Who does not like to portray a beautiful, confident, and a well-groomed look? Hair is a vital part of making us look attractive and smart. It is a common notion among all that grey hair can spoil it all, both by way of looks and beauty. While there may be many reasons for grey hair, it is one of the most common concerns among all age groups in the present-day era- be it the young or the old. Premature aging of hair and greying of hair is seen prevalently among the younger generations today.
Hence, as they say, prevention is always better than cure! Know all about the causes of grey hair and tips or precautions to prevent the occurrence of grey hair here. This comprehensive guide will answer all your queries – from what causes grey hair to precautions that one can take.
Causes and Reasons for Grey Hair:
Grey hair mostly occurs when the hair follicles do not receive the required pigment into the hair strands. Then the hair turns grey and then eventually turns to a silvery-white color. There are several grey hair causes. One cannot tell exactly what specific reasons or causes leads to getting grey hair. They may differ from person to person as per their medical concerns, lifestyle, or genetics. Here are some of the most common causes, and one must know how to prevent it.
1. Genetics Cause Grey Hair:
The most common reasons for grey hair is genetics. Well, it is the truth! Age is a predominant factor for many, which leads to hair strands turning grey in color, but a few individuals may end up with grey hair and aging of hair even before they turn 30. In this case, it is mostly due to genetics. This is because the children may have got the genes from their parents, which lead to premature greying of hair. If genetics is the cause, you can consult a doctor for better results and treatment under medical supervision.
2. Melanin Deficiency:
What causes grey hair in teenage years? This is mostly caused due to a lack of melanin pigment in the hair. This can cause your hair to turn white and grey. The reduction of melanin in your hair is all due to one’s lifestyle – about unhealthy food habits and hair not receiving the required nutrition. If melanin falls below the required levels, then you may have grey hair that is overcome through a nutritious and healthy diet.
3. Medical Conditions:
If it occurs, excluding the above two situations, what causes gray hair? Grey hair is caused due to medical conditions. It could be from a vitamin deficiency, B12 deficiency, or thyroid. In this case, one must undergo necessary tests to confirm and diagnose the exact cause and take adequate medications.
Any imbalance in your hormones can also cause hair to turn grey. This diagnosis is possible only by consulting a doctor or your medical provider. Proper nutrition and food, along with an active, healthy lifestyle, can reduce such instances of grey hair.
5. Stress and Pressure in Life:
There is nothing more significant than having a stable mental life. Mental health is equally vital as having good physical health. Any work-life stress or pressure, along with personal pressures, may result in aging of hair.
6. Lifestyle Habits:
Unhealthy lifestyle is one of the main reason for grey hair. Be it excess alcohol or junk food consumption or even smoking, your hair may turn white and grey. This is all about having unhealthy lifestyle habits. Hence, a healthy change is required to prevent grey hair.
7. Chemical Products on Hair:
Be it chemical-based shampoos or conditioners or soaps and dyes; your hair may be turning grey. The allergic reactions or having too many harsh chemicals can damage your hair health. Make sure you do not harm your hair with too much of products loaded with chemicals and try to turn to organic and natural products for the hair!
8. External Factors:
There are occasions where when we go out; we expose our hair to pollution, bad climate, dirt, and impurities that get deposited in the hair, this may speed up the process of aging.
Are you suffering from anaemia? Having symptoms of feeling weak and giddy? Well, this may also be the main reason for grey hair. One requires a sufficient amount of iron, vitamins, and proteins in our body, and any such medical condition associated with it can cause grey hair.
Is Grey Hair Permanent?
The situation of aging hair is never permanent. It majorly depends on one’s lifestyle. If you choose to stay healthy and have a clean lifestyle and habits, you will not suffer from premature aging and greying of hair, as in most of the cases. In case you are suffering from grey hair due to medical conditions or genetics, there is always treatment provided by the dermatologist and medical health care provider. There are always options to have good food, healthy nutrition, and homemade remedies to eliminate the grey hair issue. Find out more about the tips to prevent grey hair in the next section.
Tips to Prevent Grey Hair at Home:
Here are a few best ways to stop grey hair and suggestions in order to prevent the greying of hair.
a. Habits and Health Conditions:
Health conditions and personal lifestyle habits can hamper one’s condition of hair. Here are a few tips.
- Wondering does smoking cause grey hair? Well, you heard it right! If you are a compulsive and regular smoker, then it not only affects and damages your lungs but also will adversely impact your hair too. Those who are addicted to smoking tend to have grey hair sooner. The carcinogens present in cigarettes damage the hair follicles and reduce the production of melanin. Hence, remember, smoking causes grey hair.
- A lifestyle full of stress is another boost for grey hair. Stress and pressure manifest primarily in the form of grey hair and results in de pigmentation of hair. Hence, now it is in your hands on how to adopt a peaceful lifestyle.
- Avoid binge eating of unhealthy food. Work on having a clean and nutritious diet. Keep the hair follicles healthy and add keratin and proteins to hair by having good and nutritious food like green vegetables, fruits, nuts, and omega 3 fatty acids food.
- Use a mild shampoo. Prevent using chemical-based shampoos. This may damage the hair severely and affect it through greying hair follicles.
- Dandruff can also cause grey hair. It is quite necessary to keep the scalp clean. Ensure the scalp is well nourished and deep cleaned regularly. Use products to reduce dandruff and keep your hair healthy and clean
- Mineral deficiency mostly causes grey hair. But what mineral deficiency causes grey hair? It is required to make sure that one receives adequate vitamin D, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin E.
- Check health conditions like thyroid and hormonal disorders at regular intervals. If you are above 25 years, make sure to do a check test every six months. these medical conditions should be treated in time to prevent grey hair
- Do you love using sprays, hair gels, and too many hair products? Also, wondering does hair color cause grey hair? Well, you guessed it right! Do not use too much of hair smoothening gels, sprays, which contain too many harmful chemicals. Keep it natural!
b. Foods to Avoid:
Here are a few best tips to prevent grey hair by avoiding unnecessary foods. Let us see what they are.
- Do not have too much-refined sugar. Sugar is not just bad for health but also bad for aging and grey hair. It makes your hair get grey quicker.
- Skip on junk foods like pizzas, burgers, and fries. They may be tempting, but remember, they are overall bad for health and especially for your hair
- Packet foods might be yummy, but not healthy. Having a packet of processed foods may increase the intensity of greying.
- Do not have too many carbs. Bad carbohydrates may be harmful to your hair, as well. They lead to premature aging of hair.
- Further, it is essential to know vitamin deficiencies, which may cause grey hair and have foods that are rich in vitamins that are deficient.
c. Foods to Eat for Avoiding Grey Hair:
Here are some of the top foods for regular intake to prevent grey hair. This is among the best tips for grey hair prevention one can ever follow!
- Include lots of berries and fruits that are rich in Vitamin C.
- For non-vegetarians, shellfish and oysters would be ideal. The enzymes and zinc present will be beneficial.
- Curry leaves and green leafy vegetables are best for vegetarian options. These contain vitamins, and minerals like zinc, iron, iodine, and selenium
- Eggs are quite abundant in biotin and B12. They help those who want to prevent grey hair and also helps in the overall thickness of hair
- Walnuts and other nuts can also help in obtaining adequate melanin production if consumed regularly.
- Lentils and other dals are the best options for those who are suffering from hair thinning and grey hair issues. Lentils avoid and prevent grey hair; they increase collagen and are packed with vitamin B9 too.
This guide on tips to avoid grey hair and the overall reason for grey hair is quite comprehensive for those who are seeking to understand what the reasons for premature greying of hair are. The tips also show options and remedies to prevent early aging and greying of hair. Ensure that you follow a healthy lifestyle and follow the remedies regularly for your overall well-being as well as best-looking hair. Tell us how you liked this guide; we would love to hear from you!