Imagine attending an office party, only to realize you are stinking like a skunk! What would your reaction be? Fear of being judged, followed by the feeling of embarrassment starts taking you over! It’s time to deal with this pesky problem with our tried and tested body odor remedies! These all-natural methods are sure to help you deal with bad smell without the use of harsh chemicals on your skin! Never let your body stink ruin your public image or distance you from your family and loved ones. Read on to learn about the causes, symptoms, prevention methods and natural home remedies for body odor.
Why Does Body Odor Happen?
There is more than one cause of body odor. The main culprit behind this smelly problem is the bacteria in your apocrine glands, also called Sweat glands. Excessive sweating caused by numerous factors increases this growth, leading to body odor. Some of these are:
- Hot, Pungent Food
- Sulphur based ingredients like garlic, onion, spices
- Lack of Proper Hygiene
- Pubic Hair
- Polyester fabrics
- Medical Issues like Diabetes, Liver problem
Identifying the Signs and Symptoms of Body Odor:
Apart from an unbearable stink, body odor also comes with a set of symptoms like:
- Excessive sweating
- Itching or Irritation
- Hot Flushes
A Guide to Prevent Body Odor:
While home remedies can help in treating body odor, these simple tips can prevent it in the first place:
- Keep your body clean and dry
- Always wear clothes made of natural fibers like cotton, linen
- Avoid Poly blended fabrics, as they can block your sweat
- Say no to Sulphur foods like cabbages, onions, garlic etc., which cause body odor
- Wash your clothes with a good detergent, followed by a fabric conditioner
- Try to keep your underarms hair-free. This can prevent bacterial growth in the area
- If you are experiencing excessive sweating, consult a doctor and get a thorough medical checkup done to diagnose the underlying cause.
Home Remedies for Body Odour:
Here are the top 9 ways to keep body odour away from you:
1. Try to Be Squeaky Clean:
The best remedy for body odor is to keep your body clean. It is recommended to have a clean shower at least two times a day as it reduces the bacterial growth on the skin. According to many researchers, it better to take a shower with warm water to prevent body odor and always use antibacterial soap or sandalwood soap to tackle the body odor.
2. Magnificent Baking Soda:
One of the proven male body odor remedies is Baking Soda, which can be used by women as well. There are two ways one you can apply them.
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and half lemon juice and mix them well and apply on body parts where you sweat in excessively.
- Gently apply on that area and leave it for 2- 3 minutes and clean and take a shower after that.
- Ensure you do not scrub the area and apply daily for a week or two.
In the same process use baking powder and cornstarch and apply in the same way.
This is one of the best home remedies for bad body odor, which can keep you smelling fresh for longer hours.
Precautions: Baking Soda can be harsh on sensitive skins. Pregnant Women and young children must stay away from this remedy.
See More: Home Remedies To Treat Foot Odor
3. Shave The Body and Use Deodorants:
In order to keep bad odour away, you should always shave the hairs on the underarm area as the hair act as a bacteria trapper and produce more sweating and odour. After your shower ensures you nicely dry the area as dry body parts resist bacterial growth. Always use antiperspirant deodorants and the good fragrance keeps the body odour away.
Precautions: Alcohol-based deodorants must be avoided, as they can cause a burning sensation in the skin and lead to inflammation.
4. Angelic Apple Cider Vinegar:
One of the best home remedies for sweaty armpits body odor is ACV. Apple cider Vinegar is miraculous syrup as it has powerful bacteria which fights against the bad odor and even balances the pH levels of the body. You can apply them in two ways:
- You can add one tablespoon on apple cider vinegar to the lukewarm bathing water and soak yourself for 10 -15 minutes.
- Secondly, take some apple cider vinegar and gently rub it in the underarms, leave it for three to four minutes and take a shower. Apply till you find any changes in yourself.
Precautions: ACV is extremely potent and must be diluted before applying on skin directly. Also, we recommend a patch test in a small area before proceeding to larger areas.
5. Take a Bath With Rosemary:
Rosemary resists the growth of odour, causing bacteria and even neutralizes the body odour with its nice fragrance. It contains zinc, whose deficiency can cause body odour. You can use it leaves and the essential oil made from Rosemary.
- Take two cups of dried rosemary leaves to five cups of hot water, soak it for 10-15 minutes and then soak yourself in the water for 10 -15 minutes.
- Nicely pat dry yourself and keep the bad body odour away from you.
- You can even use essential oil, mix five to six drops in a small cup of water and apply on sweating areas and see the difference.
Precautions: Essential oils like Rosemary are not recommended for pregnant women. It is better to avoid them, as these oils are linked to early uterine contractions.
6. Wonderful Turnips:
Turnip has antibacterial properties and reduces the growth of bacteria causing bad odour and it’s loaded with Vitamin C, which inhibits bad odour. You can start consuming turnips and include that as a part of your meal
You can even apply turnip juice on the underarms and groin area and allow it to dry. Then wash it with Luke warm water, you can do this every morning as it keeps the bad odour away for at least 10 hours.
See More: Natural Treatments For Bad Breath
7. Detoxify The Body:
It’s very important that you cleanse the system from inside to stop the bad odour. Detoxify the body as cleanses and remove all the toxins which can get accumulated from unhealthy lifestyle and food habits. So drink plenty of water and once the system is clean the bad odour would also be minimized.
8. Apply with Hazel:
This wonderful witch hazel reduces the ph levels of the skin. Its astringent properties minimize the skin pores and reduce the production of sweat. You can mix hazel with water and keep them in a bottle and spray it twice a day. Even you can put three to four drops in a cotton ball and apply under underarms and see the magic happening. This is one of the best female body odor remedies.
9. Cut Down or Avoid Odour Triggering Foods:
Last , if you want to keep the bad odour away from yourself, stop or resist yourself from eating high calories foods which tends to make you sweat more. Even cut down on onion, garlic which produces bad odour and carbonated drinks, caffeine or alcohol which cause heavy sweating.
These natural home remedies for body odor can give you peace of mind! You will never have to worry or think twice about making the first move with your loved ones. Get your confidence back with these methods, which are not only safe but also economical. Practicing the precautionary tips, along with these methods, can help you stay away from body odor permanently and make you feel better always.
1. How Does Shaving Underarms Help Me Get Rid of Body odor?
Of the many places in a human body, parts like underarms, groin, thighs, etc., are more prone to sweat. This is because they are closed places, with little or no exposure to ventilation. The excess hair in our underarms can trap the bacteria, which tries to break down the proteins in the sweat. This leads to unpleasant smell in the area. Removing these hair regularly can reduce the bacterial breeding ground and lead to less body odor. This practice however doesn’t affect the production of sweat.
2. What is The Difference Between an antiperspirant and a Deodorant?
Antiperspirants and deodorants are aimed to fight body odor. Although used interchangeably, these are two different products with different methods of working. Antiperspirants fight excessive sweating by blocking the sweat glands. This in turn reduces the bacterial growth, which causes body odor. Deodorants on the other hand are just skin perfumes, which camouflage the body odor. They cannot control the sweat or eliminate odor completely.
3. Is it ok to Use a Deodorant Immediately After Shaving The Underarms?
Shaving a sensitive area like the underarms can cause irritation or rash. When you spray an aerosol product immediately after this procedure, it can lead to irritation and inflammation. IT is always recommended to leave the area untouched for a couple of hours to allow the skin to settle down. However, if you must use a deodorant, choose a non-alcoholic product, which is specially designed for sensitive skins.