If you have ever travelled to countries like China and Korea, you must have noticed the unique skin textures of women there. Behind their delicate, almost “glass” like skins lies an ancient secret – Rice Water! That’s right! The impressive benefits of Rice water for skin are sure to give even the most reputed cosmetic brands a run for their money!
To minimise your pores or reduce acne breakouts, Rice water can be the ultimate beauty solution for all your skin woes. The best part is it’s very cheap and easy to prepare at home. Time to take a Korean route by imparting rice water in your daily routine. Are you ready?
Is Rice Water Good for Skin?
There are many reasons why Koreans trust the power of Rice water for skin. Rice is a nutrition-rich grain and a source of essential vitamins and minerals. Infusing rice in water extracts these basic elements in the form of a pale white liquid called Rice water. Studies show that applying rice water directly to the skin can reduce signs of ageing, blemishes and uneven skin tone because of its anti-ageing and antioxidant properties. (1) It has even shown positive effects in reducing skin infections like acne with its anti-microbial agents. (2)
Surprising? Isn’t it? Well, it doesn’t end here! Read along to know more about its benefits for the skin and face.
Important Benefits Of Rice Water for Skin:
Many studies were conducted on the efficacy of rice water for skin, and the results are too good to believe. To help you understand them, we have put together a few significant advantages of rice water application on the skin, backed with research-based facts:
1. Rice Water for Aging:
Did you know that prolonged sun exposure can damage your skin due to UV radiation? This condition is called photo ageing and can be prevented with the topical application of Rice wine (fermented rice water). (3) A thin layer of rice water can shield your skin from harmful rays and reduce wrinkles, dryness and patchy skin tone. An agent called Pitera in fermented rice water can boost collagen formation and cell regeneration, revealing younger, tighter skin!
2. Rice Water for Skin Lightening:
Though there is no scientific evidence behind the skin-lightening properties of Rice water, many experiments have shown visibly apparent faces after regular applications of this liquid. Experts opine that it could be due to phenolic compounds that work as antioxidants. They fight free radicals that cause cellular damage and encourage new cell growth, revealing visibly fairer and glowing skin. (4)
3. Rice Water for Acne Rosacea:
As per certain studies, boiled and soaked rice water contain a higher percentage of Zinc and Selenium. (5) These minerals are powerful anti-microbial agents which can fight infection-causing bacteria that lead to acne and pimples. Starch in this liquid has anti-inflammatory effects on the skin, bringing down the subcutaneous inflammation caused due to microbes.
4. Rice Water for Pigmentation, Dark Spots:
Pigmentation is a result of excess melanin deposits in a particular area. It usually appears on the face due to direct exposure to sun rays. Other factors like age and medication may contribute to this problem too. Rice water can be an excellent remedy for pigmented skin and dark spots, as it contains certain amino acids with anti-melanogenic properties. (6)
5. Rice Water for Open Pores:
One of the most annoying skin problems is having enlarged pores. Fortunately, fermented rice water can deal with this problem too! Applying a layer of this liquid to your skin can shrink pores and create an even-looking surface. With time, it can even tighten your facial skin due to vitamins like B1 and E. You can notice a smooth, porcelain finish on your face.
6. Rice Water for Oily Skin:
Oily skin is caused due to excess production of facial sebum. It gives you a smooth look, attracting impurities and germs. One way to combat this problem is with the help of rice water. Being a natural cleanser, rice water can gently remove unwanted oils and grime from the skin’s surface and mattify it.
7. Rice Water for Dry Skin:
Treat your dry skin woes with the help of Rice water. Using it on your skin can replenish the water levels and instantly hydrate it. Also, using SLS products can damage skin, like cracks, dryness, and flakes. In such cases, taking a rice water bath with a few drops of oil can act as a protective barrier to the skin and minimise water loss. (7)
8. Rice Water for Sensitive Skin:
The best part about using Rice water is its suitability for sensitive skin types! The anti-inflammatory properties of this agent can have a calming effect on skin with rashes, dermatitis and other itchy problems. (8) You can use it on the face or all over the body by bathing in fermented rice water.
Different Types of Rice Water and Preparation Methods:
You can prepare rice water using baking, boiling, and Fermentation. Each method produces a different quality liquid in terms of nutrient levels and the purpose of the application. Let’s learn the recipes in detail:
1. Soaked Rice Water:
Soaking is the simplest method to prepare rice water. You must soak raw rice in plain water and let the infusion happen. You can use different rice varieties like Brown, white, Jasmine, etc. Brown rice water is considered the most effective. Here’s the recipe:
- Raw Rice – ½ Cup.
- Water- 3 Cups.
- Clean Bowl – 1.
- Wash raw rice thoroughly to remove unwanted particles.
- Take a clean bowl and soak the rice grains in the required water.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid for usage.
2. Boiled Rice Water:
Another method for preparing rice water is by boiling rice grains in water. Unlike the soaked rice water, the liquid extracted using this recipe has a thicker consistency and cloudy white colour. Cooking helps release the starch from rice, which is beneficial for inflammatory skin problems. Below is the recipe.
- Raw Rice – ½ Cup.
- Water – 1 Cup.
- Rinse rice with water and transfer it to a clean vessel.
- Now add double the amount of water.
- Cook it until the liquid turns into white colour.
- Separate the cooked rice water for further use.
3. Fermented Rice Water:
Many experts believe that fermented rice water offers your skin the most benefits. It contains more antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents to fight cell damage and other issues. It is also a traditionally approved method by the ancient Chinese. Here’s how to do it at home:
- Raw Rice – ½ Cup.
- Water- 3 Cups.
- Clean Bowl – 1.
- In a clean bowl, add rice and water.
- Soak the grains for 30 minutes.
- Strain the water in a container.
- Keep it in a closed area for 2 days for fermentation.
- Strain the fermented water for use.
DIY Rice Water Skin Care Remedies:
You must have already noticed the popularity of rice water in many branded cosmetics and skincare products. Though the key ingredient is rice water in these products, a generous mix of chemicals and additives can harm your skin. Plus, they are priced very high and out of reach for many of us. The good news is that you can prepare your rice water products at home using these steps.
1. Rice Water Toner:
Rice water toner is a beautiful product to include in your skincare routine. It balances the natural pH levels of the skin to give you clean and clear skin. Using it after cleansing your face can shrink the pores and smoothen the skin’s surface. That’s not all! It can even act as a protective layer to protect your skin from the sun and environmental damage. Here is how you can make it at home:
- Rice – ½ Cup.
- Water – 3 Cups.
- Spray Bottle.
- Prepare rice water by soaking washed rice in water.
- After 30 minutes, strain the liquid.
- Transfer it to a spray bottle.
- Please leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- To use, spray the water on a clean, dry face.
- Allow it to air dry and use it twice a day for best results.
2. Fermented Rice Serum:
This nourishing essence is made with fermented rice water and essential oils. Using it regularly can hydrate your skin and give it a natural glow. It can be used as a moisturiser, hydrating lotion, or overnight cream for deep restoration and repair of cells. Let’s quickly look into the steps to prepare it:
- Fermented Rice Water – 1 Cup.
- Spray Bottle.
- Few drops of Essential Oils – Geranium/Rose etc.,
- First, prepare fermented water using the recipe mentioned above.
- Transfer it to a spray bottle and add a few drops of essential oils.
- Shake well and refrigerate the solution.
- Use it as a toner or moisturising spray after cleansing your skin.
- Wipe the excess solution with a cotton ball.
Note: Before every use, shake the bottle to redistribute the oils for better results. Also, make sure that the essential oils suit your skin condition.
3. Rice Water Face Wash:
Try this rice water face wash if you find soap and other drugstore cleansers too harsh on your skin. It is a mild cleanser that can be used by sensitive skin types also. Besides removing impurities from your skin pores, it also reduces dryness, breakouts and damage. Read on to learn the recipe:
- Raw Rice – ½ Cup.
- Water – 2 Cups.
- Glass Jar – 1.
- Extract rice water by following either soaking, boiling or fermentation methods.
- Now store the liquid in a glass container.
To Wash Your Face:
- Use a cotton ball and dip it in rice water.
- Clean your face using circular movements to remove makeup, oil, and dirt traces.
- You can also splash the water on your face and massage it for 1-2 minutes. Repeat if necessary.
For Body Wash:
- In a bucket of water, add 1 cup of fermented rice water.
- Add a few drops of essential bath oils for hydration and relaxation.
- Soak your body in the water tub or pour it on your body and bath.
4. Fermented Rice Water Face Mask:
This face mask can reverse the signs of aging and give you a youthful appearance. It offers deep hydration to reduce wrinkles, fine lines, spots, and other visible signs of ageing. Along with that, the mask also helps you relax and enjoy a spa-like experience at home. With just two ingredients, you are on the way to discovering never-before-seen skin!
- Fermented Rice Water.
- Thick Tissue Paper or Plain Sheet Mask.
- Soak the tissue or dry sheet mask in fermented rice water.
- Allow the material to absorb the solution completely.
- Now, place it evenly on a clean, dry face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Slowly, take it off your face and let it dry naturally.
Does Rice Water Have Any Side Effects On Skin?
Rice water is probably one of the rare ingredients, mainly free from side effects. It suits all skin types and conditions. Even matured rice water or rice wine does not damage the skin and offers plenty of benefits. However, using rice water stored for more than 5 days is not advisable, as it can turn rancid and ineffective.
We hope this article provided an eye-opener on the importance of using rice water for skin. With even international brands going gaga over this ingredient, there is no shortage of readymade rice water products. Although they last longer and save you plenty of time and effort, the heavy price tag makes us wonder if homemade stuff is better! Why? You can make them fresh by using everyday ingredients and enjoying K-beauty-like results at home!