Pineapple is a great fruit that comes from the tropical regions of the world. It is a firm fruit with a thorny and thick outer cover and a leaf head. The soft flesh of the fruit is filled with wonder and freshness. You need to cut off the thick skin and then eat the fruit within. This fruit has all the many nutrients that we need for a healthy body. Having pineapple is great for bones, digestive health, as well as the Vitamin content in the fruit, is perfect for you. Rich in Vitamin C, this fruit is best eaten fresh. You can get canned fruits as well. Pineapple during pregnancy can give you the necessary Vitamins and folate that the body and your baby require.
Nutritional Value of Pineapple During Pregnancy:
The wonderful nutrients in pineapple are perfect for a pregnant woman. As one cup of pineapple has almost the whole amount of required Vitamin C needed for a day, adding pineapple to the diet is a good idea. It also has magnesium, iron, copper, folate, manganese and Vitamin B6. These are great not only for the pregnant mother but also for the baby growing inside. So try and add the fruit to your daily diet either in the form of a smoothie or just a dessert.
Is it Safe to Eat Pineapple in Pregnancy:
Pineapple for pregnant ladies is a wonderful way to add freshness and zing in your diet. But many old people would say that having pineapple would cause a miscarriage. So is pineapple good for pregnancy? Yes, it is. Only pineapple tablets should be avoided as they contain more amount of bromelain. But the fresh fruit can quickly be eaten during pregnancy.
Benefits of Eating Pineapple During Pregnancy:
As grandmothers and old ladies have misspelt notions about some things, it becomes difficult for young mothers to decide whether certain foods are good for them or not. The main question is it safe to eat pineapple during pregnancy is asked by many young mothers. As the benefits outways any ill effects, you can safely have pineapple during pregnancy. Vitamin C and B6 and the folate all are necessary for the baby’s growth. So the benefits of eating pineapple are excellent.
Fruits are one of the essential food items that you can add to your daily diet while pregnant. All fruits like apples, pineapples, bananas, strawberries, pears, etc. are wonderful ways to feel fresh and active. Fruits give you immense power and energy throughout the day. So having cut fruits in your box while travelling or when you are at work is also a good idea. Each of the fruits has its own nutrient value. These include Vitamin C and other nutrients like folate, manganese, etc. Nutrients in your diet are an excellent way to add energy to the body. The natural sweetness of these fruits means that you do not have to rely on artificial sweeteners and this gives you better health choices. Try the fruits either for breakfast or before meals to have all the benefits and their nutritional power.
1). Immune System:
As pineapple contains enough of Vitamin C, it helps to maintain a healthy immune system. This is beneficial for pregnant women and the baby growing inside. So can we eat pineapple during pregnancy is not a question you need to ask as it is quite helpful?
2). Bone Health:
Pineapple has the perfect amount of manganese to keep your bones in check. The connective tissues and the bones that need manganese are all present in pineapple. Can pregnant women eat pineapple is very sure, and you can eat them daily in limited amounts?
3). Digestive Health:
During pregnancy, the mother always suffers from constipation, and it is difficult to pass motions easily. Since pineapple has a fibre content in it, it is a perfect food item for pregnant women. The benefits of pineapple in pregnancy can be seen in this most critical factor.
4). Cold and Sinus:
As pregnant women cannot take medicines during pregnancy, there are times when they develop cold, and this can cause problems. Pineapple has Vitamin C which helps in the process of relieving the symptoms of a cold.
[ See More : Custard Apple (Sitaphal) In Pregnancy ]
Side Effects of Pineapple in Pregnancy:
As with anything, having too much is always wrong. The same goes for pineapple as well. The pineapple pregnancy myth is not true but at the same time caution needs to be taken. There are pineapple side effects on pregnancy due to the high level of bromelain.
- If you have a very sensitive stomach, then you need to be careful of the amount of pineapple you eat. As there are acids in the pineapple, this can affect your system and cause heartburn.
- There can be allergic reactions to eating pineapple too. This can be itching or any minor swelling, some amount of skin rashes, congestion. Some people may also have asthma attacks due to the pineapple.
- Do check after eating pineapple as the reaction should surface after a few minutes of consuming it. Once you feel that you have some effect of the pineapple, then do check with your doctor and take treatment for the same.
So even though pineapple is safe to consume during pregnancy, it should be taken in moderation, and then you should check with your doctor if any ill effects are found. Why pregnant people cannot eat pineapple is not something you should consider.
How to Include Pineapple in The Pregnancy Diet:
Now we tell you how to add this to your diet and get all the benefits,
- Eat it fresh cut with your breakfast. Add some salt or sugar or even chat masala for that Indian touch.
- Add the fruit to your favourite smoothie to give you a refreshing start to the day
- You can also put thick cut pineapple pieces on the grill, and this gives it a pleasant taste as the sugar caramelises.
- Make a salsa with pineapple and have this with your Mexican meals. This is quite refreshing and the easiest method to do it.
- During the summers you can make some pineapple lollies and have it. Just blend it and put in the Popsicle makers.
When to Avoid Pineapple During Pregnancy:
Pineapple just like any other fruit is a perfect complement to your daily diet. The benefits of the fruit have been mentioned above. But at the same time, it is possible that the fruit may be harmful. Once you are sure that the fruit gives you some allergic reactions, then you need to avoid it. Pineapple during pregnancy first trimester is when you need to check for any reactions. By the time you reach the next, pineapple during pregnancy second trimester will not be an issue. For some women, pineapple during third pregnancy trimester may cause some problems too.
How to Have Pineapple During Pregnancy:
Pineapple during pregnancy is an issue that most mothers are wary of. So avoid all the myths, we have given you the benefits of pineapple. The ways in which to eat pineapple are immense. If you are a family member who is taking care of pregnant women, then here are some ways in which to make it unique and exciting. Here are some recipes to try
- Make an excellent smoothie for her. You need to take pieces of the pineapple and put them in a blender. Add sugar according to the taste. A bit a salt also adds to the flavour. You can add some mint to the blender. This gives a very fresh feeling.
- Try a delicious salsa. Here you will need onions, pineapple, tomatoes, chillies, coriander leaves. Chop all these ingredients finely and add to the bowl. Add salt, lemon juice and mix them all together.
- You can go ahead and also make a lip-smacking pizza. Just use pineapple as a delicious topping to your favourite Hawaiian pizza.
- Cut pieces of pineapple chunks and serve with mint sugar. Here the mint should be ground with sugar in a mortar and pestle. Add this to the pineapple. This becomes a wonderful dessert.
- Grilling is another option. Take the grill and heat it well. Cut pineapple into chunks and then place on the hot grill. You can marinate it with sugar too. This will help the caramelisation process immensely. This goes well as a dessert option during a barbeque session.
- For the summers, you can blend pineapple with sugar, mint and add the puree to a popsicle maker. Then place the popsicles in the freezer to freeze. Have this cold dessert for a refreshing take.
Myths of Pineapple During Pregnancy:
There are several myths about pineapple consumption during pregnancy. Some of these include miscarriage or early labour. This may not be possible due to pineapple. There is no scientific theory that will support any of this. So it’s just some old people’s tales as at that time medicine was not thorough. So it must have been wrongly thought of as some pregnant lady would have a miscarriage after eating the fruit. There would not have been any correlation to the fruit, but since medical evidence wasn’t there at that time, it would have added to the myth.
How to Select a Pineapple to Consume During Pregnancy:
Not only during pregnancy but even at other times, it is essential to know how to buy a fresh pineapple. One of the easiest methods to tell if a pineapple is fresh is to pluck the first thin leaves of the head. If they come off easily, then the pineapple is ripe. This makes it easy to know a ripe pineapple from an unripe one.
Pineapple during pregnancy and its benefits are great for your body. As with all fruits, check for freshness and ripeness. Buy good quality fresh fruits and wash and eat them quickly. If you are buying canned pineapples, then make sure the expiry date is checked. Buy new cans and eat them quickly once opened. Vitamin C and the other nutrients of pineapple are best for you and your baby. Make it a habit to eat fresh fruits in your daily diet. Have pineapple in various ways to give yourself a refreshing change.
Frequently Answered Questions :
1). Is pineapple juice good for pregnant women?
Ans: Pineapple juice for pregnant women is good as long as it is fresh. It can be made from fresh pineapples, or it can be had from fresh juice bottles. Make sure you do not have canned products more and stick to freshly squeezed juice. It is always better to have pineapple juice during pregnancy. This gives you all the better health benefits and nutrients.
2). Can you have pineapple during the pregnancy stages?
Ans: Pineapple is a wonderful fruit that you can have during your pregnancy too. This can be had during all the stages of your pregnancy. 37weeks pregnant eating pineapple is what you can do for health benefits. This is perfect for any month of your pregnancy. Just make sure you have it in moderation. You can have juice, smoothie or in normal recipes.
3). How much quantity of pineapple to have during pregnancy?
Ans: You can have pineapple during pregnant and have it in moderation. This way you take in all the benefits of the pineapple and also do not suffer from any heartburn. So having a few pieces each day is really good for you and your baby.