“Skirts for Plus Size women? Are you kidding me?”. These were the statements made by people a few years back, before the entry of Plus-Sized clothing in the market. Fortunately, these rules are passed and there is no room for any compromise. It’s now a new “normal” for big framed women to twirl in flowy skirts or flaunt their curves in figure-hugging minis, with such great freedom of choice.
Thanks to many brands who strongly advocate body positivity and diversity, there is a special segment dedicated to making women’s Plus size skirts, which come in different models. These outfits are tailor-made for sizes starting from 16 to above and designed to complement their unique body structures. So, let us take a look at popular skirt types for large women, along with stylebook and 10 latest designs.
What Are The Suitable Skirts For Plus Sized Ladies?
Before taking a look at the various skirt types, there is a very important step to follow. That is to Change your perception about your body and start accepting the way it is. You need to open up your mind and be prepared to break the stereotypes.
Once you have done this, we can help you learn about the many types of skirts available for you to try:
- Floor Length Skirts: If you are a newbie to skirts, then this style would be a safe bet. The long length skirt conceals your lower body and instead draw attention on your waist line.
- Knee Length Skirts: This is a great choice for Plus Sized women and is popular for its airy look. You can show off your legs in confidence and at the same time, stay in your comfort zone.
- Short Skirts: If you are bold and don’t mind revealing your thighs, miniskirts are ideal. The above-the-knee styles can actually work for big sizes if styled well.
- Flared Skirts: These are designed in an A-line pattern and have many flares. They come in both, long and short models and are quite versatile for styling.
- Fitted Skirts: For those who prefer figure-hugging outfits, fitted models like body cons, pencil skirts are an ideal option.
Latest and Comfortable Skirts for Plus Size Women with Pictures:
Explore these images of Plus size women in skirts and understand how you can recreate similar looks at home.
1. Plus Size Denim Skirt:
Take a look at this short length, denim skirt that can bring out the chirpy side in you. The acid wash fabric is designed with a front zipper ad three-button closure. It has seams all over the body and the waist is also given a lovely detailing. Just wear it with a basic white tee and watch all your admirers go in awe of you!
- Design: Sky Blue Short Length Denim Skirt
- Fabric: Cotton Denim
- Preferred Occasions: Casual and College Wear
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain or Printed T-Shirts, Crop Tops
2. Plus Size Long Skirt:
Get the Hawaiian inspired look with this beautiful long skirt. Designed with an elastic waist belt, the skirt sits quite comfortably, without squishing your belly in. It is made with lightweight, flowy material that can hide your bulky bottom. The heavy prints also divert the attention of your body and make you look sensuous.
- Design: Leaf Printed Floor-Length, Flared Skirt For Women
- Fabric: Polyester
- Preferred Occasions: Beaches, Colleges, Parties and even Clubs
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain tank tops or tees
3. Plus Size Pencil Skirt:
Look curvalicious in this gorgeous piece! The elastic, figure-hugging skirt complements your beautiful curves and makes you look glamorous. Made with cotton material, the outfit doesn’t choke your body and instead keeps it airy. The best way to wear this piece is with a basic camisole, a denim jacket and a pair of sneakers.
- Design: Cocoa Brown Mid-Length Pencil Skirt
- Fabric: Elastane
- Preferred Occasions: Casual, College
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain tank tops, tees, Flowy shirts
4. Plus Size Midi Skirt:
Look smart in this pastel-coloured Midi skirt that is ideal for balmy summers. The lovely lilac, A-line skirt brings in a retro vibe with the front pleats and the centre button panel. A neat waistband secures the skirt in place and hides your belly fat. Along with the regular tees, you can even try this unusual combination with browns.
- Design: Lilac Midi A-Line Skirt
- Fabric: Rayon
- Preferred Occasions: Shopping, College, Holiday Wear
- Suitable Upper Wear: Printed Tops, T-Shirts
5. Plus Size Pleated Skirt:
Look like a Gothic beauty in this raven black pleated skirt. The floor-length design showcases narrow pleats on the waistline, which goes all the way down. It has a flowy look and is quite comfortable for long wear too. Also, a slight shimmer is added to the material, which makes it perfect for clubwear too!
- Design: Black Pleated Floor Length Skirt
- Fabric: Shimmer Georgette
- Preferred Occasions: Club Wear, Parties, Casual Outings
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain Tees, Tight Fitting Tops
6. Plus Size High Waisted Skirt:
Try this beauty next time you want to make heads turn! The zebra printed, the breezy skirt is all you need for this springtime! It is a floor-length design that comes with a wide waist belt to make it sit up high. It can even work like a tummy-shaper and give an illusion of a flat and slimmer look. Just keep it basic and wear it with a plain t-shirt.
- Design: Black and White Striped High Waisted Skirt
- Fabric: Georgette
- Preferred Occasions: Casual, Holiday Wear
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain Tees like Pink, Yellow, Black and White
7. Plus Size Floral Skirt:
Check out this super-fresh look that looks like it is straight out of a garden. The stylish spring-inspired outfit makes you feel renewed with its bright prints. The short length, A-line Skirt comes with a wide waistline, followed by pleats for a crisp look. Instead of playing it safe, you can even experiment with a contrast printed top and create a statement.
- Design: Navy Blue Floral Printed A-Line Skirt
- Fabric: Satin
- Preferred Occasions: Party Wear, Colleges, Casual Outings
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain or Printed Tees. Fitting Tops.
8. Plus Size Leather Skirt:
Why stick to the routine, when you can show your VaVaVoom side? Take a look at this glossy leather short skirt, which can earn you a second glance, where you go! The fitted outfit accentuates your bottom half, without being garish. It has a centre zipper to open or close and also to add a little metallic touch!
- Design: Maroon Leather Bodycon Skirt
- Fabric: Faux Leather
- Preferred Occasions: Night Parties, Club Wear
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain T-Shirts
9. Plus Size Cotton Skirt:
Bring out this Boho chic inside you with this cotton maxi skirt. The dark blue, smoked design is a suitable fit for college and everyday wear. It is also very easy to style with and can be paired with almost any coloured t-shirt. You can dress up and dress down by adding accessories like statement neckpieces, earrings or simply a straw hat!
- Design: Navy Blue Cotton Floor Length Skirt
- Fabric: Cotton
- Preferred Occasions: Casual Outings
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain T-Shirts
10. Plus Size Striped Skirt:
How about this nautical style? This navy inspired blue and white skirt is sure to transform you from a girl-next-door to a pretty damsel! It is a floor-length model which even comes with a self-tie cloth belt on the waist. You can even check out this coordinated top, which looks like a cherry on top of a delicious cake!
- Design: Navy Blue and White Striped Skirt
- Fabric: Polyester
- Preferred Occasions: Date Nights, Outings and Parties
- Suitable Upper Wear: Plain Tops or Contrast Colored Tees
How To Style Plus-Size Ladies Skirts?
Now, let us move on to acing the perfect look with a Skirt on your gorgeous plus-size figure:
- If you have never tried skirts before, then we recommend a floor length skirt in A-Line. Go with flowy materials like georgette that can make you look slim.
- For a more formal look, pair your mid-length skirt with a button-down shirt. Choose subtle colors like grey, maroon, black or brown.
- Steal the show in a night party by showing your “mini” side. Experiment with shimmery, metallic shirts and pair it with a backless top to look like a bomb.
- To look casual, go for printed skirts that are light and breezy. You can try florals, animals or even abstract art. Prints on Prints work well too. So, don’t shy away from trying that trend.
- Avoid horizontal stripes and materials that make you look bulky like cotton, linen.
- Wear stylish footwear and even knee length boots with your short skirts for a thinner appearance.
Don’t these skirt styles for plus size women make you go “Wow”? We are sure you are amazed and inspired by these designs. Just forget what the world has to say about you and keep in mind that you are dressing up for “yourself”. Break the rules and go easy with your choices. Try these fabulous models and understand what looks good for you and what doesn’t. This way, you can slowly start creating your own mini runway and gain oodles of confidence!