Many of us are prone to scalp conditions like dandruff, flakiness. Though every one of us tries to maintain healthy skin and body, we forget things like hair care and lose precious hair. Regular shampoos available in the market do very little to treat them, but sometimes they worsen the condition. This is one of the reasons why doctors recommend Salicylic acid shampoos. The critical ingredient works as an exfoliating agent, by scrubbing away the dirty upper layer of your scalp. It also reduces sebum production and grime that block your pores.
Here is a list of Salicylic acid shampoos available in India, if you wish to get instant relief from itchiness, redness, or greasy scalp. Choose your pick.
Popular and Best Salicylic Acid Shampoos:
1. L’Oreal Professionnel Serie Expert Volumetry Shampoo:
The Serie Expert Volumetry Shampoo is especially useful for thinning hair. The Salicylic acid and intra-Cycalane TM work best in exfoliating your scalp and cleanse it by removing impurities and dandruff, making your hair bouncy.
Key Ingredients: Salicylic Acid, Mipa-Laureth Sulfate, Sodium, Glycerin, Castor Oil, Avocado Oil.
- It is suited for fine hair.
- Its fragrance is fresh.
- Makes your hair bouncy.
- It has sulfates.
2. DHS Sal Shampoo:
One of the best brands that provide Salicylic acid shampoos is DHS. The properties of Salicylic acid in Sal shampoo by DHS is essential in treating the common problem like dandruff to severe skin conditions like Psoriasis or Seborrheic dermatitis. It also helps you cope with scalp imperfections by washing off the crusty, flaky scalp.
Key ingredients: Salicylic Acid USP 3%, Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin, Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl, Hydroxysultaine, PEG 8 Distearate, Disodium EDTA.
- Soothes your itching scalp.
- It is useful in removing dandruff.
- Treats scalp buildup from Psoriasis.
- It is pricy and not available readily.
- Consists of sulfates.
3. Neutrogena T/Sal Scalp Build-Up Control Shampoo:
This shampoo has no color and no fragrance by Neutrogena. It consists of Salicylic Acid and takes a mild, gentle approach to treat your scalp and hair problems. It also helps relieve itchiness and hair fall, depending on flaking or the medical conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis dandruff and psoriasis.
Key Ingredients: 3% Salicylic Acid, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Hexylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-22, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.
- Controls Dandruff.
- Removes outer flakes and itches.
- No color, fragrance, preservatives.
- Slightly strong shampoo.
- It is a bit expensive.
[See More: Mild Shampoos For Daily Use]
4. Aveda Invati Exfoliating Shampoo:
The Invati Exfoliating shampoo has ingredients like milk thistle and millet seed extracts that work wonders when combined with Densiplex TM. They uplit your damaged and thinning hair. The salicylic acid derived from wintergreen control sebum production, renewing, and replenishing your scalp.
Key Ingredients: Salicylic Acid, Cocamide Mipa, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Propanediol, Turmeric Extract, Emblica Officinalis Fruit Extract, Panax Ginseng root Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract, Lady’s Thistle Extract, Millet Seed Oil, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Kukui Seed Oil, Glycerin.
- Reduces hair-fall.
- Prevents breakage of hair.
- Naturally derived Salicylic acid.
- Color safe.
- Not easily available.
5. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo:
This shampoo is beneficial in cleansing your scalp as it uses an infusion of African black soap with Salicylic acid and shea butter. It helps cleanse your scalp of conditions like dandruff without removing essential oils from your scalp.
Key Ingredients: Deionized Water, Sugar Beets, African Black Soap, Salicylic Acid, Willow Extract, Neem Oil, Charcoal Powder, Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba Oil, Shea Oil, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract, Plantain Extract, Honeysuckle, and Japanese Honeysuckle
- All the extracts are natural.
- Help treat scalp issues.
- It makes your hair look clean.
- It is costly.
- Not readily available.
[See More: Best Volumizing Shampoos In India]
6. Redken For Men Mint Clean Invigorating Shampoo:
Many people think men don’t need hair care; that doesn’t mean they don’t care.! Here is a shampoo for men by Redken. Salicylic acid, protein complex with an infusion of peppermint to rejuvenate and replenish your scalp. The mint in this shampoo keeps your hair refreshed and gives you a tingling sensation.
Key Ingredients: Citrus, geranium, eucalyptus, rosemary, and musk Eau Sodium Laureth Sulfate Polysorbate 21 Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Cocamide Mipa Hexylene Glycol Sodium Chloride Parfum / Fragrance Sodium Benzoate Menthol Salicylic Acid Polyquaternium-10 Hydrolyzed Malt Extract Limonene Linalool Hydrolyzed Soy Protein Butylene Glycol Sodium Acetate Pentylene Glycol Isopropyl Alcohol Sodium Hydroxide Citric Acid
- It is suited for all head types, including sensitive scalps.
- Reduces flakes and itching.
- Minty fresh smell from your hair.
- Exclusively for men.
- It is costly.
- Not readily available in India.
[See More: Beer Shampoos In India]
7. Denorex Extra Strength Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner:
This shampoo has 3% salicylic acid, which controls dandruff, itching, and flaking related to seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis and prevent their recurrence. It is also enriched with vitamins making your hair beautiful. It also has an inbuilt conditioner that gives your hair the shine you expect from any conditioner.
Ingredients: 3% Salicylic acid, menthol, panthenol, vitamin E acetate, propylene glycol
- It controls flaking and scalp build-up.
- Relieves scalp irritation and itching
- High on price.
- Not easily available.
8. Garnier Fructis Volume Extend Shampoo:
Losing volume in the hair and scratchy scalp is a big problem. This shampoo from Garnier has salicylic acid, which exfoliates your scalp without losing the natural oils. Natural fruit extracts make your hair thick and bouncy.
Key Ingredients: Salicylic acid, citric acid, pectin, glucose, cucumber fruit extract, lemon peel extract, camellia Sinensis leaf extract.
- It can be used for any hair type.
- Natural ingredients.
9. Avalon Organics Anti-Dandruff Itch & Flake Shampoo:
This shampoo is a blend of Salicylic acid, aloe vera, chamomile working in a balanced way to reduce itchiness caused by contact dermatitis and psoriasis. It nourishes your hair from the roots of hair follicles, making your hair look healthy, flake-free, and soft.
Key Ingredients: 2% Salicylic acid, lemon peel oil, orange peel oil, rosemary leaf extract, quinoa seed, sodium benzoate, menthol, potassium hydroxide.
- All the ingredients are organic.
- It is biodegradable and vegan.
- This shampoo makes your scalp flake-free.
- Contains alcohol.
How to Use Salicylic Shampoos:
The procedure of washing your hair is the same as any shampoo. Except in any specified circumstances where it is mentioned on the shampoo to follow specific instructions. If not, you can follow these steps:
- Wet your hair and apply a liberal amount of shampoo.
- Slowly massage circularly, making a rich lather, and leave it on your scalp for several minutes.
- Rinse hair properly and repeat the procedure.
- For desired results, use at least twice a week or as directed by a physician.
- Store away from direct sunlight.
Additional Suggestions and Precautions for Using Salicylic Acid Shampoos:
It is better to follow some necessary safety precautions before using a Salicylic Acid shampoo, to ensure zero damage to your hair:
- It is better to use salicylic shampoos for the short term to control dandruff. These are not for daily use.
- You may get a burning sensation or irritation if you are allergic to Salicylic acid.
- If you experience any side effects or redness, discontinue using them immediately.
- These shampoos are in no way substitutes for medications if you are suffering from chronic dandruff issues.
- It is always necessary to pick a proper conditioner, as Salicylic acid shampoos can dry your hair.
With the plethora of Salicylic shampoos in India, pick one that works best for you. We provided you with a link so that you can access the online store to buy it quickly. Though pricy, these products are worth every penny as they give you excellent results. Along with these shampoos, maintaining healthy hair keeps your scalp problems away. Do tell us how and which product worked for you.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
Q1. Can We Use Salicylic Shampoos Every Day?
Ans: Dermatologists suggest using them in moderation as using salicylic shampoos cause scalp irritation when used daily. Refer to your doctor if you have sensitive skin before you use these shampoos.
Q2. Can Salicylic Acid Shampoos Cause Hair Loss?
Ans: Shampoos with salicylic shampoos are very effective in preventing dandruff and some chronic skin conditions like psoriasis. But salicylic acid breaks down your scales, which temporarily cause hair loss.
Q3. What Are The Side Effects of Salicylic Acid?
Ans: If you are allergic to salicylic acid, you might have some strong reactions. Some of them are vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, light headedness, shortness of breath, skin irritation.