Suffering from oily hair, are you? Well there is some good news now, which we would like to share. Chin up and let the hair dance, for now we shall tell you about treatments which would do wonders. We aren’t talking about over the counter products, chemically induced services or cutting your hair short. You like them long, so do we, so let’s learn more about how we could go ahead and get the tresses free of oil.
What you need to start off with is, choosing shampoos that have astringent in them but herbal ones only. These are shampoos which would help bring down the sebum production and maintain the pH levels of the scalp too. Remember, it is because of the overdrive of sebaceous glands that extra oil is formed on the scalp, giving your hair an oily look in the long run.
See More: How To Treat Dry Hair At Home
What is Sebum?
It is a substance which is waxy in nature and produced by the culprit sebaceous glands. Near the hair follicles is where you would find these glands nesting. They produce enough oil and sometime plenty of it, which makes the scalp dirty, grimy and irritating to manage. It is because of an over production of the oils by the glands that the hair looks messy and greasy, oily in most cases. Oily hair brings down the texture of the hair, the volume and the beauty of your tresses at large.
The amount of oil produced depends on the humidity conditions, the temperature and the time of the year. You have people with oily hair from the roots till the tip, throwing in a greasy scalp as well, and there are those who have oily scalps and hair up to the mid shaft and the ends.
Home Treatments for Oily Hair:
Causes of Oily Hair:
For some it could be heredity, while for the rest it could be environmental factors. There are those who have oily hair because of a bad diet and the rest because of hormonal imbalances and diseases too. However, all hope isn’t lost, for now there are remedies and tips to use. Hence please read on and be well-informed for the same.
Tips On Caring And Treating Oily Scalp And Hair:
- Ensure that the scalp and hair is clean.
- Shampoo should be herbal and mild.
- Shampoo and conditioner ONLY meant for OILY hair should be used.
- No conditioning the scalp.
- Chemically induced styling products should be NO-NO.
- Rinsing should be done with lukewarm water only.
- Built-in conditioners shouldn’t be used at all.
- Don’t overdo with the hair brushing.
- Eat non oily non fatty non greasy foods.
- Tie your hair while you work out.
See More: Tips For Healthy Hair In Summer
Tips To Treat Oily Hair From The Kitchen:
- Did you know one whole lime when juiced and in its concentrated form would help bring down the oiliness from your hair.
- Apple cider vinegar, a cup of it used as a rinse would help bring down the oil levels too
- Paste of lemon rind and aloe vera with a cup of herbal shampoo done thrice a week would be effective.
- Flat beer to rinse your hair with does wonders.
- A bath soap used once a week would do good, since soaps have properties that steal oils.
- If you are in a hurry and have no cornstarch around, use baby powder to soak up the oiliness.
- Get the powder sprinkled and comb your hair, that’s it.
- A dry shampoo made of cornstarch too can work wonders.
- Ensure you drink at least ten glasses of water daily.
- Fruits and veggies need to be eaten, for their properties help with hair care.
- Olive oil, fish and nuts are best for oily hair tackling, consume them as you wish.
Does Exercising Help?
Yes, it does and to a large extent, let’s see how;
- Apart from improving blood circulation, exercising for at least thirty minutes everyday helps promote hair in good health.
- Yoga and deep breathing helps promote healthy hair too, say experts. With yoga, the blood flow would increase to the scalp and healthy scalps promote healthy hair naturally. Try the “Supported Headstand”, or the “Wind Relieving Pose” or even the “Camel Pose”
Check With Your Doctor:
Please remember, not all solutions for oily hair management would be in your kitchen or over some counter. There could be underlying ailments that lead to hair being oily, for which you should consult your family doctor for the same.
See More: How To Take Care Of Hair In Winter
Homemade Treatment for Oily Hair:
- Lemon juice mixed with a banana and applied over the hair would be best home remedy to treat oily hair issues. Rinse using warm water and gently, so as to not activate the sebaceous glands.
- Beer when flat makes a good rinse, which we mentioned. But a few tablespoons of vodka or rum would work wonders too. It cleans the scalp, removes the grime and dirt and allows the hair to bounce and shine, without looking oily.
- Make a home live-n conditioner or a leave-in conditioning agent, using apple cider vinegar mixed with water in equal measures. Use a spray to administer the concoction every two hours, which prevents build up, grime and dirt from coming on to your scalp.
- Diluted green tea would be best as an antioxidant and an astringent. Spray every two hours for lovely hair.
- Eat healthy, stay away from oily and greasy foods; get more of omega 3 fatty acids in the form of fish and nuts and olive oil into your system. Carrots and spinach would do fine as well, include vitamin A in abundance and more protein as well.
We hope these tips and information comes in handy!! Follow these oily hair treatment tips and watch how the hair does the talking and winning the world for you.