seconds and return to starting position.
Repeat the exercise at least five times every day.
See More: Lower Chest Exercises At Home
5. The Partial Crunch:
Partial crunch is a good exercise to ease lower back pain. It helps in strengthening the core muscles and builds strength in your lower back muscles.
- Bend your knees and keep your feet flat on the floor while you lie down on your back.
- Cross your hands behind your head and keep your stomach muscles tight. Gently raise your shoulder from the floor.
- When you raise your shoulder, exhale. Stay in the position for 5 seconds and gently lower yourselves back to the starting position.
Repeat the exercise for at least 10 times every day.
6. Modified leg Lifts:
These are different from the normal leg lifts. Try this out for a change.
- Bend one leg at the knee and keep the other straight when you lie down on your back.
- Now, slowly lift the straight leg up for about 5 inches off the ground. Stay in the position for about 10 seconds.
- Bring this leg back to its starting position.
Do this at least 10 times for each leg every day.
7. Wall Sits:
This time you are not going to sit on the couch and worsen the pain. Try this instead!
- Stand with your back facing the wall. Leave 10 to 11 inches between you and the wall.
- Lean towards the wall and ensure your back is flat against it.
- Press your lower back to the wall and slide down until your knees are bent.
- Hold on to this position for about 15 seconds and slowly slide up the wall.
A regular practice is a must to see effective results.
8. Seated Twisting:
For this exercise you
- Sit cross legged in the typical yoga fashion, with your back ramrod straight and your head held high. Now adjust your legs so that one leg crosses over the other.
- Then twist your body in that leg’s direction. Try to go as far as possible.
- Feel the muscles in the sides of your back strain as you pull at them.
- Hold on to the position. Now come back slowly and repeat the entire process in the other direction.
Stay away from doing it or exercise caution in case you tend to feel any pain on your hips.
See More: Benefits Of Brisk Walking
9. Rocking Baby:
For this exercise, you need to
- lie down on your yoga mat.
- Take a deep relaxing breath and bring your knees up to your chest.
- Now rock your body from one side to the other. Make sure that you hold your legs as close to your chest as possible while rocking.
- Feel the strain of the muscles in your lower back.
Knee or hip problem is one precaution you need to watch out for. In case you have any of this, exercise with caution. 90
10. Sleeping Yogi:
For this exercise you need to be
- lying down. This is another twisting exercise. Fold one of your legs. Then bend it sideways such that your knee is touching the floor.
- Now twist your body in the other direction you feel a pleasant strain as your muscles stretch.
- Slowly bring your leg back to its normal position and then repeat the entire process with your other leg.
11. Body Bending:
This is the simplest one for lower back pain relief exercises at home that you can try.
- Sit down with your legs stretched before you. Now fold one leg, keeping the other straight. Raise the arm of the side which has the leg stretched straight.
- Bend your body and try to touch the toes of aforementioned leg. Hold your position. Then bring yourself up slowly.
- Now stretch the folded leg and fold the stretched leg and repeat the entire process.
12. Stretched Leg Twisting:
This is another kind of seated twisting.
- For this exercise you need to first sit with your legs stretched. Then fold one of your knees and bring it up to the level of your chest.
- Now take the arm of the side with the stretched leg and rest its elbow upon the folded knee and twist your body in that direction. Hold your position.
- Come back to the original position and repeat the procedure in the other direction.
13. Climbing The Wall:
Wondering how? For this exercise,
- lie down close to the wall.
- Then raise your legs straight up in the air and hold your butt against the wall. Use it as support to hold your legs up.
- Slowly bend your legs towards your body. Then take it back up against the wall.
14. Push Ups:
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Place your palms on both sides of your face and keep your toes pointed downwards.
- Now slowly raise your upper body putting pressure upon your arms. Go up till your arms are straight.
- Then go down and repeat the procedure.
15. Mountain Rise:
- Lie down on your back. Fold both your legs and bring them up.
- Brace your arms on both sides and then raise the mid section of your body.
- Bring it down and the take it up again.
See More: Fun Ways To Exercise
16. Bend Backwards:
- Sit down on your knees. Then get up such that you are sitting with just your caves touching the floor.
- Now one by one take your arms back in an arc such that you are arching.
This exercise is the best strengthening exercise for lower back pain.
Yoga has been attested as one of the best workout for curing many ailments, that includes lower back pain, strengthening the core muscles or even for curing irregular pregnancy. All of its success depends on how regular you do it. Start practicing today and live healthy!